PDA

View Full Version : Hiking for a Cure

truthisnature
05-01-2009, 08:58
Hey everyone
I just wanted to let you know that the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training program is signing up for the Fall Season. In October we will be heading to the Great Smoky Mountains for our event. We have weekly training hikes, most of which are on the A. T. A great way to get on the trail, meet new folks and help an awesome cause.
The Fall season will be my 3rd hike with TNT and I will be mentoring this time around...so anyone in the Central PA area I hope you come out and join me on the trail. Check out www.teamintraining.org/cpa (http://www.teamintraining.org/cpa) If you aren't in Central PA just put in your zip code and it will take you to your local chapter. See ya on the trail! ~Tracy
http://pages.teamintraining.org//cpa/gcpahike09/truth

Alaskanhkr23
05-02-2009, 11:42
i wanna join

Hawk i
05-02-2009, 17:32
I've had a flyer for probably a year now and have checked online a few times. I have spoken to my wife about it a few times, I signed online for some more info, and will try to make the meeting.

truthisnature
05-04-2009, 08:49
Great!!!! I hope to see you on the trails!!!
[email protected] This is Megan's email she is in charge of the hikes for Central PA....contact her if you got questions or concerns. We have a blast at our event hikes.

John B
05-04-2009, 09:08
Doesn't part of the money that you raise go to pay for your trip? For example, if I wanted to sign up with TNT for the Chicago Marathon, wouldn't I be assigned a set minimum amount to raise and wouldn't part of that money go to pay for my travel, hotel, and entry fee to the Chicago?

truthisnature
05-04-2009, 09:13
Yes, every event has a set minimum fundraising goal. TNT pays for your entry in the event, your transportation and hotel stay as well as dinner the night before your event and a victory party after the event. You also get the awesome TNT shirts to show your spirit during the event. A great way to get into some events that are sold out to the public.

John B
05-04-2009, 09:27
Not to belabor the issue, but that's exactly the rub -- why should I donate money if part of it (30-40%?) goes for an individual's air fare, hotel, entry fee, and of course, a nice tee shirt? Wouldn't it make more sense for a donor who wanted their money to go to leukemia research to give it directly to a research lab or university doing the research? Wouldn't that give the donor's money more bang for the buck, so to speak?

Three years ago the TNT group in my city was training for the San Diego Marathon. I donated money to one lady, never realizing until it was too late that over 30% of the money she raised went to her expenses -- round trip airfare from Louisville, KY to San Diego, hotel, etc. Personally I didn't like my money going to pay for her vacation.

Nothing against TNT, but I think that disclosing this information to donors beforehand would be the ethical thing to do.

truthisnature
05-04-2009, 10:23
75% of all donations goes directly to advancing the LLS's mission of fighting blood cancers. This isn't a vacation it is Blood cancer awareness. And consider the fact that participants also pay a registration fee to join...this goes into their total amount of funds raised so therefore, we are putting our own money into the events.
I do this because my family was affected by blood cancers and I am eternally grateful to all those who raised funds in the past so that my brother could get the treatments today that saved his life.
God Forbid, but if the day should arise that you or a loved one needs the life saving research done by the LLS, you will be thankful that we have spent our days doing what we do.