PDA

View Full Version : NOBO vs. SOBO

Nina
05-03-2009, 17:49
I was wondering if anyone had any comments about the differences between hiking from maine to georgia vs. hiking from geogia to maine and also flip flop I guess it's a matter of oppinion but I know nothing and have no opinion

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 17:53
Well, you've opened Pandora's Box again for sure, but there are many arguments either way. But if you want peace, solitude, and good folk, SOBO is the way to go, you'll meeet the Nobo's along the way and find the Sobo's here and ther at the end of the day as you hike south.
Enoy!!:sun:sun

toothpick
05-03-2009, 18:12
I don't think it makes much difference. You have to climb the mountains in either direction.

Chaco Taco
05-03-2009, 18:13
Here we go....... I really enjoyed my NOBO. Lots of great people but a fair share of oddities, packed shelters and hostels. Lots of inconsiderate people. I enjoyed the magic and the togetherness that follows your group once you exit Virginia. I would like to try a SOBO and get the solitude I hear so much about.

Chaco Taco
05-03-2009, 18:13
I don't think it makes much difference. You have to climb the mountains in either direction.

Have you thruhiked? Im not being an a** but there is a huge difference.

garlic08
05-03-2009, 18:41
I pondered it long and hard before my thru, and went NOBO mainly because I didn't want to be hiking into the winter and shorter days. I didn't like the discontinuity of a flip, also the additional travel expense. Good luck in your decision.

Nina
05-03-2009, 18:52
I didn't even think about the cost of flipping. I also don't like the idea of stoping halfway and kinda starting over. It's funny the very first thought of a thru-hike I thought start in the north and go south as it gets colder.????

warraghiyagey
05-03-2009, 18:55
Yup. . . logistically if you go south you are following the seasons. . . . :sun

Ramkitten
05-03-2009, 21:52
I only hiked Georgia to Maine, so I can't honestly compare the two, just give my reasons for going the way I did. One was the start time. I wanted to go end to end beginning in early spring, so that realistically meant south to north. I wanted to do a one-way trek, so that meant not flip-flopping (although, I don't THINK I actually even thought about it before my hike and wasn't even aware of the term). I was honestly looking forward to company along the way, so the potential for "crowds" didn't deter me ... and I actually rarely encountered anything I could call a crowd. Maybe it was just my timing, I don't know. Also, I liked the idea of finishing on Katahdin. I'd just seen SO many photos of happy hikers leaning on, sitting on, kissing, hugging and otherwise expressing their affection for that sign, I wanted a picture there, too. It would be neat to try the trail the other way, though. :)

Alaskanhkr23
05-03-2009, 21:58
Im going SOBo from the border of Ct never did it so Hope its fun

wcgornto
05-03-2009, 22:02
Check out the Southbound Forum for good threads on this subject, including this one in particular:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18198

Kanati
05-03-2009, 22:04
Also, I liked the idea of finishing on Katahdin. I'd just seen SO many photos of happy hikers leaning on, sitting on, kissing, hugging and otherwise expressing their affection for that sign, I wanted a picture there, too. It would be neat to try the trail the other way, though. :)

Come to think of it, I've never seen a photo of anyone finishing the trail at Springer. I know they exist but I do not recall any.

fiddlehead
05-03-2009, 22:34
The main difference is crowds. If you like them, go NOBO, if you don't, go SOBO

The other big difference is the start. Maine and northern NH are the hardest. Also the 100 mile wilderness is right at the beginning for a SOBO. Meaning, you have to have some skills and be in somewhat better shape for a SOBO hike. (NOBO'ers are often newbies with little to no experience)

Besides that, it is the starting time. NOBOers generally start early spring, SOBOers early summer.

The only bummer about a SOBO IMO is the finish is not nearly as spectacular. But, many flip flop anyway so that would make it a moot point.

I would highly recommend the SOBO (having done both) BUT, you'd better work out on a step machine or steep mountains before you start, or you're gonna be in pain.

Hope that helps. Have fun, whatever you do!

fiddlehead
05-03-2009, 22:41
Come to think of it, I've never seen a photo of anyone finishing the trail at Springer. I know they exist but I do not recall any.

