:)Anybody use 1 of these tents. what are pro's and con's. thanks

Chaco Taco
05-03-2009, 23:57
put up a link

Egads
05-04-2009, 06:22
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47

Light & roomy. Roof is seamless.

I owned the Lunar Solo and gave it away due to sag & water issues. My son has the Lunar Duo and reports no similar problems.

sparky2000
05-04-2009, 10:26
The fact that it has a floor and netting and is very Light is good. It does take experience to realize how to pitch the tent so that it breathes ok. I like it!

HeartWalker
05-04-2009, 16:54
Great tent! Highly recommend.

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 22:06
It looks sweet. May look into one.

Colter
05-04-2009, 22:17
For what it's worth I have a Lunar Solo and I really like it and think it's a great design. Here's a couple of reviews (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=9391&cat=Shelters%20-%20Single%20Wall%20Tents&cid=16) of the Duo.

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 22:46
Sounds like a great tent. I have never heard anything bad about Six Moon design

gregor
05-05-2009, 09:05
just ordered one yesterday for my planned two person trips this summer. I've got a TT rainbow for solo stuff, but the lunar duo seems great for two. Just wondering how to break up the weight since there are no poles. Maybe stakes, tyvek, and spreader bars in one pack and the tent body in the other. I couldn't find another 2 person tent that was sub 3lbs and had enough space for 2 6+ foot 200 lbs guys, two doors and some vestebule space. This tent looks great, and unless there is heavy rain condensation shouldn't be much of an issue with all the venting options.

10-K
05-06-2009, 12:46
just ordered one yesterday for my planned two person trips this summer. I've got a TT rainbow for solo stuff, but the lunar duo seems great for two. Just wondering how to break up the weight since there are no poles. Maybe stakes, tyvek, and spreader bars in one pack and the tent body in the other. I couldn't find another 2 person tent that was sub 3lbs and had enough space for 2 6+ foot 200 lbs guys, two doors and some vestebule space. This tent looks great, and unless there is heavy rain condensation shouldn't be much of an issue with all the venting options.

This is one awesome tent.

I'm 6'3 and my son is 6'2. We can both fit in the tent comfortably with our packs in the corner (inside the tent) and our boots in the vestibules.

Even though I have a lunar solo as well I never use it - even when I hike by myself I take the duo because it's worth the extra pound to have all that room. Like sparky said, it took me a week or so to figure out how to pitch it just right but even when I was just getting used to it it wasn't really a problem - just took a few nights in it to fine tune things.

ChinMusic
05-06-2009, 12:54
Even though I have a lunar solo as well I never use it - even when I hike by myself I take the duo because it's worth the extra pound to have all that room.

I have the Lunar Solo as well (and I like it) but I would go with the Duo if I had it to do over again.

I prefer to tent instead of using shelters. If one prefers to use AT shelters the Duo would be over-kill.

10-K
05-06-2009, 14:16
I have the Lunar Solo as well (and I like it) but I would go with the Duo if I had it to do over again.

I prefer to tent instead of using shelters. If one prefers to use AT shelters the Duo would be over-kill.

Yeah for sure... I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with the solo - it's a great tent too. It's just that the duo has so much more room for such a small difference in weight that I prefer it.

Like you, I'd rather tent than stay at a shelter.

DaleTr
05-06-2009, 14:56
Any current owners of the duo care to offer opinion on:
which weight of floor is best, regular or ultra-lite ?
would you recommend seam sealing yourself or paying mftr the $30.oo?
preference to color? t/y in advance

ChinMusic
05-06-2009, 16:01
Dale - I'm a Solo owner but it's basically the same thing.

Floor: Get the regular for sure and do not worry about a ground cloth. The ultra-lite floor is just too fragile IMO

Sealing: I did it myself without event but would prob pay for it next time.

Color: Green for me but I really don't care. You prob should plan on adding a bit of reflective tape to the tent as it can be hard to find at night. I damn near got lost one night after taking a pee. Maybe they have addressed this since I bought.

DaleTr
05-06-2009, 16:24
Thanks Chin. G/F and I need a 2 man tent. Appears I hastily purchased a Hubba a few months back for solo trips. For same weight I could have much more room. I am spending 6 days on trail in CT late June solo so I think I will take your recommendation and let mftr seamseal and buy regular floor. Color really doesnt matter to me either. Maybe grey is for visibility and green for stealthing. Read somewhere the other day to leave a light on in the tent to aid locating tent in the dark but I always wear my only lamp taking that late night pee break. I will probably just change guys to reflective. Thanks again.

