PDA

View Full Version : Boots and Sandals

PR Man
05-04-2009, 09:59
We are beginning a section hike of the AT this Wednesday.

We are all "teched up" and I am confident we have the proper equipment.

However - I am really struggling with my decision about Boots / Hiking Sandals.

I have worked hard to keep my pack weight down ( it is about 35 lbs including food )

I am planning to wear Merrill Phaser Peak boots. I really like them. They are comfortable and provide plenty of ankle support.

I am absolutely sure the trail will be very wet and there will be lots of rain.

As a consequence - I am also carrying a pair of "hiking sandals". Again, I really like the sandals and they are very comfortable.

The problem is this - - both the boots and the sandals are heavy.

I feel like I need the sandals to hike in (at least part of the time) because I don't want to hike in wet boots for extended periods. I keep reading how many people have blister problems because of wet boots.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I am not really a nervous person. I may be over analyzing this.

Maybe I should just chuck the sandals and quit worrying about it?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

FYI - this is the first time I have posted WhiteBlaze - so be nice !

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 10:09
Welcome:welcome

Now, ask yourself, do you really need both? What kind of sandals are you carrying. If they are Chaco's then obviously I say take those. You want to look at this. When you are wearing sandals, you should wear them as much as possible before your hike to get your feet broken in and to make sure you want to hike in sandals. Boots in the heat will make your feet sweat. If you are taking camp shoes, just get a light pair of flops at the dollar store. No need in carrying both boots and sandals.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 10:11
Umm. . . you already bought your footgear so if funding is an issue, kinda hard to turn back. . . . but if not. . . some lightweight mid ankle (for support) trail runners are great and maybe just croc type shoes for at camp can delete a couple pounds and be much easier on the feet/joints. . . :)

PR Man
05-04-2009, 10:12
Thanks -

Yes - the sandals are Chaco's.

Do you think that makes a difference?

JAK
05-04-2009, 10:13
Bring it all in the car. Do a quick shakedown hike when you get to the trailhead.
Take only one pair of shoes, either one. Leave a bunch of other stuff in the car also.

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 10:15
Thanks -

Yes - the sandals are Chaco's.

Do you think that makes a difference?

Ok here is the thing about Chaco's. If they have the toe loop, get TOE SOCKS. They will dig into the groove in between your toes. If not then you are good. You can wear socks with them for added comfort and they are your camp shoes. Chaco's are great for hiking but like I said, make sure you wear them a bunch before you hike. How old are the sandals???

PR Man
05-04-2009, 10:16
Thanks !

That is an EXCELLENT IDEA !

I think I will wear the boots and send the Chaco's forward to our first mail drop (just in case I change my mind.

PR Man
05-04-2009, 10:17
The Chaco's are brand new.

They do NOT have toe loops - and I am a little surprised that they need to be "broken in".

Your insight is invaluable!

Thanks again,

sparky2000
Hard to answer your question with out referring to the earlier question - What is a shakedown hike? For starters, 35 lbs is a lot for some hikers and not enough for others - see the confusion. Your boots are loved by some hikers, etc., etc. Some hike barefooted. The majority use hiking sneakers that are somewhat light but (hopefully) won't slip around on wet rocks and total mud paths.
Using the majority as the "right way" - your boots are on the left and your sandels are on the right. Vote with your heart and slip on the rocks, vote with your fears and slip on the mud. It's up to you!

warraghiyagey
Ok here is the thing about Chaco's. If they have the toe loop, get TOE SOCKS. They will dig into the groove in between your toes. If not then you are good. You can wear socks with them for added comfort and they are your camp shoes. Chaco's are great for hiking but like I said, make sure you wear them a bunch before you hike. How old are the sandals???
Anything that says 'Chaco' on it is dorky. . .

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 10:23
The Chaco's are brand new.

They do NOT have toe loops - and I am a little surprised that they need to be "broken in".

Your insight is invaluable!

Thanks again,

Ohhhhhhh yes they do have to be broken in and so does your foot. Its so different with new Chaco's, got a pair from them in Harpers last year and walked out in them, needless to say, my feet were in so much pain because of the stiffness and the new hard starps. Best to hike in them after a nice long break in period, IMHO, but then again, what do I know, not like Im named Chaco or anything:D

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 10:23
Anything that says 'Chaco' on it is dorky. . .

Coming from someone that has a name that i have been trying to figure out how to say for months.:banana

JAK
05-04-2009, 10:30
Anything that says 'Chaco' on it is dorky. . .So true, but not as dorky as anything that says 'ghiyag' on it.