Here's one that's been on whiteblaze for some time now (2,600 hits)
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/fiddleheadpa/xspringer.jpg

Alaskanhkr23
05-03-2009, 22:41
I cant wait to leave SOBO this fRIDAY

Chaco Taco
05-03-2009, 22:45

Good luck, and have fun!:sun

Alaskanhkr23
05-03-2009, 22:47
HELLO MR.TACO u WANNA COME?

Chaco Taco
05-03-2009, 23:56
HELLO MR.TACO u WANNA COME?

Uhh, no thanks.

Lone Wolf
05-04-2009, 05:12
I was wondering if anyone had any comments about the differences between hiking from maine to georgia vs. hiking from geogia to maine and also flip flop I guess it's a matter of oppinion but I know nothing and have no opinion

SOBO is a better experience

hammock engineer
05-04-2009, 05:52
SOBO is a better experience

Good advice from the only posted that has done both.

I'll have to admit that when I get around to hiking the AT again, too many things I want to do in the mean time, I might go north to see the difference.

Marta
05-04-2009, 06:38

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=202739

Lone Wolf
05-04-2009, 07:12
Come to think of it, I've never seen a photo of anyone finishing the trail at Springer.

for SOBOers it's about walking and enjoying. NOBOs are into photos, certificates and validation

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 07:13
for Soboers It's About Walking And Enjoying. Nobos Are Into Photos, Certificates And Validation
:). . . . . . .

Nina
05-04-2009, 10:36
I like the idea of avoiding crowds but at the same time I'm afraid to be in the 100 mile wilderness alone or anywhere at night in the woods for that matter. I am counting on
the fear to slowly disapate after a few nights, but I know I will spend a couple terrified.

traildust
05-04-2009, 10:46
nothing to fear Nina. either way its the experience.

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 10:50
for SOBOers it's about walking and enjoying. NOBOs are into photos, certificates and validation
Love how you stereotype Wolf, great job!

Engine
05-04-2009, 10:51

I have often contemplated which way to go. I love the thought of Maine in the fall, but I can do that as a section hike anytime. Getting to know a group of hikers and interacting with them for months would be cool, but I'm not into crowds and that seems to be the case for the first few months NOBO. I don't particularly enjoy blackflies and to go SOBO means (I think) that I would have to deal with them much more so than on a NOBO hike, but that is only a small percentage of the total trip. Overall, it would seem to me that SOBO is the better option. I can always do a NOBO later if I still wanted to try it after we get our PCT and CDT hikes completed.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 10:51
Up yers NOBO. . . .

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 10:52
Up yers NOBO. . . .

Suck it SOBO

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 10:53
I am counting on
the fear to slowly disapate after a few nights, but I know I will spend a couple terrified.
No fear from the 1st night on girl. . . you'll be in good company. . . you'll see . . . . :sun:sun

Engine
05-04-2009, 10:55
I like the idea of avoiding crowds but at the same time I'm afraid to be in the 100 mile wilderness alone or anywhere at night in the woods for that matter. I am counting on

Nina,
Have you been out overnight before? If not then I suggest a few overnighters to get used to it and that will be one less concern for you when you start the actual thru hike. The night can be one of the coolest times to be on the trail. Once you embrace the reality that there is nothing out there in the dark that's not there in the daylight, and it doesn't mean you any harm, it's great to lay in your bag and just listen to the night life.

Gray Blazer
05-04-2009, 10:56

Stereotypers are ignorant!

Nina
05-04-2009, 11:17
Nina,
Have you been out overnight before? If not then I suggest a few overnighters to get used to it and that will be one less concern for you when you start the actual thru hike. The night can be one of the coolest times to be on the trail. Once you embrace the reality that there is nothing out there in the dark that's not there in the daylight, and it doesn't mean you any harm, it's great to lay in your bag and just listen to the night life.

Not in the wilderness, only campgrounds.

Nina
05-04-2009, 11:23
I do plan on an overnight hike, and then a week long one before I go. I just know I'll be awake all night with my eyes poping out of my head and I just hate that feeling, but thats the only way to get rid of it.

