PDA

View Full Version : Want to section hike NH... nervous about going alone

lorichka6
05-01-2009, 11:51
Hi everyone. First post on here :) My husband and I live in Albany, NY and have day hiked (and a few overnights) all of NY, CT and MA on the AT. I'm a teacher and would like to do NH this summer. Unfortunately, my husband has a "real" job and can't take the time to come with me. I'm not nervous about *hiking* alone, I'm most nervous about being alone, at night, in camping area near roads and populated areas. I'm wondering a few things:
a) women - have you gotten over these jitters enough to enjoy yourself?
b) all - how would I go about finding people to hook up with coming out of ME or VT?
c) all - any other advice...?

Thanks!

Laura

modiyooch
05-01-2009, 12:11
I am female and have been hiking alone for most of my 30 years of at experiences. Although, most people will tell you no worries, I do take those concerns of yours into consideration. Personally, I try to be "street smart" on the trail; therefore, I camp alone, not at the shelters, and very careful at road crossings. I try not to make it known that I am travelling alone. I do meet the best people on the trail, and I do know that I am more at danger leaving my work place at night; but I still exercise caution in both environments. I also know that it's not advisable to hike alone, but I'm not going to sit home just because I cannot get anyone to participate.

b. I need to hike most of nh. maybe we can park cars at each end of some hikes and hike opposite directions.

When I first started backpacking at the age of 20; I was afraid of EVERYTHING. I soon learned that I was tired of being afraid.

rubyvermonter
05-01-2009, 12:26
I am a section hiker and have done most of my backpacking on the AT (Caratunk, ME to Front Royal, VA) (and the Long Trail) alone, although I occasionally meet people headed in my direction with whom I spend evenings. I usually stay in designated campsites or shelters in my own tent. I feel safer at a designated spot when I'm alone. I am not concerned about the people at those sites. I will avoid a campsite or shelter that is near a road unless there are other backpackers staying there and it does not have a reputation as a site frequented by locals. There will be a lot of backpacker traffic in NH -- AT NOBO's and SOBO's, hut-to-hut hikers, as well as others. It's unlikely you'll be alone at a shelter or campsite and you may decide to stay in a hut, since the shelters and campsites in areas of the Presidentials are off the trail. Depending on how long you'll be out and your pace, you may be leap-frogging the thru hikers -- they may do a work for stay at a hut in the Whites or get off the trail for a mail drop, for example, and you'll catch up. I enjoy reading the shelter journals to find out who is on the trail ahead of me. For my first solo backpack, I hiked six of the huts in NH -- very tame -- as meals and bedding are provided. The thru-hikers I met were are friendly. HAVE FUN!
RubyVermonter

Snowleopard
05-01-2009, 12:59
b) You might check to see if there are any AMC hikes you can hook up with that fit your schedule (outdoors.org check through their calendar for Chapter hikes). Also, meetup.com has hiking groups.
c) In parts of the Presidentials, staying at AMC huts is easier, but expensive nowadays.

Once you have followed the "street smart" advice of modiyooch and rubyVermonter, you're pretty safe.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 08:29
You will find plenty of other folks along the trail in NH when you're out there hiking and likely find yourself camping in the same spots every night. You'll be safe and not alone. It's quite easy to befriend other folks while out there. . . . enjoy!:sun:sun

Tin Man
05-04-2009, 08:31
You will find plenty of other folks along the trail in NH when you're out there hiking and likely find yourself camping in the same spots every night. You'll be safe and not alone. It's quite easy to befriend other folks while out there. . . . enjoy!:sun:sun
yep, even the penguins are friendly :sun

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 08:32
yep, even the penguins are friendly :sun
Yupperdoodle. . . :)

Pokey2006
05-04-2009, 10:03
Most road crossings along the AT in NH offer an inexpensive, legit place to stay. if you're nervous about camping out near roads (as I am, too). Hostel in Glencliff, Highland Center bunkhouse in Crawford Notch, lodge in Pinkham Notch, hostels in Gorham. And most of the campsites on this stretch of the AT are well off the road -- a couple thousand feet up, where you're only going to meet other hikers. There will be plenty of those along the way.

It's a good stretch to do on your own, as you will meet lots of other people out there.

Kirby
05-04-2009, 10:10
You will not be alone if you get anytime between now and late October.

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 10:27
Yupperdoodle. . . :)

Good lord:bse

lorichka6
05-04-2009, 15:20
Thanks for the nerve-easing comments :) I'd prefer not to do hut to hut b/c of the cost. And also b/c I like the challenge aspect of hiking - I'd rather not have a meal served to me. If I had gotten to NH via 1500 miles of walking, I might feel different :)

What is the best way to get info about hiking NH? For NY, MA and CT I just used the AMC guidebooks, but I feel like the huts "confuse" me and I'm not sure how to handle NOT staying at them. I admit I haven't purchased the NH AT book yet, so feel free to just tell me to buy the book if all of the details of how to either stay at or not stay at the huts are in that.

JAK
05-04-2009, 15:27
You might have better luck if you start out early each morning. Then you can hike alone, and maybe get a sense of who might be just ahead, and either hook up with them or fall back with the previous group when it comes time to camp for the night.

JAK
05-04-2009, 15:34
More teachers should spend there summers hiking. All the more knowledge and experience and passion to share with your students. Perhaps someday there will be more class time outdoors also. Keep the faith.

JAK
05-04-2009, 15:39
You might also ask people coming from the other direction what hikers and camp spots might lie just ahead going your way. If you end up not hooking up with a group you can always hike a bit later into the day. The occassional night alone might not be too bad if you find a nice spot and are tired enough.

freedompirate01
05-04-2009, 16:37
I'm in Albany and recently got into hiking. Just got back yesterday from a 3 day hike with a friend from North Adams MA or Dolton MA.

I'm always up for more adventure, look me up if you want someone to tag along for a few days.

Blissful
05-04-2009, 17:44
Hope you can find a buddy. I did not like the idea of doing the Whites alone (still don't with the weather extremes) and think a trail buddy at least in that area is a good idea. And esp if you are not too faimilar with backpacking.

Wish I had the time, I'd do it with you, sigh. :) My hubby is from Scotia and I originate from the Kingston area.