JAK
05-04-2009, 10:31
Opps, forgot the dancing banana. :banana

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 10:32
So true, but not as dorky as anything that says 'ghiyag' on it.
Atleast my name doesnt refer to a teenage activity:eek::D

JAK
05-04-2009, 10:33
Atleast my name doesnt refer to a teenage activity:eek::DHey, 46 is the new 16. :banana

whiterockjock
05-04-2009, 12:40
I hiked 1360 miles of the AT last year (girlfriend then broke her leg) all in Chaco sandals and Injiji toesocks, never had a single problem with my feet. I am finishing the AT this summer and will ETE the LONG TRAIL also wearing Chaco sandals...no need to bring ANY other footwear...but you have to have hiked before in sandals to toughen up those feet! BTW my pack base weight is just 5.5 pounds.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 12:42
I hiked 1360 miles of the AT last year (girlfriend then broke her leg) all in Chaco sandals and Injiji toesocks, never had a single problem with my feet. I am finishing the AT this summer and will ETE the LONG TRAIL also wearing Chaco sandals...no need to bring ANY other footwear...but you have to have hiked before in sandals to toughen up those feet! BTW my pack base weight is just 5.5 pounds.
Jennfrick hikes in nothing but sandals. . . we'll be on the Long Trail starting June 24 headed north. . . hope to meet you. . .:)

Yukon
05-04-2009, 12:44
Asolo 520's and Croc's, no problems ever. There must be a lot more wimpy people out there then i thought...

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 12:45
Asolo 520's and Croc's, no problems ever. There must be a lot more wimpy people out there then i thought...
Wow. . . . what an incredibly dickhead thing to say!! Nice work!:)

Yukon
05-04-2009, 12:47
Wow. . . . what an incredibly dickhead thing to say!! Nice work!:)

I thought it might rev somebody up lol...

Summit
05-04-2009, 18:01
Anything that says 'Chaco' on it is dorky. . .Mine have a bigger "Vibram" than "Chaco" on them . . . does that make them less or more dorky? :p

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 18:04
Mine have a bigger "Vibram" than "Chaco" on them . . . does that make them less or more dorky? :p

Mines bigger:eek:

CrumbSnatcher
05-04-2009, 18:21
never buy z2 chaco's they suck! buy the z1's.
the only problem with new chaco's is the new type of sole, it is not nearly performance minded as the older ones with the terreno soles, i even got the lady at customer service at chaco headquarters to admit it! (they are more college campus than outdoor performance now) if you still have the old terreno soles you can send them in and have them resoled. but only as long as they still have material, which they are running out of! i have 3 pair lined up for my sobo hike this fall. all resoled and ready to roll... the old terreno soles stick much better.they mark and wear out faster but you won't bust your ass on a big downhill!

CrumbSnatcher
05-04-2009, 18:36
i wore midweight boots on my 1st and 2nd thru, i was always tired. my 3rd an 4th i wore chaco,s 1- z2 (which sucked)i flattened the toeloop and put my foot on top of it. and 3 pair of z1's which are much better! no camp shoes needed! and i carried socks and sealskins. no socks usually, but sometimes socks,sometimes socks and the waterproof sock. feet dry out bad with sandels wearing my sealskins even on dry days would make my feet sweat enough to put some oil back in my feet! dry cracked feet can be worse than blisters!!!

Marta
05-04-2009, 19:08
Jennfrick hikes in nothing but sandals. . . . . .:)

Every day is Hike Naked Day?

Marta
05-04-2009, 19:15
A couple of findings from my own switch from running shoes to sandals:

*Boots provide a lot of both confinement and support; shoes a moderate amount of both; sandals provide the least of each (other than going barefoot). When you wear sandals, the bones and tendons and muscles in your feet need to get stronger to provide from inside the foot what you're no longer providing outside the foot. Like any other weak body part, it takes conditioning to become strong. If you're planning to backpack in sandals, the cautious approach would be to wear sandals a lot of the time leading up to the hike, and do some pre-Hike hiking and backpack-carrying beforehand.

* Your feet are more exposed to dirt, bugs, sticks, glass, roots, rocks, and every other sort of hazard. Walking mindfully is critical.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 19:24
Every day is Hike Naked Day?
Yupperdoodle. . . .:sun:sun:sun:):)

Summit
05-04-2009, 20:16
i wore midweight boots on my 1st and 2nd thru, i was always tired. my 3rd an 4th i wore chaco,s 1- z2 (which sucked)i flattened the toeloop and put my foot on top of it. and 3 pair of z1's which are much better! no camp shoes needed! and i carried socks and sealskins. no socks usually, but sometimes socks,sometimes socks and the waterproof sock. feet dry out bad with sandels wearing my sealskins even on dry days would make my feet sweat enough to put some oil back in my feet! dry cracked feet can be worse than blisters!!!Maybe some sort of skin moisturizing cream might be the ticket? Anyone experiment with that and find a winner?

toothpick
05-04-2009, 20:34
As I was training for my trip on the A.t. I was hiking about 15 miles a week. When it was wet and muddy I would slip a par of Totes overshoes on my Merrell boot and it would keep my feet dry and toasty. Unless you step in mud over your shoes this could work. The Totes cost about $20.00 and when the rainy season ends you can discard or send them home.