PDA

View Full Version : New Hostel Near Bland, VA???

FishBone
05-04-2009, 08:40
Old Man River '09 / Trailjournals.com mentioned a new hostel currently under construction / openning shortly near Bland, VA. Anybody have further info??

I'm going through that area on my section hike in early June; planning a stop in Bland.

thanks.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 08:42
I've heard Bland isn't very exciting. . . .

Nicksaari
05-04-2009, 09:04
Bland isnt very exciting in terms of resupply or trail town possibilities. theres a gas station with a small restaurant attached where all the farmers and good ol boys talk about crops and such, and a post office.
but in terms of beauty, Bland is as good as it gets for the ultimate in Va scenery. cows, hills, farms, Burke's Garden, and chestnut knob shelter, oh yeah and the davis farm campsite.
If the rumor about htis hostel is true, then i will be looking forward to staying on my long walk this september and october.

keep on truckin

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 09:05
It still sounds rather bland . . . .

Nicksaari
05-04-2009, 09:06
..but compared with the north shore (warraghiyagey) i would have to side and say that everything is blAND. do you surf at all?

hikingshoes
05-04-2009, 09:14
I dont know much about Bland,but i do know that those Farmers and good ol boys(i call the mom and pop stores)has some good home cooked meals.There the best in my book.Plus i like to give the money to the mom&pop stores to help them out.Being on the road as a pipefitter i look or ask where the local stores are.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 09:18
..but compared with the north shore (warraghiyagey) i would have to side and say that everything is blAND. do you surf at all?
Only in Hawaii. . . . and on the interwebs. . . .

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 09:20
I dont know much about Bland,but i do know that those Farmers and good ol boys(i call the mom and pop stores)has some good home cooked meals.There the best in my book.Plus i like to give the money to the mom&pop stores to help them out.Being on the road as a pipefitter i look or ask where the local stores are.
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=layin+pipe&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#

Pokey2006
05-04-2009, 09:57

Ha ha ha, he's not on the North Shore of Hawaii. But his North Shore is still awful pretty. Not bland at all...

hikingshoes
05-04-2009, 10:17
:bananaLOL,nice video and i do work 2nd shift too.lay pipe as well.lol

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=layin+pipe&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 10:19
Ha ha ha, he's not on the North Shore of Hawaii. But his North Shore is still awful pretty. Not bland at all...
I actually spent two years on Oahu and never got to see the February swells on the north shore in the daytime. 100 hour weeks:mad:
The waves here in Mass. aren't nearly as impressive. . . .

Pack Mule
05-04-2009, 22:52
Anyone moving between Bland and Pearisburg needs to check out Woods Hole Hostel. Miss Tillie, who ran it for 30 years, died, but her grandaughter, Neville and her partner Michael have taken it over and only opened it up three weeks ago having made a number of updates. Everything considered, I haven't bunked at a better hostel on the trail, and I have hit most on them between there and Springer. Find them on the web http://www.woodsholehostel.com/

FishBone
05-05-2009, 08:02
Thanks, PackMule -
I'll bet that's the one that was "under construction".
Happy Trails!

McKeever
05-05-2009, 12:24
The new bland shelter is very nice but not open yet but they might help. I've been there and it's too far to walk to but is a new brick construction with a loft. It's a very nice. You can call 919-622-5574 to see if their plans will fit with your schedule. For those who do not understand and are not educated regarding the foundation of Colonial America, the county was named after Richard Bland (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Richard_Bland), a leader of Colonial Virginia whose arguments laid the intellectual foundation for freedom and independence from the mother country.

Bland is near the coal fields and many ultra weathly mining families.

FishBone
05-05-2009, 12:38
Thanks, McKeever, for the info and the background on Bland.