PDA

View Full Version : Assault on AT near Hot Springs?

Pages : [1] 2 3

John B
04-29-2009, 09:03
Was this guy caught?

From Mosey's TJ,
April 12:We had dinner at the one open local restaurant where we enjoyed a steak meal and lots of trail talk with Vagrant and the Kiwi's. Mr. Kiwi had a trail altercation with another hiker and was nursing an injured shoulder. We had met the perpetrator before and decided he was someone to stay away from. We're told that the authorities are still investigating this unfortunate incident. In the meantime, the word has gotten out on the trail about our bad boy hiker. Hopefully we won't see him again. The Kiwi's are two of the nicest hikers we've met and it's a shame that visitors to our country have to experience a trail jerk. Fortunately, we've only met this one bad apple.
April 14: We didn't start hiking until 10:00 after a last conversation with the Kiwi's who are staying in Hot Springs until Ron's shoulder is checked out again. Then they'll either get back on the trail or go somewhere else to get Ron's shoulder fixed. It's our understanding that the authorities are now looking for the individual who assaulted Ron last week.

From Vagrant's TJ,
April 9:Ron's shoulder in real bad shape. We had to stop for a short day.
April 18: "Ron and Merryll drove to Erwin to see me. That means they are off the AT. Ron's shoulder is bad enough he is willing to stop. It's a very hard choice for him. But potentially damaging it permanently is in the balance. Not worth the risk even for an adventure like this."

Lone Wolf
04-29-2009, 09:17
the alleged guy was here in town sunday and left monday

DAJA
04-29-2009, 10:50
Any other info on this guy, or the incident? Is he the same person Trailangelmary was warning folks about?

winger
04-29-2009, 11:12
Was a complaint not filed with the authorities by the Kiwis?

Slimer
04-29-2009, 11:21
The first post clearly stated that "authorities are investigating"
So I guess its safe to say a complaint was filed.

Newb
04-29-2009, 11:33
It wasn't the same guy I was told about at Sassafras Shelter who is literally hiking with nothing and bumming equipment and food from people along the way....that was an odd story told to me at the campfire. (April 14th)

winger
04-29-2009, 11:41
The statement that the authorities are "investigating" does not necessarily constitute an official sworn complaint against the alleged bad guy, and it is more odd that this individual was known to be in Damascus and no action was taken? :-?
So far, a lot of troubling heresay, but very unfortunate that a visitor(s) to the AT has had to come off the trail because of a run in with anyone on the trail. Can you imagine how the Kiwis must feel after all their hard planning just to begin their hike?

JEBjr
04-29-2009, 12:24
More from Trail Journals on the subject matter.

It took me longer than I had expected to reach the Stan Murray shelter, and I arrived at the sign for Overmountain shelter (the barn) at 12:45. Unfortunately, I took the wrong sidepath, which cost me 22 minutes and a lot of effort to climb back uphill... No one else was at the shelter when I arrived, and I could not find a trail registry. I felt no draw to sleep in the barn, so I ate my lunch, packed up, and headed out. Before I left, I read the markered message on the shelter boards that were written by 'Spike', and wondered if this was the same guy that I had heard many stories about (and told to stay away from). He had hit another thru-hiker from New Zealand and knocked him to the ground at one of the shelters, and now this man had to have surgery on his shoulder and had to go home, unable to finish most of the hike. The message written on the boards talked about this person's military service and how we should all be thankful for those that have served, etc, and how he wanted to meet and shake the hands of other service members. I got a creepy feeling from this act of attention, and did not want to linger there any longer. I met Bound and Hellbender on their way in and told them I'd see them tomorrow. They still weren't sure where they were going to stop.

bulldog49
04-29-2009, 14:08
More from Trail Journals on the subject matter.

It took me longer than I had expected to reach the Stan Murray shelter, and I arrived at the sign for Overmountain shelter (the barn) at 12:45. Unfortunately, I took the wrong sidepath, which cost me 22 minutes and a lot of effort to climb back uphill... No one else was at the shelter when I arrived, and I could not find a trail registry. I felt no draw to sleep in the barn, so I ate my lunch, packed up, and headed out. Before I left, I read the markered message on the shelter boards that were written by 'Spike', and wondered if this was the same guy that I had heard many stories about (and told to stay away from). He had hit another thru-hiker from New Zealand and knocked him to the ground at one of the shelters, and now this man had to have surgery on his shoulder and had to go home, unable to finish most of the hike. The message written on the boards talked about this person's military service and how we should all be thankful for those that have served, etc, and how he wanted to meet and shake the hands of other service members. I got a creepy feeling from this act of attention, and did not want to linger there any longer. I met Bound and Hellbender on their way in and told them I'd see them tomorrow. They still weren't sure where they were going to stop.

Whose journal is this from?

Christus Cowboy
04-29-2009, 14:42
A little more info would be helpful if it is available such physical description, trail name, etc..... I met a guy around Wayah Bald shelter a couple of weeks ago that was very strange and appeared to be well known as someone to stay away from.... His name wasn't Spike though....

hoz
04-29-2009, 18:55
Wonder what set "Spike" off?

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 19:42
Saw his entry at Mtn Harbour.

Have been noticing alot of evidence of "squating" in shelters and campsites.

Marta
04-29-2009, 19:59
Last weekend, north of Hot Springs, we ran into a guy who was walking on the Trail carrying a variety of suitcases and things. More than a little strange.

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 20:02
Last weekend, north of Hot Springs, we ran into a guy who was walking on the Trail carrying a variety of suitcases and things. More than a little strange.

I think his name is Two Pack. We may have met him at Standing Bear. Was he an older guy?

Marta
04-29-2009, 20:31
Probably older than you are; possibly not older than I am.

One of the bags he was carrying was a nylon suitcase with a shoulder strap. But he had several others. He looked like a disorganized traveler walking down the concourse.

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 20:33
Probably older than you are; possibly not older than I am.
Im just sayin, I think we met him and know who you are talking about.

Scrapes
04-29-2009, 22:12
Whats with all the riddles? Spell it out if there is a problem hiker, it could save someone some aggravation.

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 22:15
I think his name is Two Pack. We may have met him at Standing Bear. Was he an older guy?

T-W-O P-A-C-K. Not saying he is a problem, just saying he doesnt seem to be a hiker.
S-P-I-K-E. Seems to be a bit of a problem.

DAJA
04-29-2009, 22:18
S-P-I-K-E. Seems to be a bit of a problem.

Agreed, he has ruined one couples hike...

phishpapond
04-29-2009, 23:28
Anyone know what went down. How it all got started.

curtisvowen
04-30-2009, 06:47
1. "2pack" the hiker is cool, worked for me and his gear is legit.
2. I got an email from (Ron & Merryll burr) aka the Mad Kiwis, Ron is the guy that "Spike" assaulted. Ron and Merryll are in there 60's, both less then 6' tall.
Ron's version is that Spike accused him of punching him in the face. As Ron left the shelter, Spike punched Ron in the back of the shoulder. Ron has torn ligaments on his rotator cuff, he's in Ohio with friends and hopes to have surgery here in the States and then get back on the trail, hopefully within 2 months.
Ron said that if he did hit Spike in the face that Spike would still be lying there.
Spike - claims to be ex-military and a pro cage fighter and needs off the trail.
I hope, I know you Yanks up North of the trail will take care of business.

zoidfu
04-30-2009, 06:52
A description to go along with the name would be nice to have.

zoidfu
04-30-2009, 06:57
And why haven't the police caught up with this guy yet? They could probably do it pretty easily if they wanted to.

curtisvowen
04-30-2009, 07:05
Don't have a description. The folks up in Damascus might since he was sighted up there.
I don't know what the Mad Kiwis want to do. I emailed them this morning (5/30) and offered to help track him. The ball is in his court.

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 08:12
1. "2pack" the hiker is cool, worked for me and his gear is legit.
2. I got an email from (Ron & Merryll burr) aka the Mad Kiwis, Ron is the guy that "Spike" assaulted. Ron and Merryll are in there 60's, both less then 6' tall.
Ron's version is that Spike accused him of punching him in the face. As Ron left the shelter, Spike punched Ron in the back of the shoulder. Ron has torn ligaments on his rotator cuff, he's in Ohio with friends and hopes to have surgery here in the States and then get back on the trail, hopefully within 2 months.
Ron said that if he did hit Spike in the face that Spike would still be lying there.
Spike - claims to be ex-military and a pro cage fighter and needs off the trail.
I hope, I know you Yanks up North of the trail will take care of business.

Yea I should have clarified about 2pack. He seemed harmless, just the whole carrying suitcases thing that caught us by surprise. Sorry Curtis.
So this Spike guy should get hunted down!

DAJA
04-30-2009, 08:12
This is a journal from the night of the incident.

From TJ's Jennifer and Greg Olson's journal dated April 8, 2009 at Groundhog Shelter:

We slept very well in the cabin! So warm! Only 2 more days and about 33 miles until we meet our friends. A lot of the snow on the ground had melted overnight, at Standing Bear anyway. We got packed up and headed out. The trail was pretty good to begin with, only muddy. The trail became icier and slicker and more covered in snow as the hike went on. The trail became some slick and was almost impossible to stay upright while walking. The huge climb up Snowbird Mt. was tough and our legs were so tired from trying to stay on our feet. And we thought hiking in the mud was bad! It took us about 7 hours to get 7 miles to the first shelter. We decided to stay there, we were tired and knew the trail would get worse. The Mad Kiwi's were there and their friend Vagrant. Atreyu and Sassafras also decided to stay. There was just enough room for everyone in the shelter. Although everything was covered in snow we managed to get a pretty good fire. Later, Spike and the Little Engine came in and Minnesota Smith. Spike caused some problems and killed the good time we were having. Never got too cold during the night so we slept pretty comfy.

MintakaCat
04-30-2009, 08:46
I found this photo on Trail Journals of Spike's message to the world:

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/4267/tj4267_042809_154657_433112.jpg

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 09:08
Yea we saw this at Overmountain last week. Guy reminds me of Walking Man.

DAJA
04-30-2009, 09:28
Huh, I guess Spike doesn't feel the kiwis should enjoy the same rights and freedoms on the trail.

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 09:38
Huh, I guess Spike doesn't feel the kiwis should enjoy the same rights and freedoms on the trail.

