PDA

View Full Version : Gear junkie

Bear Cables
04-30-2009, 19:15
I am such a gear junkie! My lastest delivery from Campmor arrived yesterday before I got home. My husband told my son," Mom's got another package...don't know what it is but I bet it's light!"

Any other gear junkies out there?

Blissful
04-30-2009, 19:35
Just put my order in today, after I finally got the online order form working! Their site is a pain.

Egads
04-30-2009, 19:37

Yes there are

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-30-2009, 19:43
You have 1 here, add to that I am also a bargain hound. I bought 75 gortex bivy's just because the price was right lol, yesterday I got a titanium 8 inch long telescoping fishing rod with reel. I know the mailman must hate me, everyday he has to bring me packages lol, although he didn't bring out the bivy boxes, the four of them wouldn't fit in his car lol.

Engine
04-30-2009, 20:07
You have 1 here, add to that I am also a bargain hound. I bought 75 gortex bivy's just because the price was right lol, yesterday I got a titanium 8 inch long telescoping fishing rod with reel. I know the mailman must hate me, everyday he has to bring me packages lol, although he didn't bring out the bivy boxes, the four of them wouldn't fit in his car lol.

Funny you mention the mailman hating you. I think my UPS guy feels the same way about me lately. I'll bet he's been here 10 times in the last 3 weeks. :)

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-30-2009, 20:18
I have a dog, and my ups guy as well as the Mailman Ernie or both Black. I didn't know it b4 but seems like southern black men are scared to death of dogs, and Spike barks at everything that gets near his yard, so Ernie will call me when I have packages that will not fit in the Box, and the Ups guy honks with his doors closed, if Spike doesnt come running or I don't come out, then he will bring the package to the door. What is bad is Spike is the nicest dog, as long as you don't F$%^ with his truck.

Bear Cables
04-30-2009, 20:29
Funny you mention the mailman hating you. I think my UPS guy feels the same way about me lately. I'll bet he's been here 10 times in the last 3 weeks. :)

I think my UPS man and I are becoming best friends. He always want to know what my latest toy is.

Many Walks
04-30-2009, 20:32
I am such a gear junkie! My lastest delivery from Campmor arrived yesterday before I got home. My husband told my son," Mom's got another package...don't know what it is but I bet it's light!"

I'm thinkin' WB is Gear Junkie Central!

Geez, I went to CO two weeks ago to pick up a Jeep, stopped at Dick's in Salt Lake City and bought a Mountainsmith Master pack.

Last weekend we were looking at Western Mountaineering down bags, picked up the Osprey Exos 58 packs and they were so light we bought those. The question is how many packs does a person really need?

Just ordered a couple more books on Amazon on Northern CA trails and can't wait till I can get into the REI Anniversary sale.

This is worse than drugs! Glad to see others are hooked too!!

Our UPS guy loves us...we help to keep him employed.

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-30-2009, 20:48
I think you need at least 4 packs lol A large pack for the longer hikes a small pack for the weekend hikes, a backup and a pack for friends to use lol

Many Walks
04-30-2009, 21:08
I think you need at least 4 packs lol A large pack for the longer hikes a small pack for the weekend hikes, a backup and a pack for friends to use lol
Thanks, I feel much better now.

We have Osprey Aethers, Granite Gear Virgas, Coleman Exponents, North Face Day packs, a new Diva, the Mountainsmith Master and now Osprey Exos 58's. 6 packs each should be enough with plenty for friends.

We only have 2 sleeping bags each....going back to the Western Mountaineering and will take it from there.

Thanks for the reinforcement!

sheepdog
04-30-2009, 21:25
Guilty, my basement looks like a sporting goods store. I can outfit at least four hikers.

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-30-2009, 21:30
Thanks, I feel much better now.

We have Osprey Aethers, Granite Gear Virgas, Coleman Exponents, North Face Day packs, a new Diva, the Mountainsmith Master and now Osprey Exos 58's. 6 packs each should be enough with plenty for friends.

