PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have the Moab xcr's?

Panchito
05-04-2009, 21:11
So I bought the Merrell Moab xcr mids and thought they were the greatest thing ever. I wore them on three 10-14 mile hikes and loved them so I through out the receipt. I went to do the falling waters trail and got them a little wet. No the water did not come over the top and just made it above the sole. Long story short my feet were wet and these boots are supposed to be waterproof. They are NOT waterproof. Of coarse EMS wants a receipt and I don't have one. I'm pissed and not at all impressed with EMS's cust. serv. department (considering the money I've spent..... sierra trading post all the way). My point is, there has to be someone out there who has had these boots and has had their feet get wet. Please, tell me I'm not alone
:confused::(

Foyt20
05-04-2009, 21:15
Did you yourself put any waterproofing compound on them? They aren't wellies (rubber knee high boots). There is a seam between the sole and the leather that could leak. Boots are like tents, in that you should always waterproof them yourself to know it has been done well.

Panchito
05-04-2009, 21:38
Maybe I will. Do you recommend any kind of waterproofer that you can use on Goretex?

Foyt20
05-05-2009, 12:20
I dont know of any off hand. You may just be able to use boot sealer off the shelf, but your local Outfitter would be able to help with that.

This is just an opinion, I do not know if there is a waterproofer that works on GTX. Please do not hold me to any statements I made here within.

Spirit Walker
05-05-2009, 17:10
Goretex boots aren't really waterproof. It's all hype. Goretex only works when it's clean - how clean are your boots? It also only works within certain temperature parameters. Even Goretex jackets aren't bullet proof. If they were, we'd all use them. I figure I'll get wet regardless, so I'd rather get something I can afford that keeps me warm than something I can't.

The only way to have waterproof shoes is to get all leather boots and put waterproofing on them. Your feet will be miserable, but they should be dry - from the outside anyway. Sweat is another matter.

Those of us who don't wear all leather boots any more just put up with wet feet. It's not a big deal unless you're walking in snow. They'll dry.