PDA

View Full Version : Maps

bishopj
04-30-2009, 20:49
I just got a map of Virginia it call scenic roads of Virginia. It show the A.T. But also show
all the road crossing for the A.T. incl. trail towns i thing this might be a good thing to bring in case i want to get off at a road that not on the A.T maps what do you guys think

:confused:

garlic08
04-30-2009, 20:51
I think carrying a road map is an excellent idea.

sly dog
04-30-2009, 22:19
Almost every road map of the eastern states shows the AT on it but they are not very acurate for crossings, stick with the ATC maps, they show roads,trails,shelters,etc,etc,etc.

Skyline
04-30-2009, 22:43
It depends on the trail map.

For example, look at the two maps published by PATC for the part of Virginia from Rockfish Gap south to the James River. Easy to read because of the graphic design, colors, fonts; lots of detail, and wide enough to show the roads east and west of the AT. In some places it even goes as far west as I-81.

Then, look at Virginia Map #5, sold by ATC, which covers the same trail miles. One of the smaller, green-covered ones popular with ultralighters. See that kind of detail of trail features? See those roads east and west with as much consistency?

McKeever
05-01-2009, 01:25
The AT maps are useless outside the AT corridor. I can atest that carrying suplimental local maps are imperritave (if 3 feet of snow blows in and you have to bush wack your way to the closest road outside the AT corridor. Ever heard of KoKadjo, ME?!).

sly dog
05-01-2009, 09:54
Every time I head out on the trail I dont want to carry maps I am not going to use like road maps but a good idea would be to take the trail map and draw some info on them like roads that aren't listed. Thats the nice thing about maps, they are paper and you can alter them with written in info. I hear ya with knowing what roads you can take out but like a lotta hikers, if I didn't use it last time i wont take it this time. I also take my data book and write some of that info on the maps so I dont need to carry the data book also.

Rockhound
05-01-2009, 10:28
I just got a map of Virginia it call scenic roads of Virginia. It show the A.T. But also show
all the road crossing for the A.T. incl. trail towns i thing this might be a good thing to bring in case i want to get off at a road that not on the A.T maps what do you guys think

:confused:
Has the same info in the handbooks. Ditch the weight.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-01-2009, 11:04
I am a bit of a tech geek, so I have a G1 from T-mobile. It has google maps with a gps. There are plenty of other phones with the same feature, and some phone like the G1 have millions of free application, many are great for hikers, like downloadable books, compass, Trail coder, and many more. Add a solar charger, and you have many of the items you need in 1 small light package, that you are probably carying anyways lol. I know the Ipone does the same things, but not sure what other phones work as well as the G1 or the Iphone.

bishopj
05-01-2009, 12:00
Hi the map i got is not just a road map it show most the trails and all the small road that hook
up with the A.T. too and the main roads thur Virginia. It got a lot of details on the roads and trails.

sly dog
05-01-2009, 12:44
Not using a cell phone is one reason I like to hike. Please if you carry it on, turn off the ringer, use the vibration as a ringer.