PDA

View Full Version : rattlesnake

jeremiah j
05-01-2009, 15:12
Saw a large rattlesnake on the trail last week about midway between woody gap and woods hole shelter. I'm positive it was because I touched the rattle with my trekking pole. He did not rattle and seemed to be a little sluggish. I amd not kidding he was about 5 ft long and was as big around as my lower arm. He actually was very pretty. He was real dark in color with some faint yellow diamonds on him:) Also saw a lg blacksnake the day before at gooch gap shelter. I had to catch hin and then let him go after I showed everyone my prize.

emerald
05-01-2009, 15:45
Also saw a lg blacksnake the day before at gooch gap shelter. I had to catch hin and then let him go after I showed everyone my prize.

Too bad you didn't get bit. I once had the pleasure of watching someone who couldn't keep his hands off a black racer get bit. He deserved it.

Survivor Dave
05-01-2009, 16:05
Too bad you didn't get bit. I once had the pleasure of watching someone who couldn't keep his hands off a black racer get bit. He deserved it.

Ya know, that just plain funny right there! LOL I agree with you emerald.

Many Walks
05-01-2009, 16:08
We saw a big fat one that long in PA. Just moseying across the trail. Saw a lot of black snakes along the way too. We were happy they were all part of our hike.

On the other hand, I was struck in the Croc by a copperhead in GA and the wife missed stepping on one in PA by just a few inches. Both were well camouflaged in the fallen leaves. Those were just a bit closer than we liked, but it all turned out just fine.

emerald
05-01-2009, 16:20
We saw a big fat one that long in PA. Just moseying across the trail. Saw a lot of black snakes along the way too. We were happy they were all part of our hike.

Pennsylvania's snakes are happy to oblige and don't expect or accept tips!

On the other hand, I was struck in the Croc by a copperhead in GA and the wife missed stepping on one in PA by just a few inches. Both were well camouflaged in the fallen leaves. Those were just a bit closer than we liked, but it all turned out just fine.

That's the difference between Georgia and Pennsylvania snakes. Ours only bite people who feel the need to pet them or refuse to yield the right of way.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-01-2009, 17:44
I saw 2 in 1 day just north of I40 last year, I took pictures of each, but the darn things are so camouflage you can barely see them lol. The first one was large and dark about 5 maybe 6 foot, and he didn't even care I almost stepped on him. When my foot came down beside his head he looked up at me as if to say "hey dick, look where you walk" it was actually the shape of his head that told me he was poisonous since his diamond shaped black head was all I was looking at as I screamed like a little girl and ran back the trail. It wasn't until I got out my camera, grew my balls back, and crept back to him, that I saw the rattles.

Tipi Walter
05-01-2009, 17:51
Saw a large rattlesnake on the trail last week about midway between woody gap and woods hole shelter. I'm positive it was because I touched the rattle with my trekking pole. He did not rattle and seemed to be a little sluggish. I amd not kidding he was about 5 ft long and was as big around as my lower arm. He actually was very pretty. He was real dark in color with some faint yellow diamonds on him:) Also saw a lg blacksnake the day before at gooch gap shelter. I had to catch hin and then let him go after I showed everyone my prize.

Stumbling onto a rattlesnake always sobers me up and gets my beady eyes to study the terrain a lot more carefully. Copperheads I find nearly harmless on the scare-scale, but the old rattlers keep my heart abeatin!! I always hang out with the reptiles a bit and try to gently scare them off the trail and let them know about humans. I want them to be scared of us, so the next one they see they will run from--and not get killed.

sly dog
05-01-2009, 17:53
Once hiking into Duncanon I almost stepped on a rattler. I was hiking at a quicker pace and my brother was behind me, just before I put my foot down I heard the rattle. My brother said if I planted that step it would have been right in front of the snakes mouth. He was already coiled up in the strike position right in the middle of the trail. I think someone must have just came by to piss him off before I got there and thats why he was sitting like that and not laid out sunning himself. Too close of a call for me and it did get my heart pumping quite a bit.

Tipi Walter
05-01-2009, 17:59
Once hiking into Duncanon I almost stepped on a rattler. I was hiking at a quicker pace and my brother was behind me, just before I put my foot down I heard the rattle. My brother said if I planted that step it would have been right in front of the snakes mouth. He was already coiled up in the strike position right in the middle of the trail. I think someone must have just came by to piss him off before I got there and thats why he was sitting like that and not laid out sunning himself. Too close of a call for me and it did get my heart pumping quite a bit.

Another good reason to love winter camping in the snow and ice. Hearing that loud telltale buzzing rattle is bad enough, sometimes you hear it and don't see the snake for a few seconds--a few seconds of terror. Sounds like a really angry group of circadas . . . maybe.

Engine
05-01-2009, 18:04
Another good reason to love winter camping in the snow and ice. Hearing that loud telltale buzzing rattle is bad enough, sometimes you hear it and don't see the snake for a few seconds--a few seconds of terror. Sounds like a really angry group of circadas . . . maybe.

Near campsite #90 on Fontana lake I stepped over a log with out looking (yeah, dumb I know) and immediately heard a really loud buzz behind my ankle. It was a 4 foot Timber Rattler that looked about 14 feet long for the 1-2 seconds it took me to slowly move away...I carried spare undies back then and I'm pretty sure I used them that day. :)

MintakaCat
05-01-2009, 18:30
Another good reason to love winter camping in the snow and ice. Hearing that loud telltale buzzing rattle is bad enough, sometimes you hear it and don't see the snake for a few seconds--a few seconds of terror.

Amen to that!! You have no idea how much I want cold weather to return so I can use my ParaTipi with wood stove AND not have to deal with snakes and bugs.

sasquatch2014
05-02-2009, 08:04
I met the director of the Bear Mt Zoo the other day out on the trail he was scouting out some areas that he had looked at in arial photos as possible Timber Rattler territory. I gave him my card as I had to go but told him I would love to go out and help him look for areas that need further protection. There are very few dens in this area.

MintakaCat
05-02-2009, 08:33
Oh yeah, rattle snake dens are fun.:-?

Reminds me of this video of Steve Erwin as he comes to the US to look for rattle snakes and gets more than he bargained for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQUPKt907Vg&NR=1

Makes you think twice about where you go off the trail. Being around those snakes is no joke and you got to be real careful because more of them may be near by.

east_stingray
05-03-2009, 12:06
Yikes... this is always something I worry about in the ozarks. I miss a lot of scenery staring at the trail to make sure I'm not going to step on a copperhead (or rattler).

east_stingray
05-03-2009, 12:09
Oh yeah, rattle snake dens are fun.:-?

Reminds me of this video of Steve Erwin as he comes to the US to look for rattle snakes and gets more than he bargained for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQUPKt907Vg&NR=1

Makes you think twice about where you go off the trail. Being around those snakes is no joke and you got to be real careful because more of them may be near by.

Wow, that got my heart rate up just sitting here in my PJs at my computer!