PDA

View Full Version : Resupply of canister fuel- VT,NH,ME

ALL DAY
06-09-2004, 21:42
:clap I am a couple of weeks away from my section hike of VT,NH & Maine.I use a MSR pocket Rocket and am concerned about resupplying cannister fuel on the trail,especially in NH and ME. What are the prospects of buying it as I go. Last summer I did a 7 week section hike on 4 cannisters. The Post Office says I can't mail them. I have experimented with a pepsi stove but love the ease of one meal a day that I boil quick and eat.Any heads up would be appreciated.

A-Train
06-09-2004, 21:51
Most likely it won't be a problem. I hiked with 3 guys who loved their Pocket Rockets to death and never seemed to have a problem finding a new cansiter. I was always amazed how long they could go without needing a new canister. I believe there are tricks to conserving fuel, such as turning the switch off after warming the food.

You can find the canisters in outfitters and should find them in Manchester Vt, North Woodstock NH and Gorham NH fairly easily at the outfitter. I can't think of a place in Maine that would have them besides a hiker box at a hostel but it is only about 3 weeks from Gorham to Katahdin. What a lot of folks don;t know is that Keith Shaw has a full blown outfitter (sort of) in his shack at Shaw's Hostel in Monson. You might wanna give him a call before you leave and see if he sells them. The same goes for Steve Longley at Rivers and Trails Hostel in Caratunk. Steve posts on this site. If one of those two sells them, you'll be golden..

Good luck and don't sweat it.

ALL DAY
06-10-2004, 21:56
Thanks I was just checking.