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 11:34
I do plan on an overnight hike, and then a week long one before I go. I just know I'll be awake all night with my eyes poping out of my head and I just hate that feeling, but thats the only way to get rid of it.

Tylenol PM

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 11:35
If you're headed SOBO, that's not such a bad deal. . . . the song og the Loons and the stars will be your comfort. . . .

hammock engineer
05-04-2009, 16:49

You won't be alone unless you want to. I only spent 1 night alone in the wilderness. Other were supposed to join me, but had to stop short for an injury. Tons of kids camp groups going through there in June and July. I was amazed by the number of roads, day hikers, and people in the wilderness.

Two Tents
05-04-2009, 16:50
I had planned to go north but had to move to SOBO due to work. Now after all the planning and prep. it does not seem as important. The fact that I am going- just going is the real beauty.---Two Tents.

hammock engineer
05-04-2009, 17:03
I had planned to go north but had to move to SOBO due to work. Now after all the planning and prep. it does not seem as important. The fact that I am going- just going is the real beauty.---Two Tents.

In all honesty that is why I went south instead of north. I was trying to finish up grad school but couldn't in time. In retrospect school wise I should have left and finished when I got back. In retrospect hiking wise I'm glad things turned out the way they did.

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 17:21
I could try SOBO. Think it would be cool:-?

Blissful
05-04-2009, 21:10
Hurray for Marta!!

I'm looking forward to at least attempting a SOBO in 2011 if it works out with my job, family etc (still not sure yet, but hoping it will). It should be a good but tough experience, as the toughest part of the trail awaits you right off the bat (the black flies of Maine, he he, oh yes, and the trail itself)

warraghiyagey
05-05-2009, 06:50
I could try SOBO. Think it would be cool:-?
Yup. . . you got a SOBO spirit. . . enjoy :sun

JAK
05-05-2009, 07:47
I like the idea of ending at the Big K, but I also like the idea of going SOBO because going on an adventure in the direction outbound from home seems most natural to me, especially when its the first time.

I think the solution for me is to first do a hike from my home to Mount Carleton by some route other than the IAT, then the IAT to the Big K, then if I ever get a chance to do the AT, SOBO to Springer. Probably not thru. I'm currently a weekend and week hiker, but might get a chance for a big section to Mt.Carleton this summer. Perhaps a combination paddle/hike or bike/hike.

jersey joe
05-05-2009, 09:07
I like the idea of ending at the Big K,
Agreed JAK, Katahdin was an awesome way to end a thru hike.

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 09:32
No doubt. One of the common discussions I had with SOBO's was the fact that you have an anticlimactic ending going SOBO. But I would loveto have the solitude

Blissful
05-05-2009, 09:37

Very true. Excellent place but wild.

Now I would like the simple, home, woodsie feeling and accomplishment to end at Springer.

JAK
05-05-2009, 09:45
I've never climbed the Big K, though I dropped someone off at Katahdin Stream once. That was enough to give me the hunger. I am torn between doing it myself this Spring/Summer as a day trip, or doing it at the end of a good long hike, perhaps from the IAT direction. Also haven't climber Mt.Washington yet. Almost did it by car last Fall but I'm really glad it was closed that day, as I really thing the first time should be on foot. Might do a hut this year also. My wife and I climbed Mt.Carelton years ago as a day trip, but of course it is only half the height of Katahdin, and even less that in terms of distance and elevation gain, because I'm pretty sure the Mt.Carelton hike starts at a higher elevation. Still lots of great hiking up there and around here. The Big K can wait until the end of a decent hike, or maybe not. Daughter is getting older. That will dictate the urgency of things for me more than anything else in the next 10 years. So we will just do as much as we can this year, and not worry so much about my own personal druthers.

Almost There
05-05-2009, 11:25
If most people had to climb Katahdin to start their hike then alot more would quit after the first day. We joked about it last summer in the Wilderness quite a bit while it rained every day.

fiddlehead
05-05-2009, 12:21
No doubt. One of the common discussions I had with SOBO's was the fact that you have an anticlimactic ending going SOBO. But I would loveto have the solitude
Another plus for finishing at Springer is that it's easy for friend's and family to meet you and wait for you at the finish.

