PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Parade 2005 in Damascus

Mountain Dew
06-12-2004, 06:43
Every year there seems to be a new group in the front of the hiker parade. Some want to be there, some are asked to be there, and others just go to the front because they want to. I think next year there should be a group of trail maintainers in the front instead of a motorcyle which has nothing to do with hiking. I own a harley and couldn't figure out why one was leading us. I know cars etc. are also in the parade, but they usually serve a purpose...i.e. pangeants etc. I like the idea of including the *towns pageants and thus including the towns people in the actual parade. I'm not saying a bike doesn't belong in the parade, but can't imagine why it should be out front. Can you imagine a hiker leading a motorcycle parade ? Sounds kind of silly doesn't it. Without maintainers we wouldn't be hiking now would we.... Bob Peoples would be a great person to lead the way or better yet a trail maintainer that has been doing it for more than 30 years etc.

Just curious what other people on whiteblaze think.

Lone Wolf
06-12-2004, 06:49
Hobocentral has been leading the parade for 7 years or so. Don't be so jealous. You can join us next year if you want. But you'll be on the Talent Show committee so you won't have time for the parade. :D

Mountain Dew
06-12-2004, 07:03
That's funny...I didn't see any Hobocentral members out front except for you. I'm not jealous because I'd never want to be out front. My point was that trail maintainers should be out front instead of one lone biker in a hiker parade. The only Hobocentral member that I know at all is Johnny Reb and he's a good guy in my opinion. I know that another Hobocentral guy skipped trail days all together in protest so I suppose he wasn't up front in the parade either. What hobocentral people were upfront with you exactly ? Something tells me this question wont be answered. hahahaaa I'm not bashing Hobocentral in any way shape or form either. Lone Wolf, are you saying that a biker deserves to be in the lead of the hiker parade OVER trail maintainers ? I'd play second fiddle to those guys anyday.

Aren't you the one that HATES the talent show, but conveniantly knows every detail that has happened at them for the past 14 years ? That's like hating a tv show, but never missing an episode.

Lone Wolf
06-12-2004, 07:17
You're dumber than I thought. Look at a photo. There were a bunch of hobo "members" right behind me. There is no membership BTW. Why you so Jealous? For a future cop you're feathers are easily ruffled. Watch Dr. Phil so you don't spend a lot of time in anger management. :p To keep you from whining and crying we'll give the front spot next year to The Bills :)

Jaybird
06-12-2004, 08:30
Every year there seems to be a new group in the front of the hiker parade. Some want to be there, some are asked to be there, and others just go to the front because they want to. I think next year there should be a group of trail maintainers in the front instead of a motorcyle which has nothing to do with .....hiking......blah,blah,blah................... .................................................. ...Just curious what other people on whiteblaze think.

Hey...if i could get my motorcycle up to Damascus during TRAIL DAYS...i'd ride next to Lone Wolf on his brand new, shiny Harley....if he'd let me! :D

i count myself as an HONORARY member of HOBO CENTRAL.

Some of us hikers have other hobbies (mine: motorcycles, bicycling, computers & on & on)....that take up our time when not walkin' on the happy side of misery (http://www.ModelT.net)!

p.s. Hey L.W. did you see your photo on Model T's website? LOOKING GOOD!

Streamweaver
06-12-2004, 16:40
Hey Lone Wolf, Are they planning on bringing Hobocentral.com back ?? I miss that site! Or is that a diferent Hobocentral your talkin about?? Streamweaver

Lone Wolf
06-12-2004, 16:51
Same Hobocentral. Rat Patrol is supposed to take over the site sometime in the near future. I'll keep you posted.

Streamweaver
06-12-2004, 16:58
Thats good to hear!!(er see) Thanks LW! Streamweaver

Lone Wolf
06-12-2004, 17:08
Hell yeah you can ride in the parade with me Jaybird! Yes I checked out Model T's site. Thanks.

