PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Scout survives several days on Mt. Washington

Phoenix7
04-29-2009, 16:26
On our local NH news there was a story about an Eagle Scout who survived several days on Mt. Washington alone. Just these past few days. He was going for a day hike and found his route had been blocked by rivers from snow runoff. They didn't seem to think he had overnight gear. Apparantly he stayed warm at night by making fires. He was found alive and well yesterday or the day before.

The Old Fhart
04-29-2009, 17:09
This subject has already been discussed at length in the thread "Missing Hiker in NH's White Mountains" started 2 days ago.

freefall
04-29-2009, 17:14
This subject has already been discussed at length in the thread "Missing Hiker in NH's White Mountains" started 2 days ago.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49614

Lyle
04-29-2009, 17:30
Hey, give the guy a break. He probably doesn't spend hours each day catching every post. In fact, look at his number of posts and his join date. Been a member since 2004, has 69 posts - he must have a real life!!!!

Anyway, yeah, it has been discussed, but thanks for the heads up. I'd be willing to bet there are other folks who have just seen this.

Two Tents
04-29-2009, 17:34
Good news is good news even it ya already heard it!---Two Tents.

Kirby
04-29-2009, 18:15
Glad he survived.

What he was trying to do, however, was completely idiotic.

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 18:17
Hey, give the guy a break. He probably doesn't spend hours each day catching every post. In fact, look at his number of posts and his join date. Been a member since 2004, has 69 posts - he must have a real life!!!!

Anyway, yeah, it has been discussed, but thanks for the heads up. I'd be willing to bet there are other folks who have just seen this.

Didnt seem like anyone was giving him a hard time.:rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 18:18
Glad he survived.

Some people say that walking 2175 miles in 6 months is completely idiotic also!

Tin Man
04-29-2009, 18:46
Some people say that walking 2175 miles in 6 months is completely idiotic also!

but it ain't life threatening

wakapak
04-29-2009, 18:54

not necessarily no, but you never know what circumstances are gonna arise to make it life threatening.....bears, falls, lymes disease, etc.
a day-hike up mt washington isnt necessarily life threatening, even in winter if you know what you are doing, and although everyone may not agree with how he went about, this 17 yr old seemed to have an idea of what he was doing. Not saying it was the smartest thing he could have done, but at least he had his head about him on how to keep himself alive and not get into any further danger by trying to cross swollen streams etc. just my two cents worth...

Jaybird62
04-29-2009, 19:13
Not saying it was the smartest thing he could have done, but at least he had his head about him on how to keep himself alive and not get into any further danger by trying to cross swollen streams etc. just my two cents worth...[/quote]

Well said:sun

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 19:32

May want to rethink that statement. It most certainly can be!

freefall
04-29-2009, 19:38
Hey, give the guy a break....

Not trying to give anyone a hard time. I was just providing the link.

Tin Man
04-29-2009, 20:16
May want to rethink that statement. It most certainly can be!

doing a standard thru-hike ain't inherently dangerous, and probably less dangerous than driving from ga to me. taking on mtn washington and madison under these circumstances is. that's all i'm saying.

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 20:21
doing a standard thru-hike ain't inherently dangerous, and probably less dangerous than driving from ga to me. taking on mtn washington and madison under these circumstances is. that's all i'm saying.

A standard thruhike eh?? Describe your "standard" thruhike.
I aint bustin your balls but alot of places can be dangerous on a thru. Virginia in summer, the repeated tropical systems that hit New England last year.

Tin Man
04-29-2009, 20:25
I aint bustin your balls but alot of places can be dangerous on a thru. Virginia in summer, the repeated tropical systems that hit New England last year.

and you can break your neck in the shower. i take showers daily but i would not recommend taking the hike the kid did

Blissful
04-29-2009, 20:26

Just curious how VA in the summer is dangerous? I live here, and I'd sure like to know.... :)

Tin Man
04-29-2009, 20:30
Just curious how VA in the summer is dangerous? I live here, and I'd sure like to know.... :)

you are such a risk taker and didn't even know it! :)

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 20:30

People droppin like flies from the heat last year. One day we were hiking and it was just over 100. I went to school ion VA and the heat can be unbearable along with the humidity.

