PDA

View Full Version : ULA Packs

Oms
04-30-2009, 22:56
Anyone know if ULA ever has a sale and if so when it would be?

TwoForty
04-30-2009, 23:04
Nope, you'll have to buy used or pay "retail"

take-a-knee
04-30-2009, 23:14
Nope, you'll have to buy used or pay "retail"

Yeah, and they are worth what they cost, IMO.

Hooch
05-01-2009, 05:01
I wondered the same thing for quite some time before I got my Catalyst. Brian doesn't run sales, but I'd wager that, as TAK said, they're worth every penny you pay for them. Buying used is also not a bad idea to save a few bucks on a ULA pack, if you can find one.

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 17:47
MRO in Damascus carries these packs and sound slike they are going for a pretty good price. Check there

Hooch
05-04-2009, 20:33
MRO in Damascus carries these packs and sound slike they are going for a pretty good price. Check there
Chaco is right. Also carrying them are Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs and Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap.

Mocs123
05-04-2009, 23:15
I didn't see any when I was in Bluff Mountain Outfitters about six weeks ago. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place, but I would call before I went. Mountain Crossings did have plenty of stock when I was there last weekend though.

Oms
05-05-2009, 07:11
Thanks for the info. I have a older P-1 which has worked great for me. Still in great shape. I was wanting one for my son and have posted on the WTB forum where I was informed the small size Circuit is new so the odds of buying one used are slim. He's getting close, but not quiet a medium yet. I may wait or just buy the small, not sure yet. I'm thinking if I do it will probably have resale value.

JAK
05-05-2009, 07:39
When you compare prices, the regular prices of ULA are comparable with the usual sale prices of Go-Lite. For example $100 for a Jam2 on sale vs $100 for a Conduit. I haven't had a chance to try a ULA pack on yet. Before I get a winter pack I will try and do so to compare a ULA Catalyst or ULA Circuit to the Go-Lite Pinnacle. The ULA packs seem to be progressively heavier built for their volume as you progress upwards, whereas the Go-Lite Jam2 to Pinnacle is more constant. Its nice to have both options. Bigger packs don't neccessarily have to be more rugged for their size, but its nice to see ULA offers options without doing what I would call going overboard.

http://ula-equipment.com/conduit.htm

HikerRanky
05-05-2009, 10:35
I have a Go Lite Pinnacle and a ULA Catalyst now. The Pinnacle is a great pack, and is very good for smaller trips or when you pack weight is below 30 pounds.

I just recently was the recipient of some major magic. In honor of my 20th anniversary at the company I work for, a ULA Catalyst, complete with my trail name, was given to me. At first, I thought that it wouldn't feel as good as my Pinnacle. However, I was very wrong. Suffice it to say that a Pinnacle feels like a Cadillac and the Catalyst feels like a Rolls Royce.

I have used the Catalyst on some shakedown hikes, and I must say that it is a much more stable platform than the Pinnacle with the same amount of weight. Sure, the pack itself weighs about a pound more, but it stays right with me going up, down, around, over, under.... The Pinnacle had a habit of shifting around somewhat, but the Catalyst stays right with me.

As I stated earlier, I will use the Pinnacle for smaller trips, but the main pack at my house is the Catalyst now.

Randy

JAK
05-05-2009, 11:06
Cool, have you tried the Jam2.
At 3100ci 20oz that might be better than the Pinnacle now that you have the Catalyst.

I've used the Jam2 with 30 pounds and find it fine, but I wouldn't mind the pack being a pound heavier at that weight if it was more comfortable. What would you say the transition weight would be where you would switch from one to the other, all things considered. Or is there a range where they are equal, and it depends more on details like pockets and pouches and such which you choose for a particular trip?

Lilred
05-05-2009, 13:13
I have a Go Lite Pinnacle and a ULA Catalyst now. The Pinnacle is a great pack, and is very good for smaller trips or when you pack weight is below 30 pounds.

I just recently was the recipient of some major magic. In honor of my 20th anniversary at the company I work for, a ULA Catalyst, complete with my trail name, was given to me. At first, I thought that it wouldn't feel as good as my Pinnacle. However, I was very wrong. Suffice it to say that a Pinnacle feels like a Cadillac and the Catalyst feels like a Rolls Royce.

I have used the Catalyst on some shakedown hikes, and I must say that it is a much more stable platform than the Pinnacle with the same amount of weight. Sure, the pack itself weighs about a pound more, but it stays right with me going up, down, around, over, under.... The Pinnacle had a habit of shifting around somewhat, but the Catalyst stays right with me.

As I stated earlier, I will use the Pinnacle for smaller trips, but the main pack at my house is the Catalyst now.

Randy

Congrats on the 20th Randy. What a great group to give you a catalyst.

HikerRanky
05-05-2009, 13:26
Cool, have you tried the Jam2.
At 3100ci 20oz that might be better than the Pinnacle now that you have the Catalyst.

I've used the Jam2 with 30 pounds and find it fine, but I wouldn't mind the pack being a pound heavier at that weight if it was more comfortable. What would you say the transition weight would be where you would switch from one to the other, all things considered. Or is there a range where they are equal, and it depends more on details like pockets and pouches and such which you choose for a particular trip?

I haven't tried the Jam2... I went thru and looked at my gear and everything, and realized that the Jam2 was just a bit too small for the majority of hiking that I do.

With regards to the weight, I would say that the transition point is right at 30lbs... However, the 2 pockets that are present on the Catalyst hip belt is EXTREMELY handy for things such as a camera, my prescription glasses that I need to see up close is what really helps out. If the Pinnacle had some of those and the mesh pouch on the back like the Catalyst does, it *MIGHT* be a wash....

Randy

HikerRanky
05-05-2009, 13:27
Congrats on the 20th Randy. What a great group to give you a catalyst.

Thanks LilRed.... I told them that I didn't know if I should kick them or hug them.... Right now I'm leaning to the latter :-)

Randy

JAK
05-05-2009, 13:37
I haven't tried the Jam2... I went thru and looked at my gear and everything, and realized that the Jam2 was just a bit too small for the majority of hiking that I do.

With regards to the weight, I would say that the transition point is right at 30lbs... However, the 2 pockets that are present on the Catalyst hip belt is EXTREMELY handy for things such as a camera, my prescription glasses that I need to see up close is what really helps out. If the Pinnacle had some of those and the mesh pouch on the back like the Catalyst does, it *MIGHT* be a wash....

RandyThanks Randy. I've been meaning to change the pouch on the back of my Jam2 to a mesh pouch. It doesn't have much room with the bag is filled especially with the blue foam pad trick. Also a mesh pouch would be good for draining and drying stuff. I might also fit some sort of front pouch and bottle holders so I can get at and stash some stuff some while hiking. Sounds like a really nice pack, both the Catalyst and the Pinnacle.

My next pack I am actually thinking of going more primative, but I might retain the blue foam pad cylinder strategy also. Something like the gearskin, but much lighter, and with a primitive external frame like this:

Iceman Pack Frame:
http://www.primitiveways.com/pack_frame.html

More on Iceman gear:
http://www.primitiveways.com/Iceman.html
http://www.applet-magic.com/iceman.htm