PDA

View Full Version : SUPER Repetative Thread...sorry but I had to

hikergirl1120
05-04-2009, 10:10
Sorry guys but every time I read a threa about boots it makes me worry (partially because I am getting so cloase to leaving!!!). :eek:

I am leaving for my thru July 1st so I still have time and I know that if worse comes to worse I can change footwear along the way....but I would still like to start out with a pair that I am pretty happy with.

Right now I have Asolo 520's....leather, heavy and gore tex....I hear good things and bad things.

What I want is something with a stiffer sole, some thing that is going to be on the tougher side. I am partial to boots but I want the opinions of those who have more experioence than me, so good thing I am posting to Whiteblaze ;)

I am taking the last week in May to do my shakedown hike....but I am really starting to swallow the pill that these boots may not be right for me....the slow drying and weight factors are freaking me out.

I would like any suggestions....places to go to get fitted for a boot / shoe?? Anything really.

Thanks for all of your help!!!!

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 10:15
Well if you already bought the Asolo, you've invested alot. If you still have room to make adjustments, those boots are going to be sooo heavy for your feet and really hard on your leg joints.
Also, if you're going a good distance, leather and goretex take waaaaaaay too long to dry out. You get them because they will keep you dry. . . until it's a wet trail and/or raining. . . then they get wet eventually anyway and can take days to dry out. Try a light pair of non-leather/goretex and your fet will be much happier on a long distance hike.
Just my 2 cents. Hope you have a great hike.:sun

Engine
05-04-2009, 10:21
Sorry guys but every time I read a threa about boots it makes me worry (partially because I am getting so cloase to leaving!!!). :eek:

I am leaving for my thru July 1st so I still have time and I know that if worse comes to worse I can change footwear along the way....but I would still like to start out with a pair that I am pretty happy with.

Right now I have Asolo 520's....leather, heavy and gore tex....I hear good things and bad things.

What I want is something with a stiffer sole, some thing that is going to be on the tougher side. I am partial to boots but I want the opinions of those who have more experioence than me, so good thing I am posting to Whiteblaze ;)

I am taking the last week in May to do my shakedown hike....but I am really starting to swallow the pill that these boots may not be right for me....the slow drying and weight factors are freaking me out.

I would like any suggestions....places to go to get fitted for a boot / shoe?? Anything really.

Thanks for all of your help!!!!

How heavy is your pack? If it's below 30 pounds (preferably around 25)loaded including water you can do trail runners without too much trouble as long as you have no ankle issues. I like Keens, but they don't offer much arch support so I have to use orthotics with them and they end up about 15 ounces a piece in size 11 which is on the heavy side. I have heard great things about Salomon trail runners and they are supposed to be super comfy and very light. I just cannot bring myself to lay the $130 out for them when I can get Keen Ridgelines for $45. As for the Asolo boots, they make a really nice product but they are HEAVY and the leather will take until the next rain to dry out.

A good outfitter in your area should be able to fit you for something. Just remember that it's true when they saay your feet will swell during a hike and what feels right in the store might be way too small 3 days into the hike.

hikergirl1120
05-04-2009, 10:32
Well frankly I got a pretty good deal on the Asolos...like $145 or something on sale....THe thing that scares me is my toes slide forward!! I didn't notice it much in the store but I do now.

I might go to EMS tonight and talk to them about it. We only have REI or EMS around here and I find the sales people are sometimes quite lacking in the knowledge department....

Also I DO have ankle issues...they like "flop" over so that is another consideration for me.

I bought some Lowa boots that were really comfortable...I hiked Mount Greylock with them...my feet felt HORRIBLE afterwards....the soles were too light...at least I think that was the problem.

