PDA

View Full Version : whites

phillycheze
05-01-2009, 11:33
i just read in my app. pages that huts in the whites are 84 bucks.
REALLY?

Chaco Taco
05-01-2009, 11:34
Tell them you are a thru and they will let you do work for stay and you can crash in the dining room area.

Tin Man
05-01-2009, 11:38
for the price you get to share a bunk room with farty, snory, know-it-all, spoilt, selfish folks and get less than filling meals

hammock engineer
05-01-2009, 11:40
Yep, show up at 5 or 6 when you do this. If it's earlier they tend to tell you to move on to the next one. They don't know if people are going to roll in late. Everyone was talking good or bad about the huts when I went southbound. Some northbounders hated them, others didn't.

I was a hut **** and lived it up. A little amount of work (get the thru hiker talk if you can I never did) for a meal and a place to stay. A lot of times the people staying there would offer up their extra snacks. And if you can check the lost and found. Makes a good hiker box if you need some extra clothes or a water bottle.

wakapak
05-01-2009, 11:41
REALLY?

Yes they are. They are there for all hikers, not just thru-hikers, and they provide a bunk, wool blanket, dinner and breakfast. As Chaco said, if you want to stay at them on your Thru, tell them you are a thru-hiker and you're interested in work-for-stay. usually if you get there around 3pm you can get a spot, they dont take work-for-stays too early in the day though, just an fyi.

hammock engineer
05-01-2009, 11:42
I forgot to add I slept on the porch at Zealand falls, a good idea. I also heard you could sleep in the ski lift building at wildcat after everyone left. I took that you are not supposed to, but they leave it unlocked and don't stop people.

The huts depend on the people working there. At Zeland they threw more food at the two of us than we could eat. At Carter Notch they had not enough for 2.

Tin Man
05-01-2009, 11:42
you get dinner too, but bring your own anyway, they only give snack-size portions

wakapak
05-01-2009, 11:45
you get dinner too, but bring your own anyway, they only give snack-size portions

thats cause they arent truly feeding the thru-hiker appetite since most that are staying aren't thru-hikers.
as others have mentioned, it all depends on the croo working there...

Tin Man
05-01-2009, 11:46
thats cause they arent truly feeding the thru-hiker appetite since most that are staying aren't thru-hikers.
as others have mentioned, it all depends on the croo working there...

i was section hiking and at home i normally eat more than they served at lakes

bishopj
05-01-2009, 12:15
That one part of the trail i have hike to me the huts are not worth the money.
I have hike many of the side trail to the trail are not mark well at all
you do need to know how to use a compass and map. They talk about how not to
go off trail but ever time i hike their i seen many day hikers just gone any where they please. More then once i point out the signs that told them to stay on trail also told the huts about them did see anyone do any thing about it. I konw it not cheap to
work on these trail area but how much will a gal of paint and a paint bush cost.

Old Hillwalker
05-01-2009, 13:04
REALLY?

Full season (summer) Saturday is $112 for non-members of AMC Other days $94 (2009 prices from the AMC website)

There are ways across the Whites that don't involve staying at the Appalachian Money Collectors facilities.

phillycheze
05-01-2009, 15:11
Full season (summer) Saturday is $112 for non-members of AMC Other days $94 (2009 prices from the AMC website)

There are ways across the Whites that don't involve staying at the Appalachian Money Collectors facilities.

any advice on how to plan this route and not stop at the huts? stealth camp?

also, i was reading and the app. pages said that new hammy asks that u not do the work for stay at more than two huts, and they only take two people for the position at a time. any truth to that?

Peaks
05-01-2009, 17:16
also, i was reading and the app. pages said that new hammy asks that u not do the work for stay at more than two huts, and they only take two people for the position at a time. any truth to that?

That's the party line, but it all depends on the crew's mood at the time. I've seen them accomodate much more than the minimum many times. And I've also seen them turn thru-hikers away once the minimum is reached, or if you arrive too early in the day.

Chaco Taco
05-01-2009, 17:19
any advice on how to plan this route and not stop at the huts? stealth camp?

Never stealth in the Whites esp on the Presidentials!!!!

Chaco Taco
05-01-2009, 17:20
Never stealth in the Whites esp on the Presidentials!!!!

There are signs all through the Whites about the lasting impact of camping on the rare vegitation that grows there. Only camp in designated area or around shelters.

rickb
05-01-2009, 19:35
Stealth camping is legal, approved and within the bounds of proper LNT ethics in most parts of the Whites. The notable exception is you are forbidden to camp above treeline in the summer, and within 1/4 mile of most man made facilities (roads, shelters, huts).

Camping in most every Wilderness areas is fine, but you have to walk 200' into the woods before setting up your tent and lighting a fire. When you are not in a Wilderness Area, there is no such restriction.

There is no need to use the AMC huts at all. The shelters with a resident caretaker can be used for convenience is you want, but they can be avoided too if you don't have the $8 or so. There is maybe one stretch of trail where using a formal tent site or two helps a bit with the logistics.

Tinker
05-02-2009, 00:20
In the Presidentials you can camp on the tent platforms near Mizpah hut, then a loooong day (maybe not so much for a thruhiker) will get you to the RMC's Perch camp, a little way off the AT, the next night you can go over Madison and stay at Dolly Copp campground or catch a ride into town from the AMC's Pinkham Notch Camp. No need to stay at the huts, but you might want to depending on what's going on in your hike at that time.

aaronthebugbuffet
05-02-2009, 00:35
I didn't stay at any of the huts or platforms when I hiked through the Whites.
It has been a while so I couldn't tell you where I specifically stayed without seeing maps. I'm not sure I would even remember if i had the maps.

The Mechanical Man
05-02-2009, 01:16
REALLY?

Just after that, Appalachian Pages also say, ......more on Sat., Less for AMC members.
As long as you can afford it, just plan to use some of your pre-hike $$ money to join the AMC, and don't forget to do some volunteer work on your way through too. Fold your blankets properly in the morning, and above all, "if it's yellow let it mellow, If it's brown flush it down.