Im going on a limb here. We have met some really great men and women on the trail this year. One guy we met this March at Miss Janet's in Franklin, ex military. He had some adjustments to make with the whole hiking thing and dealing with PTSD. We ran into him at Standing Bear and he is doing so well. Having the time of his life and just going with the flow now.
Then we met a guy outside of Franklin that was a complete a**hole telling us that we owed him because he is ex military. I am not saying anything against anyone in the service. I commend them! I appreciate what people like Sgt Rock and Lone Wolf and others have done for this country. I do think that SOME of these people on the trail have become unstable and want a huge thank you from everyone that passes or else they are going to get upset. Now, I know they have seen things that most of us cannot even fathom. It really upsets me when people in general, harrass people on the trail, but when you assault someone that has done nothing, you dont deserve the rights and freedoms on the trail.
Thank you to those who have served and are serving!

DAJA
04-30-2009, 09:46
Frankly, I don't care if your ex-military, current military, the president or the pope, if your an A-hole your an A-hole... No amount of credentials, degree's or medals will change that... And if you willfully hurt someone that is not putting you at risk, you are an A-hole.

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 09:52
Frankly, I don't care if your ex-military, current military, the president or the pope, if your an A-hole your an A-hole... No amount of credentials, degree's or medals will change that... And if you willfully hurt someone that is not putting you at risk, you are an A-hole.

you just made my point thanks!:D

Many Walks
04-30-2009, 10:07
Exactly! This guy needs to quit intimidating and hurting people or get off the trail!!!

Plain and simple, it's no place for that kind of behavior. Don't care who it is.

RiverWarriorPJ
04-30-2009, 10:12
..on my last stay in Damascus I met a hiker who was a SEAL in the Navy......but he couldn't recall his class or Team number...after I got him to admit it was a lie, I followed w/a short and quiet ass chewing.... he replied....
"just my luck to run into a retired Navy guy way out here".....jerk....lol...

take-a-knee
04-30-2009, 10:20
..on my last stay in Damascus I met a hiker who was a SEAL in the Navy......but he couldn't recall his class or Team number...after I got him to admit it was a lie, I followed w/a short and quiet ass chewing.... he replied....
"just my luck to run into a retired Navy guy way out here".....jerk....lol...

Job well done.

Newb
04-30-2009, 10:50
So...are there assault charges pending and, if so, is there a warrant for "SPIKE"?

ki0eh
04-30-2009, 13:58
This is a journal from the night of the incident.

From TJ's Jennifer and Greg Olson's journal dated April 8, 2009 at Groundhog Shelter:

* * * Later, Spike and the Little Engine came in and Minnesota Smith. Spike caused some problems and killed the good time we were having. Never got too cold during the night so we slept pretty comfy.

No report from MS?

Darwin again
04-30-2009, 14:00
Somebody needs to drop a dime (call the police) on this guy if they encounter him. He sounds like a mental case.
If nobody does anything about him, there will be other victims down the road.

Darwin again
04-30-2009, 14:11
Maybe his mug in in someone's picture set on Trailjournals?

chelko
04-30-2009, 14:16
How funny that SPIKE and Minnasota Smith would show up at the shelter together. Not very often that you get two a**hole hikers in the same place at the same time.

ki0eh
04-30-2009, 14:18
How funny that SPIKE and Minnasota Smith would show up at the shelter together. Not very often that you get two a**hole hikers in the same place at the same time.

Seems folks usually complain in their TJ's about meeting Mr. Smith, way to move up in the world I guess.

John B
04-30-2009, 14:26
I saw that in Jennifer Olson's TJ, too. She said he woke her up that morning by shining his headlight in her face "looking for his bag." She also wrote:

"The Mad Kiwi's let us stay with them. We ran to the Iron Horse for a quick meal and back to Sunnybrook Inn. The Kiwi's hhave been there letting Ron's shoulder heal. The night at Groundhog shelter, Spike punched Ron in the back and his shoulder was messed up pretty bad. He is worried he may not be able to get back on the trail. We sure will miss them if they leave and go back to New Zealand! "

nufsaid
04-30-2009, 14:51
Don't assume Spike is actually ex military. Some wackos claim to have personal knowledge that 9/11 was an inside job. Wackos come from all categories of people. Don't let a wacko define the category.

curtisvowen
04-30-2009, 14:57
I found this photo on Trail Journals of Spike's message to the world:

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/4267/tj4267_042809_154657_433112.jpg

Note what Spike says...I served with 3/9....
As for me, I served with HQ 3/9 the "Walking Dead" Regiment out of Okinawa in 1978-1979...that was the 3rd Marine Division, not the 1rst Marine Division as noted in "Spikes" paper....the 1rst Division during that time was based in Pendelton, California. Maybe 3/9 rotated to the states? Don't know.
He's kickin' off as a former Marine....a brother (if he is)....so I'm sorta obligated to help up to a point....its the mental tattoo we have....that's another story..
His MOS, skill level is 0300 series...thats combat arms....been awhile...0311 is infantry....after that any 0300 series is heavy weapons...mortors....machine gun crew etc.
Another issue...I've had 2 prior service hikers...did the tour...Iraq war stuff...them boys waz messed up....not saying "Spike" got the "post war" problem...I doubt he did...sounds like he's making things up...maybe had a hard go at things...who knows...just sayin"
Peace Out
Curtis
Standing Bear Hostel

winger
04-30-2009, 15:04
Per LW's post he left out of damascus 4 days ago which would put him some 30-60 miles up the trail? I don't understand, that if a official sworn complaint was placed against him, why he hasn't been apprehended. The AT is a two way corridor, with known access points (towns) and the guy has been identified by multiple persons, any of whom could give a good description. If the "authorities" aren't really involved, then the trail community should be alerted by all means available, or else, potentially, there will be further trouble, possibly even escalating beyond a shoulder injury.

Newb
04-30-2009, 15:17
That photo proves vandalism if he wrote it directly on the shelter wall. This may be a one man crime wave.

SawnieRobertson
04-30-2009, 15:20
Please, let's have a description of this guy--size, age, hair color, distinguishing things about his pack, whatever.

I regularly pick up hikers that are standing out in front of Mt. Rogers Headquarters on VA 16 and would not want to make a mistake or, for that matter, to pass hikers up that need a ride into Marion just because it might be this guy.

Also, I presume this has been reported to ATC headquarters at Harper's Ferry. Is this true?

Kinnickinic

curtisvowen
04-30-2009, 15:22
That photo proves vandalism if he wrote it directly on the shelter wall. This may be a one man crime wave.

You didn't notice the feet at the upper edge of the photo...this is a big sign.

vamelungeon
04-30-2009, 15:31
"Please come shake my hand and I will tell you how I risked my life in service to this country"

My old man is a totally disabled WWII Army veteran, and I grew up around all his DAV/VFW/American Legion friends. I am a peacetime USAF veteran, and my son is a Marine Corps veteran of the current war. I cannot imagine a real veteran making the statement on that graffiti. It could be true, but I have my doubts.

If everybody that has told me they were a Marine/Seal/Green Beret really were...well, anyway, I hope all this turns out OK for all involved.

Just a Hiker
04-30-2009, 15:37
As for me, I served with HQ 3/9 the "Walking Dead" Regiment out of Okinawa in 1978-1979...that was the 3rd Marine Division, not the 1rst Marine Division as noted in "Spikes" paper....the 1rst Division during that time was based in Pendelton, California. Maybe 3/9 rotated to the states? Don't know.
He's kickin' off as a former Marine....a brother (if he is)....so I'm sorta obligated to help up to a point....its the mental tattoo we have....that's another story..
His MOS, skill level is 0300 series...thats combat arms....been awhile...0311 is infantry....after that any 0300 series is heavy weapons...mortors....machine gun crew etc.
Another issue...I've had 2 prior service hikers...did the tour...Iraq war stuff...them boys waz messed up....not saying "Spike" got the "post war" problem...I doubt he did...sounds like he's making things up...maybe had a hard go at things...who knows...just sayin"
Peace Out
Curtis
Standing Bear Hostel

Hey Curtis! I hope you are doing well! Anyway, you are right....only 1/9 is out of Camp Pendleton! 9th Marines were split up during Vietnam and 3/9 is based in Okinawa. This guy sounds like he is having some real issues. I'll see you in the Fall Curtis...take care!

Just Jim

curtisvowen
04-30-2009, 15:44
JUST JIM...thanks for the support...been awhile with the Corps...things change....Regiments get moved around...been 20+ years ago...
For Spike to pull 3/9 out of the hat? don't know...of all Regiments, why that one?
Spike, well I'd say he is former Marine....or at least his Daddy....and well bottom line he's got issues/problems that a kick in the pants will not fix.
Let's get him off the trail please.
Regards

Newb
04-30-2009, 15:54
You didn't notice the feet at the upper edge of the photo...this is a big sign.

those look like hanging socks

Just a Hiker
04-30-2009, 15:55
JUST JIM...thanks for the support...been awhile with the Corps...things change....Regiments get moved around...been 20+ years ago...
For Spike to pull 3/9 out of the hat? don't know...of all Regiments, why that one?
Spike, well I'd say he is former Marine....or at least his Daddy....and well bottom line he's got issues/problems that a kick in the pants will not fix.
Regards

Good point Curtis.....9th Marines have been redesignated alot and have been in the Unit Deployment Program since the early 80's......I've seen them all over the world. Anyway, this guy sounds like he may need to get to a VA Hospital for a "tune up".....being on the trail is only hurting him and those around him.

Just Jim

vamelungeon
04-30-2009, 16:00
Hey Curtis! I hope you are doing well! Anyway, you are right....only 1/9 is out of Camp Pendleton! 9th Marines were split up during Vietnam and 3/9 is based in Okinawa. This guy sounds like he is having some real issues. I'll see you in the Fall Curtis...take care!

Just Jim

http://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/public/InfolineMarines.nsf/(ArticlesRead)/90C217A28F1D0D4C8525745700503C70 (http://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/public/InfolineMarines.nsf/%28ArticlesRead%29/90C217A28F1D0D4C8525745700503C70)

Unless I read that incorrectly, the 3/9 was deactivated in 1994, and reactivated last year at Camp Lejeune, and is part of the II MEU. I'm not a Marine and my son isn't here right now, but that's what I get from the official website. My point is, they are at Lejeune, not Pendelton.

http://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/Public%2FIIMEFpublic.nsf/unitSites/3bn9mar

I agree that this guy has issues and needs some help.