Jack Tarlin
06-13-2004, 15:12
Geez.....maybe I'm missing something here.

Does anyone really give a rip who leads the hiker parade?

Hikers, bikers, I mean, who really cares?

Long as it's not a Southbounder, this seems to be a non-issue.

Lone Wolf
06-13-2004, 16:33
Tell it to your buddy Dew. He seems to have a host of concerns as to how Trail Days should be run. :cool:

Pencil Pusher
06-13-2004, 18:30
So just when is this parade?

Lone Wolf
06-13-2004, 18:42
The Saturday of Trail Days starting at 2:00 P.M.

Pencil Pusher
06-13-2004, 18:47
The Saturday of Trail Days starting at 2:00 P.M.
Okay, so for Clueless in Seattle, when is Trail Days?

Lone Wolf
06-13-2004, 18:52
3rd week in May. This year it was May 13-16.

smokymtnsteve
06-13-2004, 18:53
trail days is always the same time as the mrytle bloom in the Smokies

Pencil Pusher
06-13-2004, 19:04
Thanks Steve, that was the type of answer I was expecting;) I suppose the myrtle bloom happens after the third bucksnort on the full moon of the...

Jack Tarlin
06-13-2004, 19:05
Hey Wolf---

Re. Telling it to my buddy Dew.......no, thanks. Don't have the time,the energy, or the inclination.

I'm no more responsible for his posts than you are for yours.

People that are truly concerned about the direction Trail Days is taking, whether it's the parade, the talent show, the campsite, etc., should either attend meetings before the event, or if that's impossible, which it obviously is for lots of folks, they should put their concerns in writing to the good folks on the Trail Days committee well before the event. Perhaps you, Wolf, could provide these names and contact information next winter or early in the Spring so folks with suggestions or worthwhile contributions can send them to where they'll actually do so good.

The best way people can improve or help the Trail Days celebration is to forward their concerns or ideas to the people responsible for the event, rather than debating things here, which doesn't seem to me to be particularly effective.

Lone Wolf
06-13-2004, 19:09
I will do that Jack. I may get on the committee. I went to a couple of meetings this year. I suggested the separate parking and $10 fee.

smokymtnsteve
06-13-2004, 19:38
Thanks Steve, that was the type of answer I was expecting;) I suppose the myrtle bloom happens after the third bucksnort on the full moon of the...

..I live on hillbilly time...sourwood is blooming right now.

myrtle blooms mid-may...

blueberries ready to pick on the top of smokie late august- mid sept.

Jack Tarlin
06-13-2004, 19:46
Considering Wolf's fairly unique perspective (a very experienced A.T. hiker, a resident of Damascus, and one who has experienced Trail Days multiple times as both a visitor AND a home-owner)), I think he'd be a great addition to the Trail Days committee.

Keep us informed!

Mountain Dew
06-14-2004, 05:11
L. Wolf " You're dumber than I thought. Look at a photo. There were a bunch of hobo "members" right behind me. There is no membership BTW. Why you so Jealous? For a future cop you're feathers are easily ruffled. Watch Dr. Phil so you don't spend a lot of time in anger management. To keep you from whining and crying we'll give the front spot next year to The Bills" ---I'm dumb yet you are the one that looks like kin folk of Jed Clampit and makes off the wall statements on this website saying that EVERYBODY that owns a patch, a website, stays in shelters, etc. is stupid. Do I really need to go find the threads and post numbers in each thread ? Maybe you can hurry along and remove those remarks. Just how many is a "bunch" genius ? I wasn't focused on counting hobocentral members sorry. Wolf ... "why you so jeaous ?" ---You're dumber than I thought...slide the word (are) in there genius. I'll leave Doctor Phil to the ignorant and easily fooled. Why do you feel the need to mention the Bill's when I'm not a Bill genius ? For somebody thats calling me dumb you sure are trying hard to act like a carefree motorcycle hillbilly. I saw your harley. Not impressed. It looks like a run down 1990 harley at that. I own a harley and know what one that is well kept should look like. Like you told me in another topic Lone hypocrite... " stick to the topic".