It's really worth the discount to all the huts and other member benefits, when you join the AMC. The peace of mind of how you are going to get through the White Mtns on a thru-hike, is worth it, sure beats "Beg For Stay". ;)

Datto
05-02-2009, 01:52
Just wanted to mention staying at The Dungeon at the Lakes of the Clouds hut for an unusual hiking experience (if The Dungeon is still available). The Dungeon is beneath the Lakes of the Clouds hut and had been used as a place hikers could get of a storm during inclement weather.

Aptly named -- and memorable.

On my Year 2000 northbound thru-hike I stayed with Raru and Sisu overnight in The Dungeon for $6.00 per person per night. At the time there were 5-6 bunks. Loud as all get-out all night -- the wind howled all night but I wear earplugs so it didn't bother me. The door was 1/2 inch plate steel and I can certainly see why it's like that.

During the day a thru-hiker could go up from The Dungeon to mingle with the normal folks (but no food). Incredible that I had enough brainpower to win the Trivial Pursuit game upstairs with the other hikers (I won on a financial question about Lou Dobbs) and I was annoited, "Datto His Royal Badness".

That day was a continuation of the huge storm that had started the previous night and I stayed the night again in The Dungeon again -- alone since no one else thought the accommodations were adequate in The Dungeon. The next day after that I'd thought, "we'll how bad can it be to hike 7.5 miles down to Madison Hut." Wind was peaking at 72mph, wind chill was minus 19*F. Sisu had said, "I've got a very bad feeling about this" when Raru, Chief and I had decided to hike on out.

Ha. The overconfidence a thru-hiker acquires on the AT. Raru's beard was a packed white iced-over mess by the time Raru and I had got to the Mt. Washington top. I was wearing every stitch of clothing I was carrying in my pack (including two pairs of gloves and two balaclavas) and in the 1.25 mile hike from Lakes of the Clouds hut to the top of Mt. Washington, I froze my begonias off and several times was blown all over and down on my knees in the wind.

At the top, Chief had tried to take a photo of he and I celebrating with some airplane bottles of Bacardi on the pile of rocks designating the actual peak of Mt Washington. But the ranging wind blew he and I over onto the ground so many times we finally gave up (my camera had frozen solid anyhow). In the summit building, many dayhikers (must have been at least two dozen) in cotten T-shirts were sitting on the floor leaning up against a wall, completely incoherent. The rangers there had gone out and had rescued them -- some of the day hikers had brought dogs along and when they'd hiked up the mountain from the other side. One day hiker had tried to convince the rangers to go out and help him find his dog -- I think the rangers knew there wasn't going to be any hope for the dog. The day hiker guy could not get two words to come out to explain what he'd wanted when he'd come up to the ranger counter -- completely incomprehensible. I finally talked to him and deciphered enough to figure out that he'd wanted his dog rescued too and passed that information on to the rangers.

Anyhow, The Dungeon was certainly an experience to remember.

Datto

Tin Man
05-02-2009, 05:28
Stealth camping is legal, approved and within the bounds of proper LNT ethics in most parts of the Whites. The notable exception is you are forbidden to camp above treeline in the summer, and within 1/4 mile of most man made facilities (roads, shelters, huts).

Camping in most every Wilderness areas is fine, but you have to walk 200' into the woods before setting up your tent and lighting a fire. When you are not in a Wilderness Area, there is no such restriction.

when i sectioned thru there last year, the caretakers were giving a different story per their bosses. one cool guy told me where to stealth though. :)

The Old Fhart
05-02-2009, 06:45
RickB-"Stealth camping is legal, approved and within the bounds of proper LNT ethics in most parts of the Whites. The notable exception is you are forbidden to camp above treeline in the summer, and within 1/4 mile of most man made facilities (roads, shelters, huts).

Camping in most every Wilderness areas is fine, but you have to walk 200' into the woods before setting up your tent and lighting a fire. When you are not in a Wilderness Area, there is no such restriction...."The above is NOT correct at all. If you're planning on camping in the Whites, get the facts.

Along with standard leave-no-trace guidelines, the USFS regularly issues rules regarding where and how you can camp in the White Mountain National Forest. Some standard restrictions to keep in mind when visiting the Forest are:
* Above treeline (areas where the trees are less than 8 feet in height), camping is allowed only when there is at least two feet of snow on the ground.
* In the Great Gulf Wilderness, all camping must be below treeline, and 200 feet off the trail OR in one of the designated sites along the trail. No camping is permitted beyond the junction of the Sphinx and Great Gulf Trails in the direction of Spaulding Lake.
* In the Cutler River Drainage, which includes Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines, camping is allowed only at the Hermit Lake Shelters.
* No camping, wood fires, or charcoal fires within < mile of any hut, shelter, tent platform, cabin, picnic area, or campground.
* No camping, wood fires, or charcoal fires in any Wilderness Area.
* Hiking and camping group size in Wilderness Areas must be no larger than 10 people.
* No mechanized or mechanical equipment in any Wilderness Area.

Several other heavily used area trails also have restrictions on camping and fires. Camping and fires are not permitted within 200' of the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail or within 1/4 mile of Route 16, AMC and RMC facilities, Glen Ellis Falls, Pinkham Notch Visitor Center, and Dolly Copp Campground.

Other restrictions may also be in effect in specific locations throughout the Forest. Check with the Forest service before you go to see what restrictions may apply to your destination.

The Forest is one of the most heavily visited in the country because of its proximity to many major northeastern population centers. The primary function of these rules is to protect the land from overuse and abuse; without them, the wild character of the Forest risks being lost. Please respect the land and your fellow visitors to ensure that the Forest remains as you found it.

Lone Wolf
05-02-2009, 06:53
thru-hikers should not get special treatment. pay full price like everyone else or find an alternative.

rickb
05-02-2009, 07:08
The above is NOT correct at all. If you're planning on camping in the Whites, get the facts.

What I wrote is 100% correct, and most of what I wrote is in fact supported by your quote. A thru hiker need not memorize the minutia of the WMNF regulations, much of which applies to specific areas far from the AT. If he considers my summary, when electing to stealth camp, he will be just fine with the regulations.

Here is the link to the actual regulations. Please take note that the first part of the page is a discussion of LNT ethics, and not the regulations themselves. LNT ethics are a bit stricter about camping near bodies of water, etc.