Just a Hiker
04-30-2009, 16:08
http://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/public/InfolineMarines.nsf/(ArticlesRead)/90C217A28F1D0D4C8525745700503C70 (http://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/public/InfolineMarines.nsf/%28ArticlesRead%29/90C217A28F1D0D4C8525745700503C70)

Unless I read that incorrectly, the 3/9 was deactivated in 1994, and reactivated last year at Camp Lejeune, and is part of the II MEU. I'm not a Marine and my son isn't here right now, but that's what I get from the official website. My point is, they are at Lejeune, not Pendelton.

http://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/Public%2FIIMEFpublic.nsf/unitSites/3bn9mar

I agree that this guy has issues and needs some help.

I am sure you are right....like I said, they get redesignated alot. When I was in 1/1, we had 1/9 attached to us and then we were all then redesignated as III MAF. It all depends on the what "Op Order" you are operating under. The Corps is fun like that...:)

Just Jim

adamkrz
04-30-2009, 16:10
Regards

Semper Fi Curtis, I was on Okinawa 78 -79 1st MAW at Futima, I/ve met quite a few fake vets since I've been out, I'll keep a eye out up here in CT if he get's this far.

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 17:07
If we can get a description right now of the guy and get the info to the ATC, Im sure he can get picked up by days end or tommorow. Im with Curtis, lets get this guy off of the trail before something ELSE happens.

JEBjr
04-30-2009, 17:26
I have no clue what he looks like but if I read the Journals correctly he and his wife stated at Mountain Harbour Hostel on the night of April 21st in a tent because the Hostel was full. If anyone knows the folks that run it, maybe they could help.

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 17:31
I have no clue what he looks like but if I read the Journals correctly he and his wife stated at Mountain Harbour Hostel on the night of April 21st in a tent because the Hostel was full. If anyone knows the folks that run it, maybe they could help.

According to LW he walked out of Dtown on Monday, that would put him just past Grayson approaching Troutdale. Is there enough to support a phone call to the authorities?

Bearpaw
04-30-2009, 17:32

0331 is a machine gunner, could be M240G (light/medium), the Mk19 40mm grenade launcher, or the .50 Cal ma deuce.

Don't know where 3/9 is now.

I was a part of "I" Battery 3/12 (historically an Okinawa unit), but stationed at Camp LeJeune with 5/10. Every 18 months, I 3/12 rotated to Okinawa for 6 months to reinforce forward deployed forces there. It was a strange designation having an artillery regiment (10th Marines) with two India Batteries, I 3/10 and I 3/12 (attached to 5/10:-?).

So any thing is possible.

But even if Spike is a brother, punching somebody in the back (shoulder) is not cool. I'm just torn on this one.

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 17:34
0331 is a machine gunner, could be M240G (light/medium), the Mk19 40mm grenade launcher, or the .50 Cal ma deuce.

Don't know where 3/9 is now.

I was a part of "I" Battery 3/12 (historically an Okinawa unit), but stationed at Camp LeJeune with 5/10. Every 18 months, I 3/12 rotated to Okinawa for 6 months to reinforce forward deployed forces there. It was a strange designation having an artillery regiment (10th Marines) with two India Batteries, I 3/10 and I 3/12 (attached to 5/10:-?).

So any thing is possible.

But even if Spike is a brother, punching somebody in the back (shoulder) is not cool. I'm just torn on this one.

It sounds like this is just the beginning. Hell, I will call the local sheriff in Troutdale and report him. Violence has no place on the AT!!!:mad:

wakapak
04-30-2009, 17:34

is his wife hiking the trail with him?? If so, where's she when he's punching others and causing problems? This is all just a little baffling to say the least.....

wakapak
04-30-2009, 17:37

Also, i do remember reading an entry from A Spike in the Mountain Harbor Journal there when we were stopped by on sat, but it was the same stuff that was scrawled on the shelter wall of Overmountain (the pic thats on this thread already). i dont recall a date on the entry though....

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 17:42
You know what, the more I think of it the more pissed i get. So when all this went down with the Kiwi's, was there anyone that witnessed it and if there was, why the hell didnt they call the police and have him arrested for assault? Why do people feel the need to let things get out of hand before the authorities are pulled in. My situation in Waynesboro last year, perfect example. I was verbally assaulted and my life was threatened by another hiker and the well being of me and other hikers was at stake. Instead of waiting til it got worse and someone got hurt, the authorities were notified and he was taken off the trail by the authorities. This is nothing to mess around with!!

zoidfu
04-30-2009, 17:42
Well, I guess this guy is a ninja or something. Always one step ahead, can't get a description...

DAJA
04-30-2009, 17:44

What exactly are you torn about? The guy just ended a couples hike. A couple who came from the otherside of the world just to get to the trail...

What possible loyalty could you feel for a coward that punches a guy in the back?

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 17:45
What exactly are you torn about? The guy just ended a couples hike. A couple who came from the otherside of the world just to get to the trail...

What possible loyalty could you feel for a coward that punches a guy in the back?

And the fact that he may be lying about his military service. That should insult you if anything!!

Rockhound
04-30-2009, 17:47
In his graffiti he talks about how he fought to protect the rights and freedoms of Americans yet he gets on the AT and abuses the rights and freedoms of others. I agree this twisted immature POS should be off the trail. I'll go 1 further and say he should busted down a couple ranks and shown that his actions are not only a disgrace to himself but to the uniform he wears. Maybe some fellow Marines could find this dick and take care of it in house and quiet like.

DAJA
04-30-2009, 17:50
In his graffiti he talks about how he fought to protect the rights and freedoms of Americans yet he gets on the AT and abuses the rights and freedoms of others. I agree this twisted immature POS should be off the trail. I'll go 1 further and say he should busted down a couple ranks and shown that his actions are not only a disgrace to himself but to the uniform he wears. Maybe some fellow Marines could find this dick and take care of it in house and quiet like.

So because this A-hole chooses to disregard others rights and freedoms, it gives us the right to ignore his? How does that make us different than him?

I agree, the guy should be removed from the trail, but lets let the proper authorities deal with him... Violence begets violence... Lets keep this civil..

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 17:51
Just called the ATC and left a message. Going to call Troutdale and MArion authorities

winger
04-30-2009, 17:52
I agree with Chaco Taco completely, this is very disturbing in the lack of established facts, no one will provide a description, there doesn't seem to be any "official" report, all for what reason(s)??? The most odd thing is that LW reports this individual to be in Damascus, so there was a positive sighting by a very reliable AT'er and yet nothing else to report??? Regardless of his claims as to being a Vet, the actions are that of a a**hole, and I for one, don't tolerate those kinds of persons, ever, in my face, under any circumstances. So what gives with this situation? Is it totally blown out of proportion or is there a level of apathy beyond comprehension? Do the moderators here not have an opinion?

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 17:53
Cannot be reported without a description. Anybody??

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 17:55
So because this A-hole chooses to disregard others rights and freedoms, it gives us the right to ignore his? How does that make us different than him?

I agree, the guy should be removed from the trail, but lets let the proper authorities deal with him... Violence begets violence... Lets keep this civil..
I agree and will restate my point. Violence doesnt solve anything and most definitely DOES NOT belong on the AT or any trail for that matter.
We have to all work together to get this guy OFF the trail now!!!

Rockhound
04-30-2009, 17:55

Never assume Daja. Where in my post do you see that I suggest violence against this person?

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 17:56
Never assume Daja. Where in my post do you see that I suggest violence against this person?
Dude did you see the guy and can you give a description???

Rockhound
04-30-2009, 17:59
I remember the Kiwis I just don't recall a "Spike". Neither does Curtis which leads me to believe he was never here. Curtis was a Marine so I'm sure this putz would have wanted to shake his hand.

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 18:02
I remember the Kiwis I just don't recall a "Spike". Neither does Curtis which leads me to believe he was never here. Curtis was a Marine so I'm sure this putz would have wanted to shake his hand.
Im going to call Wayne in Hot Springs see if he knows anything

JEBjr
04-30-2009, 18:03
I will leave a message on the trail journal I've been reading to see if the author can provide a discription. Sorry that I can't provide anything else other than locations of his alleged where abouts.

DAJA
04-30-2009, 18:03
Your right, what I "assumed" you meant by "Maybe some fellow Marines could find this dick and take care of it in house and quiet like" that you would like "fellow Marines" to give this guy a beat down... Cause, here in Eastern Canada, there are a lot of old school traditional families that often handle conflict "quitely", that usually ends badly for all involved..

If that's not what you meant, my apaulogies...

Rockhound
04-30-2009, 18:05
Actually that is exactly what I meant. Just saying you should never assume.

DAJA
04-30-2009, 18:08
I will leave a message on the trail journal I've been reading to see if the author can provide a discription. Sorry that I can't provide anything else other than locations of his alleged where abouts.

Excellent idea...

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 18:11
Tried calling Bluff Mtn outfitters, left an email with the ATC and a voice mail. Id feel better calling Troutdale with a description. Talking with a cop friend about what we can do! Little Bear, can you chime in on this when you catch up on the thread

little bear
04-30-2009, 18:41
Before you call the Police in areas north of the Trail, the assault needs to be reported in the jurisdiction that it occurred in, ie the Sheriff’s Office in the county the assault happened. Then the Law Enforcement agency with jurisdiction can investigate it. Calling the Police up the trail is not going to help if there has not been an investigation started, and the police up the trail will not be able to make an arrest on something that has not been reported or investigated.

BEFORE ANY FURHTER COMMENT ABOUT WHAT I HAVE SAID:
I am a Law Enforcement Officer with 9 years experience in; Crimes against people, Criminal investigations and other area of investigation.

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 18:49
Before you call the Police in areas north of the Trail, the assault needs to be reported in the jurisdiction that it occurred in, ie the Sheriff’s Office in the county the assault happened. Then the Law Enforcement agency with jurisdiction can investigate it. Calling the Police up the trail is not going to help if there has not been an investigation started, and the police up the trail will not be able to make an arrest on something that has not been reported or investigated.

BEFORE ANY FURHTER COMMENT ABOUT WHAT I HAVE SAID:
I am a Law Enforcement Officer with 9 years experience in; Crimes against people, Criminal investigations and other area of investigation.

