PDA

View Full Version : new thread- more replies?

Nina
05-03-2009, 14:47
( I just copied this over)
Can I ask for some opinions and thoughts about this..
Starting out this spring in the middle somewhere and go north to maine then get back to where I started and go south? that would work well weather wise wouldn't it? and do you think its posible to get all ready in a couple of weeks, I only have a pack and a stove so far. I could put it off ANOTHER year and be more prepared - but thats also risking NOT going at all. Looking for opinions and thoughts of total strangers!? but you hike though!

Nina, get some weekend section hikes in before jumping into a thru hike

I know that is what I SHOULD do, but I have been dreaming of a thru-hike for many years. In 2004 I thought I would go 2009, after all the kids graduated. I found myself to be unprepared financially and physically and a few months ago I decieded that I will have to wait till 2010, and make sure that all is in place so that I will have a shot at finnishing. BUT I don't think I will EVER be in a good financial place to do this and I fear that if I don't go now I never will.I mean I missed the leaving georgia timeframe but there may still be hope for this year.

But even though I've been reading about it and thinking about it for so many years, it would still be like jumping into it. I have conditioned myself with 5-14 mile hikes but not with a pack.

But I feel MENTALLY prepared...or desparate I'm not sure which

thank you for your opinions (I hope)

Pacific Tortuga
05-03-2009, 15:08
wouda/schuda/coulda, just go and let the the chips land where they fly.
It sounds like you want and maybe need to go.
There is one book ? about a woman with NO camping/backpacking background, goes for a thru and makes it.
I would say having the cash to back it up, might come in handy for r&r, new gear, medical and ???????.
Good Luck and don't look back

thestin
05-03-2009, 15:14
Yes, you could easily be ready to go in two weeks. Heck, probably in a couple of days.
It's not rocket science...just walking. I see you live in PA. You could get on the trail at Harpers Ferry and walk north. Looks like the cold weather is behind us, and as long as you have some good wet weather gear you'll be fine.

Nina
05-03-2009, 15:16
you just made me almost cry dude

Nina
05-03-2009, 15:19
i think it's the "need to go" part

Nina
05-03-2009, 15:21
Yes, you could easily be ready to go in two weeks. Heck, probably in a couple of days.
It's not rocket science...just walking. I see you live in PA. You could get on the trail at Harpers Ferry and walk north. Looks like the cold weather is behind us, and as long as you have some good wet weather gear you'll be fine.

If I got on in HP in about 2 weeks could I get to maine in time if I am slow?

thestin
05-03-2009, 15:25
Yes! You would have nearly 5 months to get to Katahdin if you get on the trail in mid May. I imagine you would get there much faster than that, and then have some nice fall weather to hike south from Harpers Ferry to Springer. Plus you'll get the rocks of PA out of the way before the summer heat and humidity hits.

aframe
05-03-2009, 15:34
Go for it! Other than buying gear, you really don't need to plan much. I "planned" my southbound thru-hike in less than a month and I had spent a grand total of maybe 3 nights outdoors. My "shakedown hike" was the 100-mile wilderness at the start of my thru-hike, and my planning consisted of buying gear, setting up my new tent once in my backyard, and buying 10 days worth of candy bars, ramen, cheese and pepperoni. The overnight thing was brand new to me so I had to buy a pack, tent, sleeping bag... but if you're on a budget like I was and it sounds like you are, go through everything you own and see what you can use. Gatorade/water bottles are cheaper than Nalgenes, a brand new North Face shirt will end up looking just as wrecked as the one you're using to hike in now, or one that costs $10 from Marshall's... you get the idea.

Anyhoo, I started with no experience, almost no preparation, and no real plans other than to head south after Katahdin. I was a little freaked out that I had no clue what I was doing, but I think the lack of expectations that came with starting like that is what helped me finish the trail. Go for it- you'll love it! Even if I had left the trail in Monson it would have been one of the most amazing experiences I've had.

