PDA

View Full Version : cell service

dave522
04-30-2009, 18:00
I had a question about cell service in smokey mnt. national park. If you are on top do you have cell service in the park. I like to check on my mom and check in with the wife each eve. if I can.

Summit
04-30-2009, 18:15
Generally, the rule of thumb is if you are up on a ridge and are a Verizon Wireless subscriber, you stand a good chance of getting a signal. There are remote parts of GSMNP however, so YMMV.

Tennessee Viking
04-30-2009, 18:40
Most of the towers around Gatlinburg and Smokies are Verizon. I always roamed over to Verizon with Sprint and Alltel

take-a-knee
04-30-2009, 19:08
Most of the towers around Gatlinburg and Smokies are Verizon. I always roamed over to Verizon with Sprint and Alltel

Others have posted that Verizon works up high all the way to VA for the most part. It worked well for me last summer from Wayah Gap NC south and I could usually get one bar most places on the BMT from the AT to the Ocoee River this spring.

Blissful
04-30-2009, 19:26
I got cell service okay. I had Verizon.

dave522
04-30-2009, 19:53
I had a question about cell service in smokey mnt. national park. If you are on top do you have cell service in the park. I like to check on my mom and check in with the wife each eve. if I can.

thanks for the response, I'll feel better knowing I can check on my mother and talk to my wife in the eve.

sheepdog
04-30-2009, 21:33
Let her know sometimes it doesn't work. Saves the freaking out factor. Sometimes if I hit a high spot and get a signal, I will call home and leave a message even if I know my wife isn't home. Just incase there is no signal at night.

Summit
04-30-2009, 22:44
Yep, whenever I call my wife, I tell her I'll call her that night IF I have signal, and if you don't hear from me, it means I don't have signal. That seems to do the trick . . . has a calming effect. :)