PDA

View Full Version : Primus EtaPackLite

ki0eh
05-03-2009, 21:40
Anyone have any opinions on this:

http://www.primuscamping.com/product.php?id=122

I thought everyone on WB already had an opinion about everything, but I'm coming up blank so far on searching.

I'm thinking of getting one, not for a thru or long section, but for colder season or family backpacks.

If I go myself the Jetboil PCS is fine, but in marginal cold, one can't shake the canister or invert it to help things along.

(For reasons of my own I'm not inclined to go back to white gas, or forward to alky.)

Foyt20
05-04-2009, 12:23
I do not have personal experience with them, but they were on Steep and Cheap the other day, so i don't know how well they are selling, because it seems that steep and cheap gets stuff that dosnt sell that well at its original price (just an observation from myself to myself).

Seems a bit heavy and bulky, a pocket rocket or an MSR Whisper Lite may be a better choice. But with the inclination not to go to white gas that may be out.

Some further research may need to be done.

bigcranky
05-04-2009, 15:14
Do you need that large a cook pot? If so, then that's not a bad set -- especially if you can get it on SAC. But my entire canister stove cook set weighs 11 ounces, including pot, lid, stove, pot cozy, bag cozy, spoon, etc. (And my stove isn't the lightest out there, I could save 2 more ounces by applying some cash.)

If I swap my 1.4 liter pot for my 700ml mug, the total weight goes up to maybe 14 ounces.

Two Tents
05-04-2009, 16:41
I looked at it and it looks fine. I'm a stove junky so post again if ya get it and let us know how you like it.---Two Tents.

skinewmexico
05-04-2009, 18:23
I have the Etapower, and it works great; very efficient. I haven't seen the packlite, but I bet it works well. May be too heavy though.

Snowleopard
05-04-2009, 18:52
I have the 2.1 Liter eta pan which weighs about 12 oz. The heat exchanger bottom works well with a regular canister stove; water boils faster than a plain bottom pan. The reviews I've read liked the etapower stove system which I guess is just a slightly larger version -- the integrated windscreen is supposed to work very well. The only downside I see is that the EtaPackLite is heavy, 21 oz, presumably including the pan.
I don't know how it works in cold weather. For that I'll use my Optimus Nova gas/kerosene stove with my eta pan; this seems like the best winter option when you need to melt snow.
If you find a real bargain let us know, I could be tempted.
--Walter

Franco
05-13-2009, 19:21
There is a review of this stove in the June TGO (UK) magazine, done by Chris Townsend.
His conclusion is that it is a bit heavy for one at 692 g (24 oz) , but would be good for two, or (IMHO) one if you need to melt snow.
He estimated that on his trip at between 30 and 41f he would have boiled 15 L (15.85 US quarts) with one 230g cartridge. That is about 7g per 500ml (0.53 US quarts). Pretty good figures.
Franco

ki0eh
06-23-2009, 05:18
Well I did get one (coupon at REI sale and dividend applied) and took it on one overnight trip so far. Only stove for 5 people.

FAST boil time, and the igniter's already lasted longer than on my Jetboil PCS. ;)

I did have to look at the directions the first time to set it up, the windscreen/pot holder works well but it wasn't immediately obvious to me that the holders needed to be turned out.

The only wish-it-were-a-little-different thing I encountered so far is: The metal windscreen expands to its full size, then contracts to fit inside the plastic bowl liner. There is a peg that fits into a slot with two detents. I have trouble getting the peg out of either detent to move down the slot. I'm thinking the peg could be fractions of a millimeter smaller, or slot a similar fraction larger, and the system would still work but be easier to maneuver. That's a minor quibble so far, and I also have below-average hand strength and coordination which don't help either. :)

Franco
06-24-2009, 19:23
I hear that BPL will have a review on this one soon (?) . Now that I have discovered it has a pre-heat tube (meaning you can invert your canisters) I am interested...
Franco

Franco
06-24-2009, 19:26
Here is a video demo on it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRgXWI3MX2w (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRgXWI3MX2w)
Franco

wahoo
08-07-2009, 10:39
I've got a video demo from the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market, and am working on a hands-on video as well. Seems like a pretty good stove so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxXweDT9I9E

ki0eh
08-10-2009, 08:28
Found out last weekend in high summer it doesn't need the windscreen to boil over too fast. :)