So basically, unless the Kiwi's report that an assault took place, there really isnt anything anyone can do besides alert everyone north, hostels, motels etc..

winger
04-30-2009, 18:50
As Little Bear refers to and I have questioned early on, has there in fact been an "official" compliant by the victim in this situation? If not then this perpetrator (alleged), is walking 'scot free', so to speak, and all this drama is for naught, until he assaults someone else!

JEBjr
04-30-2009, 18:53
Hope you aren't the officer that cought me urinating in public behind Shagger's Beach Club in Dunn. Guess that was more than 9 years ago.:-)

I think a discription would be nice for those out on the trail. Whether the New Zealanders press charges or not is up to them.

Truthfully I have no idea whether the guy has done anything or not. A the very least sounds like he is not someone I would want to be sharing a shelter with.

vamelungeon
04-30-2009, 18:54
So basically, unless the Kiwi's report that an assault took place, there really isnt anything anyone can do besides alert everyone north, hostels, motels etc..
Actually, before police in Virginia can do anything there has to be a warrant on file in the state where the crime occurred AND that jurisdiction must be willing to extradite. If not, nothing can be done here in Virginia since he has apparently not committed a crime in Virginia.

Bearpaw
04-30-2009, 18:56

I'm torn on whether or not to believe he is a Marine.

DAJA
04-30-2009, 18:56
Ahhh... understandable...

take-a-knee
04-30-2009, 19:04
Anyone have any idea how big this MOFO is? If he's a Lyle Alzeda looking MMA contender that's one thing, but if he's the typical scrawny or potgut AT hiker, someone ( or several) needs to just put him in his place. The authorities shouldn't even be involved in this, it oughta be handled on the spot. We are talking about the southern Appalachian mountains after all.

winger
04-30-2009, 19:06
Size, in this situation, doesn't matter, sorry.

Lone Wolf
04-30-2009, 19:27
It sounds like this is just the beginning. Hell, I will call the local sheriff in Troutdale and report him. Violence has no place on the AT!!!:mad:

ere is no local sheriff in troutdale and unless charges have been filed nothing can be done to this alleged assaulter

Lone Wolf
04-30-2009, 19:28
Well, I guess this guy is a ninja or something. Always one step ahead, can't get a description...

i could go out right now and find him within 2 hours or less

Lone Wolf
04-30-2009, 19:32
Just called the ATC and left a message. Going to call Troutdale and MArion authorities

you're acting on emotions not facts. you best back off before you start something you may regret

winger
04-30-2009, 19:32
LW, how is that possible, as he left out of Damascus, per your account on Monday? Or else something else is afoot...

Lone Wolf
04-30-2009, 19:35
LW, how is that possible, as he left out of Damascus, per your account on Monday? Or else something else is afoot...

how is what possible? me finding him? he's prolly eatin' pizza at MR headquarters right now

winger
04-30-2009, 19:37
Seems you know much more about the situation than you're letting on?

fiddlehead
04-30-2009, 19:38
Anyone have any idea how big this MOFO is? If he's a Lyle Alzeda looking MMA contender that's one thing, but if he's the typical scrawny or potgut AT hiker, someone ( or several) needs to just put him in his place. The authorities shouldn't even be involved in this, it oughta be handled on the spot. We are talking about the southern Appalachian mountains after all.

Yeah a whiteblaze vigilante posse!
Can i come and watch?

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 19:38
This was just passed on to me

Hello Chaco Taco,

Not sure, ( as there may be a bunch of "Spikes" out there ) but the photo states ; " Rambo ", " Little Engine " and " Spike "... those 2 names were stated on an earlier post...taken on 4/10 ...

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=427771

Also, a link to another journal stating that the attack was 4/8 & charges were filed in Hot Springs, N.C.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=433112

LW I hear ya. I just know how my situation was and dont wish it on anyone!!! I should back off.

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 19:40
you're acting on emotions not facts. you best back off before you start something you may regret

Yea I stopped to think about that. I just notified the ATC and not the police.

Lone Wolf
04-30-2009, 19:43
Yea I stopped to think about that. I just notified the ATC and not the police.

it's sounds like a buncha BS to me. this guy ain't tryin' to hide and nobody can confirm this alleged assault. buncha internet detectives and gossipers

winger
04-30-2009, 19:50
And if it isn't a bunch of BS?

DAJA
04-30-2009, 19:51
it's sounds like a buncha BS to me. this guy ain't tryin' to hide and nobody can confirm this alleged assault. buncha internet detectives and gossipers

So the kiwis going off the trail is bs? Or do the kiwis actually exist at all?:D

rickb
04-30-2009, 19:53
Duplicate post deleted.

rickb
04-30-2009, 19:54

Looks like someone calling himself Spike is (allegedly) guilty of damaging public property by way of graffiti.

That is if the person reporting the whereabouts of that sign was not making the story up out of whole cloth.

Lets hope the alleged individual doesn't tag The Place, or other hostels.

That would be wrong. Allegedly.

Lone Wolf
04-30-2009, 19:55
Duplicate post deleted.

he stayed at the place on the lawn and didn't do anything

DAJA
04-30-2009, 20:00
Can anyone provide a description of the fella so others can at least be aware...

Egads
04-30-2009, 20:02
Check out the photo on the link of post 99

take-a-knee
04-30-2009, 20:06
Yeah a whiteblaze vigilante posse!
Can i come and watch?

You can stand on the roof and fiddle.

Lone Wolf
04-30-2009, 20:12
Check out the photo on the link of post 99

that's the spike that was here sunday 26 april

winger
04-30-2009, 20:14
So what did he have to say? At that time you didn't know about any of the accusations.

Lone Wolf
04-30-2009, 20:17
So what did he have to say? At that time you didn't know about any of the accusations.

i didn't talk to him. why would i? cuz someone says he beat someone else? believe half of what you say and none of what you hear. maybe you should go look for him. try in Atkins tomorrow

winger
04-30-2009, 20:25
Thanks for the tip.

clured
04-30-2009, 20:30
God I hate hearing about this kind of crap. Why can't people just be cool? This dude obviously needs to be off the trail, one way or another...

Alaskanhkr23
04-30-2009, 20:43
i would of put my 460 in his face and saiD i hope u gotta a bigger gun -But thats just the Alaskan way

DAJA
04-30-2009, 20:48
i would of put my 460 in his face and saiD i hope u gotta a bigger gun -But thats just the Alaskan way

Ok, good.. But your shoulder is already injured. Your hike is over...

Skidsteer
04-30-2009, 20:48
A reminder. It's all hearsay and gossip thus far. No data.

Bearpaw
04-30-2009, 20:57
A reminder. It's all hearsay and gossip thus far. No data.

True. I'm sitting here reading this with a lot more new questions than original ones I've had answered. A lot of things don't seem to add up.

For now, I'll just wish the best for the Kiwis and hope they can get back out on the trail again.

Lugnut
04-30-2009, 21:01
All rumors. This thread seems like Chicken Little running around yelling 'the sky is falling!'.

kyhipo
04-30-2009, 21:02
i didn't talk to him. why would i? cuz someone says he beat someone else? believe half of what you say and none of what you hear. maybe you should go look for him. try in Atkins tomorrow i here ya!I did when trixty was on the trail mr IRA specs.told him to quit hurting people,seen him in md and was drinking at a biker local bar and ran into him again and well got little upset.ky

River Runner
05-01-2009, 00:17
Wonder if there is any possibility this Spike guy could have traveled as far as Punchbowl Mountain where Ken Knight, the missing hiker, was last seen? I hope there is not a connection between the two problems.

MintakaCat
05-01-2009, 05:17
Wonder if there is any possibility this Spike guy could have traveled as far as Punchbowl Mountain where Ken Knight, the missing hiker, was last seen? I hope there is not a connection between the two problems.

It's just a coincidence. The missing hiker was last seen near Bedford VA on Sunday. The character of this thread was last seen near Damascus, VA on Sunday.

That's a distance of over 150 miles, so I don't think so.

curtisvowen
05-01-2009, 06:47
1. Mad Kiwis are real, they stayed with me at the Hostel.
2. I've exchanged several emails with Ron Burr husband half of the Mad Kiwis.
3. He's told me that he "handed over the case to the Rangers on the trail", I don't know exactly what that means.
4. His insurance company is flying him back to New Zealand for the surgery and will try to get back on the AT next year.
That is all.

Lone Wolf
05-01-2009, 07:53
He's told me that he "handed over the case to the Rangers on the trail", I don't know exactly what that means.

yeah really since there are no rangers on the trail

curtisvowen
05-01-2009, 09:04
Here's the latest email from the Mad Kiwis:

Hi Curtis,
It happened at Ground hog Shelter, There was 6 wittnes to the attack, all of whom are prepared to give statements as to what took place. We arrived at hot springs and reported the incident to the local law inforcement officer . I had a phone call from a ranger John Diefenbacch. His ph number is 8287137119 also had a call fromEric Barron his cellph is 301 6390167. They want him removed from the trail and i want to have his arse kicked so will leave the justice that he deserves to come his way. If you guys dont get him I will when I return. and it wont be with a gun. There is more ways of killing a cat than chocking it with butter. He may be good and tough but only a coward would hit a person in the back and then claim self defence as he did.Do you remember a hiker by the trail name of Vagrant ( Fran James ) he has been hiking with us for the greater part of the trail and is a good person to contact as regards to the incident as he was almost at my side when this arshole hit me. Fran is at Damiscus at the moment.
Will keep in touch .
Will phone you and tell you exactly what happened.
Kind Regards Ron
Regards Ron

curtisvowen
05-01-2009, 09:09
Here's another response after Ron saw the photo of "Spike"
Hi Curtis ,
Thats the arshole, and his partner or wife .The officers name that I reported it to in Hot Springs was David Shelton / 351 It was 4th month day 11 yr 09 at 1800hrs. Curtis the only person full of **** would be him. The officer is a real nice guy and told me that had I have done phisical damage to him or better still killed the arshole i wuold have done the Country a favour as the trail is no place for people like him to be on.

MintakaCat
05-01-2009, 09:16
Here's another response after Ron saw the photo of "Spike"
Hi Curtis ,
Thats the arshole, and his partner or wife .The officers name that I reported it to in Hot Springs was David Shelton / 351 It was 4th month day 11 yr 09 at 1800hrs. Curtis the only person full of **** would be him. The officer is a real nice guy and told me that had I have done phisical damage to him or better still killed the arshole i wuold have done the Country a favour as the trail is no place for people like him to be on.

Curtis, is this the photo he is talking about?

