PDA

View Full Version : to take or not

tagalong hiker
06-10-2004, 08:49
I plan to section hike the AT from NY border to vermont and want to take my camera. The problem is this my Cannon Rebel 2000 with its bag weighs almost 3 pounds i have a pentax point and shoot with a altered fanny pack that weighs a little over a pound. I like the flexability of the cannon but not sure if the extra weight is worth it,my pack weighs almost 30 pounds. so do i go with the lighter camera with less options or take the rebel ?
This is my first back packing trip.
what to do:confused: thanks tagalong

peter_pan
06-10-2004, 09:03
lug what you like...just like what you lug...........30 lbs seems high to start ... hope that includes a week of food and two qts of water.

smokymtnsteve
06-10-2004, 09:06
30 lbs is not real heavy...I carry in the mid 30's so that I can have my coffee press and frying pan, if you enjoy photography like I do coffee then the camera is wirth it's weight. some of these guys have trouble carrying much weight, HYOH..enjoy

rumbler
06-10-2004, 09:11
Firefeet took her 35mm rig with assorted attachments on her entire hike last year. Considering that she may weigh 90 lbs after a hard rain and her pack weighed around 50 lbs. when she started, she was constantly badgered to drop the camera to help get her weight down. She did get her weight down, but kept the camera. Finished the trail, and now has an amazing set of photographs that she will enjoy for her lifetime.

If you have a passion for photography, take it. Save weight elsewhere, or just carry the weight. Average backpacking weights a decade ago were pounds heavier than they are now, and yet many still completed thru-hikes. If taking pictures and playing with the camera are fun to you, then take it. You can always ship it home if need be.

Lone Wolf
06-10-2004, 09:13
Bring the camera.

Alligator
06-10-2004, 09:39
I used to carry a SLR 35 mm. (I ended up switching to a digital for several reasons, not all backpacking related.) I used one of those t-shaped cases to hold it, which I hung off my sternum straps. It put the camera right were I was inclined to take it out. It also balanced my pack some. I found that I used it a lot more frequently with this setup then when it was in my pack or hanging off the back of the pack. As long as you put it to good use, bring it.

Noggin
06-10-2004, 11:44
Take pictures with your noggin. :jump That's what I do.

Tater
06-18-2004, 19:33
You may want to try taking it, but not many people keep a non-essential item that heavy for very long. If you can pick up a lighter camera without compromising photo quality too much, I suggest that.

Big Guy
06-18-2004, 20:34
I echo many of the other comments in that pictures are a valuable part of the adventure. Even though I have not thru hiked, I do want a camera on each trip. The one time I forgot I regreted some of the pictures I missed. Picture are a great way to share your advennture with those that can not go or are unable to enjoy the trail like we do. I would recommend a small digital.