Anyway here it is:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/camping/backcountry_rules_2008-09.pdf

The critical area where your information differs from mine is your incorrect assertion that there is to be

"No camping, wood fires, or charcoal fires in any Wilderness Area."

That is simply wrong.

Get the facts. Then understand them.

There are special fire restriction in the Great Gulf Wilderness, of course. That is why I took great pains to say you are permitted to camp and build fires in MOST every wilderness areas. When camping in a wildenrness area, thru hikers should go 200' off the trail to stealth like I mentioned.

Suggesting that one should not camp in any White Mountain Wilderness Area is crazy. Why would you be suggesting that?

I do give you credit for sharing the definition of tree line. Some people might not know that it means where trees are less than 8 feet tall.

Homer&Marje
05-02-2009, 07:59
I believe the regs state 200' from trail and or body of water will allow camping and fires in a "lot" of the Whites, not all. Wilderness protection zones are clearly marked in a circle from the center point of that zone and camping and fires are not permitted within 1/4 mile of that zone??? So you can still stealth....weather it's worth it to walk over all those spongy rocks is up to you.

I know the Alpine restrictions. :D

celt
05-02-2009, 10:44
Rickb's link to the USFS's Backcountry Camping Rules for the WMNF is the essential pamphlet for understanding the overnighting alternatives to AMC & RMC facilities in the Whites. Its all you need to know. I'll post it again:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/camping/backcountry_rules_2008-09.pdf

www.wilderness.net is my favorite source for Wilderness-Specific regulations. Regulations vary from area to area so its important to research each area you plan to visit.

But the truth is the A.T. in NH only pass through one Wilderness Area, The Great Gulf, and for only 4.5 miles. Not that understanding the regs of other Wilderness areas in NH wouldn't be prudent. The trail does follow just outside (about 60ft) the boundries of the Pemigewassett, Presidental-Range Dry River and Wild River Wildernesses.

JAK
05-02-2009, 10:45
What type of food do they serve? Just curious. I'm guess it is not all that different than hiker food as it still has to get humped in I would imagine. Baked beans would be nice though.

celt
05-02-2009, 11:03
I believe the regs state 200' from trail and or body of water will allow camping and fires in a "lot" of the Whites, not all. Wilderness protection zones are clearly marked in a circle from the center point of that zone and camping and fires are not permitted within 1/4 mile of that zone??? So you can still stealth....weather it's worth it to walk over all those spongy rocks is up to you.

I know the Alpine restrictions. :D

H & M' post is a picture of a typical sign posted where a trail goes above treeline ("Alpine Zone") where USFS regulation prohibited except when there is two feet of snow on the ground.

The "Wilderness Protection Zones" referenced are marked by a different 8.5" x 11" sign, they're actually called Forest Protection Areas (FPA), and are a quarter mile radius zone around Shelters and Huts (and miscellaneous places the USFS wants camping restricted) where camping is prohibited except at the established site.

celt
05-02-2009, 11:13
What type of food do they serve? Just curious. I'm guessing it is not all that different than hiker food as it still has to get humped in I would imagine. Baked beans would be nice though.

I think its different than typical hiker food and I like it. I'd call it hearty family style meals, I'm sure others will describe it better. Usually each dinner includes a salad, a meat course, a side and a dessert. Breakfasts usually include real oatmeal with fruit and sugars for mixing but pancakes and French toast are frequently included. Home made breads, soups and desserts are served almost every day. Some of the AMC croo memebers are really good cooks, of course some fall on the other end of the spectrum but I've never not enjoyed a Hut meal.

Fresh items ordered from the AMC storehouse are hiked in twice a week by the croos but many non perishable items are flown in pre-season so many ingredients are always on hand.

Tmindy
05-02-2009, 11:18
I am new to the AT. I have some simple questions I hope someone will help me with.

1. I am coming to NC on June 1, I want to do a 2-3 night hike. starting at the begining of the trail. Spring Mountain. I need some suggestions of where to start and end, we have family dropping us off and picking us up. I will have my k9 with me as well. How many miles should I plan for each day?

2. I am bringing a tent, when i find a suitable location to tent, can i do it anywhere?

3. in June will I run into alot of people?

Homer&Marje
05-02-2009, 11:28
H & M' post is a picture of a typical sign posted where a trail goes above treeline ("Alpine Zone") where USFS regulation prohibited except when there is two feet of snow on the ground.

The "Wilderness Protection Zones" referenced are marked by a different 8.5" x 11" sign, they're actually called Forest Protection Areas (FPA), and are a quarter mile radius zone around Shelters and Huts (and miscellaneous places the USFS wants camping restricted) where camping is prohibited except at the established site.

Thought I clearly inferred that there is a difference. If I had a picture of the Wilderness protection sign I would post it...but I dont....But I do clearly remember the Alpine restrictions....because I have a picture of the sign:D

Bearpaw
05-02-2009, 11:47
I am new to the AT. I have some simple questions I hope someone will help me with.

1. I am coming to NC on June 1, I want to do a 2-3 night hike. starting at the begining of the trail. Spring Mountain. I need some suggestions of where to start and end, we have family dropping us off and picking us up. I will have my k9 with me as well. How many miles should I plan for each day? Sorry, I can't offer you good info on hiking with dogs. Try posting this question in the Hiking with dogs part of the forums here.

2. I am bringing a tent, when i find a suitable location to tent, can i do it anywhere? In Georgia, there aren't many legal restrictions on where to camp. Generally try to get away fom right next to the trail and water sources (LNT says 200 feet).

3. in June will I run into alot of people? You'll run into a decent number of folks, but nothing compared to the big crowds that start at Springer in March, April, and early May.

JAK
05-02-2009, 11:59
Thanks for that celt.
I think I'll try and see if I can get up to a hut in the Whites this year.

