PDA

View Full Version : How hard is Maine

Alaskanhkr23
05-01-2009, 22:22
Im a experienced hiker but i never done maine is it very hard? any info given would be greatly apreciated:banana I love Da banana man

Chaco Taco
05-01-2009, 22:47
Depends on the time of year. If you are not in shape Im sure its tough. I have only hike din Maine at the end of a thru so my perspective is a bit different. i will say this about Maine, it is amazing hiking. If you do go hike in Maine you will love it! On the AT there are a few long stretches of long and flat but there are also some lung busting climbs. Its fun, you should go!

Alaskanhkr23
05-01-2009, 23:00
i wanna but i dnt wanna do it alone

Chaco Taco
05-01-2009, 23:01
From the end of July til end of Sept it will have alot of traffic.

Shutterbug
05-01-2009, 23:08
Im a experienced hiker but i never done maine is it very hard? any info given would be greatly apreciated:banana I love Da banana man

One can't really give an answer without knowing what you are comparing it to. The mountains are not as high or as steep as the Cascades or the Rockys but they are tough by east coast standards.

Your name suggests that you have hiked in Alaska. Compared to manyof the trails in Alaska, the AT in Maine is fairly tame. You might see a big moose, but you won't see any grissly bears.

The 100 Mile Wilderness is one of my favorite hikes. I keep going back. I recommend it.

Based on my experience, you won't really be alone if you hike in the late summer or fall. Hike southbound and you will get to meet a lot of the thru hikers as they head on north.

Alaskanhkr23
05-01-2009, 23:14
Yeah alaska is hard but im outta my element here,i wanna go with someone that knows or is experienced with northern new england

SlowLightTrek
05-01-2009, 23:15
I liked the bogs an the beaver dams. Fall colors were excellent. The last 100 miles before Katahdin is root hopping. I wouldn't suggest that section.

Alaskanhkr23
05-01-2009, 23:19
really? danm i like the pure wilderness though,i just dnt go into anything alone thats that deep

Many Walks
05-01-2009, 23:22
It's as difficult as it is beautiful. There are some tough parts, but you can work your way through them.

We saw some Moose and on one occasion my wife almost got run over by a Mom and her calf...all three were surprised and parted ways quickly.

Maine is great with the feeling of wilderness, but nothing to be afraid of. It was one of my favorite parts of the trail. You'll enjoy hiking there!

Tinker
05-01-2009, 23:25
Southern Maine is the hardest part of Maine, equal to, and sometimes harder than New Hampshire. Maine tends to be wetter than New Hampshire and there are lots of slippery rock slabs when it's wet (as well as a fair amount of boggy ground). The Maine Appalachian Trail Club does a fantastic job of keeping the trail clear of blowdowns and there are a lot of nice ponds to swim in. Shelters, if you like them, are mostly in good shape. Hall and Moody mountains, though not tall, are extremely steep and slippery (at least when I went through that section). The section with the most vertical climbing is Saddleback to Rte 17 (I think that's the road).
I'd have to say that of all New England, Maine is the prettiest and wildest part.

Alaskanhkr23
05-01-2009, 23:32
yeah but i would get bored by my self

Tinker
05-01-2009, 23:42

You'll never know 'til you try. I was scared ****less my first night alone in a shelter, now I prefer my own company. Nature is never boring. It's we who are boring ourselves when we don't allow ourselves to see, hear, smell, touch, and taste the natural world around us.

You'll see :).

Alaskanhkr23
05-01-2009, 23:54
You put it so well man thank you

Chaco Taco
05-02-2009, 09:35

Im not trying to blast you, but you wont get bored. There is so much to look at and listen to. Depending when you go, you will not be alone.

Alaskanhkr23
05-02-2009, 10:13
ok sound good lol