PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Hard Time Hollow?

earplug94
05-01-2009, 09:43
Is Rusty still out there?

Earplug94

Chaco Taco
05-01-2009, 09:46
He is listed in the book although last year he was only taking in "friends"

Lone Wolf
05-01-2009, 10:27

Earplug94

his place is not at all reliable. continue on to waynesboro

Whup Whup
06-20-2009, 11:10
I stayed @ Rusty's this year for 4 days. It was an awesome place. And don't believe what the Companion might say (or any other book) that he requires a $20 donation up front. There are two donation boxes (one in the kitchen and one in the bunkhouse). Nothing is required up front and there is no minimum. The donation system is run just like any other donation system at a hostel. If you want a good description of Rusty's from one of the books, get it from the Handbook by "501."

Nean
06-20-2009, 11:26
I stayed @ Rusty's this year for 4 days. It was an awesome place. And don't believe what the Companion might say (or any other book) that he requires a $20 donation up front. There are two donation boxes (one in the kitchen and one in the bunkhouse). Nothing is required up front and there is no minimum. The donation system is run just like any other donation system at a hostel. If you want a good description of Rusty's from one of the books, get it from the Handbook by "501."

Why would the Companion (or any other book) lie? He has been playing that con for a long time. BTW, How much did you donate for - did you say 4 days- were you hurt?

saimyoji
06-20-2009, 13:14
Why would the Companion (or any other book) lie? He has been playing that con for a long time. BTW, How much did you donate for - did you say 4 days- were you hurt?

why would someone get hurt at rusty's?

Red Hat
06-20-2009, 16:01
Lots of people stay at Rustys for 2,3, 4 or more days without being hurt. When I was there, there were several younguns who had been there a week. Pirate (yes, the same Pirate from Neel Gap) had been there even longer. It's a place to rest, relax and just get away from the trail for a while. I don't think he expects those who stay more than one night to give $20 a night, but he does expect $20 a person, especially if he's buying hot dogs, sodas, and ice cream for everyone.

Nean
06-20-2009, 17:33
why would someone get hurt at rusty's?

Why ask why?:rolleyes:

saimyoji
06-20-2009, 17:51
Why ask why?:rolleyes:

you better start makin sense boy, or i'll sic warrgy on your ass :D:D

Nean
06-20-2009, 18:23
you better start makin sense boy, or i'll sic warrgy on your ass :D:D

No such thing as a warrgy- pure rumor, no?:confused:

Whup Whup
07-31-2009, 17:30

I don't know why they'd lie. All I know is that their descriptions of his "required $20 donation" were false when I was there. I'm sorry that you think Rusty is trying to con people. I consider him to be one of the greatest people I've ever known. I was not hurt. I was simply enjoying spending time relaxing at Rusty's and hanging out with him and Pirate. I donated as much as I could afford. Personally, I don't think I donated enough, but I couldn't afford to give more on my budget. I will be visiting Rusty's again soon.

weary
07-31-2009, 18:05
Rusty's was a great place in 1993. Nothing I've heard since has changed that perception. I donated 20 bucks for my three night stay in 1993 -- and then added a bit more because I sensed that some were not as generous.

Hikers I had seen spending $70 on a night at a motel and partying, seemed to think that a couple of bucks would be okay at a donation only hostel. I wasn't exactly wealthy then -- and less so now, what with inflation and a mostly fixed 1991 income.

Rusty loves hikers. He from time to time closes his hostel, I suspect because it doesn't break even -- and I sense that he may be even poorer than me. As I remember in '93 he said he worked winters for the park service doing manual work. Like me, Rusty owns a moderately valuable propery. But that is not something one can spend. Mine will eventually go to my kids -- now adults. I don't have clue about what Rusty plans to do.

But he seems to keep tolerating the free loaders and appreciates those that contribute enough to keep the place alive.

Weary

saimyoji
07-31-2009, 18:08
Rusty loves hikers.

thats what i hear a lot too.

Red Hat
07-31-2009, 20:04
You know, I ignored your first sarcastic post about Rusty, but enough is enough. If you know something specific, say it; if not, stop flaming the guy. I heard some people say some malicious things about him, but every time I've been there, he's been great, and everything fine. No one is forced to stay there. So if you don't like him, stay away. But stop hinting that he is some kind of pervert, because he isn't!

Ol Mole
07-31-2009, 20:06

Earplug94

I picked up Rusty's card the other week at the local (Roanoke) backpacker store which reads:

"RUSTY'S HARD TIME HOLLOW"
"Over 12,000 hikers since 1982!

The Hollow welcomes all the hikers who aren't in a hurry, and enjoy takin' time to visit and hang out at the last of the first hostels, along the trail. Welcome: Section hikers, weekenders, hitch-hiken thru hikers. Stay is limited to one week. No shuttles available, except on weekends maybe. A great place to kick back and forget about hiking. No B.S.A. Rides back to the trailhead when you're ready. Donations Appreciated.

16.7 BRP Heb 13.2
All hikers welcome.....Everyone is a Purist
"No illegal Drugs"

I met Rusty many years ago as he was in the process of acting as a trail angel. I have been to the hollow and enjoyed his fellowship.