Kirby
04-29-2009, 20:35
I'm sorry, but thinking that you can hike 17 miles through the whites, where winter conditions still prevail on the ridge line, is not wise thinking.

I did not even do 17 miles in the Whites during my thru.

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 20:38
I'm sorry, but thinking that you can hike 17 miles through the whites, where winter conditions still prevail on the ridge line, is not wise thinking.

I did not even do 17 miles in the Whites during my thru.

I agree with you.

The whole 17 miles in general is not smart no matter who you are, esp through some of the most beautiful trail.

STEVEM
04-29-2009, 21:55
It seems that everyone agrees that Scott over-estimated his abilities and made some bad judgements last weekend. Obviously he endangered himself and his rescuers. Except for some good luck, his own skill and the work of mountain rescue this could have been another tragedy.

All over this country there are 17 year old kids who over-estimated their abilities last weekend and endangered themselves and others by making bad decisions. For the most part they got away with it and no one really cares.

If we could meet Scott twenty years from now my guess is that whatever character traits made him an Eagle Scout and told him that hiking that mountain was a reasonable decision combined with his ability to survive when things went wrong will have combined to produce the kind of young man and citizen we need.

We need a lot more kids like Scott.

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 22:03
It seems that everyone agrees that Scott over-estimated his abilities and made some bad judgements last weekend. Obviously he endangered himself and his rescuers. Except for some good luck, his own skill and the work of mountain rescue this could have been another tragedy.

All over this country there are 17 year old kids who over-estimated their abilities last weekend and endangered themselves and others by making bad decisions. For the most part they got away with it and no one really cares.

If we could meet Scott twenty years from now my guess is that whatever character traits made him an Eagle Scout and told him that hiking that mountain was a reasonable decision combined with his ability to survive when things went wrong will have combined to produce the kind of young man and citizen we need.

Nice post STEVE:D

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 22:04
I

We have Kirby!:p

Tin Man
04-29-2009, 22:08
We have Kirby!:p

you ain't so bad kid...

every generation has smart folks who will be future leaders in their chosen field, nothing unique about this one

Blissful
04-29-2009, 22:16
People droppin like flies from the heat last year. One day we were hiking and it was just over 100. I went to school ion VA and the heat can be unbearable along with the humidity.

Yes, heat itself can be dangerous. But the trail in VA itself is not dangerous. (we had 100 degree heat in PA on ours. And oppressive humidity in CT). Weather can definitely be a danger factor. It was in the Whites for the 17 year old - with the snow, rain, warmth leading to snow melt, etc. It was for us too up there a few years back in a bad thunderstorm. Not the trail. The weather.

BUT...trail wise - I still think the ladder hop and rock climbing exercise on Speck Mtn is dangerous...first time I really realized if I miss that rung, I could fall down the mountain and die. Crazy stuff.

Blissful
04-29-2009, 22:18
you are such a risk taker and didn't even know it! :)

Guess that is how I was able to do the AT...

I live in Virginia in the summer! :D

Tin Man
04-29-2009, 22:21
Yes, heat itself can be dangerous. But the trail in VA itself is not dangerous. (we had 100 degree heat in PA on ours. And oppressive humidity in CT). Weather can definitely be a danger factor. It was in the Whites for the 17 year old - with the snow, rain, warmth leading to snow melt, etc. It was for us too up there a few years back in a bad thunderstorm. Not the trail. The weather.

BUT...trail wise - I still think the ladder hop and rock climbing exercise on Speck Mtn is dangerous...first time I really realized if I miss that rung, I could fall down the mountain and die. Crazy stuff.

Hmm, we are hitting Speck this year... sounds interesting

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 22:22

Nevermind, obviously no one is grasping my point :rolleyes:

Blissful
04-29-2009, 22:22
Hmm, we are hitting Speck this year... sounds interesting

Good luck! :eek:

Just kidding- really, have a good time with it. I was just having hard day when I did it. Southern Maine was tough stuff.

