PDA

View Full Version : overnight parking by Dahlgren Campground

susquehannaslim
04-28-2009, 21:48
Are there overnight parking opportunities in the area of Dahlgren Backpacker Campground or Turner Gap in Maryland?

Pacific Tortuga
04-28-2009, 23:01
I think the old restaurant, name ???, will, as long as there are no weddings. PM Lone Wolf, I'm sure he'll know or know someone who does.

Skyline
04-28-2009, 23:45
It's the South Mountain Inn.

I've parked there overnight, as far away from the action as I could get. No problem. No idea if it's officially sanctioned by the restaurant, but I do know hikers who have patronized the usually swank establishment in their hiker duds and no one seemed to mind. They didn't get prime tables, but they got prime food.

Mrs Baggins
04-29-2009, 05:32
At least in 2003 the answer was NO, the restaurant would not allow any parking for hikers. There is a graveled lot across the road or at least there used to be. Ownership and/or attitudes at the Inn may have changed since then and they may allow it.

CowHead
04-29-2009, 05:41
Yes there's overnight parking at the inn the whole backrow of the parking lot is for AT hikers park there a few weeks ago

CowHead
04-29-2009, 05:42
It's the South Mountain Inn.

I've parked there overnight, as far away from the action as I could get. No problem. No idea if it's officially sanctioned by the restaurant, but I do know hikers who have patronized the usually swank establishment in their hiker duds and no one seemed to mind. They didn't get prime tables, but they got prime food.

Yes the food is out of this world great restaurant

Don H
04-29-2009, 08:17
South Mountain Inn has parking, it is marked by signs as parking for the AT. I called them last year before taking my Scout troop there on a hike and they gave me approval over the phone but I don't think asking is necessary.

Mrs Baggins
04-29-2009, 08:23
South Mountain Inn has parking, it is marked by signs as parking for the AT. I called them last year before taking my Scout troop there on a hike and they gave me approval over the phone but I don't think asking is necessary.

I'm glad to hear they've changed their attitude. We had a friend drop off us off there once (2003) and got the evil eye for parking in the lot long enough to unload our packs.

sly dog
04-29-2009, 09:42
One time when I did a day or two out with the woman there we parked in the Washington monument park where there was overnight parking lots for hikers and sobo'd to the campground then next day nobo to Annapolis rocks for a night then back to the car. Very safe parking being youth groups and scouts usually stay in the monument park. I think the Dahlgren campground is just like a mile or just over to monument park.