We only have 2 sleeping bags each....going back to the Western Mountaineering and will take it from there.

Thanks for the reinforcement!LOL I only have 3 sleeping bags I use for hiking, but I have a 4 for car camping, and popup trailer camping lol. I don't have any idea how many fishing rods I have, which is funny because I don't remember the last time I went fishing lol. What's bad is now I am on this homemade gear kick, so I go to the thrift stores, yard sales, and flea markets and buy everything I think I might be able to use in a project lol. Wanna know what I can not find? Tent poles!!!!! I can find them new for like 10 dollars for 3, but heck I could buy a 20 dollar tent at walmart with 16 ft of poles lol. I can't believe I don't have a single old useless dome tent lol. 3 gazeebos, a screen room, and a 12 by 12 dome, but no old tent I could use for parts lol.

sheepdog
04-30-2009, 21:34
If you know how many stoves you have. You don't have enough stoves.

Two Tents
04-30-2009, 21:45
"This is worse than drugs! Glad to see others are hooked too!!" I Can't stop my quest for gear! So much to see- so much to get-yumm! Gear!-Yum! Two Tents.

irrationalsolutions
05-01-2009, 01:30
if it counts im not allowed to look at sac anymore. the wife said if i bought anything else she was going to put a password on my laptop and take my cards.

jrwiesz
05-01-2009, 02:09

I'll bet he's happy to have the job.:-?

My wife tells me I should leave ours a tip.:eek:

TIP-get a different job if you don't like it.;)

I'm stimulating the economy, give me a break.:D

Just sayin'.:sun

jrwiesz
05-01-2009, 02:19
if it counts im not allowed to look at sac anymore. the wife said if i bought anything else she was going to put a password on my laptop and take my cards.

My sympathies go out to you. Take two Keltys, and check-out ebay in the morning.:D

I'm hooked on ebay; yes dear that was the last thing I'm going to buy............until the next bargain.:o

Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm lucky enough to be stimulating the economy.:sun

irrationalsolutions
05-01-2009, 02:52
i do have a black ops program at home going on right now. i figure she doesnt really know what gear i have so she wont notice new gear. i just have to get it in the house and with the other gear before she knows whats going on. the problem is that my gear has doubled since i started doing this and im running out of room for it.

you may think its funny but i even have a few things stuffed in the box springs of the guest rooms bed.

jrwiesz
05-01-2009, 04:49
i do have a black ops program at home going on right now. i figure she doesnt really know what gear i have so she wont notice new gear. i just have to get it in the house and with the other gear before she knows whats going on. the problem is that my gear has doubled since i started doing this and im running out of room for it.

you may think its funny but i even have a few things stuffed in the box springs of the guest rooms bed.

You may need to seek professional help! You got it bad.:D

Egads
05-01-2009, 06:19
Ever try to hide 6 sleeping bags & 2 down quilts from your wife? :-?

Egads
05-01-2009, 06:20
Ever try to hide 6 packs from your wife? :-?

Egads
05-01-2009, 06:21
Ever try to hide 6 tents, 2 tarps, and a hammock from your wife? :-?

Downhill Trucker
05-01-2009, 07:43
The real addiction is when you start making gear...

SlowLightTrek
05-01-2009, 08:59
Maybe you guys need to start a support group.

Turtlehiker
05-01-2009, 09:09
My wife complained about all my gear, you know I don't miss her as much as I thought I would.:)

jrnj5k
05-01-2009, 09:31
My wife complained about all my gear, you know I don't miss her as much as I thought I would.:)

best comment ever

Many Walks
05-01-2009, 09:54
Good point...GEAR JUNKIES UNITE!!!

I guess our 12 step plan would start something like ...

THE TWELVE STEPS OF GEAR JUNKIES

1. We admitted we were powerless over GEAR—that our lives had become unmanageable.

Pootz
05-01-2009, 10:00

Add http://www.steepandcheap.com/ to your desk top. And keep your credit card handy.

