PDA

View Full Version : Creepy, scarey places on the AT?

funkyfreddy
06-10-2004, 23:17
A curious researcher wants to know........ What and where are the most creepy and scary places on the AT?

Do you remember any old houses or cemetaries that gave you the willies? Any lean to’s or other places along the AT raise the hairs on the back of your neck? Please let us know! Thanks, Fred

Lugnut
06-10-2004, 23:34
There is an old house in the middle of nowhere (actually it's just south of highway 42/level green church in Va.) that is plain creepy, even in the day time. I have seen it referred to as "The Blair Witch House", even though the Blair Witch area is on up in Maryland at Crampton Gap. There are pictures of this house posted here on Whitebalze. I never did find out the history of the house. I wasn't scared, since it was day light; I wouldn't stay there at night though.
I also stayed at Wapiti Shelter (tented behind) the very day that the guy that comitted the two murders there was released from jail. Felt a little strange, but didn't figure he would rush right back there. :)

Lone Wolf
06-11-2004, 00:17
Rusty's. That's all.

jollies
06-11-2004, 08:30
Sarver Hollow in VA is said to still be haunted by ghosts. That was the creepiest place for me....I stayed there and all night I thought I heard someone creeping around in the woods!

Kerosene
06-11-2004, 09:57
On my first section hike of the AT in April 1973, between Blairstown Road and Stokes State Forest, the Trail was routed down a paved street in a residential area. What was wierd is that there was absolutely no one in sight, and each house had at least one wall bashed in. It was eerie. I started to wonder if some sort of emergency hadn't been declared. I'm pretty sure that the Trail has been re-routed by now. I later learned that the state conservation agency had decided to "return the land to nature".

torch
06-11-2004, 10:01
I entered the Wiley Shelter on the New York side of the NY/CT border from the north on a night hike once. Someone had plastered the area with those little reflective dots. My head lamp lit those suckers up and it looked like hundreds of eyes reflecting back at you. Of course, it didn't help that 15 minutes prior I had actually did shine my headlamp on a set of eyes that turned out to be a small bear.

SavageLlama
06-11-2004, 10:20
In Model T's book he talks about a shelter in VT that is haunted by a little girl. Supposedly a girl got separated from her mom on a hike and was never seen again. People who stay at the shelter have reported seeing a little girl come by and ask if anyone has seen her mom, and then disappear.

Of course, it could just be a joke the trail workers made up..

Bankrobber
06-11-2004, 11:30
I hiked through the South in the early fall of 2002. Georgia has some creepy spots. Especially Stover Creek and Low Gap shelters. My first night on the trail at Stover Creek, I heard the sound of a woman screaming in the distant. Either that or a mountain lion (I have heard of people seeing them there in the past).
Someone posted something freeky about seeing an apparition at Stratton Pond a while back, and someone also promised to post a story about a ghost on Sugarloaf at one point.