PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late?

Bunny
05-03-2009, 02:09
Howdy! I've been wanting to hike the AT for about 7 years now, and due to some recent changes of circumstances I have about a year to do whatever I'd like. So, I'm thinking I'd like to go SOBO starting in mid-late July. I haven't made reservations for Baxter State Park yet - am I too late? Will everything already be booked? Thanks!

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 09:54
You are not too late and there will still be plenty of SOBO's heading out from Katahdin in your time frame. . . . . We'll be at Shaw's (Monson the 3rd week of July then head up to Katahdin to hike the 100 mile. . . hope to see you out there. . .
As for Katahdin reservations, you'll be fine, there's always room for a SOBO there at Katahdin Stream Campground. . . .:sun:sun:sun

blackyjones
05-04-2009, 11:51
not too late at all. i just called baxter and made my june 7th reservations. so you should be golden for july.do katahdin stream lean to. lean to and campground are the same price so if you want to, just throw down your tent, but you still have the option of the lean to.

hikergirl1120
05-04-2009, 11:54
THis is going to make me sound like I am totally unprepared and probably a big dork.....I will be tenting I didn't realize that I needed to make reservations at Katahdin...

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 12:04
THis is going to make me sound like I am totally unprepared and probably a big dork.....I will be tenting I didn't realize that I needed to make reservations at Katahdin...
It's cool, lot's of tenting opportunities on your SOBO but having a lean-to at Katahdin Stream is pretty sweet. . . :sun

hikergirl1120
05-04-2009, 12:48
So what's the usual....hike into the "stream" campground and then hike the mountain next day? Is it possible to summit Katahdin on the first day alone??

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 12:54
So what's the usual....hike into the "stream" campground and then hike the mountain next day? Is it possible to summit Katahdin on the first day alone??
If you are able to get near Katahdin (Millinocket) you can hike the mountain that day and head out the next morning. . . my favorite. . . get to Katahdin Stream. . . . enjoy the day and hike up part of the trail. . . . maybe to the foot bridge at Katahdin Falls. . . . camp. . . . listen to the stream while you sleep that night. . . hike the mountain the next day, relax, take it all in with no thoughts of being rushed. . . wake the next morning and head south with a great experience of the mountain behind you and the AT dream before you. . . enjoy :sun:sun

hikergirl1120
05-04-2009, 13:00
Thanks for the info.

I didn't think there was going to be a problem getting "near" Katahdin...I am fortunate to have a ride right to Baxter Park...I will have to tacke a second look at my first day itnerary

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 13:03
Thanks for the info.

I didn't think there was going to be a problem getting "near" Katahdin...I am fortunate to have a ride right to Baxter Park...I will have to tacke a second look at my first day itnerary

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Katahdin Stream is magical. . . . :sun:sun:sun

hikergirl1120
05-04-2009, 13:06
I think you are right....I mean the enitre point of this trip is really for me to stop and smell the flowers.

I am going to make my reservation today....I think I am going to go for a tent site though.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 13:10
I think you are right....I mean the enitre point of this trip is really for me to stop and smell the flowers.

I am going to make my reservation today....I think I am going to go for a tent site though.
Never stayed at a tent site there. . . . the proximity to the stream is to intoxicating to be away from it. . . . it's all beautiful. . . enjoy. . .

hikergirl1120
05-04-2009, 13:26
I will!!! I am mailing my paperwork right now!! HOORAY!!!!

hammock engineer
05-04-2009, 16:38

You need a reservation and can't stay at the birches like the other AT hikers (northbounders). Don't get me started on how big a load of crap that is.

They are not hard to get. Call ahead. I would stay 2 night. Big K was a lot harder than I would it would be. I got there one night. Left the following morning at 6 am to start up. Took my time, and a ton of pics. And made it down by 4pm just before the skys opened up. The next day I did a 15 or something like it to the first shelter in the wilderness.

I would definitly take 2 nights. It takes the hassle. You can get day packs at the ranger station. They are nasty and I would just use your own sans your gear. He also had a ton of extra food northbounders left if you ask nicely.

Stop at Abol bridge before you go into the wilderness for some overpriced food. Along with Whitehouse landing you will think yourself.

One thing I would do differently would be to bring enough food to gorge myself at Katadin spring. Give yourself the extra energy before you leave.

There will be some southbounders than, but not a lot. Enjoy though. Great time to be out.

A lot of info here on southbounding. There are a few good TJ's too.

Alaskanhkr23
05-04-2009, 16:42
Im Wanna start in Maine but Ct seems to be a better Start? doese anyone have any opinions on this

hammock engineer
05-04-2009, 16:51
Get on and pick a direction.

Forgot to add that don't think the summer in Maine is warm at night. Some chilly high 40's when I was there.

peepsters
06-12-2009, 17:50
I just made reservations for a tentsite for june 30th and july 1st and they still have plenty of those open.

Marta
06-12-2009, 17:56
I was lucky enough to get the tentsite closest to the end of the Hunt Trail. #16, if memory serves. It was really cool to spend the night so close to the place where I was about the make the first step of the journey.

mudhead
06-12-2009, 18:32
Forgot to add that don't think the summer in Maine is warm at night. Some chilly high 40's when I was there.

High 40's is warm here at night. Price you pay in the tundra.:D

We might get a couple nights in the high 50's. Miserable sleeping weather.