Who would you rather see in front of the parade a hillbilly, giardia mouthed biker or the true class of the A.T. ....the MAINTAINERS !

I can just see Wolf on the trail days committee now. Hundreds of hikers write and call in to the committe for the talent show to be on saturday.....Wolf's most likely response.... "nah, who cares about it we are cancelling it anyways...we need more local no name bands instead of the talent show" ...... classic

The Old Fhart
06-14-2004, 07:04
I don't see the point of this "Let's bash Lone Wolf" thread. Can LW get people riled?-yup. Can LW come on a little strong?-yup. Was there an evil plot to put LW at the front of the parade?-nope. I see nothing wrong with having LW, a citizen of Damascus, and a fellow hiker, toward the front of a Damascus parade. If he wants to ride his nice new Harley, fine. It makes more sense to put his Harley up front than in the middle of the crowd. http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3458/size/big/password/0/sort/1/cat/500
I can even understand someone getting so upset with LW that they would say lots of nasty things about him but to go on and insult his bike at length, an inanimate object, that is a little creepy. Let's insult his boots too while we're at it. Come on, there are better things to argue about.

As far as the talent show goes, where does it say that everything on the Trail Days schedule has to be for hikers? What's wrong with a bit of Trail Days celebration being for the good folks who have welcomed up into their town? If they want to have local talent to please them, I see nothing wrong with that. The world doesn't revolve around us just because we are hiking the A.T.. I say thank you Damascus, keep up the good work.

p.s. I love your bike, LW

Lone Wolf
06-14-2004, 07:05
You're a piece of work kid. Your anger is showing. :D

Lone Wolf
06-14-2004, 07:13
Gee thanks Fhart. I'll leave the bike in the shed next year now that I know it's so upsetting. :D I'll also find out why the talent show was on Sunday not Saturday and lobby to have it moved BACK to Saturday cuz we can't have no cry babies. :p

warren doyle
06-15-2004, 11:47
Depending on who is on the organizing committee for Trail Days, for several years they have picked someone to be the 'grand marshall' to lead the parade.
Nothing fancy or elaborate, just a folksy/small-town thing to do ( I was selected twice - in 1990 and 2002). The latter year had my family and I dancing down the parade route while my 83 y.o. dad (Grampy) pulled a red wagon along with the boombox and omnipresent half-gallon of ice cream.
This year it sounds like it was the year of the Harley and a free-thinker.
I hope you can become a part of the Trail Days committee LW because I feel your heart is in the right place, if not some of your words.

Lone Wolf
06-15-2004, 11:51
Yup I agree. I have a trash mouth. :)

trailangelmary
06-16-2004, 03:25
sourwood is blooming right now.

myrtle blooms mid-may...

blueberries ready to pick on the top of smokie late august- mid sept.

:clap :clap Ah! Learning something new everyday. I love it. Thank you, Steve. Excuse my ignorance, what is sourwood?
And what does it look like?

smokymtnsteve
06-16-2004, 08:46
it is a tree that bees make a uniquely flavored honey from...best honey in
the world

follow this links for pic and description

http://www.fw.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/oarboreum.htm

http://www.floridata.com/ref/O/oxydendr.cfm

trailangelmary
06-17-2004, 02:55
Thanks, Steve. Looks beautiful. So where can I get a taste of that honey.
Mary

Mountain Dew
06-20-2004, 04:03
Old Fhart... "As far as the talent show goes, where does it say that everything on the Trail Days schedule has to be for hikers? What's wrong with a bit of Trail Days celebration being for the good folks who have welcomed up into their town? --- hhmmm where is your post about regualr town members leading the parade ? :-? "hypocrisy" If they want to have local talent to please them, I see nothing wrong with that. The world doesn't revolve around us just because we are hiking the A.T.. I say thank you Damascus, keep up the good work." --- I also say thanks you Damascus and keep up the good work.
--------------------------------
(comments in general to people who have suggested L. Wolf be on the TD committee)

