PDA

View Full Version : Best AT hike near Boston

joec
05-04-2009, 15:26
I am going to Boston in mid Oct and want to do a side trip with my wife to the AT. This will have to be a day hike, so I am looking for a 8 mile or so loop with one drive day of Boston. A nice town nearby would be a added bonus. My wife would like a nice bed and breakfast after a day hike. I was thinking of Strafford Mountain(sp?) in Vermont as one option. Any suggestions appreciated.

Chenango
05-04-2009, 15:56
I am going to Boston in mid Oct and want to do a side trip with my wife to the AT. This will have to be a day hike, so I am looking for a 8 mile or so loop with one drive day of Boston. A nice town nearby would be a added bonus. My wife would like a nice bed and breakfast after a day hike. I was thinking of Strafford Mountain(sp?) in Vermont as one option. Any suggestions appreciated.

Stratton Mtn is very nice. There are many B&B's in the Dover, Wilmington, or Jamaica, Vt areas. Note that this is not a one hour drive from Boston. Might be more like 3 hours.

rlharris
05-04-2009, 15:58
In New Hampshire (about 2.5 hours from Boston):

Mount Moosilauke from Glencliff. This will get you into an alpine zone. Might be a tad cool (and windy) on the summit in mid October. Because it is isolated from the rest of the 4000 footers, it has excellent views.

Mount Cube/Smarts Mountain from either Rt 25A or Dartmouth Skiway if the predicted weather for Mount Moosilauke is not to your liking on the day of your hike.

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 17:27
Moose and Franconia!!!! Or start at Fenway and hike to Yankee stadium. You will feel more and more liberated the further you get from Fenway

wakapak
05-04-2009, 17:32
Moose and Franconia!!!! Or start at Fenway and hike to Yankee stadium. You will feel more and more liberated the further you get from Fenway

AHAHAHAHA, you're so funny.....NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

but seriously, Moosilauke in NH is a great day hike, and if you want to stay in a B&B up there, check out north woodstock and lincoln areas, which you will drive thru on the way to Moosilauke if you go there.

think0075
05-04-2009, 17:34
you should know that the closest the trail gets to boston is about 2 and a a half hour drive. Last year i didnt realize it but the closest you get to boston is in new hamshire. If your trying to hike in mass. you are going to have to drive pretty much to the western border of mass. that being said the hikes mentioned above are probably the best if you really want to see the amazing views that the AT offers.

Snowleopard
05-04-2009, 18:42
For mid October, go for foliage. http://www.yankeefoliage.com/peakmap/
Everything mentioned so far is great.
How difficult a hike do you want? Up a big mountain or a gentle woods walk?
Other options besides what's been mentioned:
Berkshires (western Mass):
Mt. Greylock (out Rt. 2, slow on weekends but pretty ride in Oct)
Taconics in SW Mass (AT and Mt. Washington State Forest, Mass) very pretty views with less rigorous climbing.
Presidential Range, Mt. Adams or Jefferson or Washington.
Franconia Ridge.
All of these are 2.5 to 3 hours from Boston. All would have nice B and Bs nearby. For foliage season, you would need to make reservations well in advance. The peak season for leaf peepers is traditionally Columbus Day weekend. If possible, do this on a weekday.
--Walter

Kirby
05-04-2009, 18:43
Franconia ridge.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 18:45
Try Mt. Greylock. . . . closest to Boston, good climb, and easy logistically to get back to your car, also the highest peak in Mass. . . . :)

joec
05-04-2009, 19:09
Thanks for all the replies. I have done a hike in Mass before and my wife and I have a goal to hike at least a day hike in all the states the AT passes through. I guess I should have mentioned that one. So we will head north. It all sounds good. To answer one of the questions, with my wife on board, it will need to be somewhat moderate in intensity, but without a backpack, we should be good to go on most of the hikes mentioned so far.

Homer&Marje
05-04-2009, 19:18

Hiking in October. Probably what the Yankees will be doing this year...again...in October....while theres playoff games to be had at Fenway.

Unless Chin Ming Wong can somehow fix that 30 + ERA and become a 20 game winner.....no....just fantasizing for you.....wait....but A Rod should be back and off the juice.....I digress

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 19:23
Thanks for all the replies. I have done a hike in Mass before and my wife and I have a goal to hike at least a day hike in all the states the AT passes through. I guess I should have mentioned that one. So we will head north. It all sounds good. To answer one of the questions, with my wife on board, it will need to be somewhat moderate in intensity, but without a backpack, we should be good to go on most of the hikes mentioned so far.
Head to Hanover, close enough and you can camp at Velvet Rocks. . . .

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 19:38
The Berkshires were awesome!

shwn354
05-05-2009, 12:33
White mtn's are closer to the city and bigger, another vote for moosilauke. Just went up about two weeks ago and the summit was sensational.

joec
05-06-2009, 13:50
I booked room in Hanover, NH last nite so that is where we are going. We will do a day hike around Hanover and on Friday may drive over into Vt to do a short one. Then on to Boston for the NCSU/Boston College football game.

Mags
05-06-2009, 14:37
Try Mt. Greylock. . . . closest to Boston, good climb, and easy logistically to get back to your car, also the highest peak in Mass. . . . :)

...and B&Bs galore in Mass and nearby VT. Williamstown is a "cute" college town that may make the Mrs happy...

In October, the weather is less likely to be an issue than above treeline as well.

I did this loop 12 yrs ago and found it to be quite nice. Take in the AT, a waterfall and some rare old growth woods in "The Hopper". At 12 miles r/t, probably about right for a casual weekend backpack. The foliage just may be awesome depending when you go in October.

http://www.wikihike.org/index.php5?title=Mt._Greylock_Via_Money_Brook_Trai l
http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~wilsonm/hiking/greylock.html

jersey joe
05-06-2009, 15:22
I too vote for Mt. Greylock. I wonder if the inn at the top is open?!?