Lyle
05-04-2009, 10:33
For the vast majority of people:

Heavy leather boots = Sore feet, tired legs, BLISTERS (even if reasonably well fitted)

Trail Runners = Sore feet (but less so), tired legs (but less so), FEWER OR NO BLISTERS (even if not so precisely fitted)

Add to that the fact that your trail runners will dry out most every night except in prolonged rain and that they are cheaper, cooler and allow for more agility you have the reason that MOST hikers have switched.

Boots have become a speciality footwear not needed for normal season AT hiking.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 10:34
Toe slide = blisters (even with sock liners) = uncomfartable hike.
Your feet need to be the happiest for obvious reasons. Ankle support is provided with much lighter/ easier to keep dry shoes/boots. Hope you find the right combo for you. . . .:)

Gray Blazer
05-04-2009, 10:38
I like my Columbias-$49

Engine
05-04-2009, 10:40
Toe slide = blisters (even with sock liners) = uncomfartable hike.
Your feet need to be the happiest for obvious reasons. Ankle support is provided with much lighter/ easier to keep dry shoes/boots. Hope you find the right combo for you. . . .:)

As stated above we hope you find what works for you, but that can be a bit of trial and error. My feet often get a bit sore after all day even in trail runners. I've owned one pair of footwear in my entire life that actually felt nice and left my feet really happy after long days. Those were Nike Daybreak running shoes and they ceased production 25 years ago...it's been a fruitless search every since.

Yukon
05-04-2009, 10:43
If you have ankle "flopping over" issues I wouldn't even begin to consider a set of trail runners....

JAK
05-04-2009, 10:43
Footwear depends as much on bodyweight as much it does on packweight. If you are skinny enough you should be able to wear moccassins, but then again you should be able to get away with wearing overweight hiking boots also. Trail runners are the easiest to buy and get a good fit, and good traction, and usually not to heavy or expensive if you shop around. 12oz per pair for a size 12 isn't too bad. Girlie sizes should be lighter.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-04-2009, 10:57
I really like my columbias and I have a pair of Nikes I like. What I search for in hiking shoes light weight,durable, water resistant, breathable, semi flexible sole, soft rubber on the sole, good arch support, and nice fit, I have strong ankles so I don't look for ankle support. You say your toes slide forward in the boots, but if you are just trying them on for short periods, and early in the day, this may not be a problem as feet swell as the day goes by. I have a feeling you already knew that though and have worn them while doing yard work all day or in the park for a day out.
You also mentioned you have a month till the hike, and you have weaker angles. You have a month you could try ankle strengthening exersizes. Here is a decent link for ankle exercises http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/orthopedicsandpt/ss/anklerehab.htm I had a better one but I think I deleted it after my nephews ankle issues were alieved.

pyroman53
05-04-2009, 11:05
First, it is said is that, for boots to protect your ankles, the boots would have to be so stiff you could hardly walk. I'm not sure I agree but I'm not sure I disagree. As an old guy, I was raised on the premiss that stiff boots were a requiredment.

Second, I have a pair of leather goretex-lined boots that never get wet inside from the rain, fit like a glove, but are a bit heavy. At the end of the day, I'm beat.

I recently got some Salomon "light hiker" low top shoes http://www.rei.com/product/763464
They're sort of a cross between trail runner and boot. They have no goretex, get wet immediately, but dry within hours of the trail drying. I love these shoes and will probably never go back to my boots. I don't think my ankles are particularly strong, (may even be a bit weak). I quickly got used to my feet being wet in the rain (something I wasn't too sure of). At the end of the day, I still have some spring in my step and I'm convinced I've got more zip on the uphills. I'll probably try trail runners next. My pack usually weighs 32 pounds or less, and I do take extra care planting my feet to avoid mishaps, but the lighter shoes make that much easier.

Side benefit - I don't carry camp shoes anymore.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 11:11
I recently got some Salomon "light hiker" low top shoes http://www.rei.com/product/763464
They're sort of a cross between trail runner and boot. They have no goretex, get wet immediately, but dry within hours of the trail drying. I love these shoes and will probably never go back to my boots.