Stormennorm
05-06-2009, 16:51
I thru hiked last year with the dou. Its nick name on the trail was the condo lol it is so big. bigger than any 2 man i ever seen and lighter than alot of the double wall 1 mans. I have the Ultra lite floor no rips snags anything and i use tyvek for a ground cloth. We never got wet even in a few really bad storms. Never had any problems if i was to hike again with another person i would use this again for sure. My self i dont like seam sealing and would pay to have it done. I also have the gatewood and if i went solo i would take that. Never had any problems with SMD. They are great people and will also costimize stuff for you if you want.

10-K
05-07-2009, 05:25
I have the regular floor and don't use a ground cloth - don't know about the other floor....

I bought the green one and paid to have it sealed. I've been in some torrential, long lasting downpours and never gotten wet inside the tent.

It's a great tent, you most likely won't regret getting one.

Ratchet-SectionHiker
05-07-2009, 07:31
We have a Six Moon Designs Lunar duo. Last weekend me, my wife, Marley (60 lb yellow lab) and Jack ( 55 lb pit mix) all shared the tent overnight in a downpour. The tent stayed super dry, no leaks at all. The tent walls are straight up enought that we didn't have to worry about them beating the condensation on us with their tails. We ordered the tent a bit late for this trip and it arrived even later. We didn't have the time to seam seal it or even set it up before we left. Me and my wife set it up in less than 15 minutes and that will be half as long next time. We didn't have any condensation problems at all with one side vestibule staked out and the other side allowed to drape down (to keep out the driving rain). All in all great tent, built well, easy to cram in its stuff sack even when wet.

-I would do like you said and have one person carry the two small spreader poles, stakes and other tent accessories while the other carries the tent.
-We have the regular floor and have had no problems with it even with dog nails in the tent
-We opted for the option to seam seal it ourselves but it hasn't been dry enough here for over a week to set it up outside and do it.
-We also chose the gray color, the green looks kinda sickly to me.

gregor
05-07-2009, 12:49
I just got mine yesterday after ordering monday and it's a really nice tent.

As for the floor the standard floor is nice and heavy duty. I have a tarptent rainbow which i believe uses the lighter weight floor material, and with that i plan on using a tyvek ground cloth all the time unless i'm setting it up on grass, which doesn't happen all that much. The Lunar Duo on the other hand has a floor that feels solid. I don't think i'll need a ground cloth with it. So the heavier floor adds 3 oz, but a ground cloth would add at least that much.

Seam sealing, do it yourself. Save the 30 bucks. I've got the silicon and mineral spirits sitting around, so cost is zero. There are relatively few seams on this tent. And there are no seams at critical areas where leaks would even drip on you. All of the seams are around the edges, and if there was a leak, the water would probably just run down the mesh and not get you wet. Not saying to not seamseal it, but just saying it's not a hugely critical skill, and if you screw up a little bit you will probably not even notice it.

Tent was set up last night, in a few minutes. a few more messing with tension trying to get it taught. Have to say it was really easy, and thats without any instructions because, well i'm a guy. Only thing i found out later was i had my hiking poles a little too high, but will probably leave it like this most of the time unless there is heavy rain, or maybe i need to try and trap a little heat. It's a great tent, packs up small, and weighs next to nothing. Can't wait to get it out in the woods and put it through its paces.

DaleTr
05-07-2009, 19:19
Well, I took information you all provided and ordered a regular floor grey tent last night. Wish I had ordered a few days earlier as I am heading out to the Va/WV border with a group this weekend and they are calling for rain. Would have been a great test. I am looking forward to the tents arrival. Have a steal of a deal on a Hubba if anyone is interested. Paid like $175.00 about 6 weeks ago and used it 3-4 nights. Will sell for $100.00. WB wont let me post under gear for sale until I have 30 post and this is only my 11th. Can't blame them. Prevents Ebay users from just hopping off and on.

