PDA

View Full Version : Best book(s) for offtrail Scenic Views, Waterfalls, Swimming holes?

cadwag
05-02-2009, 20:19
Howdy

My girlfriend and I are section hiking the AT for three months, mid-May to mid-Aug. We're planning a fairly "easy" daily average of 11-13 NOBO miles / day. We want to do 1000 miles minimum, so that puts us somewhere between MD and southern PA most likely.

I say NOBO miles / day because we want to visit as many scenic vistas, waterfalls, and swimming holes as time permits and dont mind hiking off trail to get there.

We are about to purchase all the maps between GA and PA to help with this effort, but I'm trying to decide which book(s) to buy alongside them.

Here is my current understanding of the books available:
ATC Databook - probably too barebones for my purposes. Despite looking for it, have not had the chance to see one in print or online and so I'm not sure about this.

ATC Companion - I found the online copy at the ALDHA site. It mentions a good amount of overlooks on the trail (which is good), a few waterfalls, a few swimming holes.

WF Handbook - I found the preview on WF's website, but that's all I've seen of it. I like the data layout of this book alot better than the ATC Companion and especially like the elevation profiles at the bottom of some pages. It mentions the same on-trail overlooks as the ATC Companion, but not (from the preview section) any waterfalls or swimming holes.

ATC Guidebooks - I know of them, but have never seen any part of them. Any info about them would be appreciated.

I know the Guidebooks would be a bit heavier & more expensive, but if they provide what I'm looking for (info on additional overlooks, waterfalls, swimming holes) I'd be willing to pay for them and carry them. I can have the one coming up maildropped to me.

Also, like I said, I'm planning on buying the maps for sure and I'm good with a map, compass, and directions in general.

Ok, so if you can, please help me out with:
1. Do the maps have any info about overlooks, watefalls, and swimming holes?

2. Which book(s) would you purchase to get the most info about offtrail overlooks, waterfalls, and swimming holes?

If there is some other great resource out there that I didn't mention, please assume I don't know about it and let me know! Any additional info would also be appreciated.

Of course, thanks for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Thanks

Egads
05-02-2009, 21:18
Google & Google Images