Exactly. . . .

kanga
05-04-2009, 11:27
i turn my ankles a hundred times less in my lightweight trailrunners than i ever did in heavy boots. plus even on a river trail, they're dry the next day.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 11:33
'Zactly . . . .

hikergirl1120
05-04-2009, 11:48
As far as the toe slide I really noticed it on a 6 mile "light" hike I took. I was coming down a rocky hill and I was like "OH NO!!! Red Flag!!!" From my experience so far with hiking in the Whites I know that the descent (at least for me) always beats up my feet and legs way more then the ascent and with that in mind my toes bashing up against my boots for that trip is not a pretty thought.

I am going to go to EMS tonight and check out some trail runners. I don't have an exact pack weight but I am hoping to by 35lbs or under...I am obviously doing my best to be under.

How often do you replace the "trail runners"? I mean I could always try them out and ship myself the Asolos if I decide i want them....Maybe I will try a pair of trail runners on my shakedown hike...I like th support of my boots just night the weight mainly...also I don't mind getting my feet wet as long as they dry and a few hours is obviously better than a week!!

kanga
05-04-2009, 11:52
i've gotten about 500 miles out of my merrells and a good bit of that was river trails, so they've stayed wet a long time with no poor effects. as much as it absolutely kills me to say this, my old north face trailrunners were the best i've ever had. i don't bother with nb cause the heels wear out in like 2 days leaving you with a big hole. not really sure i'd use keen long distance, but that's just bc i don't have any to abuse, but they look like sketchers to me.

Ladytrekker
05-04-2009, 11:52
I think that shoes are to personal for public opinion. I went and tried multiple shoes at multiple places. The best fit for me was the Women's Timberland Boot, it has a wide toe box and I can wear smartwool socks without being tight. I have yet to get a blister with these boots. I think you need to try on and buy the best fit for you and not what someone else says is best. I also got mine on sale for less than $50.00 and they have alot of time on them and still going. Happy hunting.

Engine
05-04-2009, 11:53
Trail runners won't last as long as heavy leather boots, but they are much cheaper to replace as well. As for the getting wet and drying out thing. In the rain there's just not much you can do, but if you are talking about creek crossing, which are rare on along the white blazes, you can take your socks off before crossing and then have dry socks to put on after shaking the shoes out upon crossing. That way your feet will remain relatively dry.

hikingshoes
05-04-2009, 11:56
hikergirl1120,i send you a IM.check the way your lacing them up.i know this sounds crazy,but it works if it is done right.and pls dont take that the wrong thinking you cant lace your shoes you right.Thanks Charles

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-04-2009, 11:57
First, it is said is that, for boots to protect your ankles, the boots would have to be so stiff you could hardly walk. I'm not sure I agree but I'm not sure I disagree. As an old guy, I was raised on the premiss that stiff boots were a requiredment.

Second, I have a pair of leather goretex-lined boots that never get wet inside from the rain, fit like a glove, but are a bit heavy. At the end of the day, I'm beat.

They're sort of a cross between trail runner and boot. They have no goretex, get wet immediately, but dry within hours of the trail drying. I love these shoes and will probably never go back to my boots. I don't think my ankles are particularly strong, (may even be a bit weak). I quickly got used to my feet being wet in the rain (something I wasn't too sure of). At the end of the day, I still have some spring in my step and I'm convinced I've got more zip on the uphills. I'll probably try trail runners next. My pack usually weighs 32 pounds or less, and I do take extra care planting my feet to avoid mishaps, but the lighter shoes make that much easier.

Side benefit - I don't carry camp shoes anymore.You suck lol j/k now I have to go buy another pair of shoes Those things look like great hikers

bigcranky
05-04-2009, 15:24
I always re-tie my shoes for a stiff downhill. This applied double when I was wearing boots, but I still do it with my Salomon trail runners. They have to be tighter to keep my feet from sliding forward and banging my toes on the front of the shoe. Then I loosen them when I'm at the bottom of the hill (which is always immediately before starting the next steep uphill -- anyone else ever notice that?)