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/8329/tj8329_041009_111011_427771.jpg

Darwin again
05-01-2009, 09:24
Word needs to get out along the trail that "SPIKE" needs to turn himself in to law enforcement ASAP or he will be apprehended at a time not of his choosing. And it probably won't be fun for him.

Chaco Taco
05-01-2009, 09:29
This is the photo in question. Just spoke with some people on the phone and EVERYONE has been informed about Spike. The ATC knows of him and the charges that were filed against him in Hot Springs. I believe that until something happens in VA, they cant really do anything. Apparently, he skipped ahead to get to Damascus. Not sure what will happen next, those are just the facts that have been told to me.

waywardfool
05-01-2009, 09:57
I'm sure Hot Springs really wants to extradite him if he's caught. (That's sarcasm.) Think about it...simple assault, pre-trial, he'll get bail at the most, or depending on his priors, he'll get free just on his signature (promise to appear). While he's out awaiting "trial", he stands a chance to become a "fixture" of the Hot Springs community. Right now, for them (the community) the problem is solved. Bring him back there...and they likely then have a problem.

Newb
05-01-2009, 10:01
Now this is getting fun. I say we call DOG the BountyHunter.

curtisvowen
05-01-2009, 10:05
WAYWARDFOOL....what the heck is that garbage....
Problem is not solved, get him in your backyard.
CHACO, yes thats the foto that Ron picked out as Spike

Chaco Taco
05-01-2009, 10:09
The ATC is working with Park Service officials and they are actively looking for him.

DAJA
05-01-2009, 10:15
The ATC is working with Park Service officials and they are actively looking for him.

Well if the LE Community doesn't get its act together this could easily escalate into a vigilante situation.. If it was reported on April 11, why has this not been dealt with already?

Chaco Taco
05-01-2009, 10:19
Well if the LE Community doesn't get its act together this could easily escalate into a vigilante situation.. If it was reported on April 11, why has this not been dealt with already?

Haha, i doubt the idea of looking for a hiker is very appealing to them. They know he is north of Damascus just not sure where. It may be a question of jurisdiction since he is a traveller.

waywardfool
05-01-2009, 10:20
WAYWARDFOOL....what the heck is that garbage....

Just a commentary of the sad state of our legal system. I've seen it happen, when I was living at the beach. Local problem guy (drunk/druggie) left, came back (voluntarily) on an outstanding warrant, and never left again. He was a continual problem for another couple of years 'til he got locked up for something else (ADW, tried to run over somebody in a parking lot).

Rockhound
05-01-2009, 10:22
Well if the LE Community doesn't get its act together this could easily escalate into a vigilante situation.. If it was reported on April 11, why has this not been dealt with already?Just waiting for the torches and pitchforks to arrive

CaseyB
05-01-2009, 10:30

Because the cops don't read trailjournals and go start threads on whiteblaze.:rolleyes:
Despite the sarcasm, I do hope this guys has to answer for what he did.

vamelungeon
05-01-2009, 10:36
I really doubt NC will extradite someone from VA on a misdemeanor warrant and if they won't he won't be arrested in VA. The police in VA will check on this before they start looking and if NC isn't willing to spend the $$$ to come up to VA and get him VA won't touch him. NC will have to free up two deputies and a car, pay their salary and gas for the trip. My bet is that this guy will be free to finish his hike and this will be the end of all of this. Also keep in mind that the Kiwi would have to appear in court to testify, and as the old saying goes "no victim, no crime." In other words if the Kiwi can't come back the case goes away. You do have the right to face your accuser.

I still find the graffiti questionable, the fact that he's doing it and what he's saying, but maybe it's just me...

Lone Wolf
05-01-2009, 10:37

that's reassuring :rolleyes: back in 90 they couldn't find find the guy that commited the double murder just south of of duncannon. it took 3 hiker friends of mine to come from va., me. and n.h. to track him down and catch him

Pootz
05-01-2009, 10:58
Curtis, is this the photo he is talking about?

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/8329/tj8329_041009_111011_427771.jpg

Maybe I missed something. Witch of these guys is "Spike" The couple in front look familiar.

Chaco Taco
05-01-2009, 11:27
that's reassuring :rolleyes: back in 90 they couldn't find find the guy that commited the double murder just south of of duncannon. it took 3 hiker friends of mine to come from va., me. and n.h. to track him down and catch him

That is awful!

The ATC guy that handles these things is the one looking for him. They will probably just tell him to get off of the trail. Then again, all he really needs to do is shave and change his trailname. Dont see anything good coming from this for any party involved.

Chaco Taco
05-01-2009, 11:32
I really doubt NC will extradite someone from VA on a misdemeanor warrant and if they won't he won't be arrested in VA. The police in VA will check on this before they start looking and if NC isn't willing to spend the $$$ to come up to VA and get him VA won't touch him. NC will have to free up two deputies and a car, pay their salary and gas for the trip. My bet is that this guy will be free to finish his hike and this will be the end of all of this. Also keep in mind that the Kiwi would have to appear in court to testify, and as the old saying goes "no victim, no crime." In other words if the Kiwi can't come back the case goes away. You do have the right to face your accuser.

I still find the graffiti questionable, the fact that he's doing it and what he's saying, but maybe it's just me...

The only time the police have been involved is with the assault. Dont think the police have been involved now, maybe just alerted about the guy. The ATC is conducting an investigation and have their guy on it working in coordination with Park service.

DAJA
05-01-2009, 12:16
Since this guy is apparently able to end another couples hike, and then simply carry on, perhaps other hikers traveling at Spikes pace should make trail life uncomfortable enough that it's no longer enjoyable enough for him to continue his hike... Nothing physical, just no assistance from others, no conversation, when he arrives at a shelter politely tell him to find someplace else to sleep and so on... If everyone that encounters him clearly demonstrates that he is not welcome, maybe he will find someplace else to seek sympathy...

Just an idea...

vamelungeon
05-01-2009, 12:18
Since this guy is apparently able to end another couples hike, and then simply carry on, perhaps other hikers traveling at Spikes pace should make trail life uncomfortable enough that it's no longer enjoyable enough for him to continue his hike... Nothing physical, just no assistance from others, no conversation, when he arrives at a shelter politely tell him to find someplace else to sleep and so on... If everyone that encounters him clearly demonstrates that he is not welcome, maybe he will find someplace else to seek sympathy...

Just an idea...
What if he tells a different story?

John B
05-01-2009, 12:31
I would assume that he will most definitely tell a different story that will contradict the victim and the witnesses. Very few people his age and size would admit that they punched a 60 yr old man in the back hard enough to tear ligaments without reason.

JEBjr
05-01-2009, 12:33
Glad some additional information has been added to this since last night. I was starting to feel like I had gotten involved in a witch hunt by yesterday evening.

From my experience with the legal system in North Carolina, it would likely result in the charges being dismissed if witnesses did show up for the court date. The judge may continue the case on the first or even second setting based on the facts. On the other hand that is in urban Wake and Durham Counties, things might and often work differently up in the mountains of our great state. :-)

I'll get back to reading trail journals rather than posting. Thanks to all those taht contribute. I find many of the posts informative, excluding posts on religion and whether the women's forum will be open to the public or not. But I haven't seen those recently.

Lone Wolf
05-01-2009, 12:34
The ATC is conducting an investigation and have their guy on it working in coordination with Park service.

and they are located in harpers ferry and d.c. not a very good effort. he's probably walkin' thru atkins right now

darkage
05-01-2009, 12:50
How long till he hits P.A ? =PP

Chaco Taco
05-01-2009, 13:08
How long till he hits P.A ? =PP 7 weeks or so if he gets that far.

Reid
05-01-2009, 13:15
I'll get back to reading trail journals rather than posting. Thanks to all those taht contribute. I find many of the posts informative, excluding posts on religion and whether the women's forum will be open to the public or not. But I haven't seen those recently.

What a cheap shot, you feel the need to throw that in their about religion like it's some sort of problem for you? Keep it real...........just not too real.

DAJA
05-01-2009, 13:22
What if he tells a different story?

Remind him that he punched a guy in the back, demonstrating that the person was no threat to him, and as a result of his cowardly act, a couple from New Zealand are on their way home for surgery while he gets to continue on his journey..

There is always two sides to a story, but the simple fact that this person acted in agression toward another when his back was turned clearly demonstrates it was not in self defence.. It was purely an act of aggression... A cowardly one at that..

JEBjr
05-01-2009, 13:26
Sorry not meant as a cheap shot. Just don't think it adds a great deal to the subject matter of backpacking and the outdoors. I could throw politics into the that mix too I guess. But it some ways the funding of State and National Parks System is going to have to be political.

But if it is part of the mission statement of this venue so be it. I really haven't a clue, I just enjoy reading about backpacking and ways in which others do it that may make my hiking experience better.

Now back to reading.... I knew I would offend someone quickly if I ever posted. :-)

Reid
05-01-2009, 13:29
No worries man, but just so you know........I hit people really hard in the shoulders while they are not facing me when they take shots at religion.

DAJA
05-01-2009, 13:29
This situation just reaffirms the reality that the greatest threat to any of us no matter where we go are other humans.. It also reaffirms my desire to hike in the solitude of the back country, avoiding blazed trails and such.. The greater the number of people the bigger the problems...

It's also a little disappointing that so many on here can just shrug their shoulders. Sign of the times, or just the attitude of wb?

summitnh
05-01-2009, 13:33
I saw Spike and Little Engine last month on the trail. He was carrying both his gear and most of Little Engine's gear. He wanted to help her get used to the trail and carry her stuff until she was strong enough to carry it herself. Seemed like a caring, considerate guy. Strong as an ox, he could really haul on the uphills. I wonder what his side of the story is.

Reid
05-01-2009, 13:33
DAJA when you find this "backcountry" please let me know where it is and how to get there. I was hiking one time and I hear a distant waterfall so I went on a mission to find it........I climbed up this huge unblazed hill and as I approached the top I could see the top of the waterfall and then...........PARKING LOT!

DAJA
05-01-2009, 13:40
DAJA when you find this "backcountry" please let me know where it is and how to get there. I was hiking one time and I hear a distant waterfall so I went on a mission to find it........I climbed up this huge unblazed hill and as I approached the top I could see the top of the waterfall and then...........PARKING LOT!

Drive North until you hit the Canada US border, (doesn't matter which one), then continue driving 3 - 6 hrs north till the twin highways turn to single lane and eventually dirt roads... Then my friend the world is your oyster!