You support Lone Wolf being on the TD committee ? Do you also support doing away with the talent show ? He does ! Do you support one group leading the parade EVERY year just because it has been done for 7 years ? He does ! Do you support him leading the parade over the Trail Maintainers ? He does. I admit in theory he would be a great choice to be on the Trail Days committee, but the fact that he couldn't care less that *99% of hikers want the talent show to be on saturday and would do away with it if left up to his vote says that he DOES NOT listen nor care about what the vast majority of hikers care about in regards to trail days. Lone Wolf... I will say that it was a good idea to charge for parking, but then again common sense is free.

Lone Wolf... Don't associate me with groups I have don't personally claim to be with. Although, being called a "Bill" is a huge compliment. You even hung out with us at Billville this year. I respect Ratman and Johnny Reb way to much to slam Hobocentral as a whole, but don't get me started on a couple of it's members. It would be a pleasure.

Looks like just another topic not being followed but rather strayed away from. Oh well...

Lone Wolf
06-20-2004, 08:16
You sure do get wound up on unimportant issues. :rolleyes: I don't support doing away with the talent show. I've already talked with powers that be to have it moved back to Saturday. As far as the parade, nobody but you seems to give a s**t who leads it. I won't be in it next year just to appease you honey. Ya know, you're more of an Ahole than me. :cool:

The Old Fhart
06-20-2004, 10:09
post #31
Mountain Dew-"Old Fhart --- hhmmm where is your post about regualr town members leading the parade ? :-? "hypocrisy"

I guess I should have mentioned that the hikers are at the very end of the parade after the fire, police, rescue, Miss Damascus, all the other town and county representatives, etc., etc.. It is just that anyone who was has been to any of the parades understands the hikers are at the final part of the parade. I thought you said you were at the Trail Days parade so I am somewhat surprised that you would bring up such a non-issue. The discussion is about the hiker part of the parade and whether LW deserved to be there. Sorry if everyone else and my postings didn’t state the obvious that we are only talking about the last part of the parade. This would include your posting #1 where you say: “Every year there seems to be a new group in the front of the hiker parade. Some want to be there, some are asked to be there, and others just go to the front because they want to. I think next year there should be a group of trail maintainers in the front instead of a motorcyle which has nothing to do with hiking.”

Instead of trying to imply that others are hypocrites for talking about the hiker part of the whole parade, when you yourself have done the same, maybe you should make your real intentions as clear as you did in a previous post when you said: “Who would you rather see in front of the parade a hillbilly, giardia mouthed biker or the true class of the A.T. ....the MAINTAINERS !” Don’t use your intense dislike of LW (and your jealousy of his nice new Harley) to drag others into your hatred. As much as Lone Wolf and I can argue, I’d be proud to march with him in the parade, be it in the front (oops! hiker part, not THE front), or at the back of the parade.

MOWGLI
06-20-2004, 10:53
I would say that the trail maintainers are probably too busy maintaining trail to lead a silly parade. It takes place on a Saturday. Saturday is a very valuable day to a volunteer. That is my .02 based on extensive work with trail volunteers here in the southeast. Anyway, next years parade will take place 6 weeks before the ATC's Biennial Meeting in Johnson City, TN. Many of the maintainers will be busy planning for the conference. It takes a lot to pull off a successful conference of this size.

http://www.southernhighlands2005.org/.

The ATC meeting is a great way to get involved with any number of Trail Clubs that help to maintain the trail, and protect the trail corridor from encroachment. Get involved! Then, if you want, you can lead the parade in 2006.