Speaking of southbounding, though... have you considered that option? It would give you a little more time to prepare if you need it. I started June 3 but I was one of the first, and a lot of people start in July. It's a great way to go!

vonfrick
05-03-2009, 15:36
Nina,
Go. . . enjoy. . . it's your life. . . . it's your trail while you're on it. . . . have a great time. . . . .:sun:sun:sun

vonfrick
05-03-2009, 15:37
Go for it! Other than buying gear, you really don't need to plan much. I "planned" my southbound thru-hike in less than a month and I had spent a grand total of maybe 3 nights outdoors. My "shakedown hike" was the 100-mile wilderness at the start of my thru-hike, and my planning consisted of buying gear, setting up my new tent once in my backyard, and buying 10 days worth of candy bars, ramen, cheese and pepperoni. The overnight thing was brand new to me so I had to buy a pack, tent, sleeping bag... but if you're on a budget like I was and it sounds like you are, go through everything you own and see what you can use. Gatorade/water bottles are cheaper than Nalgenes, a brand new North Face shirt will end up looking just as wrecked as the one you're using to hike in now, or one that costs $10 from Marshall's... you get the idea.

Anyhoo, I started with no experience, almost no preparation, and no real plans other than to head south after Katahdin. I was a little freaked out that I had no clue what I was doing, but I think the lack of expectations that came with starting like that is what helped me finish the trail. Go for it- you'll love it! Even if I had left the trail in Monson it would have been one of the most amazing experiences I've had.

Speaking of southbounding, though... have you considered that option? It would give you a little more time to prepare if you need it. I started June 3 but I was one of the first, and a lot of people start in July. It's a great way to go!

Aframe is a dork. . . . . :sun:)

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 15:38
Aframe is a dork. . . . . :sun:)
Woopsie. . . . I thought I was posting as me. . . . but, Aframe is still a dork. . . :sun:sun:sun

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 15:39
Nina,
Go. . . enjoy. . . it's your life. . . . it's your trail while you're on it. . . . have a great time. . . . .:sun:sun:sun
That was me also. . . . woops. . . . :p:):sun

aframe
05-03-2009, 15:44
i was going to argue, but then i realized i'm studying a book with sentences like "the secretion of thyroid hormones from stores within luminal colloid is initiated by elongation of microvilli on follicular cells and formation of pseudopodia."

so... yes. i am. but you don't have to be so mean about it.

aframe
05-03-2009, 15:44
and i was going to call you out on posting as vonfrick, but just this morning i posted as ryan207. oh dear. i have nothing.

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 15:46
and i was going to call you out on posting as vonfrick, but just this morning i posted as ryan207. oh dear. i have nothing.
HA! DORK! When we gonna hike again? . . . miss you guys. . . . gonna look Ryan up at lonesome lake. . . . whatchoo up to this summer??

Pacific Tortuga
05-03-2009, 15:47
i Was Going To Argue, But Then I Realized I'm Studying A Book With Sentences Like "the Secretion Of Thyroid Hormones From Stores Within Luminal Colloid Is Initiated By Elongation Of Microvilli On Follicular Cells And Formation Of Pseudopodia."

So... Yes. I Am. But You Don't Have To Be So Mean About It.

and I Was Going To Call You Out On Posting As Vonfrick, But Just This Morning I Posted As Ryan207. Oh Dear. I Have Nothing.

Wth ?????????????????????????????????

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 15:47
i was going to argue, but then i realized i'm studying a book with sentences like "the secretion of thyroid hormones from stores within luminal colloid is initiated by elongation of microvilli on follicular cells and formation of pseudopodia."

so... yes. i am. but you don't have to be so mean about it.
Well. . . . that is fascninating and all . . . . .:p

Pootz
05-03-2009, 15:56
Nina

GO GO GO. You have plenty of time. I am also from PA if you need any help just let me know what I can do.

