PDA

View Full Version : 2 nights near NOC/Asheville

ericrhett
05-04-2009, 18:34
Any recs for 3 days/2 nights? 2 moderately experienced 30 y.o. campers with light gear. Going in early July. Would prefer higher elevations so I can use my new down bag!

Thanks!:sun
Eric

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 18:56
You can stay with Chaco and Wak. . . they'll take you anywhere you want to go and a knowledgable to the entire area. . . .

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 18:58
You can stay with Chaco and Wak. . . they'll take you anywhere you want to go and a knowledgable to the entire area. . . .

Wait a tic, damn son

callook66
06-05-2009, 06:58
asheville!! go to the wedge!! delicious!!

Gray Blazer
06-05-2009, 07:01
Do the Balds......Allen Gap to Devil's Fork Gap.

Mocs123
06-05-2009, 10:19
For July: I would definitely stay at High Elevations which really limit things for three days. You might look at the AT through the GSMNP. Newfound to Fontana is a nice 3 day trip. recomended itererary:
Day 1: Newfound to Silers Bald
Day 2: Silers Bald to Spence Field
Day 3: Spence Field to Fontana Dam

That isn't a ton of milage for three days perticularly with summers long days, but there aren't a lot of high elevation choices. If you don't mind shorter stuff, The Eastern side of the park is good too, as well as Roan Highlands. You might also look at some of the Mountains To Sea Trail. I know there are large sections of the trail around Ashville that somewhat mirror the Blue Ridge Parkway, and therefore stay pretty high in the mountains. Let me know what you decide, I am always looking for new high elevation hikes for summer.