You can even sit on the grass there without getting a fine!

No rangers!
No rules.
Shelter within a mile.
Parking lot within a mile.

It's all good. Just different.

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 14:17

That is one day that I will never forget:cool:

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 14:18
Another plus for finishing at Springer is that it's easy for friend's and family to meet you and wait for you at the finish.

You can even sit on the grass there without getting a fine!

No rangers!
No rules.
Shelter within a mile.
Parking lot within a mile.

It's all good. Just different.

No doubt, my family was big in my thoughts. Would have been cool to have them there!!!

hammock engineer
05-05-2009, 15:48

I didn't think finishing at Springer was anticlimactic at all. It was the stopping point to where I hiked across the country. It is what you want it to be. I loved it just as much as I would have loved finishing at Katadin.

hammock engineer
05-05-2009, 15:51
If most people had to climb Katahdin to start their hike then alot more would quit after the first day. We joked about it last summer in the Wilderness quite a bit while it rained every day.

I wonder how many northbounders that drop out early would drop out after the first day in Maine. I had to laugh when northbounders were telling me how hard GA was. It was hard because you were starting. Maine was hard because it was hard, made better by we were just starting. I like to think it of thinning the herd right off the bat.

Analogman
05-05-2009, 15:58

Best wishes for a safe hike and remember, it's about the journey, not the destination.

Nina
05-05-2009, 16:53
SOBO July 7th YAY!!! I"M GOING!! I"M GOING !!! YAY!!!

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 17:16
Best wishes for a safe hike and remember, it's about the journey, not the destination.

True words!

leeki pole
05-05-2009, 17:32
Blackflies are overrated. Can't be any worse than yellow jackets or fire ants. So sayeth the redneck. Go SOBO.:D

Marta
05-05-2009, 19:39
Katahdin is an amazing place to start a long hike. If you start in the normal SOBO starting time, you're seeing it at the height of summer, with alpine plants blooming all around.

warraghiyagey
05-05-2009, 19:43
Katahdin is an amazing place to start a long hike. If you start in the normal SOBO starting time, you're seeing it at the height of summer, with alpine plants blooming all around.
:sun:sun:sun

rickb
05-05-2009, 20:38
I wonder how many northbounders that drop out early would drop out after the first day in Maine. I had to laugh when northbounders were telling me how hard GA was. It was hard because you were starting. Maine was hard because it was hard, made better by we were just starting. I like to think it of thinning the herd right off the bat.

I can see dropping out in a relatively plain, uninspiring stretch of trail that is really very forgettable.

But dropping out when Maine is all around you?

If you do that, then you might as well take up sailing.

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 21:15
Last year, 21 of 23 days were downpour in Maine for SOBO's. They mentioned the numbers of people dropping out were incredible.

warraghiyagey
05-05-2009, 21:16
Last year, 21 of 23 days were downpour in Maine for SOBO's. They mentioned the numbers of people dropping out were incredible.
The hostels did a hell of a business though. . . .

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 21:17
The hostels did a hell of a business though. . . .
Thats good!

warraghiyagey
05-05-2009, 21:20
We hiked from Katahdin to Franconia Notch last summer. . . minus the massive amounts of rain we likely would've made it to Dalton. . .:mad:

hammock engineer
05-06-2009, 06:07

Close to that in 07. I think 7 of the 10 days in the wilderness were rain. A lot past that. My favorite was when it was raining just hard enough to get wet and not want to wear rain gear, but not hard enough to keep the mosquitos away.

Wouldn't you say that if they dropped out that early, then they were going to quit anyways?

Marta
05-06-2009, 06:54
In '06 it rained in Maine every day in June. July was pretty nice, though, weatherwise.

My unofficial statistics showed that a pretty high percentage of starters dropped out right off the bat. My "hiking partner" quit on day one, part of the way up Katahdin. There were a substantial number of knee injuries which had people off at Katahdin, White House Landing, and in Monson.

I don't know how it compares to the number of dropouts in Georgia. I suspect it's a similar percentage.