PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1 ****NEWS FLASH****

fullofadventure
06-11-2004, 16:56
I have been interested in this tent since the first time I saw it but after seeing the specs I was a little let down with the tents inner height (32 inches) as stated on the website. Then I saw the review in backpacker magazine say it has good headroom for a 6’ 3’’ person. I thought to myself that something is wrong with the dimensions given by Big Agnes. Well today I e-mailed them and a few hours later they replied back. WOW, now that is customer service. Anyways, it seem the info from them and all the retailers selling them is wrong. This is the info they sent me. This tent is now back to my top few tents I have to choose from.

HERE ARE THE REAL SPECS FOR THE SEEDHOUSE SL 1

Full length to the point is 90 inches (84 inches to the foot stake outs).

Head Width is 43 inches.

Foot Width is 30 inches.

Head height inside is 38 inches.

So the tent is actually 6 inches longer to the point than stated and 6 inches higher inside. This is a big difference in over all usable space I bet. I bet a lot of people passed on this tent due to the wrong specs being out there.

Happy
06-12-2004, 00:08
Check Trailjournals.com A Thru-hiker Is Carring One This Year.

maxNcathy
02-16-2006, 10:51
Yesterday I bought this tent for $159. at rei outlet.
I think it will be worth its weight in gold or more.
Max

Almost There
02-16-2006, 12:32
If you're six foot two I would go with the two person version. I have watched people not quite six foot climb in and out of these and it's a good fit for them. Anybody bigger is gonna have a tight fit.

wilderness bob
03-08-2006, 23:19
I carried the Big A last year on my hike. I highly recomend it When it comes to choosing a tent I said to myself I want to be able to get dressed in it. Just think of it this way, could I spend the day in it. The Big A you can do so comfortably, I did a nero in mine during Hurrican Catrina. Yes there is plenty of room and the bug netting was the best. It is not just the Mosquito's you need be concerned with. There are ticks, milipeds, centipeds, slugs, snails, spiders, ants, moths, and so on. Every hour spent sleeping was needed for recovery, who wants their nights rest interupted by something crawling on your face. Head nets are way to hot and any portion contacting your face is where you will be bitten. Plenty of room inside this tent for me and some of most of my gear (all of it if needed but not recommended). The back pack slipped under the vestibule or I sat it outside covered with my pack cover. Free standing lets you enjoy the nights under the stars, you can even set it on a tent platform and use your treking poles to hold the sides open (slide poles through the loops and lie the poles down on the deck). On hot nights snap your rain fly on and pull it back off the top (if it is hot and it looks like rain). If rain starts, it only takes seconds to make it water tight. With the fly on, pull the sides down to the ground if it is too cold to keep the wind out (cover with leaves at ground level for more insulation). The tent does keep the humidity in so after you settle in, turn out your headlamp and in time, open the front to let out the heat. I even placed the headlamp on at my feet to draw the bugs to the light to get them away from the front so I could open it. Use the lamp inside and kill all bugs that may have slipped in. One other hint, bring foam ear plugs. Snoring neighbors is one thing, the mosquitos become so loud they will keep you awake. Trust me on that one WB, class of 05