Tin Man
04-29-2009, 22:24
Nevermind, obviously no one is grasping my point :rolleyes:

your point was lost between everyday dangers and going out of your way to get into serious danger. :)

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 22:36
your point was lost between everyday dangers and going out of your way to get into serious danger. :)

My point is to respect Mother Nature no matter where you are!

Reid
04-29-2009, 22:48
My point is to respect Mother Nature no matter where you are!

This kid may have large stones for a 17 yr. old, but he was not doing this if you ask me!

ShakeyLeggs
04-30-2009, 00:17
http://www.topix.net/nursing/2009/04/teen-hiker-discharged-from-nh-hospital

Funkmeister
04-30-2009, 01:11
I sat here for awhile thinking about how I could improve on SteveM's statement.

Turns out I can't. Well put all around.

Reid
04-30-2009, 09:23
Somebody track this kid down......get him signed up, and let's get him to tell his story. I'm sure he knows what WB is.

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 09:26
Somebody track this kid down......get him signed up, and let's get him to tell his story. I'm sure he knows what WB is.

Youd be surprised, most people of the trail have no idea what WB is and dont care to.

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 09:28

Just wait for the made for TV movie with Meredith Baxter Burney playing the mom, and Zac Effron playing the kid.

Reid
04-30-2009, 11:05
Youd be surprised, most people of the trail have no idea what WB is and dont care to.

Well that is a surprise to me. Hey weren't you suppose to help me out last year Chaco? You get squared away?

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 11:59
Well that is a surprise to me. Hey weren't you suppose to help me out last year Chaco? You get squared away?

Huh???:confused:

Gray Blazer
04-30-2009, 14:19
Youd be surprised, most people of the trail have no idea what WB is

This is true.

Bearpaw
04-30-2009, 17:36
WB is a popular website compared to MOST hiking sites, but most hikers have still never heard of it.

I think most are just glad to be out hiking.

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 17:37
WB is a popular website compared to MOST hiking sites, but most hikers have still never heard of it.

I think most are just glad to be out hiking.

Agreed. Freakin cyber-:rolleyes::Dhikers

Blissful
04-30-2009, 19:23

Wild - the ones I talked to in '07 did and they actually didn't have to much good to say about it. I tried to put a positive spin on it.

Reid
05-01-2009, 09:25
Well I love to thumb through WB every morning even if I'm just making random conversations not even about hiking. It's a good outlet for people like me who can't always hit the trail.

Pedaling Fool
05-01-2009, 10:01
Saw this article on TP, http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1892621,00.html?xid=rss-nation-yahoo. Anyone know if the kid/parents got charged for this rescue?

I’m against charging for SAR missions. This is what makes us uniquely American. We should not lose that, just because money is spent.

On an emotional basis I understand and sometimes believe in the sentiment of charging the dumb ass. However, what about the hiker that takes all precautions and ends up requiring SAR assistance.

The question seems obvious and many ask it, including the article:
“If you put yourself in danger, knowingly or through your own negligence, who should cover the bill for your rescue?”

The answer seems obvious, if you recklessly put your self in a precarious situation, you’re responsible and will pay. However, who defines, “negligence”, “reckless” and “precarious”? This is a slippery slope that could easily lead us to a European-style policy – from the Article:
“In much of Europe, the answer is simple. In most scenarios, you are responsible for yourself, and many outdoor enthusiasts travel with insurance specifically to offset costs should they need to be rescued.”

I find it absurd that Europeans, who are already taxed to death, must purchase a hiker’s insurance. What are taxes for, so the government can waste it on corporate bailouts or special projects for their lobbyists? I say let’s hold them accountable for the way they spend our money and not allow them to charge us for our activities.

The Mechanical Man
05-04-2009, 02:08
Glad he survived.

To quote Kirby, ..... "Are you naturally such a prick or did you have to take a course?"

The guy survived, give him some credit. :banana