PDA

View Full Version : Waist Pack

hikergirl1120
04-29-2009, 13:11
I am curious if others use one while backpacking

I can't decide if it's a good or bad idea

I was thinking it would be nice to have snacks there or to tuck your map in it but I am also thinking it may be overkill....any thoughts?

Blissful
04-29-2009, 13:22
I have a waist pack that attaches to my reg. backpack, made by Marmot. Got it at Neel Gap, used it the whole way. I love it. A little bigger but it holds what I need. I call it my purse on the trail. :)

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21928&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=6008&cutoffdate=-1

hikergirl1120
04-29-2009, 13:39
Thats a great idea!! I was just thinking that the buckle may dig into you on a normal waist pack??

Mrs Baggins
04-29-2009, 14:22
I use an REI brand waist pack. I've noticed that while I rarely see men using one I often encounter other women using them. I keep my camera, Advil, tp, snack, money, ID, credit/debit card and those sorts of things in it. It never leaves me so I always have my valuables with me at all times and never left alone in my pack. While I may hang my pack at night that waist pack stays in my tent or down in my sleeping bag with me. I don't keep food in it at night.

cowpoke
04-29-2009, 14:46
I've used one for a couple of years now....marmot...keep camera, snack, map, etc.,...plus water. Stuff you would carry in your pack....I just wanted it off my back...by moving it to the front it sort of "counter-balances" and you don't notice it. I'm an old fat guy with bad knees and it works for me...have a great hike..cheers, bill

russb
04-29-2009, 14:55
I have a small nylon "fanny pack" I bought off of ebay. I call it my "everywhere" pack. It contains my toiletry bag, emergency firestaring kit, first aid kit, car key. It never leaves my side, though on occassion it will go inside my pack.

hikergirl1120
04-29-2009, 14:56
Well I am sold!

Frosty
04-29-2009, 15:37
Well I am sold!
On the trail I keep snacks in mine, maybe a map. When in town I put everything of high value in it...wallet, cell phone, whatever, and keep it with me at all times. That way my mind isn't always of my gear back in the hostel.

Also do this and bring fanny pack (it's really a belly bag because it's in front) to the privy if there is anyone sketchy at a shelter. It isn't that I suspect someone would steal anything, it is just that it would be such a disaster to lose my credit cards in the middle of a hike.

Mrs Baggins
04-29-2009, 15:51
On the trail I keep snacks in mine, maybe a map. When in town I put everything of high value in it...wallet, cell phone, whatever, and keep it with me at all times. That way my mind isn't always of my gear back in the hostel.

Also do this and bring fanny pack (it's really a belly bag because it's in front) to the privy if there is anyone sketchy at a shelter. It isn't that I suspect someone would steal anything, it is just that it would be such a disaster to lose my credit cards in the middle of a hike.

Yep, all good reasons to have the fanny pack. I wear mine to the front as well. I always put it on first and then my pack. I sometimes need my reading glasses to check a map or guide book page and my glasses are right there to grab.

bigcranky
04-29-2009, 17:24
I use an Eagle Creek waist pack, a fairly small one with two pockets. I carry my camera, headlamp, wallet, whistle, pocket knife, etc. That way they are always on my person even when I take off my pack.

Blissful
04-29-2009, 20:14
Thats a great idea!! I was just thinking that the buckle may dig into you on a normal waist pack??

Mine had one small buckle but it's on the side so it doesn't interfere with the waist belt at all. No problems. I have known to stuff mine to the gills sometimes. I carry TP, camera, snacks, maps, bandana, bug repellent, etc. My hubby made my a little sil nylon cover for it in the rain (it's not waterproof without it). Works like a charm.

Blissful
04-29-2009, 20:17
On the trail I keep snacks in mine, maybe a map. When in town I put everything of high value in it...wallet, cell phone, whatever, and keep it with me at all times.

Yes, absolutely. Though I just put mine in a zippered part of my pants. I didn't carry a special fanny pack for that purpose. For town a kind WB member made me a combo clothing bag / town pack with straps that I take my clothes out of and put stuff into for town and throw over my back.

Zynski10
04-29-2009, 21:38
I have a Mountainsmith Day lumbar pack and its probably one of the best packs i own ( I own way too many packs ). I've taken it on several dayhikes, used it when basecamp hiking for several days and used as my main travel bag when traveling internationally.

I can't really express how happy i've been with it.

SlowLightTrek
04-29-2009, 23:05
The new pack I have (Osprey Exos 58) has two pockets built in on the hipbelt. It's about time someone made them.