PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a pad

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-30-2009, 21:17
I want to make a light weight durable pad. I would prefer if it would fit inside my pack, but I could put it under the cover. If it is under the cover I wouldn't want it to be more than 18 inches wide, because if it were wider than the pack it would get in the way. I could always buy a foam pad and cut it down, but that isn't what I want. Any suggestions on how to make a folding pad I would appreciate it. I have thought about carpet foam with nylon glued on, but IDK. ANy help would be great!!

fiddlehead
04-30-2009, 21:42
Sounds like a foam pad cut down is exactly what you need because you want a specific (and probably hard to find) size to fit perfect with your pack.

I usually take a cheap foam pad and cut them in half lengthwise and trim a bit off the sides also. They last about 2 thru-hikes and usually break when they get thin from pulling them out of my pack when there's too much resistance.

Good luck in your quest.

Wags
04-30-2009, 21:45
i'd sew some straps on the bottom of your pack and simply carry a full sized wally world blue pad there (i'm assuming w/ your situation described, you don't have straps already there). they're so light and cheap it's not even fair really

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-30-2009, 23:08
I have straps on the bottom too, but I hate when the pack is really wide. At my widest spot I am 18 inches wide, and would rather have no pad than need to twist and spin to get my pack to fit while hiking up the trail. Does anyone think if I made a quilt stuffed with polyfil it would be comfortable? Not sure if a quilted pad is the best idea, but if others think it is, what would you fill it with?

Wags
05-01-2009, 00:32
that wouldn't work b/c the insulation would get crushed. can you lash the sleeping pad on your pack vertically? like on the back running up and down?

Wags
05-01-2009, 00:35
i wonder what kind of R-value's you'd get if you cut a space blanket (or similar) to the size of your blue walmart pad and put it in between 2 of them. then used some sort of adhesive to keep them together. the 2 blue pads should, in theory, protect the mylar. i think that's basically what thermarest did w/ the neo air, but they used air on 1 half and insulation on the other half

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-01-2009, 01:28
That was kinda my thought, maybe use 1.1 ripstop and apply it with spray on adhesive. But then I thought that might be to rigid to easily pack? I know I am super picky about what I want huh lol? Hey who knows together we may design the perfect mat lol.

Rocketman
05-01-2009, 09:51
I want to make a light weight durable pad. I would prefer if it would fit inside my pack, but I could put it under the cover. If it is under the cover I wouldn't want it to be more than 18 inches wide, because if it were wider than the pack it would get in the way. I could always buy a foam pad and cut it down, but that isn't what I want. Any suggestions on how to make a folding pad I would appreciate it. I have thought about carpet foam with nylon glued on, but IDK. ANy help would be great!!

I have an old Thermarest Prolite 3 - 48" long X 20" wide.

It is stored in the pack by folding it the long way first so it is 10" wide, and then rolling it up. This makes a final package about 10" long and 4" in diameter and it could go in the pack on in a side pocket.

The new Thermarest NeoAir folds and rolls small in the same way.

Perhaps, if you thought about folding whatever your device is going to be, you could at least satisfy your "narrowness" objective.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-01-2009, 10:53
Sounds really smart, I have been studying up on the Neo-Air, and have seen as many positive reviews as negative, too bad you can't road test them b4 buying one lol. I think you are right on the folding idea though. Maybe I should just take some bubble wrap lol

Rocketman
05-02-2009, 21:48
Sounds really smart, I have been studying up on the Neo-Air, and have seen as many positive reviews as negative, too bad you can't road test them b4 buying one lol. I think you are right on the folding idea though. Maybe I should just take some bubble wrap lol

I think you ought to buy some kind of a pad and use it. Get some real experience.

camper10469
05-03-2009, 09:14
A 20" pad is not too wide, only 1" on either side. Does it make that much difference?

Desert Reprobate
05-03-2009, 09:22
Just strap it on your pack vertically

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-03-2009, 19:03
Thanks guys you are both correct, I could make do with what I have in quite a few different ways, and if I am unable to make or buy exactly what I want, I will make do. I really enjoy projects, and many times all I am doing is modifying an existing product to fit specific needs, or to nullify what I view as shortcomings of a product.