Desert Reprobate
05-01-2009, 10:28

If you have to hide 6packs from your wife, someone needs AA

Engine
05-01-2009, 10:31

Yesterday, just after reading this thread, I ordered my wife a GoLite Jam2 on SAC for only $43.95 to help offset the many other recent purchases. It was eagerly accepted since it's 2 pounds lighter than her current pack.

Ever try to hide 6 tents, 2 tarps, and a hammock from your wife? :-?

See above message. Just get her into the UL mentality and she'll get excited every time you find a new lighter product. I came home the other day and there was a pile of cut off tags laying on the kitchen table. She's got it bad now. :)

1. We admitted we were powerless over GEAR—that our lives had become unmanageable.

This sounds okay as long as the meetings are scheduled in a manner that doesn't interfere with SAC's better sales. :D

leeki pole
05-01-2009, 10:49
Reminds me of the old tale, my wife complained about my gear, ran off with my hiking buddy, and I sure do miss him. Just kidding.:D

Jayboflavin04
05-01-2009, 12:28

Hi!! My name is apples and I am a gear junkie!

jrnj5k
05-01-2009, 15:50
I just bought a down jacket

Mrs Baggins
05-01-2009, 16:01
Let's see - 4 sleeping bags, 2 tents, 5 packs, (not counting 3 day packs), 4 sleeping mats, (and just ordered another one), 2 sets of poles.......and that's MY backpacking stuff. Then there's the stuff for camping when we take the tent trailer...countless pots and pans, 2 stoves ('cause we cook outdoors, not in the trailer unless it's raining), at least 5 stove top coffee pots......I could go on.

I've been addicted to Amazon and eBay for years. I collect stuff related to Lord of the Rings and Tolkien, besides a heavy addiction to books and things about the AT. One day my son and I were in the family room and a truck went by our house (couldn't see it from the that room - just heard it). I looked up and said "UPS". My son asked how I could know that. I told him the UPS truck had a slow, loud engine noise and the FedEx truck was a higher pitched faster noise. He stared at me for a moment, shook his head, and said "We get WAY too much stuff from Amazon!" And on the return from a week long trip to London, my husband met me at the airport. The first thing he said was "Adam and I have decided that you have completely lost your mind." Seems 5 boxes of LOTR things had arrived all in the same week from eBay sellers.

hammock engineer
05-01-2009, 16:16
Add http://www.steepandcheap.com/ to your desk top. And keep your credit card handy.

That is the worst. Limit myself now to 1 thing a week. Unless of course another good deal comes along. Great for shoes and cheap wool shirts and high end fleeces I wouldn't pay for price for and rain gear.....

Luckily no wife at home to convince I don't have a problem. The funny thing is I have them delivered to my work, don't trust it on my front porch. I have a few boxes there right now only to get worse by the time I make it in next.

hammock engineer
05-01-2009, 16:18
I just bought a down jacket

Which one? I'm thinking about buying the montbell ultralight one. Trying to drop some pack weight for a trip this summer.

The bad part is I am to the point where more weight out of the pack is getting pricey. $30 an oz for the jacket over my fleece. I think I have a problem, but I can't tell.

Engine
05-01-2009, 16:53
Which one? I'm thinking about buying the montbell ultralight one. Trying to drop some pack weight for a trip this summer.

The bad part is I am to the point where more weight out of the pack is getting pricey. $30 an oz for the jacket over my fleece. I think I have a problem, but I can't tell.

$30 an oz. :eek: and I'm still debating over a $55 Vargo 1.3L pot that would shave 3.4 oz. off my load. That's just over $16 an oz. of weight saved and it seems too steep right now. I wonder what some of us are willing to spend to save an ounce? It would be a good stand alone thread...

hammock engineer
05-01-2009, 17:38
$30 an oz. :eek: and I'm still debating over a $55 Vargo 1.3L pot that would shave 3.4 oz. off my load. That's just over $16 an oz. of weight saved and it seems too steep right now. I wonder what some of us are willing to spend to save an ounce? It would be a good stand alone thread...