Hell, I live in a border town, and I can walk out my back door and spend weeks at a time hiking never seeing any sign of civilization other than airplanes and crossing the occational logging road.. Lots of wide open uninhabited places up here... There are only 30 million Canadian's living in a country far larger than yours, wilderness is everywhere!

Lone Wolf
05-01-2009, 13:42
Drive North until you hit the Canada US border, (doesn't matter which one), then continue driving 3 - 6 hrs north till the twin highways turn to single lane and eventually dirt roads... Then my friend the world is your oyster!

Hell, I live in a border town, and I can walk out my back door and spend weeks at a time hiking never seeing any sign of civilization other than airplanes and crossing the occational logging road.. Lots of wide open uninhabited places up here... There are only 30 million Canadian's living in a country far larger than yours, wilderness is everywhere!

if it's so wonderful why you on the puter so much?

hoz
05-01-2009, 13:42
Seriously, what can anyone actually DO when confronting Spike in person? I read "this guy doesn't belong on the trail" and the ATC is "looking for him" but what real juice does anyone have?

Do you really think confronting him is gonna cause this guy to leave the trail if he doesn't want to?

Unless a LEO makes an arrest on the basis of the "alleged' assault all he has to do is tell you to buzz off and continue on down the trail. And you are going to run the risk of being the next assaultee.

DAJA
05-01-2009, 13:43
I saw Spike and Little Engine last month on the trail. He was carrying both his gear and most of Little Engine's gear. He wanted to help her get used to the trail and carry her stuff until she was strong enough to carry it herself. Seemed like a caring, considerate guy. Strong as an ox, he could really haul on the uphills. I wonder what his side of the story is.

Can you give me an example of a situation where one would be justified in punching another person in the back?

darkage
05-01-2009, 13:44

Gonna be hard carrying two packs with a limp ....

His story is simple, he's a punk chump who struck a 60 year old man from behind ... I don't care who you are ... thats a coward right there.

DAJA
05-01-2009, 13:46
if it's so wonderful why you on the puter so much?

This is during work time:), in 1 hour and 15 minutes i'm heading home, picking up my kayak and heading out into the Bay of Fundy to do a little island hopping for the weekend...

Newb
Perhaps we should enpanel a jury of hikers at trail days and hold a kangaroo court!

hoz

That's what I've been wondering. From the picture he seems pretty happy. Not to condone the alleged assault but I wonder if the Kiwis said anything to set him off. Most "foreigners" enjoy a little jab at our expense now a days, maybe they got in a littleBush Bash, or anti war sentiment and the guy went off. From his "graffiti" it looks like he may be a little touchy on that subject.

DAJA
05-01-2009, 13:48
That's what I've been wondering. From the picture he seems pretty happy. Not to condone the alleged assault but I wonder if the Kiwis said anything to set him off. Most "foreigners" enjoy a little jab at our expense now a days, maybe they got in a littleBush Bash, or anti war sentiment and the guy went off. From his "graffiti" it looks like he may be a little touchy on that subject.

Are you saying a little "bush bashing" or "anti war" sentiment would justify his behavior?

hoz
05-01-2009, 13:50
This is during work time:), in 1 hour and 15 minutes i'm heading home, picking up my kayak and heading out into the Bay of Fundy to do a little island hopping for the weekend...

I've been on several wilderness canoe trips in Canada. The bush is the REAL DEAL, everything else is just self gratification .

hoz
05-01-2009, 13:51
Re read my post Daja "not to condone the alleged assault".

Reid
05-01-2009, 13:54
foriengers do like to jab at us and call us lazy, anyway, bring around the car jeeves!

vamelungeon
05-01-2009, 14:11
Remind him that he punched a guy in the back, demonstrating that the person was no threat to him, and as a result of his cowardly act, a couple from New Zealand are on their way home for surgery while he gets to continue on his journey..

There is always two sides to a story, but the simple fact that this person acted in agression toward another when his back was turned clearly demonstrates it was not in self defence.. It was purely an act of aggression... A cowardly one at that..
You're stating these things as "facts" when in reality they are just one side of the story. You don't KNOW that the other guy was struck in the back. You don't KNOW that the other guy was no threat. The only evidence I've seen was the graffiti, and I don't KNOW that he's the one that wrote it.

DAJA
05-01-2009, 14:40
You're stating these things as "facts" when in reality they are just one side of the story. You don't KNOW that the other guy was struck in the back. You don't KNOW that the other guy was no threat. The only evidence I've seen was the graffiti, and I don't KNOW that he's the one that wrote it.

Re-read posts 123, 125 and 126... Thats what i'm basing it off..

curtisvowen
05-01-2009, 14:44
Lone Wolf, have you ever considered shutting your hole?

Engine
05-01-2009, 15:00
How is it that an open discussion between us about an alterrcation between two individuals not even posting here devolves into a peeing contest between the rest of us? I agree with DAJA that it is hard to comprehend a circumstance that would shed favorable light on striking someone in the back, but as almost always occurs, I imagine the truth lies somewhere in the middle of both storys.

Rockhound
05-01-2009, 15:02
Re-read posts 123, 125 and 126... Thats what i'm basing it off..
First, a preposition is never a good thing to end a sentence with. Second, for somebody so vocally against this "vigilante justice", you seem awful quick to convict this guy before he's had a chance to give his side. He may not even know he's wanted. Few if any reading this were there and know exactly what went down. "Spike" may not even know he hurt the Kiwi. Could it have been unintentional? What happened after the incident? If this guy was such a threat, one of the Kiwis or the "6 witnesses" could have called ahead to Hot Springs and had the guy picked up. Was this one of those injuries that you start to notice after the fact? If so could it have been caused by some other reason? Yes it sucks that the Kiwis had to end their hike. They're good people and I'm inclined to believe "Spike" may be in need of a beat down, it just seems like you're trying to play both sides ther DAJA.

curtisvowen
05-01-2009, 15:07
I think the Mad Kiwis are full of BS and nothing really happened.

curtisvowen
05-01-2009, 15:08
Not really, the Kiwis are cool, the the fools off the trail,.

curtisvowen
05-01-2009, 15:10
sorry,
"get the fool off the trail"
Let the the dying dog lay and it'll work out in the end.

MOWGLI
05-01-2009, 15:13
Buncha drama queens. Are we back in high school? :p Lordy, when I read crap like this - I sure don't miss the AT.

Rockhound
05-01-2009, 15:13
quit trying to play both sides Curtis:D

DAJA
05-01-2009, 15:22
I'm not playing both sides... I'm ex LE and always favor letting justice run its course. That said, the reason I left LE is because rarely does the law run its course. Instead, between good lawyers, bureaucracy and the arrogance of LE things get muddled and eventually grind to a halt.

I don't want to see this guy take a beat down, cause that just adds more violence to the trail. But it also bothers me that he gets to continue his hike, while someone else’s has ended as a result of his behavior.

How could it possibly be unintentional? I'm sure he didn't intend to physically injure the kiwi, but the easiest way to do that, don't touch him.. Simple.

It appears the kiwi did report it to the authorities, why they didn't follow up earlier is all speculation at this time.

All we know is, a kiwi was injured and forced to leave the trail as a result of Spikes actions. For that Spike should be dealt with using the process of the Justice system.. But that seems not to be working, then at least folks could passively make him uncomfortable enough to leave the trail himself...

That's all..

Lone Wolf
05-01-2009, 15:30
Lone Wolf, have you ever considered shutting your hole?

you got somethin' to say to me? crawl back in your hole

emerald
05-01-2009, 15:41
Buncha drama queens. Are we back in high school? :p Lordy, when I read crap like this - I sure don't miss the AT.

Nor do I. The local groups I spend time with actually do things. I don't know why anyone would want to maintain an AT section today.

Monitoring populations of rare plants would be more to my liking, but there are places where they stand a better chance than the AT corridor and there are plenty of people out of work who can assist with their migration as climate dictates.

Jester2000
05-01-2009, 15:44
Maybe some fellow Marines could find this dick and take care of it in house and quiet like.

You're right, what I "assumed" you meant by "Maybe some fellow Marines could find this dick and take care of it in house and quiet like" that you would like "fellow Marines" to give this guy a beat down... Cause, here in Eastern Canada, there are a lot of old school traditional families that often handle conflict "quitely", that usually ends badly for all involved..

If that's not what you meant, my apologies...

Actually that is exactly what I meant. Just saying you should never assume.

How delightfully nonsensical!

Alaskanhkr23
05-01-2009, 15:56
this all doesent make sense and sounds like jibberish , I dnt think you need a weapon on the trail as for my 460 i only use it in dense bear country (nowhere here) but it is a good idea to be able to protect urself with something,there are sick people (deliverence)

Lone Wolf
05-01-2009, 15:57
How delightfully nonsensical!

he and curtis are drinkin' the same swill :rolleyes:

Alaskanhkr23
05-01-2009, 15:58
Peanut Butter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dancer
05-01-2009, 16:00
I just found this in Jennifer and Greg Olson's trailjournal. I am not sure if it has already been posted or not.

April 8th

...The Mad Kiwi's were there and their friend Vagrant. Atreyu and Sassafras also decided to stay. There was just enough room for everyone in the shelter. Although everything was covered in snow we managed to get a pretty good fire. Later, Spike and the Little Engine came in and Minnesota Smith. Spike caused some problems and killed the good time we were having. Never got too cold during the night so we slept pretty comfy.

April 14th

...The Mad Kiwi's let us stay with them. We ran to the Iron Horse for a quick meal and back to Sunnybrook Inn. The Kiwi's hhave been there letting Ron's shoulder heal. The night at Groundhog shelter, Spike punched Ron in the back and his shoulder was messed up pretty bad. He is worried he may not be able to get back on the trail. We sure will miss them if they leave and go back to New Zealand!

MintakaCat
05-01-2009, 16:12
I'm not sure but I think this is a photo of the Mad Kiwis:

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/8272/tj8272_040409_104516_425850.jpg

The photo says "Dinner with the Mad Kiwi's" posted on TJ on March 20 of this year.

Alaskanhkr23
05-01-2009, 16:19
that sucks if its in the back wow who hits someone in the back i mean seriously thats SOOOOO BIZARE

DAJA
05-01-2009, 16:25
Sadly, many here don't seem to have a problem with it... I guess I'll be careful not to turn my back on some WBers..

