PDA

View Full Version : resupply for cannister stoves

Mike Way
04-30-2009, 08:11
For those of us planning on using stoves with cannisters (isorbutane/propane fuel mix for ex.), how often can we count on buying new ones? Conversly, I guess, how many small cannisters should we carry?

In previous posts, I've been encouraged to use an alcohol stove but just like the convenience of a Snow Peak stove.

bulldog49
04-30-2009, 11:35
There used to be a thread in the Articles Forum listing cannister resupply locations for the entire trail. It seems to have vanished. :confused:

Semperfeet
05-25-2009, 16:20
I also like the canister stove - just because I like them. However, I have found myself carrying too much weight in spare fuel or too many empty canisters because of the lack of reliability for resupply or convenient place to dump trash. My solution is to carry my canister stove with one extra fuel canister AND an alcohol stove. I will use the canister stove every chance I get but when I can't resupply with canister fuel, I can be pretty sure I can resupply with enough alcohol to get me to a place where I can. The alcohol stove is an empty potted meat can so there is no expense and no weight. Also, if you want to manufacture one on the fly, you don't even need to carry it with you.

Snowleopard
05-25-2009, 16:25
I've pretty much decided to do what semperfeet suggests -- carry an alcohol stove as a backup. If I'm planning on being out longer than a large canister will do or travelling internationally, I'll carry my Optimus Nova liquid fuel stove and use gasoline or kerosene.

Nean
05-26-2009, 00:52
You will soon figure out how much fuel you use.:-? Whats a few extra ounces anyway. :confused: Another small canister weighs as much as the alcohol/stove. (i carry my alcohol in a mason jar):eek: Hostels and hiker boxes often have full to partially canisters so I'd check there first.;) Worst case, start a fire.:banana Distant relative let me in on that one.:rolleyes: