PDA

View Full Version : Best Permethrin treatment???

Downhill Trucker
05-04-2009, 09:32
Looking to treat my hammock and clothing.

Want it to last as long as possible. Cheap is a plus.

Suggestions?

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 09:32
Try permethrin. . . .

JaxHiker
05-04-2009, 13:20
I've never tried the Sawyer's stuff but I understand soaking is supposed to be better. However, I've had good success with Repel Permanone. I just hang the hammock like normal and spray it down good from underneath. Just make sure you pull the material so you don't have missed spots and ensure the material is fully wet. I do 2-3 treatments letting it dry in between.

I hang whatever clothes I'm taking outside and give them a good coating also. Don't forget the boots.

Last September my friends looked like their ankles had horrible rashes from the chiggers. I didn't have a single chigger or skeeter bite. Permethrin rocks!

garlic08
05-04-2009, 14:18
I've only used the spray stuff from Campmor, only because it's easy to order and easy to apply when resupplying in town.

From what I've read so far, its half life is mainly a function of washing. When I use it, I try to only rinse the clothing in cold water, and minimize the maching washing. I'll re-apply once a month in season. Cost seems minimal to me, so I haven't looked for anything cheaper.

I agree with the above post. It's great stuff. I hiked the AT last year and didn't pull off a single tick. I went DEET-free, too.

nufsaid
05-05-2009, 08:02
However, I've had good success with Repel Permanone.

I have been using it for the last two years and it does seem to work well. I use it on underside of hammock, shoes/tops of socks, and lower portions of nylon pants.

KMACK
05-05-2009, 10:45
Does it help repel bugs from areas not covered in treated clothing...hands, neck etc.?

nufsaid
05-05-2009, 11:11
Does it help repel bugs from areas not covered in treated clothing...hands, neck etc.?

No it does not.

garlic08
05-05-2009, 16:11
No it does not.

That's my experience, as well.

Wags
05-05-2009, 16:38
anyone have success spraying the netting on their hammock and perhaps the top of their packs?

Wags
05-05-2009, 16:38
i've only ever done the bottoms of my pants/shorts, the waist area of them, my socks, and my shoes

Jayboflavin04
05-06-2009, 11:14
Am I correct in saying that the Permethrin is not harmful to outdoor fabrics....does it have any affect on waterproofing?

coldspring
05-06-2009, 11:28
I just pile gear up in the garage and start spraying the Repel Permanone. That way the overflow doesn't blow away in the wind. If it's a small item, like socks, put a bigger item like pants underneath it, don't waste the overspray. Then I sometimes put the clothing into a big trashbag. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but at $6.5 a can, I spend a lot on that stuff in a year and can't afford to waste it.

LIhikers
05-06-2009, 21:19
My wife bought a bottle of Permethrin from some on-linepet/animal supply place that we've used on our clothes. We filled a large bucket with a mixture of Permethrin and water and soaked our hiking clothes, and then let them dry out. It seemed to last for a couple of washings of the clothes and hasn't had any noticeable effect on the fabric.

Surplusman
05-07-2009, 04:38
I get cans of Permanone from my local Wal-Mart. Sometimes they're out of it, which shows that someone other than me is buying the stuff. I've used permethrin for a few years, and it's great. It may be expensive, but it's cheap insurance against some nasty diseases. As suggested in an earlier post, spray all your stuff somewhere out of the wind, where you won't be wasting any of it.

I first saw how good permethrin works when a friend of mine who hunts here in western MA used it on his clothes. Usually he was picking ticks off of his clothes for hours. After permethrin..no ticks. Great stuff.

JaxHiker
05-07-2009, 09:05
Am I correct in saying that the Permethrin is not harmful to outdoor fabrics....does it have any affect on waterproofing?
I haven't experienced any problems with it. I don't know about the waterproofing since my hammock and clothing aren't.