What is the price for kids? Never mind. Got it.
http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodging-rates.cfm

The Old Fhart
05-02-2009, 16:58
RickB-"Suggesting that one should not camp in any White Mountain Wilderness Area is crazy. Why would you be suggesting that?"I never suggested that and what I posted was copied verbatim so although most people would have no problem with the syntax, you misread, or misrepresented what was said. The statement : No camping, wood fires, or charcoal fires in any Wilderness Area may not be the best wording but it means "No camping OR wood fires, and no charcoal fires in any Wilderness Area"

What you stated in post #16 was:
"Camping in most every Wilderness areas is fine, but you have to walk 200' into the woods before setting up your tent and lighting a fire. When you are not in a Wilderness Area, there is no such restriction...."What part of your being 100% correct does that incorrect statement fall under?:-?

rickb
05-02-2009, 17:03
I never suggested that and what I posted was copied verbatim so although most people would have no problem with the syntax, you misread, or misrepresented what was said. The statement : No camping, wood fires, or charcoal fires in any Wilderness Area may not be the best wording but it means "No camping OR wood fires, and no charcoal fires in any Wilderness Area"

What you stated in post #16 was:What part of your being 100% correct does that incorrect statement fall under?:-?

You have the choice to believe what I say, or what was in written in GORP, or another place that is mistaken.

I am correct.

The source you copied that from is wrong.

I can only hope you don't pass that incorrect information on to many other people, especially those you meet in the backcountry.

Both camping and fires are allowed in most Wilderness Areas in the WMNF.

The Old Fhart
05-02-2009, 17:22
RickB-"I am correct."
RickB-""Camping in most every Wilderness areas is fine, but you have to walk 200' into the woods before setting up your tent and lighting a fire."
RickB's own reference-"No wood or charcoal fires at any location"(referring to Wilderness Areas)
So are you right when you say you can light fires in Wilderness Area or when your own referance says you can't? The regulations I have quoted clearly said no fires in Wilderness areas and that is exactly what the regulations you quotes also say. Oh, and I have legally camped in Wilderness Areas.

Can fires be both legal and illegal in Wilderness Areas, except in your own world?:D

rickb
05-02-2009, 21:17
Fire are not allowed in the Great Gulf Wilderness area.

They are allowed in other Wilderness Areas within the Whites.

Tin Man
05-02-2009, 21:41
people, people, who was there recently, besides me? the amc has published regs and they have this years' marching orders... which i will repeat... the campsite caretakers are told to tell folks that camping is only allowed at the amc campsites! not all of them agree with that bs and if you are cool, they will tell you where to stealth camp AND if you are cool, you will do so discretely. pretty simple

Pokey2006
05-02-2009, 23:49
people, people, who was there recently, besides me? the amc has published regs and they have this years' marching orders... which i will repeat... the campsite caretakers are told to tell folks that camping is only allowed at the amc campsites! not all of them agree with that bs and if you are cool, they will tell you where to stealth camp AND if you are cool, you will do so discretely. pretty simple

Of course they're told to tell people that! But that doesn't mean it's wrong or illegal to camp in some of those "stealth spots." There are perfectly legal spots, and good ones, just outside the 1/4 mile perimeter of some of the huts along the AT. But of course the AMC people don't want YOU to know that...

Tinker
05-03-2009, 00:08
Of course they're told to tell people that! But that doesn't mean it's wrong or illegal to camp in some of those "stealth spots." There are perfectly legal spots, and good ones, just outside the 1/4 mile perimeter of some of the huts along the AT. But of course the AMC people don't want YOU to know that...

If you don't stay at the AMC "pay to stay" tentsites, they might not be able to afford to serve the city softies their trout for dinner at the overcrowded huts ;):-?.

Tin Man
05-03-2009, 06:26

exactly, but i found it interesting that one caretaker made it her job to go around and scatter campfire rings at known stealth sites every week ... and get all uppity about it

Blue Jay
05-03-2009, 09:12
for the price you get to share a bunk room with farty, snory, know-it-all, spoilt, selfish folks and get less than filling meals

This can be true on occasion, however I've found more often than not, thrus are treated extemely well. Once a Croo member gave me a beer. Also some of the folks you describe have given me food and places to stay further along the trail. I am no big fan of the AMC, however they are there, will remain there and you have to make the best of it.

Tin Man
05-03-2009, 09:59
i make the best of it by skipping that scene next time i'm in the area :)

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 10:01
i make the best of it by skipping that scene next time i'm in the area :)
And the concept that there are no stealth spots is an absolute myth. . . ;)

Pootz
05-03-2009, 10:16

The Whites are some of the best miles in the AT. Dont worry about the huts. If you want to stay there and do not want to pay do work for stay. If not there are plenty of other places to stay below tree line. Some of the huts are in places you would not want to camp anyway(above tree line). Most of the others others have camping nearby.

I Paid to stay at 3 huts during my thru hike, the food was good and I got plenty to eat. People that did work for stay usually gor lots to eat. They provide a great service in the whites. Remember the kids working there carry the food in for paying customers.

For the most part the trail is free, including the 3 huts, my ATC membership and a few campgrounds it cost me less than $500.00. That includes access to 200 shelters and 2175 milers of maintained trail.

Pretty cheap for 6 months of the most fun I have ever had.

Enjoy your hike

ryan207
05-03-2009, 10:51
Originally Posted by Tin Man

Tin Man, where are you getting your information? I was the caretaker at Imp Shelter last year and no one ever told me not to tell people that camping is only allowed at the AMC campsites. The reason caretakers are out there, besides to compost and maintain trail, is to try to help people understand and follow Leave No Trace ethics. A lot of the time that turns into protecting the forest from people who don't understand or can't or won't practice LNT. A lot of people came down to Imp asking where they could camp. A handful of them seemed respectful of the environment- believe me, you can tell- and I made sure they knew how to stealth and sent them on their way. 9 times out of 10, though, I made the call to say there weren't any spots near the campsite because I knew that whatever spot they found would be ripped up and trashed. So it's a judgement call we make based on how well we think people will treat the forest, not based on wanting to collect a whopping $8.

Also, I'm curious: what are you doing when you go into the huts? I have my own issues with the croos, but unless you're incredibly rude and disrespectful, they'll feed you until you can't eat anymore. I thru-hiked in '07 and stayed at 3 huts- one of the croos wasn't exactly friendly, but I was never hungry. I was also up at Nauman (next to Mizpah Hut) for the end of the caretaker season last year and never saw a thru-hiker leave unsatisfied.

If you don't stay at the AMC "pay to stay" tentsites, they might not be able to afford to serve the city softies their trout for dinner at the overcrowded huts ;):-?.