Enjoy your weekend folks!

Alaskanhkr23
05-01-2009, 16:34
Thats sad,seriously hikers are supposed to be layed back and relax not go bazerk over suttin stupid

Alaskanhkr23
05-01-2009, 16:37
Yes i am the voice of reason,I am the Master of the woods LOL im too fun luvin to fight someone, i took martial arts for years so i dnt try fighting noone,its not worth the problems after words

Chaco Taco
05-01-2009, 17:15
What I was trying to say, the ATC has their guy in VA working with some folks to "find Spike and get him off the trail." They know of the incident in Hot Springs. I am sure there are 2 sides to the story but nothing justifies hitting another human being unless it was in self defense.

curtisvowen
05-01-2009, 17:31
he and curtis are drinkin' the same swill :rolleyes:
u got 2 be stupid

vamelungeon
05-01-2009, 17:31
What I was trying to say, the ATC has their guy in VA working with some folks to "find Spike and get him off the trail." They know of the incident in Hot Springs. I am sure there are 2 sides to the story but nothing justifies hitting another human being unless it was in self defense.
And it might very well have been.
"Innocent until proven guilty."

Highpointbound
05-01-2009, 19:57
This is all interesting. I think back to a post where it appears a section of the Mad Kiwi's trail journal was posted. The Mad Kiwi said that Spike accused him of "punching him in the face".

No more was discussed about that. All kiwi said was that if he HAD punched Spike he would still be laying there. But, that doesnt explain anything. My question is, what happened that made Spike accuse Kiwi of punching him in the face?? See, that part is being left out. What started this confrontation?

Im going to say that Spike just didnt decide on a whim to punch Kiwi in the back. What happened BEFORE all that, and WHY did Spike make the claim that he was punched in the face by Kiwi?? I dont see anything from kiwi explaining all that..or from ANYONE for that matter. SOMETHING happened.

Now, im not condoing punching someone in the back. BUT..we weren't there. Did Spike creep up on kiwi and punch him in the back, OR was there an altercation and perhaps kiwi turned and got punched in the back?

I've worked in law enforcement also, and let me tell you things are not always as they seem. You HAVE to get BOTH sides of the story.

AND..if anyone runs into this guy on the trail, and he is NOT bothering anyone, just hiking along...you have NO right to bust his stones over something you read on a message board. If you see this guy, and he is minding his own business and hiking along, if you bother him YOU will be at fault. Dont believe me?? Just try it and see what Law Enforcement tells you. See how you telling the cops that well, you heard this guy was a jerk, and even though he wasnt bothering anyone, you decided to go up and hassle him and hit him for no reason other than what you heard.
Yes, see how that works for you if Spike pressed charges against YOU.

Is it bad some 60 yr old dude got punched in the back? Yea, ok. But we really dont know HOW he came to be punched in the back (or shoulder) OR if it was clearly a matter of Spike waiting for kiwi to turn around and then him hitting him. Things could be much more muddier than that. Maybe that 60 yr old dude is nice, but has a touch of a-hole in him too and swung on Spike. Again, what's with the claim of Spike being punched by kiwi??? WHAT STARTED THIS CONFRONTATION??

Unless you know these dudes like you know your mother, dont take sides so fast. For either one.

Alaskanhkr23
05-01-2009, 22:25
And then people wonder why theres fights on the trail-because someone always has back handed comments

Lion King
05-02-2009, 07:10
There are about 4 whack jobs that I have heard of this year so far,

One that actually makes me worry is the kid who says he can take the form of a dragon and kill humans and god has granted him the okay to do it...he is one to watch, as well as his partner who seems to like to swing at people, not sure if either one of them are true lunatics, but you dont talk about your ordained ability to kill on a trail where people need to feel safe and at ease.

The AT gets stranger and stranger every year....

wakapak
05-02-2009, 09:00

One that actually makes me worry is the kid who says he can take the form of a dragon and kill humans and god has granted him the okay to do it...he is one to watch, as well as his partner who seems to like to swing at people, not sure if either one of them are true lunatics, but you dont talk about your ordained ability to kill on a trail where people need to feel safe and at ease.

I do remember hearing about that person while we were out there for a few days...

I totally agree with your last statement, it does get stranger every year!

Rockhound
05-02-2009, 09:06

I think I'd be a lot more concerned about Dragonboy than Spike. Violent angry people can be talked down most of the time. Violent, angry, insane people not so much.

traildust
05-02-2009, 09:15
Wow! Let's all get off that ledge! No wait, jump! We are taken an unfortunate incident - that never should have happened - and progressed to lunatics and murders on the trail. Really now folks, maybe time to take a step back and wait for the ending to be written by those involved in this melodrama.

Chaco Taco
05-02-2009, 09:27
Wow it does get weirder each year. Last year was still the craziest in my book. I guess the reason why people are so outspoken is because we really do care about the trail, and we dont want a repeat of what happened last year. We shouldnt jump on each other because most of us have the main concern of trying to help keep the trail safe.

tenbeer
05-02-2009, 09:31
I was at punch bowl shelter yesterday assisting in the search for Ken Knight and ran into a thru hiker that had spent considerable time with Spike and Engine. He had nothing but good things to say about Spike. He thought this incident would be very unlikely. I just thought I would give you a point of view from somebody that had actually been around Spike for some period of time. I'm not sure anybody on this forum can attest to this. Nor have any of the eyewitnesses commented as well. I'm not defending anyone on this issue, just keep an open mind.

Engine
05-02-2009, 15:38
...just keep an open mind.

We could all do a better job of that sometimes. And I'm probably the sorst "sinner" of all. Thanks for the reminder.

Engine
05-02-2009, 15:43
I think I'd be a lot more concerned about Dragonboy than Spike. Violent angry people can be talked down most of the time. Violent, angry, insane people not so much.

The insane person who believes in a divine right to do whatever the voices tell them to is truly a danger to everyone around them. As to the earlier statement about the AT getting stranger every year, I think that's true of society in general and since there are more hikers every year it just carries over. I would have to hike hard for a few days to separate myself from "Dragon boy" I think.

Gaiter
05-02-2009, 18:01
Wow it does get weirder each year.

does it really get weirder or do we just have more access to every little bit of information... i'm waiting to see debates about a hiker skipping lunch one day or something odd like that.

Kanati
05-02-2009, 20:11
What a cheap shot, you feel the need to throw that in their about religion like it's some sort of problem for you? Keep it real...........just not too real.

I thought the same thing. Between you and I, there will be no atheist in hell.....because before they get there, they will know there is a GOD !!! And he is just.

Kanati
05-02-2009, 20:12
Sorry not meant as a cheap shot. Just don't think it adds a great deal to the subject matter of backpacking and the outdoors. I could throw politics into the that mix too I guess. But it some ways the funding of State and National Parks System is going to have to be political.

But if it is part of the mission statement of this venue so be it. I really haven't a clue, I just enjoy reading about backpacking and ways in which others do it that may make my hiking experience better.

Now back to reading.... I knew I would offend someone quickly if I ever posted. :-)

You need to read.....not talk.

Dr O
05-02-2009, 20:36
this all doesent make sense and sounds like jibberish , I dnt think you need a weapon on the trail as for my 460 i only use it in dense bear country (nowhere here) but it is a good idea to be able to protect urself with something,there are sick people (deliverence)

Deliverance is fiction. :rolleyes:

Engine
05-02-2009, 20:45
Deliverance is fiction. :rolleyes:

Yeah, isn't it funny how many movies involve the crazy country people when we are so much more likely to run into dangerous persons in an urban area.

curtisvowen
05-02-2009, 21:44
Deliverance is real.
I bought the Ned Beatty log off of ebay.
You want to try it out Yankee?

fiddlehead
05-02-2009, 22:23
Wow!
Threads sure do degenerate by the time they get to page 11.

This one is sicker than most.

I don't think the trail gets any worse or stranger every year. Back in the 90's we had Ward Leonard who was good for all these kind of stories practically once a week.

It's just that now we have the internet to vent our ignorance.

I just can't imagine that some of you would really be like this in person.

Madison County Owl
05-02-2009, 22:33
Wow!
Threads sure do degenerate by the time they get to page 11.

This one is sicker than most.

I don't think the trail gets any worse or stranger every year. Back in the 90's we had Ward Leonard who was good for all these kind of stories practically once a week.

It's just that now we have the internet to vent our ignorance.

I just can't imagine that some of you would really be like this in person.

Ward "Chip" Leonard really was not hard to deal with I even had him into my cabin, we ate we spoke for a while and he stay out side that night this must have been 1997 or 98 I can't really tag it down.
He really is brilliant but you are correct about the stories, some were exaggerated tho he needed meds for sure.
let me tell you he knows mathematics, he is a numbers person.
I believe he reacted to those that overreacted and was civil to those who acted civilly

mweinstone
05-03-2009, 00:48
i hope death. death and doom.

kiddin

fiddlehead
05-03-2009, 01:20
Ward tended to up to a group of people and point at each one and say things like: "you won't make it", "you look like a wimp", and (to my friend he said): "you look like the kind of guy who uses the firepit for a trash bin"
He got beat up regularly or at least threatened regularly from register entries i read.

Lone Wolf
05-03-2009, 02:04
he never got "beat up"

fiddlehead
05-03-2009, 04:19
Well, i heard differently, but it was just hearsay.

Sort of like this thread.

So, i'll apologize for the statement that he got beat up regularly.

MintakaCat
05-03-2009, 05:16
Interesting entry I found on Trail Journals:

Unplugged 2009 TJ (March 26, 2009)

"Last night was quite eventful. At 4am, Spike and Little Engine packed up, made breakfast, and made as much noise as possible before leaving to hike at 7:30am. As the story goes Mosey, a nice middle aged woman, tapped Spike to tell him to stop snoring. He was enraged and decided if he wasn't going to sleep, nobody else was."

People have been wondering what lead up to the event of Spike punching the Mad Kiwi in the back. I'll take a wild guess and say that maybe Spike's snoring might have something to do with this.

Downhill Trucker
05-03-2009, 05:18

Looks like someone calling himself Spike is (allegedly) guilty of damaging public property by way of graffiti.

That is if the person reporting the whereabouts of that sign was not making the story up out of whole cloth.

Lets hope the alleged individual doesn't tag The Place, or other hostels.

That would be wrong. Allegedly.

Graffiti in shelters is ok. Smoking dope in the woods is wrong. :-?

