PDA

View Full Version : PA- duncannon to port clinton

jdubs74
06-10-2004, 11:44
hey everybody-

Hoping to get a little info on the trail between Duncannon and Port Clinton.
I will be in the PA for a week, and wanted to walk this section. Last time I visited I walked DWG to Port Clinton. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

jdubs

jersey joe
06-10-2004, 14:01
This section isn't a whole lot different from DWG to Port Clinton. Not much elevation change, kinda rocky and very few views. You won't find any views like THE PULPIT or THE PINNACLE which are found in the DWG to Port Clinton section. Lots of big bird activity, hawks, vultures and the like. Definitly plan on staying at the four walled 501 shelter which is more like a garage with bunks than a shelter.

torch
06-10-2004, 14:13
Just north of the 501 shelter is a very nice tenting area near a great water source. If the shelter is crowded, this is an ideal space. Watch out for thunderstorms too, in this area. The ridges are long and rocky enough that if you get caught on a ridgetop during a lightning storm, you might find it difficult to get down quickly over the rocks. I would recommend doing this section north to south, simply because if you forgot something at the start, Port Clinton has a great outfitter, and at the end, getting a great, greasy burger at "The Pub" in Duncannon is a fine reward for a section well hiked!

jdubs74
06-10-2004, 16:47
jersey joe and torch-

Thanks for the help- I'm hooking up with a friend who's on a thru. I can't wait to be back in PA rockhopping. It's been 6 years since I've been on the trail.

cheers- jdubs74