Tinker, just to clarify: it's the other way around. The Backcountry Campsites division of the AMC operates at greater than a 50% deficit. The $8 fee we collect offsets a small part of the cost of maintaining the trails and campsites and especially the privy- but the rest of budget comes from the money the huts get from city softies.

aframe
05-03-2009, 10:53
Oops, sorry everyone. I wrote the post above, not Ryan207.

Bearpaw
05-03-2009, 11:16
The Whites are like most places on the trail. Go in with a good attitude, and most of the time you'll receive the same. I stealthed three nights along the way, in legal places, and stayed at the Dungeon at Lake of the Clouds.

That particular night at Lake of the Clouds, there was severe weather and the croo there offered a spot to sleep for about a dozen thru-hikers so they could get out of the mess.

I stopped by a number of other huts to look at registers and see the layout, and wound up being offerred leftovers of bread and soup and salad for a buck or two on a couple of occasions. The croos were cool.

When I took a skid and ripped my knee open coming down Kinsman, the caretaker at the next campsite gave me a chance to sit and chill for a bit and gave me a new ace bandage to hold on my dressing when mine,which had lost one of the two clasps, kept sliding loose.

Despite the crowds, the Whites were very cool to me, both in views and people.

Homer&Marje
05-03-2009, 13:09
The Whites are like most places on the trail. Go in with a good attitude, and most of the time you'll receive the same. I stealthed three nights along the way, in legal places, and stayed at the Dungeon at Lake of the Clouds.

That particular night at Lake of the Clouds, there was severe weather and the croo there offered a spot to sleep for about a dozen thru-hikers so they could get out of the mess.

I stopped by a number of other huts to look at registers and see the layout, and wound up being offerred leftovers of bread and soup and salad for a buck or two on a couple of occasions. The croos were cool.

When I took a skid and ripped my knee open coming down Kinsman, the caretaker at the next campsite gave me a chance to sit and chill for a bit and gave me a new ace bandage to hold on my dressing when mine,which had lost one of the two clasps, kept sliding loose.

Despite the crowds, the Whites were very cool to me, both in views and people.

Yea...people are whining too much about where they want to sleep and where they don't want other people too sleep.

Forgetting completely the fact, that no matter where your "camp" is...your in the White Mountains, one of the most spectacular places in the Appalachians. Leave the camp site guarding and regs to the rangers and the AMC to enforce. If your in an "illegal" camp site...practice LNT to the fullest extent so that the spot will be there for you next year and the year after.

DavidNH
05-03-2009, 13:15
REALLY?

I believe on Saurday nights they are closer to 90 dollars.

This does include breakfast and dinner and contrary to at least one poster meals are very filling.

Yes AT thru hikers can stay free by doing some chores, it is important that they arrive late afternoon for a mid day arrival won't be welcomed for a work for stay.

David

phillycheze
05-03-2009, 17:45
i did some checking:
$85 for a member
$94 for non member

membership is $40

worth it? just in case?
and what about the AMC campsites? are they any good?

If your in an "illegal" camp site...practice LNT to the fullest extent so that the spot will be there for you next year and the year after.

and what do yall mean by 'stealth?' i thought it meant finding a place to sleep in the woods, once; not an actual site...

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 17:50
Also, I'm curious: what are you doing when you go into the huts? I have my own issues with the croos, but unless you're incredibly rude and disrespectful, they'll feed you until you can't eat anymore. I thru-hiked in '07 and stayed at 3 huts- one of the croos wasn't exactly friendly, but I was never hungry. I was also up at Nauman (next to Mizpah Hut) for the end of the caretaker season last year and never saw a thru-hiker leave unsatisfied.

The dude know's what he's talkin about. . .

Oops, sorry everyone. I wrote the post above, not Ryan207.

And by dude I mean chick. . . . great girl at that. . . . :sun:sun

and what do yall mean by 'stealth?' i thought it meant finding a place to sleep in the woods, once; not an actual site...

Correct. . . and there are plenty of places to cam respectfully. . . . . :)

Chaco Taco
05-03-2009, 18:15
I agree that there are lots of spots to camp but respect the signs that say, "DONT CAMP HERE"

Homer&Marje
05-03-2009, 18:16
i did some checking:
$85 for a member
$94 for non member

membership is $40

worth it? just in case?
and what about the AMC campsites? are they any good?

That's exactly what a stealth site is. But some people with a sense of direction and determination can remember the sites they have used before.

I know within a few hundred yards many places I've camped in the white mountains. As well as many other places. So....leave it pristine...for yourself. Couldn't think of anyone better to do it for.:D

Stealth sites like this. Wake up to mornings like that.

Pokey2006
05-03-2009, 18:24
exactly, but i found it interesting that one caretaker made it her job to go around and scatter campfire rings at known stealth sites every week ... and get all uppity about it

In high use areas, I agree with this practice. Some people see the campfire ring as an invitation to trash a place. Plus, it can be unsightly to see campsites every mile or so along an otherwise pristine wilderness trail.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean those spots were "illegal" campsites. Just that they don't want to encourage overuse. And I agree with that. Most thrus and serious hikers shouldn't need a campfire ring, anyway.

The only place where you have to plan ahead in the Whites is the section just before and after Washington, where it's above treeline. The rest of the way, there are plenty of spots that some consider stealth, but are really completely legal.

Tin Man
05-03-2009, 19:59
Originally Posted by Tin Man

Tin Man, where are you getting your information? I was the caretaker at Imp Shelter last year and no one ever told me not to tell people that camping is only allowed at the AMC campsites. The reason caretakers are out there, besides to compost and maintain trail, is to try to help people understand and follow Leave No Trace ethics. A lot of the time that turns into protecting the forest from people who don't understand or can't or won't practice LNT. A lot of people came down to Imp asking where they could camp. A handful of them seemed respectful of the environment- believe me, you can tell- and I made sure they knew how to stealth and sent them on their way. 9 times out of 10, though, I made the call to say there weren't any spots near the campsite because I knew that whatever spot they found would be ripped up and trashed. So it's a judgement call we make based on how well we think people will treat the forest, not based on wanting to collect a whopping $8.