The Weasel
07-31-2009, 20:48
"It don't matter."

--- Rusty (the other one, not The Weasel)

TW

Lone Wolf
07-31-2009, 21:13
thats what i hear a lot too.

yeah right :rolleyes: i know different but i ain't goin' there. caveat emptor

saimyoji
07-31-2009, 22:14
yeah right :rolleyes: i know different but i ain't goin' there. caveat emptor

you mean to say he doesn't like hikers?

Nean
07-31-2009, 22:15
You know, I ignored your first sarcastic post about Rusty, but enough is enough. If you know something specific, say it; if not, stop flaming the guy. I heard some people say some malicious things about him, but every time I've been there, he's been great, and everything fine. No one is forced to stay there. So if you don't like him, stay away. But stop hinting that he is some kind of pervert, because he isn't!

How many times have you been there?:confused: Maybe you should read some of my PMs.:eek: Maybe you have not been involved in the community for 20+ years. I know you haven't been there when I was (at least a dozen times) or spoke with the people I have (too many). Maybe you only know what you know- which can't be everything. :-? Older hikers here speak out for A REASON. Just because you personally don't have one (you wouldn't) doesn't make everyone else wrong. I'm sure he was nice to you and most of the hikers who have been there- doesn't mean he can't have issues.;) I'll never go back and recommend the same as LW.:)

CrumbSnatcher
07-31-2009, 22:54
IMO, i vote keep on truckin' to waynesboro.

gravy4601
07-31-2009, 22:59
is that the hostil outside of davenport

hobojoe
08-20-2009, 21:59
Rusty's hard time hollow is an incredibly important experience on the trail. He is a good friend of mine and I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't take themselves way too seriously.
After all it's just a walk.

Jack Tarlin
08-21-2009, 14:05
"Incredibly important experience?"

I dunno, that seems a bit over the top. It's pretty clear that some folks really enjoy the place and some prefer to go on to Waynesboro.

Which is how it shoud be.

But an incredibly important experience?

Geez, not so sure about that.

weary
08-22-2009, 12:58

I dunno, that seems a bit over the top. It's pretty clear that some folks really enjoy the place and some prefer to go on to Waynesboro.

I found it an incredibly important experience. It's the only hostel that remains vivid in my memories. The others were simply places to shower and sleep. Only Rusty's had communal cooking on a wood-fired stove, kerosene lamps, a natural spring for cooling beer and watermelon, and a touch football game between the skins and the pants.

Weary

Jester2000
08-22-2009, 13:07

When I was passing through the area in 2000, I was passed by a hiker who insisted that I HAD to go to Rusty's, that I wouldn't have really thru-hiked if I didn't go, that Rusty's was an experience of a lifetime, that I had no idea what I'd be missing.

I still have no idea, because I hiked on to Waynesboro. I still managed to have a pretty good experience, though.

Rain Man
08-22-2009, 14:40
is that the hostil outside of davenport

If you mean Davenport Gap, and just north of the GSMNP, then you are thinking of Standing Bear Farm. A great place.
Standing Bear Farm hostel (http://standingbearfarm.tripod.com/)

Rain:sunMan

Rain Man
08-22-2009, 14:41
I still have no idea, because I hiked on to Waynesboro. I still managed to have a pretty good experience, though.

Same here, this June.

Rain:sunMan

summermike
08-22-2009, 15:17
I took a photo of the sign posted on the tree on the road to his place. It says:

"Effective Jan. 2008, an upfront donation of $20.00 each per night is appreciated 'Rusty' Additional Donations Accepted."

When I talked to him about it last summer he said most (his word) hikers skip out without paying for anything now and it's making it nearly impossible for him to keep the hostel open, thus the sign.

weary
08-22-2009, 17:05
....he said most (his word) hikers skip out without paying for anything now and it's making it nearly impossible for him to keep the hostel open, thus the sign.
Freeloaders have been a problem for hostels for years. When I stayed at Rusty's in 1993 I sensed that only a third of the folks who were there over a long holiday weekend were contributing any significant amounts.

Though I'm not wealthy and was hiking on a tight budget, I popped a couple of extra 20s into the donation jar because Rusty clearly is not a wealthy person and was providing a genuine service to a lot of hikers.

Anyway, these days its mostly organizations such as churches with a special charitable and sometimes religious mission that can afford a donation only hostel.

Weary

saimyoji
08-22-2009, 17:09
I found it an incredibly important experience. It's the only hostel that remains vivid in my memories. The others were simply places to shower and sleep. Only Rusty's had communal cooking on a wood-fired stove, kerosene lamps, a natural spring for cooling beer and watermelon, and a touch football game between the skins and the pants.

Weary

i think this may be the "experience" that some are talking about...

BTW, did you punt or receive? :rolleyes:

summermike
08-22-2009, 22:44
Freeloaders have been a problem for hostels for years.

He said there's been a tremendous change in the past five years.

TOW
08-22-2009, 23:14
I bet Rusty's would be a great experience........