The rest of you. Try to stay on topic. Don't you guys have phones you could talk to each other on.

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 16:01
The rest of you. Try to stay on topic. Don't you guys have phones you could talk to each other on.
Do we need to? Is it not enough that we wish a sister hiker well? It's just a thread on just a site. Maybe you could grab your chains and locks out of your closet and tell us all how to act or else. . . .
Or maybe just enjoy folk who are revelling on a thread abut a sister hiker who is going to enjoy . . . . hmmmmmm. . . . . .

Nina
05-03-2009, 16:25
...hmmmmmm...???? should i make another name and be ananamus i don't read those big worded books

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 16:27
...hmmmmmm...???? should i make another name and be ananamus i don't read those big worded books
It's all good girl. It's a beautiful trail. No doubt if you've come to this site to ask questions. . . you'll love your hike. Enjoy it Nina. . . . I can't imagine it's less than what you are looking for. . . .:sun:sun:sun

Nina
05-03-2009, 16:28
aframe - thank you for the encouragement about the no money thing that is how I would have to prepare I borrowed a pack I think my dad has a bag I can use I have an old marlboro tent I know how to improvise I think I can!

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 16:30
i think it's the "need to go" part

That - is what most of us understand - and HOPE that it leads us to what we seek. . . . enjoy Nina:):sun:):sun:):sun

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 16:31
aframe - thank you for the encouragement about the no money thing that is how I would have to prepare I borrowed a pack I think my dad has a bag I can use I have an old marlboro tent I know how to improvise I think I can!
I had the great fortune to hike with Aframe for most of Maine, she is a great girl and her words are spot on. . . . :sun:sun

Nina
05-03-2009, 16:35
I thought all that special gear stuff was a little much anyway,but it did start to scare me and I didn't think I would really have to filter water I mean if you get it from a spring that's what people buy in a bottle "spring water" I do think that all I've heard about not using cotton and jeans and stuff makes alot of sence but I can bargain shop and even good will and I think I'm gonna go.. ??

traildust
05-03-2009, 16:37
go from harper's north. We started in June and had plenty of time and we were only hiking on average two miles an hour. Go.

Nina
05-03-2009, 16:39
That - is what most of us understand - and HOPE that it leads us to what we seek. . . . enjoy Nina:):sun:):sun:):sun WOW! now you made me almost cry again

Nina
05-03-2009, 16:45
Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You !!!!!

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 16:49
Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You !!!!!
It's your hike girl. . . . enjoy. . . . you'll know more about what you seek than when you leave. . . .:sun

Nearly Normal
05-03-2009, 18:27

I dub you Ananamus!:rolleyes:

Nina
05-03-2009, 18:42
I dub you Ananamus!:rolleyes:
?????????????????

Nearly Normal
05-03-2009, 21:31
?????????????????

I think its a good trail name:cool:
but I'm only nearly normal:eek:

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 08:25
I thought all that special gear stuff was a little much anyway,but it did start to scare me and I didn't think I would really have to filter water I mean if you get it from a spring that's what people buy in a bottle "spring water" I do think that all I've heard about not using cotton and jeans and stuff makes alot of sence but I can bargain shop and even good will and I think I'm gonna go.. ??

One trick I've learned for clothing is to go to the outfitters and look at the material used in their clothing and then go to wallyworld or somewhere cheaper and buy clothes made of the same stuff.
I was at REI, EMS and Dick's this weekend and the shorts they were selling for between $28 and 45$ you can get elsewhere for $8. Same with socks, pants, T's, etc.
And I got a zero degree bag at Dick's a couple years ago for 40$ - which for the extra pound or so is well worth saving at least 200$ for the same rating on a little lighter weight bag. As far as tents - you can find them online much cheaper.
Packs are the item you actually should go try on and learn how to fit to your frame. But you can get a really decent lighter weight one for less than $150 at about any outfitter.