Three caretakers at three different campsites told us their bosses said no stealthing. And none talked to us at all about LNT other than how to use the campsite. Only one guy seemed to think we were worthy to share great stealth site locations. We are always friendly and respectful of others and our surroundings. We have stealthed plenty leading up to the whites and actually found quite a few stealth sites in the whites, but opted to stay at the campsites most nights, partially out of respect for the AMC (my brother and I are members) and the wilderness. And we don't mind paying our way. Just sometimes it is nice to experience the wilderness at night, but I can also see that with the number of people coming through, it is probably better that most stay in the campsites.

We are about two of the nicest, friendliest hikers out there, never rude and offer praise and thanks for the jobs people are doing out there. We are mere section-hikers :rolleyes: and perhaps they treat thru's differently. We stayed at Nauman the last week of August last year. The caretaker there was nice and friendly to us (as all of them were). Were you caretaking or just helping there? Are you going to be at Imp this year? Maybe we will see you. :)

Anyway, we thoroughly enjoyed our hike from Franconia to Pinkham last year. The weather and scenery were awesome.

Tin Man
05-03-2009, 20:08
In high use areas, I agree with this practice. Some people see the campfire ring as an invitation to trash a place. Plus, it can be unsightly to see campsites every mile or so along an otherwise pristine wilderness trail.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean those spots were "illegal" campsites. Just that they don't want to encourage overuse. And I agree with that. Most thrus and serious hikers shouldn't need a campfire ring, anyway.

The only place where you have to plan ahead in the Whites is the section just before and after Washington, where it's above treeline. The rest of the way, there are plenty of spots that some consider stealth, but are really completely legal.

We did clean up some trash from a stealth site fire ring before we started our own fire. The next day we reported our activity and findings to the caretaker at the next site up the trail and she seemed a little put out about the fire ring, but thanked us for cleaning up the trash. Nice lady, tough job if it is to go around every week and disperse perfectly fine looking fire rings.

phillycheze
05-04-2009, 00:28
dosen't stealth = no fire?

Ramkitten
05-04-2009, 01:27
Just poppin' in to say, "Hey, Datto!" Good to run into you here.

Okay, sorry ... where were you?

Oh, the huts. I was a 2000 thru-hiker also, and I remember doing work for stay twice, once at Lakes of the Clouds. I also remember unnecessarily stressing about camping and huts in that section, although I'd hiked in the Whites many times while a student at UNH. But it turned out just fine and everything worked out. Being polite to the hut "croos" goes a long way--no guarantee, but helps--and there were shelters along the way too that I made use of. I believe there was a fee for those, but I don't think it was all that much. Of course, that was 9 years ago, so I don't know what may have changed.

Homer&Marje
05-04-2009, 05:30
dosen't stealth = no fire?

It should. I enjoy a fire as much as anyone....but in the Whites I rarely have a fire.

Thankfully the miles are hard most days and being tired overpowers the desire for a fire:D In the right situations I have a fire.

aframe
05-04-2009, 06:46
Three caretakers at three different campsites told us their bosses said no stealthing. And none talked to us at all about LNT other than how to use the campsite. Only one guy seemed to think we were worthy to share great stealth site locations. We are always friendly and respectful of others and our surroundings. We have stealthed plenty leading up to the whites and actually found quite a few stealth sites in the whites, but opted to stay at the campsites most nights, partially out of respect for the AMC (my brother and I are members) and the wilderness. And we don't mind paying our way. Just sometimes it is nice to experience the wilderness at night, but I can also see that with the number of people coming through, it is probably better that most stay in the campsites.

We are about two of the nicest, friendliest hikers out there, never rude and offer praise and thanks for the jobs people are doing out there. We are mere section-hikers :rolleyes: and perhaps they treat thru's differently. We stayed at Nauman the last week of August last year. The caretaker there was nice and friendly to us (as all of them were). Were you caretaking or just helping there? Are you going to be at Imp this year? Maybe we will see you. :)

Anyway, we thoroughly enjoyed our hike from Franconia to Pinkham last year. The weather and scenery were awesome.

Sorry Tin Man, wasn't trying to say that you're "unworthy" of stealthing or unwilling to pay your way! Just wanted to show that you see one version of the mountains while hiking through and an entirely different version when your job is to take help protect them. When I stayed at Imp during my hike I didn't see what the fuss was all about, but when I stayed there for the summer I realized how much of an impact we have out there. I definitely hear you on experiencing the wilderness at night. My favorite nights on the AT were spent in a tent well off the trail and far from any shelter. The problem, especially in the Whites where getting off trail can be difficult, is that many people don't actually get far enough off trail that the site is actually stealth/legal (and I think the two can be the same, when the point of both is that you can't see it when it's there and you can't tell it was there once you're gone). So they end up right next to the trail, and the next group that comes along sees a great campsite and spreads the impact a little further. And so on. And then there's the discrepancy between how respectful people think they are and how they actually behave- like the guy who bragged about his LNT "skills" and then told me about how he "had" to hack off tree branches up on Moriah in order to get around a puddle in the trail without getting wet.

You're right, though- there are plenty of beautiful and legal stealth sites in the whites, and if you take the time to find them and do it respectfully it is an amazing way to spend a night.

Also wasn't trying to imply that you're unfriendly! I was just curious because my experiences in the huts were food-heavy. I'm not sure if they treat section hikers differently- they shouldn't. We're all out there doing the same thing.

I was at Imp until late September last year, then got to spend my last two weeks as a caretaker up at Nauman, so I must have missed you. You probably met Kristin, who's wonderful, or Brent (if the caretaker was an old man). Not going to be at Imp this summer, sadly, but hopefully next year.

And I really appreciate the "praise and thanks," as everyone in the AMC does. After being attacked for a whole summer about the $8 as if it was my own personal idea, it was really nice to hear an occasional "thanks for what you're doing."

Happy hiking! Hope to meet you out there some day. I'll be weekend warrioring in the Whites this summer.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 07:12
Happy hiking! Hope to meet you out there some day. I'll be weekend warrioring in the Whites this summer.
Hey Frame, Wanna hike some Long Trail this summer with Jenn and me?:sun. . . seein's how Ryan's so busy. . . .