Chaco Taco
05-17-2009, 22:46
We have a Six Moon Designs Lunar duo. Last weekend me, my wife, Marley (60 lb yellow lab) and Jack ( 55 lb pit mix) all shared the tent overnight in a downpour. The tent stayed super dry, no leaks at all. The tent walls are straight up enought that we didn't have to worry about them beating the condensation on us with their tails. We ordered the tent a bit late for this trip and it arrived even later. We didn't have the time to seam seal it or even set it up before we left. Me and my wife set it up in less than 15 minutes and that will be half as long next time. We didn't have any condensation problems at all with one side vestibule staked out and the other side allowed to drape down (to keep out the driving rain). All in all great tent, built well, easy to cram in its stuff sack even when wet.

-I would do like you said and have one person carry the two small spreader poles, stakes and other tent accessories while the other carries the tent.
-We have the regular floor and have had no problems with it even with dog nails in the tent
-We opted for the option to seam seal it ourselves but it hasn't been dry enough here for over a week to set it up outside and do it.
-We also chose the gray color, the green looks kinda sickly to me.

We visited the Six Moons tent at TD's and fell in love with this tent, What are the "spreader poles"? I didnt see anything that seems like poles.

10-K
05-18-2009, 07:50
We visited the Six Moons tent at TD's and fell in love with this tent, What are the "spreader poles"? I didnt see anything that seems like poles.

The tent comes with 2 spreader poles. A spreader pole is like a regular tent pole but it's curved instead of straight. Once the tent is erected, you insert the spreader poles into the roof of the tent (There is an insertion point for them in the roof) and when they are in place it gives the tent a sort of a dome shape creating mucho head room.

Make sense?

Ratchet-SectionHiker
05-18-2009, 08:12
Yeah it just adds a bit of rigidity to the top of the roof over the vestibules and puts that nice little arc in the roofline. Without them the roof would come to a point over your hiking poles and could leave to stress damage later on in life. You know you enjoy your own gear when you drool over things you already own! I spent a half hour looking at the Duo at traildays as well. Again I am glad I went with the grey instead of the green!

gregor
05-19-2009, 12:40
Had this tent out over the weekend for the first time, and it rained on us pretty darn hard. There was definitely time when i thought i'd have to worry about misting. I'm pretty confident that the "misting" is condensation being knocked off the tent by the heavy rain on the outside. that being said, i didn't get any condensation even though there were two people in the tent, temps around 50 and raining all night so the tent was closed up.

If you do need to seam seal the tent, pay extra close attention to any of the guyout points, or attachements for the doors. There were two spaces i got some drips over the night, they just dripped onto the mesh and ran down that, but it was the little elastic loops that hold up the door when rolled up. I've got to hit those spots again with some silnet before my next trip.

Also bring some extra stakes and guylines. The wind was pretty gusty and changed directions on us. we needed to get out and attach a few more guylines to help the tent from deforming too much.

For the first time out with a tent like this, i was very pleased, learned a little bit about how/where to pitch it and have confidence that the shelter will keep me dry in the future.

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 15:49
So i am at a crossroad. Have no tent now with the bear eating the corner. Think we will just go for it. Love the weight and the feedback about it. Here we go!

rp1790
08-26-2009, 16:39
Just wanted to say I have this tent and used it for 9 weeks on the AT this year. Although I probably only pitched it a dozen times I have also used it for several nights hiking in New Zealand since. The tent is on the whole awesome, so light and roomy. But, I have a lot of condensation issues, so much that my sleeping bag will usually get quite wet when it gets cold.

I'm wondering how everybody adjusts the tent to prevent condensation as not many others complain about that?

I've tried lengthening the straps at the 4 peg down points so there is lot's of gap, which creates a breeze but I still get lots of moisture..

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 17:03
Just wanted to say I have this tent and used it for 9 weeks on the AT this year. Although I probably only pitched it a dozen times I have also used it for several nights hiking in New Zealand since. The tent is on the whole awesome, so light and roomy. But, I have a lot of condensation issues, so much that my sleeping bag will usually get quite wet when it gets cold.

I'm wondering how everybody adjusts the tent to prevent condensation as not many others complain about that?

I've tried lengthening the straps at the 4 peg down points so there is lot's of gap, which creates a breeze but I still get lots of moisture..

I wondered that too. i always have moisture issues in winter no matter what tent I have.

ChinMusic
08-26-2009, 17:39
I wondered that too. i always have moisture issues in winter no matter what tent I have.
Poor conditions = condensation. It is a fact of life.