Little Bear

Mountain Dew
06-20-2004, 17:28
Old Fhart... I called what you were saying "hypocrisy" because you go on and on about Lone Wolf being at the front of the parade and then turn a 180 and say how the locals should be at the front of the parade. You also backpeddle and try to emply that you two should hike side by side at the "hiker" front of the parade. Maybe that's a double standard instead of hypocrisy, you pick. The hikers are at the very end of the Parade ? You are full of crap. The last two years that has NOT been the case. Look at the photos and see for yourself. There was the Hobocentral and then tons of hikers last year before ANY town person in the parade. Hopefully you haven't fallen into the same catergory as several others on this site and resorted to making facts up in order to safe their argument. From what I've seen of your post I doubt you have. Usually you stick to the facts with your posts and Lone Wolf himself even compared us together, but this time you seem to not care about reality, but rather kissing his ass at all cost.

Old Fhart.. "Instead of trying to imply that others are hypocrites for talking about the hiker part of the whole parade, when you yourself have done the same" --- I never implied nor think that so where you got that from is beyond me. Stop assumming, it seems too difficult for you. AND...o.k. I admit it's a harley and just about any harley is cool to me, but to blindly label it NEW for the sake of your argument is juvenile and lame. The fact that somebody owns a motorcycle shouldn't be important enough to lead a parade. Get a hold of reality. I own a 2003 harley and in no way did it ever cross my mind that owning it made me important enough to lead a parade. :D

smokymtnsteve
06-20-2004, 17:32
The whole hiker parade thing is silly..

Lone Wolf
06-20-2004, 17:54
...Talent show too.

Mountain Dew
06-23-2004, 05:20
Lone Wolf ... "I don't support doing away with the talent show."
Lone Wolf- "Time to phase it out."
Thread:Trail Days Talent Show , Post 28

Are you lying or have you changed your mind in the last few months ? I'ts always a pleasure going back and finding things you've said in past threads that you now deny. If I was you I'd claim drunkeness since you admit to drinking while on Whiteblaze.

I applaud the fact that you NOW want the talent show to be back on saturday. Looks like you can listen to the masses. Remember when you said that somebody that has a website and owns a patch are just feeding their ego's ? Me, Attroll, sgt. rock, one leg, hobocentral, the ATC etc. are so guilty in your eyes of that huh ? I wanna see you back peddle without falling over.

Lone Wolf
06-23-2004, 05:43
Whiteblaze, Sgt. Rock's Hiking HQ, ATC, Hobocentral are informational websites where folks can share ideas and gain info and entertainment such as reading you're rediculous rants. :rolleyes: On the other hand, YOU'RE website is all about YOU. Self-serving. "Look at me, I hiked the AT. Pure too." So have thousands of others you EGOmaniac. :)

ga>me>ak
06-23-2004, 08:04
Kill your television................and this thread, pleaseeeeeee.

Mountain Dew
07-27-2004, 02:49
When faced with the facts of your own words you takea turn fast. Classic comedy there. Do I also need to show the post where you bashed EVERYBODY you just listed in your last entry ? .......hahahaaaa you are an easy target chubby. Do they call you "Lone" wolf because you are so repulsive to be around or because with you in the room noone else can fit ? :banana

Lone Wolf
07-27-2004, 08:58
Such a pathetic little boy.

chomp
07-27-2004, 11:19
Can we make a rule NOT to dredge up old threads just to bash someone?

A-Train
07-27-2004, 11:22

I guess, but then there wouldn't be much to read on this site :)

tacode
07-27-2004, 12:04
Ya know...someone is coming across like a huge a-hole, and it's not L.Wolf...

Just an observation, mind you.

MOWGLI
07-27-2004, 12:04

That would be nice!

Mountain Dew
07-28-2004, 03:51
what is the definition of an "old thread" ... hhmmm

tacode ... what's that saying... "birds of a feather..."

greenman
03-28-2005, 20:41
hey,

much love to hobocentral!i think i am gonna puke!
mairnt,
greenman:D