Tin Man
05-04-2009, 07:55
We only stayed at Lakes and they did treat thru-hikers different. They had their own table for meals, but couldn't see if they brought them extras - I would guess they did. I didn't care all that much, just was a little put off that we waited an hour for breakfast and got ONE pancake each, large but I could have eaten a stack. We could have used that hour on the trail instead, but hey, we did get to take a little extra time checking our gear, walking around with our coffee and watching the sunrise while we waited!

JAK
05-04-2009, 08:04
dosen't stealth = no fire?Fires can be stealthy. Definitely adds to the fun factor, as long as its done responsibly.

wystiria
05-04-2009, 15:48
My experiences with the huts have always been positive, I have been to all of them and stayed at half. During my incomplete Thru in 98' I stayed at 3 and comparing it to my recent sections (I was at Zealand and Galehead this past october) I don't think I was treated differently.

In fact for our "big" vacation this year myself and DH are doing a Hut traverese and we can't wait. means we can pack ultra light and move faster.

Never once have a left a hut hungry...neither has my DH. even after his "Mountain Rescue Ken" trip up the galehead access trail to carry down a 74 year old woman with 3 of the croo.....

celt
05-04-2009, 20:51
quoteTin Man

Tinker, just to clarify: it's the other way around. The Backcountry Campsites division of the AMC operates at greater than a 50% deficit. The $8 fee we collect offsets a small part of the cost of maintaining the trails and campsites and especially the privy- but the rest of budget comes from the money the huts get from city softies.

I'm former AMC caretaker who'd like to stand behind Aframe's post. I worked 2004-2006 as East Rotater (Speck, Imp & Nauman), Garfield and a Mahoosuc Rover. I've also returned each summer since to fill in, build outhouses and train new caretakers (Aframe, were you at the Kinsman compost training last Spring?)

I was anxious to reply to some of Tin Man's posts which I thought were misinformation concerning the AMC and the AMC's backcountry caretakers but the above post by Aframe expertly addressed any issues I had. Tin Man also seems to have taken Aframes words to heart. Tin Man, it seems that you've come to believe that some of your encounters with the AMC may have dealt you some misinformation and misunderstandings.

We were trained to follow the USFS regulations concerning backcountry camping: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/camping/backcountry_rules_2008-09.pdf but to protect the resources along the trail by cleaning up previously established bootleg campsites (what many think of as "stealth") including minimizing campfire impacts.

I'd say that caretakers are trained well but they're also afforded a lot of freedom just by the fact that they are left alone most of the time to manage their campsite and the trail around it. I can only speculate but some may go astray of training when they become frustrated by the amount work it takes to minimize the impact of the high volume of hikers and campers on the A.T. in the White Mountains. A true steward of the trail teaches the philosophies behind the regulations and not just the regulations. But this path takes skill and patience and the will to avoid just barking the regs. I'd like to think caretaker never resort to this but this is not Sugar Mountain National Forest.

Tin Man
05-04-2009, 21:10
I am a life-long scouter and have always been mindful of minimizing my impact on the forest. I did hear and see how the AMC has improved the forest areas around the campsites and I support those efforts. However, I think discouraging camping off the trail and having a small campfire is taking things too far. For me the enjoyment of the forest is avoiding large, crowded campsites AND being able to cook a steak and enjoy the ambiance of a small campfire.

The trail is there for us to enjoy the forest. A few remote campsites is not going to cause any real harm.

Blissful
05-04-2009, 21:15
Yep, show up at 5 or 6 when you do this. If it's earlier they tend to tell you to move on to the next one. They don't know if people are going to roll in late. Everyone was talking good or bad about the huts when I went southbound. Some northbounders hated them, others didn't.

I don't know, we showed up at 3-4 PM and no problem.

Liked the huts very much, except one where the hutmaster did not like or want thru hikers. Some of the croo at huts were great, even cooking extra food for us. Others left us literally scraping the kettles. But I was glad to have a safe place to be in the WHites and am thankful the croo let us stay for free with work.

Homer&Marje
05-05-2009, 06:29
Not a hut, but last summer when I was at Guyot camp site I was a little pissed that the caretaker did not let us stay in an over flow site.

Anyone who has camped around Guyot knows that after you've done Bondcliff and Mt Bond it's a 1000' descent to the campsite....but as you go there are 3 or 4 overflow sites along the trail before you do the entire descent.

Marje had blown out her knee that morning and I was trying to save her having to walk into the campsite stay for two days ( took an extra day to heal the knee) and then climb out of it. I felt it an unnecessary trek for someone who was injured. The caretaker seemed that her injury was Not worthy of staying at that site and said those sites were for when they were disasterously full and seemed to make a "Judgement" that I would not practice LNT to his standards.....

Just so he knows the trash that we picked up at one of those sites the next day (On a short day hike) was not mine....must have been the overflow crowd you "let" sleep there. Fully established site (No platform) and we paid for 2 nights....could have helped me out... But that's ok...what are knees to a hiker anyways....no big deal:rolleyes:

rickb
05-05-2009, 06:40
So where did you stay?

The side Trail to the Guyot Shelter (perhaps the most heavily used on one in the Whites) does seem like a 1000 feet down after a hard day's walking. Probably a couple hundred.

I would hate to work there as a caretaker.

Homer&Marje
05-05-2009, 07:01
I stayed at Guyot campsite at one of the platforms. The 1000' descent is from the top of Mt Bond. The overflow sites are at about the halfway point of the descent. From the trail to the shelter and sites it's about 250' down to most of the platforms.

Anyone with a blown knee knows how painful every foot is in the Whites. Granite staircases...gotta love em:D

zoidfu
05-05-2009, 07:10
I would have considered staying at an overflow whether that guy liked it or not. Family and friends come before regulations...

Anyway, What's the "penalty" for doing that?

Homer&Marje
05-05-2009, 07:19
Don't know. Don't care really. Was too tired to argue with the guy...he really was nice about it in his own way....but extended courtesies go only so far.

Tin Man
05-05-2009, 07:23
I stayed at Guyot campsite at one of the platforms. The 1000' descent is from the top of Mt Bond. The overflow sites are at about the halfway point of the descent. From the trail to the shelter and sites it's about 250' down to most of the platforms.