With a single-wall tent there is nothing to keep you from touching the water....a double-wall tent just artificially makes the inside smaller by placing material (mesh) between you and the water. I do not find this worth the weight. Usually the simple act of using a camp towel to wipe the sides will suffice. On nights with condensation I will wipe down the sides several times, as I wake up. It's just a part of my routine.

The Lunar Solo is just not that long and folks, over say 6'2", are going to have a hard time keeping the foot of their sleeping bag from touching the side of the tent. With most quality bags this is not a big deal but it is a down side.

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 19:01
Yea condensation in colder weather is just something I have gotten used to, so I carry a Sham Wow type product to wipe the inside of the rain fly.

So I got the last Lunar Duo on Clearance with a footprint for $35 cheaper than if I had bought it later.
SO I have read reviews about the need to have it set up perfectly and must be on flat ground all the time for it. Now I aint looking at ever having perfect conditions. My current tent has condensation and is a great tent but it a heavy damn tent. Ill take condensation over an extra 3.5 pounds. This is going to change everything. I feel like this move has taken me further into being lightweight and closer to Ultralight. Base weight is now at 12.5 pounds. Damn Thats awesome

ChinMusic
08-26-2009, 19:06
You should like the Lunar Duo. You and 3 of your buds can now play bridge in comfort......it is HUGE.

Chaco Taco
09-03-2009, 16:03
Just got mine in the mail today and cant believe how big it is. Really nice. How can I keep it from being so slippery (floor and tyvek) rubbing together

rpenczek
09-03-2009, 16:54
Add beads of silicone (caulk) to the tent floor to keep you from sliding around in it or add dots (all over the place on the floor) or thin the calk out and paint big Xs on the floor.

themadgaffler
09-15-2009, 08:49
does this tent require hiking poles to pitch it? i see it says dual hiking pole support.

bigcranky
09-15-2009, 09:52
does this tent require hiking poles to pitch it? i see it says dual hiking pole support.

Yes, it requires two poles. If you don't use trekking poles, SMD sells tent poles you can use with this tent.

We really like our Lunar Duo.

themadgaffler
09-15-2009, 12:14
yeah i dont use trekking poles, but this looks like a great option to replace my outdated kelty gunnison 2 that weighs 5.5 pounds. looks like it may have a little more room for me and the wifey too, thanks.

ChinMusic
09-15-2009, 12:24
yeah i dont use trekking poles, but this looks like a great option to replace my outdated kelty gunnison 2 that weighs 5.5 pounds. looks like it may have a little more room for me and the wifey too, thanks.
I use trekking poles but would seriously consider the Duo even if I did not.

sbhikes
09-15-2009, 15:37
Recently got a Lunar Duo. It looks pretty big on the outside, but sleeping in it felt really small. I think someone was hogging the whole tent. Thank goodness I at least have my own door to get out.

DaleTr
09-15-2009, 20:33
I love this tent. VERY roomy. Can roll up front and back and vent to a totally airy tent or zip down vestibule lines for 2 large vestibulles that can be easily adjusted to the current weather conditions. Tent will keep you dry while weighing mere 2 lb 3 oz. strongly recommend.

GeneralLee10
09-15-2009, 21:56
Do any of you that own a green one have some pics to link? So I can see what shade of green it is please. Thank you

Cool AT Breeze
09-15-2009, 22:08
It's OD green

sbhikes
09-15-2009, 23:48
It's bright green kind of like the color of this web site. On the web site, the lunar solo is the green color. http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/Shopexd.asp?id=36

bigcranky
09-16-2009, 07:08
We set up the green one at an outfitter. Sat inside for a while. Realized that the green color would be extremely unappetizing when actually trying to live in the tent. It's translucent, very close to the color of green on this page. Made me wanna puke, but YMMV.

Speakeasy
09-29-2009, 17:53
I'm sure this is a silly question but I don't have any experience with single wall tents. How is the protection against bugs? I have a mosquito phobia to the extent that I "police" my tent every night before I go to sleep. However, the double wall (rei quarterdome t1) weight is getting cumbersome so I'm thinking of switching...

bigcranky
09-29-2009, 18:53
The Lunar Duo has a floor and full bug netting. No problem with bugs (no more than a double wall tent, anyway. They will get in the door if you leave it open, for example.)