I'll never tell anyone not to wear boots -- the trail has been successfully hiked in all kinds of footwear, and even maybe some bare feet. All I can do is provide my own story, which involves purchasing ever more stiff boots in a quest for "support" and finally realizing that very light trail runners were much, much better for *my* feet. I almost never roll my ankle any more, though I did that all the time in heavy boots. My feet and especially my quads are very happy not to be lifting that weight every step. And of course, my feet and shoes dry out much faster after a rain.

If they fit you, the Salomon XA Pro trail runner is a fairly stiff shoe. I prefer the XA Comp, which is softer and more flexible. Try on several different brands, and don't assume that you will wear the same size between brands or even models within the brand. You might bring your pack to the shoe store.

Good luck.

garlic08
05-04-2009, 17:05
I'll join in with those above who have had fewer problems rolling an ankle in trail runners than in boots. It took me years to make the switch to shoes and I'll never go back. My ankle strength and agility have both increased in shoes. When I hike with someone wearing boots, it's painful to watch the artificially forced gait and fatigue after just 10 or 12 miles.

My boots are somewhere and I still use them occasionally for wet snow around town. If you do switch to shoes, your boots just became a long-term investment--they'll never wear out.

I can push the shoes to 700 miles, but 500 is better for replacement. I get mine on sale for $50 on-line. It took several pairs to find what works for me, and unless you're really lucky, the same will probably happen for you.

For sizing, use the "rule of thumb": take the insole out and stand on it, put your heel on the back, and you should have the width of your thumb from the tip of your big toe to the tip of the insole. If you have wide feet, a few like New Balance have multiple widths.

Good luck.

hikergirl1120
05-04-2009, 20:34
Ok I went to both EMS and REI and tried on a BUNCH of different stuff. Apparently I have gigantic feet too LOL

Anyways I went with a Merrell Radius mid boot....lighter than the 520's but still supportive

I tried on 4 different kinds of trail shoes and I just don't like them. they all dug into my ankles, I am sure there is a pair somewhere out there for me but I have not found them yet.

I am going to try these new boots out for a week (end of may for my shakedown hike) and then go from there.

Thanks to all you guys for your advice....I really wanted to go with the shoes too but I guess i am just a boot girl at heart LOL!!

Engine
05-04-2009, 21:51
Good luck with them and I hope you get hundreds of comfy miles!

Jester2000
05-04-2009, 22:25
I might go to EMS tonight and talk to them about it. We only have REI or EMS around here and I find the sales people are sometimes quite lacking in the knowledge department....

REI and EMS people like to sell people boots. They're usually horrified if you tell them you're planning on hiking in, say, New Balance sneakers. Once in a while you'll bump into a former thru in one of their shops, though.

If hikingshoes was recommending the runners knot, I concur, and would recommend it for anyone who has had problems with their feet sliding forward.

The Merrell Radius is a good compromise for now. It's lighter than the 520s, it's not a full leather upper, it'll break in a lot faster, and it's got a nice fat rand in the front.

Enjoy your adventure!

Many Walks
05-04-2009, 23:01
hikergirl1120,i send you a IM.check the way your lacing them up.i know this sounds crazy,but it works if it is done right.and pls dont take that the wrong thinking you cant lace your shoes you right.Thanks Charles
Hikergirl1120, We started with Asolos too, but traded later for something lighter that dried faster. I think the theory is 1 lb on your foot is like 5 lbs in your pack. When you're in a stretch of rain your boots will be constantly wet. Once they were wet it took us about 3 days to get them dried out, then of course we'd have another few days of rain. Just the way it is on the trail sometimes so lighter quick drying boots or trail runners seem to work better.