I'm trying to make that jump from light weight to almost ultra light. Right now it's that, the packa to save 5 oz, or making a tarp out of Spinntex to save maybe 6 oz. Could do all of it, but that's a lot of money to save a pound.

Not ready to forgo the jetboil yet, not convienced the savings is there over a week trip boiling water 3 times a day. And going to be carrying 30 lbs plus or minus so can't go with an ultralight pack.

Tough decisions.:(

jrnj5k
05-01-2009, 17:51
i got the montbell ex lite down jacket. 5.7 oz. Its not cheap but i dont think you can beat it for the weight and functionality of it. Especially since i bought it to use at night and early mornings when sitting around and on a cold night to extend the temp of my bag.

Tipi Walter
05-01-2009, 17:55

Franklin Delano Roosevelt must've been a gear freak cuz he said "The only gear you have to fear is gear itself." Ha Ha Ha.

Engine
05-01-2009, 18:00
I'm trying to make that jump from light weight to almost ultra light. Right now it's that, the packa to save 5 oz, or making a tarp out of Spinntex to save maybe 6 oz. Could do all of it, but that's a lot of money to save a pound.

Not ready to forgo the jetboil yet, not convienced the savings is there over a week trip boiling water 3 times a day. And going to be carrying 30 lbs plus or minus so can't go with an ultralight pack.

For the most part, UL hasn't changed how I do anything, just what I do it with. I still have the same general gear list, but the items themselves have been relentlessly pared down regarding weight. As for cooking, I only rarely eat a hot breakfast or lunch so we usually only heat water for dinner. I know a lot of people think UL leads to discomfort, but that simply hasn't been the case for us (my wife and I).

i got the montbell ex lite down jacket. 5.7 oz. Its not cheap but i dont think you can beat it for the weight and functionality of it. Especially since i bought it to use at night and early mornings when sitting around and on a cold night to extend the temp of my bag.

I have been eyeballing a really lite down jacket to replace my light fleece vest which weighs as much as your new jacket. For cold weather hiking it would be a great addition to my gear. Please let me know how you like the jacket when it arrives.

hammock engineer
05-01-2009, 18:06
For the most part, UL hasn't changed how I do anything, just what I do it with. I still have the same general gear list, but the items themselves have been relentlessly pared down regarding weight. As for cooking, I only rarely eat a hot breakfast or lunch so we usually only heat water for dinner. I know a lot of people think UL leads to discomfort, but that simply hasn't been the case for us (my wife and I).

I have been eyeballing a really lite down jacket to replace my light fleece vest which weighs as much as your new jacket. For cold weather hiking it would be a great addition to my gear. Please let me know how you like the jacket when it arrives.

I'm with you on the comfort thing. The reason I hammock, cook my meals, and drink coffee hiking. Warm, dry, and well feed are musts for me.

Just trying to make that jump from 16 lbs base weight to 13 or 14 lbs. A lot harder than I thought. Easier if the temps would be warmer where I am going. I think for the next long distance hike it will still be 5 lbs over that after I add the comforts I like over the long term.

hammock engineer
05-01-2009, 18:07

Thanks I heard they run small. Usually wear XL shirts and XXL jackets. I did see XXL's are available through their website.

jrnj5k
05-01-2009, 23:35
Thanks I heard they run small. Usually wear XL shirts and XXL jackets. I did see XXL's are available through their website.

no offense but i hope you heard wrong. i hate returning stuff

Tinker
05-01-2009, 23:37

Currently recovering :o.

I'm more into the hike and less into the gear than I ever was before.

