PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for a 2 night AT trip?

ericrhett
04-28-2009, 23:35
Hi! I can only afford a 3 day/2 night trip on the AT this year. Fairly experienced minimalist camper. Going solo in late July..Is it too hot for a N.C. portion? Would Maine be better in July? Any recs for a one way 20-25 mile hike? How can I arrange for a ride back..hitchhike? Thanks for the input!
Cheers,
Eric

Kirby
04-28-2009, 23:49
Maine would be miserable in July.

traildust
04-29-2009, 08:27
Go to Georgia or NC. Lots of ways and resources there to get to and from the trail within a 25 to 30 mile section.

Rockhound
04-29-2009, 08:46
Standing Bear to Hot Springs. Just over 30 miles. A little further than you were planning but you have people that can shuttle you at either end and you get to hang out on Max Patch

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 08:48
Go to Georgia or NC. Lots of ways and resources there to get to and from the trail within a 25 to 30 mile section.

But its July. It gets all kinds of hot. I guess it depends on your tolerance for the heat. A great section would be to do Carvers Gap to Kincora. Gives you the balds, and the humps plus, Grassy Ridge. Maybe the Mt Rogers, Grayson Highlands section. Franklin to NOC. Yea July is tough. The humidity is a bit of a problem but if you can handle that, these are the sections I recommend.

RiverWarriorPJ
04-29-2009, 09:17
..concur w/taco.......Kincora/Roan Mtn area..

Gray Blazer
04-29-2009, 09:39
Hi! I can only afford a 3 day/2 night trip on the AT this year. Fairly experienced minimalist camper. Going solo in late July..Is it too hot for a N.C. portion? Would Maine be better in July? Any recs for a one way 20-25 mile hike? How can I arrange for a ride back..hitchhike? Thanks for the input!
Cheers,
Eric

Hi, I enjoyed your football career at UF. (Are you that Eric Rhett?)

I see you are from Clearwater. I graduated from CHS in '72.

Two of the closest places to access the AT in NC are near Franklin and Sam's Gap north of Asheville (both about 8 hours drive from Gainesville, FL).

July is usually cool above 4000 ft. in NC.

I usually hike in one way for a coupla days and then hike back to where I left my vehicle. But that's just me.

If you start at the top at Wayah Bald (Franklin) you could hike to the NOC at Wesser. Easy 2 day hike in the Nantahalas with good views. Ron Haven (WB member) does lots of shuttling in that area.

If you start at Sam's Gap you could hike towards Erwin, go over Big Bald (one of my fave places to camp). Miss Janet (WB member) is the one to see about shuttles in Erwin (although there is an alternative right when you get into Erwin).

Wayah Bald and Sam's Gap are both safe places to leave your vehicle. Ron Haven and Miss Janet are both trail legends and 2 people you don't want to miss.

Peace out.

Blissful
04-29-2009, 11:13
July is usually hot everywhere - though in the south you get much more humidity with the hot, so take your pick and how far you want to travel, etc.

If you are not experienced backpacking, might look at Shenandoah. But I would go another time of year there to see the views.

Maybe Roan Mtn area and the balds.