PDA

View Full Version : APRS while hiking

rlharris
05-02-2009, 15:23
Anyone used APRS (automatic position reporting system) while hiking? Either with a hand held like Kenwood's TH-D7A or Yaesu's VX-8R or with Byonics' Micro-Trak AIO. This last unit will operate for nearly eight days. As long as one is within range of a digipeater, friends (and enemies :rolleyes:) at home can track the person carrying it. Only the person transmitting the signal needs to be a licenses amateur operator. Tracking can be done on the internet.

MintakaCat
05-02-2009, 16:09
Okay, I admit, I'm not up to speed on ARPS. But doesn't it also require a interface cable to a GPS to work?

rlharris
05-02-2009, 16:37
I think the Kenwood requires an external GPS receiver and cable. The Micro-Trak AIO (AIO = all in one) has the GPS receiver and antenna built in. I think the Yaesu VX-8R is also self-contained (the GPS receiver is a plug-in option). It is so new I haven't had the opportunity to check it out yet.

wrongway_08
05-02-2009, 16:37
Hmmm, pet ID tag GPS units works the same doesnt it? Just put it on your pack and friends and family can track you on the net.
Light, cheap - less then 10 bucks a month for the tracking service and the battery charge last a month.

Sorry for the drift, just might be a better option to keep weight down and not have to worry about charging it up so much.

MintakaCat
05-02-2009, 18:01
Sorry for the drift, just might be a better option to keep weight down and not have to worry about charging it up so much.

Wrongway has a point there. The only problem is that you can't communicate with it.

I think that any APRS function is going to be passed over because of its weight. Handheld radio plus GPS or this AIO might be heavy too, don't know.

Plus, battry life might also be a factor. I know my little Garman GPS eats up its batteries in less than 24 hours.

I just get on the radio and tell my friends where I'm at.

JaxHiker
05-03-2009, 22:52
The Byonics would probably be your best bet but I wonder if there are digipeaters within range.