Wags
05-01-2009, 23:39
i'm currently watching some gear being shipped from washington state through the ups tracking system. i wonder if it's at the next facility yet

Many Walks
05-02-2009, 00:01
Franklin Delano Roosevelt must've been a gear freak cuz he said "The only gear you have to fear is gear itself." Ha Ha Ha.
That's funny...good one Tipi!

Trailbender
05-02-2009, 05:40
I just get the gear I need. I get it to help me outdoors, not to have gear. I prefer to make what I can.

Jayboflavin04
05-02-2009, 10:00
no offense but i hope you heard wrong. i hate returning stuff

I have the montbell ultra light down jacket.....and yes they do run small. The XL for me is just the right fit. I tried on the large and it "fit" but did not allow for free movement.

Engine
05-02-2009, 15:36
I just get the gear I need. I get it to help me outdoors, not to have gear. I prefer to make what I can.

I'm with you on that train of thought. Every piece of gear I buy is thought out and compared at length to competing items. The problem is every time I make a purchase, someone produces a better product within what seems like weeks and then I am left knowing there is an improvement to be made in some way. I could outfit 5 other hikers with stuff in my office and shed...

Cedar Tree
05-03-2009, 10:11

Hammock Engineer, you wouldn't save 5 oz with the newest Packas. Although much, much better because all of the seams are now factory taped, they do weigh 2 oz more now. Which is probably what a good seam sealing on the old ones would add. The new packas weigh 12.5 oz.

CT

Squeamish
08-09-2009, 21:58
it is a growing epidemic... i am 16 and have so much gear i dont know what to do with it all! haha.

MikenSalem
08-09-2009, 23:02
Hiking is sooo much less expensive than deer hunting my wife thinks it's the bomb. I have enough in any one gun to re-outfit myself and I practically own an arsenal. I thought about selling one or two and getting more gear but lets face it I still like them all. I would sell my four wheeler though... maybe. After all I walk everywhere now.

Pringles
08-11-2009, 18:19
I don't even know what to say. I very much resemble this whole thread. I have 14 tents. I have I don't know how many sleeping bags. I have four kayaks and two canoes and countless paddles and boots and stoves and packs and dry bags and then I had to get different thread to make more and better gear and more tools to make more paddles and... I'm starting to hyperventilate because we're talking about GEAR! And it's still cheaper than my co-worker's horse fettish. :)

Let me show you some pictures of my tents. :sun

Cabin Fever
08-11-2009, 21:09
I thought it would end when I had everything I needed then I discovered REI. I thought it would end when I had everything I needed from REI, then I discovered ultralight. I thought I it would end when I thought I was as light as I wanted to go, then I discovered SAC.

Vicious cycle.

skinewmexico
08-12-2009, 03:37
Your're not a gear junkie until you have the SAC popup running, and your credit card stowed on the website. And if you have all your gear mailed to the office, the spouse doesn't know. I had so much gear coming, that when I switched office buildings but shipped to my old address, the UPS guy found me.

Trailbender
09-04-2009, 11:22
Hiking is sooo much less expensive than deer hunting my wife thinks it's the bomb. I have enough in any one gun to re-outfit myself and I practically own an arsenal. I thought about selling one or two and getting more gear but lets face it I still like them all. I would sell my four wheeler though... maybe. After all I walk everywhere now.

Don't need a lot of gear for deer hunting, I know a guy who hunts with an old 30-06 with iron sights, gets one every time. I have a few guns, but they are self defense, the .22 can be used for hunting, and the semi AK clone can bag a deer if needed. The 7.62x39 has similar ballistics to the .30-30 round. Skill and knowledge are much more important than fancy gear. Not trying to bash you, but in our greedy materialistic society people think they need to buy more stuff to solve problems. I think everyone should sit back and rethink this. I have bought gear, but later on learned how to dirtbag items in my kit.

hikingshoes
09-04-2009, 11:58
:eek:my old lady married the dude next door,so i left house/job/and state!:o
Reminds me of the old tale, my wife complained about my gear, ran off with my hiking buddy, and I sure do miss him. Just kidding.:D