When I read your posts I thought the same as hikingshoes noted. You will need some room in the end of your boots to avoid toe nail damage, but you don't want your foot sliding around beating up toes and causing blisters. IMO the best way to avoid that is through an appropriate lacing technique that holds your boot around your ankle and keeps your foot from sliding forward.

Google "Hiking Boot Lacing Techniques" and you'll find tons of info that may help.

Enjoy your hike!

George
05-04-2009, 23:15
after a lot of nice boots that all gave me blisters I went to good running shoes, not even trail runners, the AT is mostly very good trail

Hikerhead
05-05-2009, 00:01
Also, try a pair of green Superfeet insoles instead of what came with your boots. That should stop the foot from sliding....you may even want to add the Superfeet to what is already in the boot.

hikergirl1120
05-05-2009, 06:04
Also, try a pair of green Superfeet insoles instead of what came with your boots. That should stop the foot from sliding....you may even want to add the Superfeet to what is already in the boot.

I have the green super feet already!! I love them:banana

warraghiyagey
05-05-2009, 06:31
I found the superfeet to be way to hard so I put the factory insole on top of them and it was the perfect combo. . . very comfortable, no blisters. . . :sun:sun

Summit
05-05-2009, 07:04
hikergirl1120,
You could always start with a pair of good quality, good fitting trail runners and have a 'plan B' to maildrop your Asolos to you if they aren't working out.
The older and longer I've been hiking (35 years), the lighter I've gone with footwear. I could NEVER go back to high-top, stiff, heavy leather boots. I turn my ankles less and fall less with trail runners because I'm more conscious and cautious about foot planting (that's a good thing!).

If you have weak ankles, and you really want to enjoy lighter footwear, get a pair of trail runners now and start a daily walking routine (with some back weight if possible) and build up your ankle strength. Have a great hike! :)

Rockhound
05-05-2009, 07:56
If you're spending more than $50 you're spending too much. I just use a good ol' pair of Hi-tech boots. Cheap, durable, comfortable. 1 $40 pair can get you from GA to ME.

Rockhound
05-05-2009, 07:59
What kind of footwear did Schaffer and Espy use? Again another sign of gear companies convincing hikers they need to spend a ton of cash on the latest, greatest technology. $100-$150-$200 + for shoes? I guess there are suckers born every minute.

warraghiyagey
05-05-2009, 08:01
What kind of footwear did Schaffer and Espy use? Again another sign of gear companies convincing hikers they need to spend a ton of cash on the latest, greatest technology. $100-$150-$200 + for shoes? I guess there are suckers born every minute.
Maybe. . . but the footwear is more comfortable these days I'm sure. . .

hikergirl1120
05-05-2009, 08:50
And also I think we are more aware of the problems caused by not taking care of our bodies....I want my feet and legs to be well taken care of now so I can still climb mountains when I am 80...but that's just my opinion.

I know you don't always have to spend tons of money to take care of yourself but I do think that buying nice footwear is an investment not a splurge.

Jester2000
05-06-2009, 00:14

Hmm. Maybe. But are you going back far enough? Civil War soldiers seemed to manage to tromp around these mountains pretty well, especially the Stonewall Brigade. Maybe we should wear what they wore.

On the other hand, maybe there's been significant advances in footwear since then. And maybe there's been significant R&D by shoe companies regarding that, which maybe justifies paying a certain amount of money.

And maybe the last thing one should nickle and dime themselves on is footwear.

Hard to say, but one thing's for certain --I wouldn't presume to tell someone else how much they should spend, or that what worked for me would work for them, or refer to people I don't know as suckers.

Mainly because no one would listen to me.

bigcranky
05-06-2009, 07:21

Schaffer wore upland bird hunting boots with the heels cut off. I forget the brand. But similar boots at Cabelas go for anywhere from $75 to $250.

Oh, and he packed *sand* inside his boots to "toughen his feet." He was a manly dude who had just come back from saving the world, and not somebody you want to mess with.