PDA

View Full Version : shoes and gorp

phillycheze
05-03-2009, 12:59
just wondering on a few things...

shoes: GTX or no GTX. i have fairly sweaty feet...

gorp: any recipies? do's and dont's? i like M&M's, too melty?

garlic08
05-03-2009, 13:34
No on the Goretex, my opinion. The membrane works (breathes) best when it's clean and dry. How often does that happen on shoes?

It's amazing to me how few people know or remember what the acronym GORP means. Stands for Good Old Raisins and Peanuts. And in my opinion, that's still the best recipe.

Chaco Taco
05-03-2009, 13:37
No Gore tex! Stay away from it.

GORP- peanuts, pecans, chocolate covered raisins,

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 13:41
Goretex is great on a 1 or 2 day hike but on an extended trip it's as bad as leather, take forever to dry out. . . non-goretex dries pretty quickly. . .

phillycheze
05-03-2009, 14:17
It's amazing to me how few people know or remember what the acronym GORP means. Stands for Good Old Raisins and Peanuts. And in my opinion, that's still the best recipe.

i know the acronym, just looking for suggestions.

Engine
05-03-2009, 17:20
Just a bunch of salty nuts, I like almonds, pecans, peanuts and pistachios. Add pretzels, m&ms, maybe some dried banana chips and raisins, maybe some Chex mix, etc...

I like 2 or 3 good size handfuls a day to pad the calories and keep energy and sodium level up.

CowHead
05-03-2009, 18:36
I like dry cranberries, sunflower seeds, peanuts, raisins, with pepper jerky on the side

Kanati
05-03-2009, 22:38
At some Target stores they sell raw mixed nuts. No salt, roasting etc. The nuts include cashews, almonds, pistachios, hazelnuts and walnuts. The brand is Archer Farms and they are delicious. They are packaged in 30 oz. clear plastic jars and sell for about $10.00 Our local Target stores close to home don't carry them so I get them in Chattanoogo when I'm visiting the kids. These nuts are the base for my gorp this year. I add all the other items like raisens, plain/peanut M&M's, dried fruit, etc.

Happy hiking. :sun

Goose Catcher
05-03-2009, 23:45
Raw nuts like almonds, chopped walnuts, peanuts and cashews.
Dried fruit: which can be almost anything from pineapple to cranberries to mango to classic raisins and anything else.
Candy: M&M's and Candy corn for that complex sugar boost.

I like my mix more sweet than salty.

bigcranky
05-04-2009, 07:36
Goretex trail runners work great in the winter. Otherwise I just use mesh shoes, which dry a LOT faster when they get wet.

Gorp: Anything you can mix together. My favorite Gorp is Cashews, Dried Cherries, and Chocolate Chips (in the summer I substitute Dark Chocolate M&Ms.) My wife likes to add Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Craisins, and Almonds to her Gorp.

I also like a mix of Cheez-its, Pretzels, and Peanuts. The little square pretzels are best, but any will do. This is particularly good with the Tabasco-flavored Cheez-its and honey-roasted Peanuts.

The raisins-and-peanuts standby recipe is greatly enhanced with the addition of M&Ms.

Turtlehiker
05-04-2009, 09:21
I like to add those salty little seasame sticks that you can get in the bulk foods at a health food store ummm they ad some nice flavor, bulk and I would be some good fat. Plus they are light. It is amazing how heavy a GORP bag can be. I also like to package it in individual "day" packs so I don't get the munchies and eat it all.

JAK
05-04-2009, 09:35
Trail Mix Recipes:
No good recipes, but I like throwing my own stuff together instead of buying mixes. You can sort of tailor it to your nutritional needs. Recently I've been mixing dry oatmeal in with currants. We get fresh and frozen blueberries relatively cheap here, so I am going to try drying them in our convection oven. If I get lean and need more fat I can throw in some almonds or chocolate chips, or soak the oats in some oil and bake them into granola. Seeds are good also, as you get lean and need more fats.

Engine
05-04-2009, 09:58
Trail Mix Recipes:
No good recipes, but I like throwing my own stuff together instead of buying mixes. You can sort of tailor it to your nutritional needs. Recently I've been mixing dry oatmeal in with currants. We get fresh and frozen blueberries relatively cheap here, so I am going to try drying them in our convection oven. If I get lean and need more fat I can throw in some almonds or chocolate chips, or soak the oats in some oil and bake them into granola. Seeds are good also, as you get lean and need more fats.

That sounds delicious, I hadn't thought of using olive oil on oats before baking them, but with some dried berries and nuts I'm betting it would be great.

Pony
05-04-2009, 12:17
Why don't they make a raisonette candy bar? I had a bag last week and they melted together. The next morning they had solidified into one chunk. i ate it like a candy bar and it was delicious.

I like peanut M&M's in my GORP. Apricots are good too, just be careful of how many you eat in one sitting, unless you like digging holes.

garlic08
05-04-2009, 14:26
Trail Mix Recipes:
No good recipes, but I like throwing my own stuff together instead of buying mixes.

No kidding! I was at a health food store the other day in Flagstaff (along the AZT) and they wanted up to $14 per pound for trail mixes. All the stuff in the mix was going for a maximum of $8 per pound. Who falls for this?

JAK
05-04-2009, 14:34
Exactly, and with oats and currants you can keep it under a buck a pound.

Now our blueberries are up to about $15 for 5 pounds frozen. I am not sure what that weight would be once I dry them. I'm guessing maybe as much as $15 per pound. I'll try them though, just to see what they are like. Oats are cheap though, and homemade granola is just as cheap because you don't have to use olive oil. Canola oil will do.

Rockhound
05-04-2009, 16:10
I thought GORP meant Getting Old. Reconsidering Plans.

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 17:44
I thought GORP meant Getting Old. Reconsidering Plans.
:clap:clap:jump:jump:bse:bse