PDA

View Full Version : How sunny is the AT?

Trailbender
05-03-2009, 18:21
I will be hiking for 3 months starting in May, and am wondering how sunny it will be. I will start at Springer. I wear pants and long sleeve shirts as I generally burn easily, but was thinking of hiking in panties instead of pants to save some pack weight. Also, would I need sunscreen and sunglasses?

Chaco Taco
05-03-2009, 18:22
I will be hiking for 3 months starting in May, and am wondering how sunny it will be. I will start at Springer. I wear pants and long sleeve shirts as I generally burn easily, but was thinking of hiking in panties instead of pants to save some pack weight. Also, would I need sunscreen and sunglasses?

Hiking in panties????:eek:

bloodmountainman
05-03-2009, 18:29
You will experience some intense sunlight. Long pants and light long sleeves. Don't do the pantie thing.:eek:

Nearly Normal
05-03-2009, 18:32
After viewing your gallery I vote no on the panties.

Chaco Taco
05-03-2009, 18:32
Seriously though, you are actually thinking about panties???

Trailbender
05-03-2009, 18:45
You will experience some intense sunlight. Long pants and light long sleeves. Don't do the pantie thing.:eek:

I was kidding, I consider clothing to be protective in nature, and would not venture out without full gear. Bugs, thorns, ect.

Trailbender
05-03-2009, 18:46
Hiking in panties????:eek:

Have you never seen anyone do this? It sounds like a decent idea for saving weight, long as you don't have to crawl through thick brush.

Chaco Taco
05-03-2009, 18:47
Have you never seen anyone do this? It sounds like a decent idea for saving weight, long as you don't have to crawl through thick brush.
Seen naked hikers:eek:

Chaco Taco
05-03-2009, 18:49
I was kidding, I consider clothing to be protective in nature, and would not venture out without full gear. Bugs, thorns, ect.
Well when you start a thread asking a legit question... best to throw in the joke later down the line to have the full effect:o

Tennessee Viking
05-03-2009, 18:52
Thats what happens when you live in Murfreesboro too long....being another MTSU graduate.

But I think he means jogging or biking shorts.

Starting in May, the South will start getting quite humid. The Balds you will be in direct sunlight for a couple miles. And in some areas the tree cover will be sparse. The man thing is wear a strong sunscreen and something light & wicking.

Trailbender
05-03-2009, 18:55
Thats what happens when you live in Murfreesboro too long....being another MTSU graduate.

Starting in May, the South will start getting quite humid. The Balds you will be in direct sunlight for a couple miles. And in some areas the tree cover will be sparse. The man thing is wear a strong sunscreen and something light & wicking.

I probably wouldn't need sunscreen, I have a small bottle just in case, but with a long sleeve shirt, pants, boonie hat, and long hair, as well as the fact that I grow a thick beard quick, not much of me should be exposed to the sun.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-03-2009, 19:11
I like to take GOREADY it is spf 30 and bug repellent all in one small spray bottle, I also take shades even though for the most part they are unneeded.
Btw I don't think the Panties would be a good idea, they would tear to easy when you sit on the rocks lol

Chaco Taco
05-03-2009, 21:16

Check out campmor. They have these awesome NF running type shorts with pockets. They are really light and really comfortable. I highly reccomend them for summer hiking in these parts.

Egads
05-04-2009, 07:03
Best trail for a dude hiking in panties is at Piedmont Park in midtown Atlanta not the AT.

Datto
05-04-2009, 19:28
Trailname: Thong of Spring.

Datto