PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Shenandoah

gzimmer2
04-29-2009, 00:15
I'm planning a 4-day, 5 night backpacking trip, and I'd like to do a loop through the southwest portion of the park, beginning at Loft Mountain. First of all, is there parking at Loft Mountain? And secondly, how difficult a journey would Rock Mountain down to Wildcat Ridge make, looping back up the AT to Loft Mountain? Thanks all.

RiverWarriorPJ
04-29-2009, 03:54
lottsa parking......campground......reat area.....& numerous over looks......best bet.....Doyles river over look...

Nicksaari
04-29-2009, 19:39
id have to pull out the map for that one. i know that you can make a huge loop w wildcat ridge. PM tomorrow or something...

nick

Blissful
04-29-2009, 20:08
Rock Mountain? No such trail. There are different trails with rock in them like Rockytop, etc. Or do you mean the Rip Rap trail with a circuit back up Wildcat? I just did that. Good loop and good camping areas in the hollow. I'm sure you can park at the Loft Mtn Wayside, but might need to check with the park.

If you also mean Rockytop trail and into the Big Run, that also has good camping spots. You could probably make a huge loop using that trail, going back up to the Skyline Drive and connecting to other trails via the AT including Rip rap and Wildcat farther south, passing by Blackrock which has awesome views. Would make for a great time. But watch out for ticks - they were out in March.

Skyline
04-29-2009, 20:32
Loft Mt. Campground and all its amenities does not open until May 15 this year, in case your dates are earlier than that.

If you get PATC Map 11, South District SNP, all sorts of hikes and loops may suggest themselves. You could conceivably start and end up on Loft Mt., but I think there are better options like trailheads at Browns Gap, Doyles River Trail, Brown Mt. Overlook, Blackrock Gap, and others.

IMHO the South District--particularly the western side of the Blue Ridge--offers the most remote "wilderness" feel in all of SNP. The map will show you how quite a few of the trails in this area interact with each other so you can plan. There are dozens of possible scenarios, all good.

If you get the AT Guide for SNP, with Side Trails, you will be able to read mile-by-mile descriptions of all these trails. Many hikers use the AT as a "spine" and venture off to camp in the hollows. After all, that's where you're most likely to find the waterfalls, streams, fishing, and history.

Bulldawg
04-29-2009, 22:47
OK waterfalls are mentioned. We're passing thru SNP this weekend on the way to DC. Staying at Skyland Resort BTW, where can I find a nice waterfall to take my kids to, that is close to the road. I don't really have time for a long hike. I want to take 2 or 3 short 1-2 mile hikes. Bearfence and Hawksbill I think are two of the three, unless you guys say otherwise.

Skyline
04-29-2009, 23:37
OK waterfalls are mentioned. We're passing thru SNP this weekend on the way to DC. Staying at Skyland Resort BTW, where can I find a nice waterfall to take my kids to, that is close to the road. I don't really have time for a long hike. I want to take 2 or 3 short 1-2 mile hikes. Bearfence and Hawksbill I think are two of the three, unless you guys say otherwise.

Waterfalls closest to the road? Meaning Skyline Drive I presume...

Dark Hollow Falls, north of Big Meadows, is just under 2 mi. R/T from the trailhead on Skyline Drive

Lewis Falls, south of Big Meadows, is just over 2 mi. R/T from the trailhead on Skyline Drive

The upper falls of White Oak Canyon are closer to Skyland, but the distance R/T is 4.6 mi.

PATC publishes a nice little guidebook on all the SNP waterfalls, available at SNP visitor centers and probably the gift shops. Also available online at PATC's website but there's not enough time to have it shipped for this weekend.

Bearfence is a challenging rock scramble within your mileage limits, but I wouldn't take really young kids on this one--or anyone with vertigo.

Hawksbill Summit is the highest point in the Park, barely within your mileage limits. Worth the climb.

BTW, no waterfalls on either of these.

Trail Bug
04-30-2009, 07:56
I contacted the NPS and the wayside Grill at Loft Mountain will open on the 23 April.
It is just the campstore that will not open until the 15th May

nelisx
04-30-2009, 08:57
a couple of us are walking from rockfish to loft mountain this weekend. maybe we'll see you on the trail! i'll be the red headed dude with the fro'

gzimmer2
05-03-2009, 15:05
Thanks all. I should be trekking the southwest May 19-24.