PDA

View Full Version : How To Retire 6 Months Every Year

TedB
06-11-2004, 00:43
I was looking through some back issues of Mother Earth News, and found this article some here might find interesting. It starts with a resignation letter:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/index.php?page=arc&id=5469

Issue # 3 - May/June 1970
How To Retire 6 Months Every Year
by Irv Thomas

Date: March 18, 1970
To: Personnel Dept.
Subject: Retirement

Four weeks from this date, on April 15, 1970, I shall be retiring, and this constitutes my four weeks notice in conformance with company standards for professionally classed employees.

I realize that retirement is an odd term to use at my age, but it is the only one that can validly be applied. The circumstances of my life are such that I need only work half the year for my physical support, and rather than spend or hoard the excess for 25 years, which is the usual custom, I would rather take my retirement in easy stages while I am still young enough to make good use of it.

pvtmorriscsa
06-11-2004, 02:56
Howdy
You got any back issues that discuss the coming ice age? I remember reading mother earth news when I was a kid back in the 70s, and seeing mention of an ice age coming by the year 2000.

Jaybird
06-11-2004, 06:20
TedB

THANKS so much for sharing the VINTAGE article.

Just goes to show...man doesnt change...just the pricetags! :D

i look foward to "down-sizing" my LIFE-style with a thru-hike @
my "retirement" (in 15 years).

papa john
06-11-2004, 06:50
I have a box full of these magazines going way back to the beginning. I need to get them out and go through them again.

The 1970 dollar today is worth $4.83! http://woodrow.mpls.frb.fed.us/research/data/us/calc/

PJ

Pencil Pusher
06-11-2004, 06:57
It's just our american culture. Move to a different country where they value their privacy and don't allow work to interfere. If you were a registered nurse, you could do really well on this six-on, six-off idea. That job field is always hurting for qualified workers.