PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Fuel

Lyle
04-29-2009, 12:58
In the course of trying to find out how I can re-supply with denatured alcohol while hiking the Border Route and KEK, I did some research on shipping fuel. Various opinions were given here on Whiteblaze about how alcohol could be shipped, and I was directed to the "Gottawalk" site (it would not load for me, so don't know what is said there) as having a definitive, clearly stated explaination. That was something I couldn't find on either the UPS or USPS web sites. They talk in circles and you have to know the ins and outs of haz-mat shipping in order to understand what they are talking about - no help at all without extensive further research just to understand their policies.

Gunflint Lodge (the one business on the route) only carries propane, but will accept packages for hikers.

I finally found the phone number for the UPS Hazardous Materials help desk (burried about five layers into their site). I called, and after a brief wait this is what I was told.

UPS (all shipper by federal law), can only accept 1 oz or smaller of flammable liquids to be shipped (ground or air) by private individuals. Period. If you want to ship more, you must set up a daily scheduled pick-up and obtaind a hazardous materials shipper permit. She said this would not be cost effective for a one-time shipment. Her suggestion that the only legal way to solve the problem was to have a dealer (REI I assume) ship the alcohol to the Gunflint Lodge.

I'm just putting this out for general information, since I found many conflicting opinions. Unfortunately, I did not ask about the legality of shipping cannisters, but would think it was similar. Unless 1 oz of fuel will do you, you are taking a risk by shipping fuel yourself.

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-29-2009, 13:13
I too use alcohol for my stove, but have discovered through research that denatured Alcohol isn't always the same mix or concentration. The I discovered Heet in the yellow bottle, it is 98 percent pure methanol, costs about 1 dollar per bottle, and you can find it at every gas station, grocery store, or walmart. My opinion, for what it is worth, is save yourself the hassle, at 1 or 2 dollars for 12 ounces, it is well worth stopping at a store while you are in town hitting up the post office. If you have never used Heet in your stove try it 1 time, I think it is the best fuel, but let me know what you think.

Blissful
04-29-2009, 13:15
Had no trouble at all mailing fuel canisters via USPS surface. Got them several times.

Lyle
04-29-2009, 13:20
I too use alcohol for my stove, but have discovered through research that denatured Alcohol isn't always the same mix or concentration. The I discovered Heet in the yellow bottle, it is 98 percent pure methanol, costs about 1 dollar per bottle, and you can find it at every gas station, grocery store, or walmart. My opinion, for what it is worth, is save yourself the hassle, at 1 or 2 dollars for 12 ounces, it is well worth stopping at a store while you are in town hitting up the post office. If you have never used Heet in your stove try it 1 time, I think it is the best fuel, but let me know what you think.

I've used HEET also, but Gunflint Lodge does not sell it - I asked. No other business even remotely close.

Just wanted to give folks a heads-up on what the official policy of UPS is, and that they indicated it was the same for all carriers.