PDA

View Full Version : An Introduction

LaurieAnn
05-04-2009, 16:02
Hopefully I have posted this in the right forum.

My name is Laurie Ann and I am from Canada. I plan to hike a section of the AT in 2011 if all goes well. I figured it best to sign up here so I can learn a little more about the AT.

So anyway... hello.

TOW
05-04-2009, 16:04
Welcome aboard Laurie Ann!

Engine
05-04-2009, 16:09
Welcome to WB :welcome.

After getting a feel for the site, do a search for HMHDI and avoid all of the confusion. It contains all of the information you might require for your planned hike. :D

LaurieAnn
05-04-2009, 16:13
Thanks guys!

Big Dawg
05-04-2009, 16:13
Welcome Laurie Ann! You've come to the right place for AT info. Have fun!!!

Two Tents
05-04-2009, 16:17
Welcome! Let the learnin commence! There is a lot of good info here. Also you'll notice quite a bit of old fashioned picking on people. But laugh and learn at the same time. Happy Trails---Two Tents

jrnj5k
05-04-2009, 16:20
welcome laurie ann! You are about to learn that theres a lot to learn about camping and that its awesome.

ki0eh
05-04-2009, 16:29
We will soon all eat better due to your presence, I think... hopefully you can get the convenience stores along the A.T. to stock Aero bars soon. :D

LaurieAnn
05-04-2009, 16:34
jrnj5k - I am already a well-seasoned hiker and paddler so camping isn't new for me. ;)

I'll be looking more at regional info and trying to decide what part of the AT to hike first... and I am sure to have lots of questions... but I'll have to take a read through the forums first.

And if anyone has cooking questions... I'll be visiting that section a bit I'm sure. I love cooking, food dehydration and the like.

Anyway - thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

LaurieAnn
05-04-2009, 16:35
We will soon all eat better due to your presence, I think... hopefully you can get the convenience stores along the A.T. to stock Aero bars soon. :D

lol - I forgot that you love those things - I'm more of a dark chocolate kind of gal myself

Blissful
05-04-2009, 17:48
Maybe I'll see you out there - I am tentatively planning to go 2011 SOBO, depending on my work, etc.

Blissful
05-04-2009, 17:49
lol - I forgot that you love those things - I'm more of a dark chocolate kind of gal myself

Dark chocolate!!! My hubby just got my dark choco covered raisins, they were great.

LaurieAnn
05-04-2009, 18:46
Blissful - you should try the Lindt Dark Chocolate with Chili Pepper - it's amazing.

Probably a silly question but... what is SOBO?

Pedaling Fool
05-04-2009, 18:47
SOBO -- Southbound

Datto
05-04-2009, 19:17
I'll be looking more at regional info and trying to decide what part of the AT to hike first...

A few areas of the AT to consider for your section hike:

Shenandoah National Park, Virginia -- the terrain is less rugged, lots of waysides (places to eat) along the way. Not much solitude. Thru-hikers come through here in June.

Springer Mountain, GA to Nantahala Outdoor Center, NC -- If you start this on April 1st you'll have lots of people for company. Inexpensive places for resupply (compared to say Connecticut). Terrain is a little challenging.

100 mile Wilderness, Maine (Monson, ME to Abol Bridge, ME) -- If you do this section in late September it'll likely be gorgeous with the fall colors, there will likely be less people and less bugs and the temps will be chilly. Quite remote for the AT -- thru-hikers come through here in September/early October.

Harpers Ferry WV to Gettysburg, PA -- If you're a history buff, this is a very interesting section to hike. If you end your hike at Gettysburg on July 1st you can visit the battlefield on the anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg (July 1-3, 1863). Thru-hikers come through here at that time too. Also, the Antietum National Battlefield is near the AT on this same stretch (about a 15 mile hitchihike from the AT) as well as the history in Harper's Ferry, WV. If you southbound into Harper's Ferry and end there, you may be able to take a train into Washington, DC from Harper's Ferry and see the US Capital, Smithsonian, Ford's Theater, White House, Vietnam Veterans Memorial. The terrain is not as rugged on this section but there will likely be quite a few other hikers so this isn't usually a hike for solitude.

Datto

Marta
05-04-2009, 19:32
Welcome, LaurieAnn. That looks like an interesting book you've got there.

Roland
05-04-2009, 19:38
Welcome to WB, Laurie Ann.

Your name sounded familiar, so I checked your profile and discovered you are indeed the author of A Fork In The Trail (http://www.aforkinthetrail.com/). That is the best wilderness cookbook I've seen. Good work!

Canada Goose
05-04-2009, 20:47
I reccommend planning to attend the Aldha Gathering of long distance hikers on Columbus Day / Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. Many WB'ers will be there, and there are lots of workshops on the AT, as well as many other trails. Here is the link:http://aldha.org/gathring.htm:D

Blissful
05-04-2009, 21:19
Oh wow I'll have to check out the cookbook. My hubby will be thrilled. :)

LaurieAnn
05-04-2009, 21:43
Hey thanks for all the warm welcomes... the hike suggestions and the compliments on the book. Book two comes out in Spring 2010 which really screws up my original plans for a hike in the US for this year or next... that's why the 2011 date.

Sadly, I've never really been past the border cities (Messena, Buffalo and Niagara Falls) so this first hiking trip in the US is going to be a bit of a big deal for me... I usually just go North.

I've been thinking of Harper's Ferry as a starting point because Bryan (the spouse) is a history nut and because my son will be 10 by then. That's a really great age for interesting stuff like history. My heart strings pull for Maine though. I'm a real sucker for Fall Colors but then I have to consider that the little one has school too. I prefer something moderately remote but really scenic... and not too challenging for my son. That said, by then he'll probably out-hike me.

I'm going to have to pick up some books and maps at some point. A friend sent me A Walk in the Woods so we are reading that to get a feel for the trail (and the forums, of course).

Thanks again.

ki0eh
05-04-2009, 21:52
How about the Bruce Trail to the Conservation Trail to the Finger Lakes Trail to the Great Eastern Trail to the C&O Canal Towpath to start the A.T. at Harpers Ferry? (Then you have to pick your direction...)

Gray Blazer
05-04-2009, 22:02
Hi, Laurieanne. Anywheres in the mountains on the AT is greAT.

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 22:08
The articles on this site are where its at!!!

LaurieAnn
05-04-2009, 22:12
How about the Bruce Trail to the Conservation Trail to the Finger Lakes Trail to the Great Eastern Trail to the C&O Canal Towpath to start the A.T. at Harpers Ferry? (Then you have to pick your direction...)

I'll have about 8 to 10 days available... I know, not much time. I think it would take me that just to get from the closet BT access to the Finger Lakes (actually I have no idea where the Finger Lakes Trail is... but your post certainly made me smile).

LaurieAnn
05-04-2009, 22:16
Thanks Gray Blazer and Chaco Taco. I'm finding the trip reports great as well.

ki0eh
05-04-2009, 22:20
Probably longer than that. Aero bar melted for sure. :)

LaurieAnn
05-04-2009, 22:23
One of these years I am going to have to meet you and give you a case of those Aero bars :D

Saint Alfonzo
05-04-2009, 22:53
Welcome, LaurieAnn. The 100 Mile Wilderness is a lovely hike in September.

LaurieAnn
05-05-2009, 16:34
Thank you. I'll read up on that too (lol - good thing I have a bit of planning time - there are a lot of great hikes on the AT from the sound of things)