PDA

View Full Version : Plan My Trip! Knowledge is Needed

whywoogy
05-02-2009, 20:06
Hello everyone. I used this board for a GA trip last year and the help was priceless!

I am wanting to take a trip 5-7 days this June (very beginning of) to either Tennessee or New Jersey. I would be flying from Ft. Lauderdale FL. Honestly I am pretty open to itineraries. I am just looking to get some fresh air for a few days (not much of that down here in SFL).

If anyone has any suggestions on where to fly into and how to get to close trail heads for a few days hiking, it would be much appreciated. I am of age if car rental is needed.

Feral Bill
05-02-2009, 20:19
Should be easy to get a flight into NYC. There is easy public transport to several trail points, by bus or train. Bear Mt. south to Delaware water gap or north to Pawling would work.

whywoogy
05-02-2009, 20:37
Should be easy to get a flight into NYC. There is easy public transport to several trail points, by bus or train. Bear Mt. south to Delaware water gap or north to Pawling would work.

Is this the Bear Mt. that you speak of?
http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkId=55

What airport in NYC? Where is Bear Mt. located? If I fly into NYC how do I get to Bear Mt.? You say bus or train, but do you know exactly how?

Thanks for the input!

I am really looking for NJ or Tennessee but input like this (close vicinity to either) is also welcome but please keep limited :)

To hit a trail head in NJ would it best to fly into LGA, JFK, or EWR (Newark)?

Blue Jay
05-03-2009, 09:38
Where is Bear Mt. located? If I fly into NYC how do I get to Bear Mt.? You say bus or train, but do you know exactly how?

Bear Mt. Bridge where the AT crosses the Hudson, is about 2 miles north of Peekskill NY. Take a train from NYC to Peekskill and a taxi to the trail as it is a hard hitch. The walk is possible, I've done it, however there are places that are real close to a lot of traffic depending on the time of day.

whywoogy
05-03-2009, 13:31
Bear Mt. Bridge where the AT crosses the Hudson, is about 2 miles north of Peekskill NY. Take a train from NYC to Peekskill and a taxi to the trail as it is a hard hitch. The walk is possible, I've done it, however there are places that are real close to a lot of traffic depending on the time of day.

How much would the taxi be?

Reid
05-03-2009, 14:36
I couldn't rent cars until I was 25 for some reason. You may want to check on that.

whywoogy
05-04-2009, 22:58
How is the Bear Mt. area? Any highlights I need to see? Anyone have some pictures of the area? Best to head South or North at the trail head?