Anyone with a blown knee knows how painful every foot is in the Whites. Granite staircases...gotta love em:D

I like the way they make you share a platform ... at least we had a two man tent and ours was there first, so we did not have to have our tent half-hanging over the side like our platform mates with their large tent. :eek:

Probably could have stealthed a little farther north from Guyot. :cool:

zoidfu
05-05-2009, 07:25
Arguing? Just tell him.

I swear, some of the stuff that hikers put up with amazes me... One pancake after spending how much? Letting some dude indirectly tell you how injured your wife is? Letting staff lie to you about where you can and can't camp? It's insane. You certainly don't hold back with me lol

Tin Man
05-05-2009, 07:44
i don't let the little things in life bother me all that much... i just move on down the trail... you, on the other hand, would argue that a shelter mouse's turds were purposely placed in your oatmeal

1azarus
05-05-2009, 10:09
I hope this is an ok place to ask this question (asking it, too, at hammockforums...) Been checking out hammock sites for a July southbound walk thru the Whites from Pinkham Notch... For you loving and kind ground dwellers, that would be any place with TREES! I'm hoping to confirm that I can hammock at the Osgood Tentsite and/or the Valley Way Trail (which is better?), then the Nauman Tentsite, then the Ethan Pond campsite, then the Garfield Ridge campsite, then out at Franconia notch -- and then no more regulation/treeline worries! If I stay at or near these sites, do I need to make any reservations? At these sites, will it really matter if I overlap a weekend?

Homer&Marje
05-05-2009, 10:20
I like the way they make you share a platform ... at least we had a two man tent and ours was there first, so we did not have to have our tent half-hanging over the side like our platform mates with their large tent. :eek:

Probably could have stealthed a little farther north from Guyot. :cool:

We had 2 tents so we didn't have to share with another group...but they will make you. Her knee was the size of a grapefruit after 8 hours of limping over 4.5k of Elevation change...might not be a lot for some hikers, I know it's not for me....but that is pretty hard for her....

Arguing? Just tell him.

I swear, some of the stuff that hikers put up with amazes me... One pancake after spending how much? Letting some dude indirectly tell you how injured your wife is? Letting staff lie to you about where you can and can't camp? It's insane. You certainly don't hold back with me lol

I didn't "put up" with it so to say....I was respectful of the caretakers wishes. Maybe if it was someone else that was very rude about it I might have put up a fit and parked my ass wherever I wanted.

To gain respect you have to be respectful....he was respectful to my concerns about the wife...but made the very careful observation that it would be easier....overall...for her to stay near the privy. If she wanted to use it.

So I said it pissed me off a little bit, but all in all there was reasoning on both sides for the decision that was made.

zoidfu
05-05-2009, 10:31
i don't let the little things in life bother me all that much... i just move on down the trail... you, on the other hand, would argue that a shelter mouse's turds were purposely placed in your oatmeal

You posted enough times about it... 3? 4?

and they were!

zoidfu
05-05-2009, 10:32
I didn't "put up" with it so to say....I was respectful of the caretakers wishes. Maybe if it was someone else that was very rude about it I might have put up a fit and parked my ass wherever I wanted.

To gain respect you have to be respectful....he was respectful to my concerns about the wife...but made the very careful observation that it would be easier....overall...for her to stay near the privy. If she wanted to use it.

So I said it pissed me off a little bit, but all in all there was reasoning on both sides for the decision that was made.

Ok, well that sounds reasonable...

Tin Man
05-05-2009, 11:08
You posted enough times about it... 3? 4?

and they were!

just sharing some stories about what happens in the whites... i know more now what to expect and what to avoid... and learning from others... but that is probably beneath you... and that's why your oatmeal sucks

zoidfu
05-05-2009, 14:48
just sharing some stories about what happens in the whites... i know more now what to expect and what to avoid... and learning from others... but that is probably beneath you... and that's why your oatmeal sucks

You're bitching and moaning and then backpedaling. Your oatmeal stinks just as bad as everyone else's.

Homer&Marje
05-05-2009, 16:35
Oatmeal sucks. That's why it makes a great breakfast while hiking. Put down as much as you can as fast as you can...and then it keeps you full for a while.

Saves time in the morning....imagine the time you'd lose enjoying your breakfast more:D:D

I do like oatmeal....unless you accidentally only save 2 plain oatmeal (instant) thinking it was blueberry (package is "almost" the same) and have to eat both while very grumpy alone in the rain.

Tin Man
05-05-2009, 21:34
had the best oatmeal ever at an amc hut - to go with my one pancake. it was served with brown sugar, raisins, peaches, and chocolate morsels. :cool:yummy - portions were on the small size too. and this is from a guy who swore off oatmeal awhile ago.

Homer&Marje
05-06-2009, 06:47
Yes...done right oatmeal is fantastic...and threads can drift on into mindless obscurity of random comments, insults and advice. Huts can be a wonderful experience of the White Mountains. Your dealing with some harsh conditions and a little touch of comfort is spelled out in big letters some days.

It costs what it does because everything that they have....gets packed in by someone. I'll eat my portion if I stay in a hut again...which I will. I won't complain about that portion, the cost or the accommodations. And I will leave a tip for the poor souls who have to clean up after me and the rest of the stinky bunch.

Lone Wolf
05-06-2009, 06:49
It costs what it does because everything that they have....gets packed in by someone. I'll eat my portion if I stay in a hut again...which I will. I won't complain about that portion, the cost or the accommodations. And I will leave a tip for the poor souls who have to clean up after me and the rest of the stinky bunch.

most of what they have gets flown in by helicopters. that's why it costs so much

JAK
05-06-2009, 07:47
My oatmeal is awesome.

Homer&Marje
05-06-2009, 10:15
most of what they have gets flown in by helicopters. that's why it costs so much

I knew they dropped the bags of compost material in by helicopter....I was told most of the food and supplies were backpacked in.....caretaker at Galehead told me that.

Just what I was told....$1000 bucks minimum for each helicopter trip...lots of sites with privies that need the compost.

peakbagger
05-06-2009, 12:02
The fly in all of the staples for the season by Helicopter, somewhere around now, and pack in any perishables by hut crew. By their permit they cant fly in stuff during the summer season unless they get a waiver from the forest service and reportedly it would have to be a major emergency to get a waiver.