PDA

View Full Version : good synthetic bag?

chrishowe11
05-01-2009, 08:32
hello i am in the market for a new sleeping bag. I prefer synthetic just to save my self the stress? was thinking a 30 degree around 100 to 150 dollars. any idea's? any info is appreciated

Valentine
05-01-2009, 08:49
Check out REI's outlet. They have a nice 1-1/2 bag on sale for about $80.
The model name slips me right now but it is REI's brand.

Engine
05-01-2009, 09:46
The North Face makes a bag called the "Cat's Meow" that has been popular for many years and fits your description. It's heavy compared to a down bag, but that is true of all synthetic bags. If you are not dead set on synthetic you would do well to check out Campmor's down bag. It fits the price range you are looking at and weighs about a pound less than a comparably rated synthetic bag.

max patch
05-01-2009, 11:38
The North Face makes a bag called the "Cat's Meow" that has been popular for many years and fits your description. It's heavy compared to a down bag, but that is true of all synthetic bags. If you are not dead set on synthetic you would do well to check out Campmor's down bag. It fits the price range you are looking at and weighs about a pound less than a comparably rated synthetic bag.

Engine is correct.

First choice should be campmor down bag.

But if you insist on synthetic -- why??!! -- then the cat's meow is what you want. On sale thur 5/10 at REI (just got my ad in the mail).

chrishowe11
05-01-2009, 14:42
i insist on sysnthetic bags because I don't want to deal with the stress of ruining a nice down sleeping bag. If I have a soaking wet synthetic bag, i can stuff it away and dry it when the sun comes out, and it will keep me warm when wet, more so then a down. Ive been out with down bags and I have to be so much more careful and aware of what I do with it. An extra pound to save some stress... im okay with it

thanks for the input so far!

Engine
05-01-2009, 15:44
Chris,
Down only loses out to synthetic as an insulator when it is completely saturated. At the typical levels of dampness we might expect to encounter on the trail, down is still a better insulator than even the best synthetic around right now. As for ruining a down bag, it will dry out just like a synthetic bag when placed in the sun. Down also holds it loft for many years longer than any synthetic material will. I understand your concerns and they mirror my own from years in the past. I carried nothing but synthetic because of the supposed issues with down, but since I made the change I have never looked back and I sleep better as a result. I would be willing to bet that many here would tell you the same thing.