MintakaCat
05-03-2009, 05:21
Another Trail Journal I found:

Mosey 2009 TJ (March 26, 2009)

"Lots of rain with strong winds last night. The shelter was full plus to get everyone in out of the rain last night. In addition, everyone had a short night's sleep. One hiker had gotten up with his wife at 4 AM and proceeded to fix breakfast and pack up for four hours before leaving at 8. He also talked in a loud voice for the whole time, shined his light on everyone, and stomped around the shelter. What a jerk. When he finally left in the morning, we all voted that he was certifiable, and we hope our paths don't cross again."

Pedaling Fool
05-03-2009, 07:38
Ward tended to up to a group of people and point at each one and say things like: "you won't make it", "you look like a wimp", and (to my friend he said): "you look like the kind of guy who uses the firepit for a trash bin" ...
Nothing wrong with that.

Egads
05-03-2009, 07:41
Sounds like Spike is a real "charmer" :(

kanga
05-03-2009, 07:55
also sounds like that lady poked him awake for snoring. was this not in a shelter? you're not gonna get quiet in a shelter and if somebody's snoring you leave them the hell alone. you want quiet, go pitch a tent. if the world stopped turning and i was in a shelter and somebody woke me up for snoring, i would have had a few choice words to say. now, it did sound like he reacted completely over the top, but this is still not the whole story, i'm sure.

saimyoji
05-03-2009, 09:34
if the world stopped turning and i was in a shelter and somebody woke me up for snoring, i would have had a few choice words to say. now, it did sound like he reacted completely over the top, but this is still not the whole story, i'm sure.

would it be something like: "at home my snuggle-bunny keeps me from snoring by holding me close and nibbling on my ear?"

kanga
05-03-2009, 09:36
would it be something like: "at home my snuggle-bunny keeps me from snoring by holding me close and nibbling on my ear?"

i would use some of those letters, yes.

Engine
05-03-2009, 15:31
also sounds like that lady poked him awake for snoring. was this not in a shelter? you're not gonna get quiet in a shelter and if somebody's snoring you leave them the hell alone. you want quiet, go pitch a tent. if the world stopped turning and i was in a shelter and somebody woke me up for snoring, i would have had a few choice words to say. now, it did sound like he reacted completely over the top, but this is still not the whole story, i'm sure.

It probably isn't the entire story, but more and more information is pointing at Spike having an anger management problem. Maybe we should just teach him to say Goozfrabbah (Completely unsure of spelling, but you get the point). :)

tenbeer
05-05-2009, 12:42
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=270720

MintakaCat
05-05-2009, 12:49
Thanks tenbeer.
Here's a cut and paste of the link above:

Wendy's TJ (May 4, 2009)
Also- a brief note on Spike... This person is bringing a lot of negativity to this trip, and I wondered if I should mention him at all for fear of retribution. But the more I thought about it, the more I thought that if if we all hide in fear, then he and fear are what are ruling, and the cycle will continue... I have done nothing but report on what is happening around me. Why should I be scared?

What is particularly bothersome to me about all the talk concerning him, is that no one is doing a thing about it. There is a lot of talk about him being wanted by the authorities, etc, but when people meet him face to face, they pretend as though they know nothing about what he has done and act nicely to him. I find this very hypocritical and wrong. The man is extremely abusive to his wife (physically, verbally, emotionally, and mentally), has vandalized multiple shelters, and injured an innocent hiker so badly that he has been forced off the trail and into surgery. And yet, everyone looks on and allows him to keep doing all of these things... This is what is wrong!

So, I decided that I should not fear the truth...

Lone Wolf
05-05-2009, 12:55
most hikers are pacifists. they let themselves be victimized

DAJA
05-05-2009, 13:55
This guy has already ended one couples trip, and now appears to be spreading negetivity to those on the trail around him..

I predict this ends even worse!

TD55
05-05-2009, 14:29
If Spike was a drunk, crippled or blind we would be hearing from the usual name calling, insulting tuff guy(s). However, Spike being a big brute of a guy who may be dangerous seems to keep the big talkers mostly silent.
Just sayin...

DAJA
05-05-2009, 14:49
If Spike was a drunk, crippled or blind we would be hearing from the usual name calling, insulting tuff guy(s). However, Spike being a big brute of a guy who may be dangerous seems to keep the big talkers mostly silent.
Just sayin...

Agreed...

Not that I think we should be taking it upon ourselves to deal with this fella, but the authorities should! According to the email provided by the mad kiwi, the incedent was reported, so why have they not dealt with it?

Typical useless ass LE!

TD55
05-05-2009, 14:56

Not that I think we should be taking it upon ourselves to deal with this fella, but the authorities should! According to the email provided by the mad kiwi, the incedent was reported, so why have they not dealt with it?

I don't know, but he batter not try to panhandle free beers in town, get lost or act blind.

Kanati
05-05-2009, 18:10
most hikers are pacifists. they let themselves be victimized

Pac-i-fism (definition): belief that international disputes should be settled by peaceful means rather than by force or war. Pacify: To make peace.

What's wrong with being peaceful rather than combative?

Does this not come under "hike your own hike, your own way"?

Not being disrespectful, but you seem to always have the perfect answer/solution. Would be interested in hearing your stategy? Maybe the general hiker audience could learn something.

Personally, I think like Teddy Roosevelt: Speak softly but carry a BIG stick, (s). Leki's may be the perferred brand. LOL

:sun

DapperD
05-05-2009, 18:21
Pac-i-fism (definition): belief that international disputes should be settled by peaceful means rather than by force or war. Pacify: To make peace.

Personally, I think like Teddy Roosevelt: Speak softly but carry a BIG stick, (s). Leki's may be the perferred brand. LOL

:sunSimilar to Ronald Reagan's "Peace through Strength" approach.

Darwin again
05-05-2009, 18:27
I prefer Ronald Reagan's "Blanket Party" approach.
If you get my meaning.

DAJA
05-05-2009, 18:32
Not being disrespectful, but you seem to always have the perfect answer/solution. Would be interested in hearing your stategy? Maybe the general hiker audience could learn something.

I'd be interested in hearing his plan as well... Afterall, Spike spent a night in LW's town, he could have addressed it then...

DapperD
05-05-2009, 18:41
If you get my meaning.Your a scary fella:D

beungood
05-05-2009, 18:49
Peace Out
Curtis
Standing Bear Hostel

0331- Machine gunner

zoidfu
05-05-2009, 19:01
I don't know, but he batter not try to panhandle free beers in town, get lost or act blind.

The PA AT Security Militia Army is on red alert, don't you worry about it.:rolleyes:

And he isn't even in PA yet. What do you expect us to do? Drive down to Virginia to take care of Virginian's business?

beungood
05-05-2009, 19:30
Maybe a dose of bearspray and a "wood shampoo" might make spike see the light. If he is causing a disturbance..

Kanati
05-05-2009, 20:04
If you get my meaning.

I witnessed one of these once. I did not participate in it. I was in the Army in basic training at Ft. Jackson, SC, Jan 1966. We had 3 guys who had been drafted from Puerto Rico. Most of the rest of us had also been drafted but a few had enlisted. These 3 guys were total screw offs. They did not want to be there. We didn't either for that matter, but made the best of it. They tried every way they could to get discharged on an unadaptable status. The rest of us were competing for honors in the physical stuff, rifle range score, academics, etc.. We had 5 platoons in our company and the platoon scoring the highest for the 8 week training cycle would get a large plaque with the platoon number engraved on it. For the cycle before ours the 5th platoon, which was our platoon, had won the plaque and it was on display as you entered the barracks on the 1st floor. All of us, except the 3 dudes from PR, were trying hard to beat the other platoons and keep the plaque in our barracks. The troops down stairs where the main one of the PR guys bunk was decided to teach him a lesson. Late one night they threw a blanket over his head and held him down while 3 or 4 others beat the living crap out of him. I was upstairs, heard the comotion and came down stairs to see what was going on. The guy had knots all over his body. Within 2 or 3 days the 3 PR guys were all gone. Never knew what happened to them. I guess you could say the blanket party worked.

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 21:04
The thing is he hasnt broken any laws in VA.

Lone Wolf
05-05-2009, 21:09
I'd be interested in hearing his plan as well... Afterall, Spike spent a night in LW's town, he could have addressed it then...

what plan? the guy bothered no one while here. nothing but rumors and 2nd hand BS about the guy. nobody seems to know anything about him

Lone Wolf
05-05-2009, 21:11

Does this not come under "hike your own hike, your own way"?

so if spike smacked you around you'd just take it and not fight back. you're a paci

tenbeer
05-05-2009, 21:32
so if spike smacked you around you'd just take it and not fight back. you're a paci
The question might be, what would you do if you had been present when Spike punched a elderly man in the back. I know this issue is still heresay. But that situation could get pretty explosive. Out in the woods with no LE close by. I often hike with my young children. I have thought, how would I handle this scenerio. I don't want to share the same space on the trail with a person like this. There has been to many accounts of this persons behavior on TJ to be completely false. I hope for the sake of the people out there he gets off the trail. If he is still out there, he will be in my neck of the woods soon.

reggie151
05-05-2009, 21:44
Graffiti in shelters is ok. Smoking dope in the woods is wrong. :-?
smoking pot is fine. its the people banging heroin in my alley that worries me

MintakaCat
05-05-2009, 22:10
The question might be, what would you do if you had been present when Spike punched a elderly man in the back. I know this issue is still heresay. But that situation could get pretty explosive. Out in the woods with no LE close by. I often hike with my young children. I have thought, how would I handle this scenerio. I don't want to share the same space on the trail with a person like this. There has been to many accounts of this persons behavior on TJ to be completely false. I hope for the sake of the people out there he gets off the trail. If he is still out there, he will be in my neck of the woods soon.

Seems the best way to avoid this guy is to not stay in shelters. From what I gather 90% of the problems he causes is at shelters.

generoll
05-05-2009, 22:21
seems that Wendi on TJ has seen his conduct first hand. Since hikers aren't posting here much and posters aren't hiking I suppose that anything said here is second hand. His reported conduct may have broken a law in NC, but he's now in Virginia by all reports. I'm not sure there's much anyone can do about an obnoxious bully. If someone thinks they can then by all means go ahead. Tell us how it turned out.

zoidfu
05-06-2009, 00:41
He looks to be about twice my size so I figure I can give him a vicious bite or something