PDA

View Full Version : Which is better ????

Crazy_Al
06-11-2004, 23:20
Which is better Osprey Aether 60, Grregory Forester,or Gregory Z Pack ???

Pencil Pusher
06-13-2004, 01:48
The Gregory Z Pack.

stranger
06-13-2004, 05:22
There all good fitting solid packs from two high end manufacturers. Gregory has a more precise fit and better lumbar support. Osprey's tend to be more flexible and stable. Can't miss with either.

2Ply
06-13-2004, 07:54
I like my Z pack but had to add some extra padding to the shoulder straps when the weight gets around 35lbs.

Jack Tarlin
06-13-2004, 14:02
Neither Osprey nor Gregory makes junk.

But based on experince this year from having met hundreds of hikers this year in Hot Springs, a lot more in Damascus, and many more here in Harper's Ferry, I've met more folks than I can count who were unhappy with the performance of their Z-Packs.

Admittedly, most of these folks were alleged "lightweight" hikers who'd habitually overloaded their packs, but even so, I couldn't help but notice that the Gregory just didn't seem to hold up that great.

If you get a lightweight pack----Gregory, Go-Lite, etc., keep in mind that you MUST adhere to the advertised specs of the pack (or preferably, a few pounds LESS) or the pack will fall apart. As my experience in Hot Springs proved, sometimes this can take only 3 weeks.

stranger
06-16-2004, 07:45
Jack brings up a good point: don't overload your packs. Most ultra-light materials are far too thin to hold a stich well, so if you load up your pack beyond what companies recommend you will have "blow outs" on critical seams. Most ultralight packs are designed to be light first, then everything else that makes a pack comfortable (fit, foam density, suspension) comes second.

I have used Gregory for years and never had a problem with durability. But I've steered away from any ultralight pack designs. I have a 1995 Reality, 1996 Shasta, 2001 Makalu and 2004 Reality. All are in great condition considering their use. The oldest and most beaten, the 1995 Reality, has about 1,700 miles on it and still looks great other than some foam breakdown which is natural in any pack.

Saying that, I have heard of problems with the G and Z packs, here and elsewhere, so the lighter packs are obviously less durable.

bunbun
06-16-2004, 14:10
Neither Osprey nor Gregory makes junk.

But based on experince this year from having met hundreds of hikers this year in Hot Springs, a lot more in Damascus, and many more here in Harper's Ferry, I've met more folks than I can count who were unhappy with the performance of their Z-Packs.

Admittedly, most of these folks were alleged "lightweight" hikers who'd habitually overloaded their packs, but even so, I couldn't help but notice that the Gregory just didn't seem to hold up that great.

If you get a lightweight pack----Gregory, Go-Lite, etc., keep in mind that you MUST adhere to the advertised specs of the pack (or preferably, a few pounds LESS) or the pack will fall apart. As my experience in Hot Springs proved, sometimes this can take only 3 weeks.

Jack's got a good point here - if you're gonna go "lightweight", then don't try to cheat on the weight cause the pack isn't made to handle that extra 10# of goodies that you just can't live without.

Personally, I kinda like Gregory - probably because I used a Gregory Reality for 2 thruhikes plus a lot more miles. I figure mine has about 6000 miles on it - and it could well make another thruhike or two. But it's heavy (80 oz for 4000 cubes)

At this point, I use a ULA P2 - it weighs in at 40 oz for about the same size. But then, my pack weight (dry weight) runs around 16# - not the 40-50# that some people seem to think is necessary. If I were doin' 40#, I wouldn't be using the P2 - I'd go back to the Reality.

If I were in a buying mood right now, I'd also have to look at the Six Moons Design pack. It's in the same weight/price/capacity range as the P2. It's also DEFINITELY a "lightweight" pack.

Bottom line - figure out what gear you're gonna carry BEFORE you try to figure out what to put it in. Buy the pack to fit your gear rather than buying the pack and then stuffing it with everything but the kitchen sink. When you buy the pack - take the gear you're gonna carry on the trail (including food and water) into the store - and use your own gear to test the pack with rather than the sand weights they so nicely provide. Sand and pillows don't pack or carry like "real" gear does. Finally - if the pack isn't right in the store - it won't get any better on the trail.

All that being said - you'll do what everyone else does - whatever "you" want to do. :)

Which is exactly as it should be :jump

Mr. Clean
06-17-2004, 06:30
I wanted to look at Gregory and Osprey packs but couldn't find the Osprey. After trying many other packs, I bought the Forrester and love it. I walked around the store for a half hour with weight in it and eyeballed it to see if it would fit my gear (it does). It would have been better to take the gear in and make sure it fits.
There is something to be said for buying a slightly heavier pack since the really light ones just can't hold up as well. If you are getting a pack that will get a lot of abuse, I would recommend not getting a light-weight one. I'm sure there will be some disagreement but that is my two-cents. I carry about 35 - 40 lbs total, and the Gregory feels like nothing at all.