Chaco Taco
10-01-2009, 21:35
We have ours all sealed up and packed for our adventure weekend this weekend. Have set it up a few times and messed around with it. Cant wait to try it out on the Art Loab

Chaco Taco
11-19-2009, 18:42
So what should I use to keep the tent floor from slidding around on my tyvek?

Could I just paint some seam sealer on the bottom of the floor??

Also anyone got any tips on how to keep the sag out of our doors? I set it up on flat ground and the doors sag just a bit no mater how many times i repitch the stakes

Franco
11-19-2009, 19:37
Door sag
There is a tiny possibility that yours is not cut correctly, but I doubt that very much. Otherwise if your tent set up does not match the one on the SMD site, well that is what I call "user error"...
If you have a subscription, there is a review at BPL with lots of pics. Note that it does have some "wrinkles" so it depends on exactly what you expect..
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/six_moon_designs_lunar_duo_tent_review.html (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/six_moon_designs_lunar_duo_tent_review.html)

Most likely your pole height is not correct ( BPL mentiones 45-47 so maybe you need the extra 2"# )..). Another possibility is that it is not guyed out correctly. The one at the ends are supposed to be at 45 degree
Franco
# silnylon when cold and or wet will stretch up to 15% so take that into account for pole height as well as guyline tension.

10-K
11-19-2009, 21:24
I hate to admit this but I'm still figuring ways to get a better pitch with mine and I've tented with it at least 45 nights.

Getting the vestibules right where they'll zip without force is my biggest challenge - I eventually get it but sometimes it takes a while.

Franco
11-20-2009, 02:25
"I hate to admit this but I'm still figuring ways to get a better pitch with mine and I've tented with it at least 45 nights."
You are not alone..
Sometime ago some took offence at my suggestion that maybe they were not pitching their tent correctly. For example have a look at the "Moment" thread where I posted a link to a video of a guy having a go at a Tarptent (some thought that it was a send up but the guy is for real...) when he obviously has not a clue on how to set it up correctly.
Even having a lot of experience with tents does not immediately help. A couple of years ago I got interested in the pyramid design, not to use it just as a "design".
So I got one from a mate (the manufacturer) and fiddled with it . For the first few times I could not get the stupid thing to sit correctly. Then I decided that maybe I needed to change my technique. Now I cannot really remember exactly what I was doing that was not correct, but something wasn't.
Same when I first set up the Sublite. On my third attempt it finally looked the way it should. Now I again don't know what I was doing wrong...
Sometime it is just the angle on the guy lines, the amount of tension, small things like that. With the TT if I see wrinkles on the floor I know that it isn't set up correctly.
Again it is possible that you are doing the best with your shelter, but I would ask someone else to have a go at it. (tarp users are provably the best bet)
Franco

garlic08
11-20-2009, 10:39
I hate to admit this but I'm still figuring ways to get a better pitch with mine and I've tented with it at least 45 nights.

I had a chuckle at this, too. Like Franco, I'm still getting better at pitching silnylon tarptents, and I've been using various designs since 2002. It always takes at least a week to get competent with every new design I try, and a year or more later I'm still getting marginally better and faster at it, after so many different conditions. So much has to do with site selection, too, and staying away from areas where you know dew will form.

One good tip I got from one of the manufacturers is to pitch it as tight as you can before you get in for the night, and again if you have to get up and pee, or if you wake up to rain (in some designs you can do this without getting outside, a real nice feature). You will not harm the fabric by pulling it real tight. The stakes will give out first. Otherwise, the fabric will loosen up with lower nighttime temp and higher relative humidity and you'll have a wet sagging mess in the morning. (In one early design I tried, the side ventilation would close up everytime it sagged a little, which made things even worse.)

Chaco Taco
11-20-2009, 12:31
SO what kind of sealer can I put on to keep the floor from slidding around on the tyvek. Sorry you guys just trying to get my question answered instead of talking about tarps

Chaco Taco
11-20-2009, 15:46
Just put 4 rows of X's on the bottom of the floor and attached grommets to my tyvek. Think that will work! No more slippage hopefully

ChinMusic
11-20-2009, 16:01
I have the LS (regular floor) and haven't noticed the floor being slippery. I use a BA Air Core with no footprint or Tyvek inside the tent.

I do roll around a lot while sleeping and WILL tend to move downhill if I'm on any kind of slope. I try to set up with the lower ground being toward my feet and slightly to the opening. I'd rather migrate to the opening than the interior where I'd come into more contact with condensation.