PDA

View Full Version : Outfitter's on the AT

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 00:39
I have had this conversation with a few hikers and am curious as to the opinion of other WBer's. What is your favorite Outfitter on the AT or in the towns along the AT?

Im a big fan of Bluff Mtn in Hot Springs

Alaskanhkr23
05-05-2009, 00:42
Yeah Chaco ,where the nearest Outfitter's the resupply southbound from NY border i dont really know to much about this trail

Alaskanhkr23
05-05-2009, 00:43
to resupply i meant

phillycheze
05-05-2009, 00:47
Yeah Chaco ,where the nearest Outfitter's the resupply southbound from NY border i dont really know to much about this trail

get a guidebook like the app. pages or the thru-hikers handbook.
mines in the other room or i'da looked it up for ya.:banana

Alaskanhkr23
05-05-2009, 00:49
yeah i got one of those Guidebooks

phillycheze
05-05-2009, 00:51
just check it. it'll tell ya.

Alaskanhkr23
05-05-2009, 00:54
yeah i dont like that thing,but ill keep trying to understand some of it

The Mechanical Man
05-05-2009, 02:02
Cabela's in Pa., it's an amazing place, you could spend an entire day here. :welcome

Located just 1 mile South of the AT trailhead, on Pa RT 61, near Hamburg Pa.

Give them a call at (610-929-7000), for ride, open 7 days a week.

Did I mention the in store restaurant and deli, with a "killer" menu?

see ... http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/aboutus/retail-detail.jsp?detailedInformationURL=/cabelas/en/content/community/aboutus/retail/retail_stores/deli/delimenu.html

zoidfu
05-05-2009, 02:06
Cabela's has car camping stuff, not hiking stuff... unless we're talking about a few clothing items

The Mechanical Man
05-05-2009, 02:48
Cabela's has car camping stuff, not hiking stuff... unless we're talking about a few clothing items

................ever been there??

We are talking about visiting the real Cabela's "OUTFITTERS" only a mile from the AT, not just some hunting ad you may have got in your mailbox.

Cabela's PA store really has everything, from sturdy hiking shoes and boots, to lightweight hikers,foam pads, petzl headlamps, sleeping bags, tents, freeze dried foods, stoves, fuel, and not just car camping stuff, ............................. anything, and more than a hiker might want while passing thru Hamburg Pa for sure. :sun

The place is a wildlife museum, zoo, aquarium, and tourist attraction combined.

The Mechanical Man
05-05-2009, 02:59

Negative feedback does no good here, this is not a debate thread last time I checked.
Stop putting down others folks favorite outfitters, and just answer the question.

What is YOUR favorite outfitters along the AT, or in the towns along the AT?

zoidfu
05-05-2009, 03:40

We are talking about visiting the real Cabela's "OUTFITTERS" only a mile from the AT, not just some hunting ad you may have got in your mailbox.

Cabela's PA store really has everything, from sturdy hiking shoes and boots, to lightweight hikers,foam pads, petzl headlamps, sleeping bags, tents, freeze dried foods, stoves, fuel, and not just car camping stuff, ............................. anything, and more than a hiker might want while passing thru Hamburg Pa for sure. :sun

Yeah, you just named the handful of low end items that are actually relevant to hiking... I guess you could consider it an outfitter for hiking if you're impressed by the 40 sq. ft. devoted to hiking out of the available billion sq. ft. inside. Sorry, but I'm not impressed with synthetic sleeping bags, mountain houses, headlamps or anything else that you can get at any walmart for 3/4's of the price. I also challenge you to-

A. Find an employee

B. Find one that actually knows something about gear

It's a nice place to visit once for an hour, possibly an hour and half... if you're into seeing stuffed animals(Zoos actually have LIVE animals), paying 10 dollars for a burger and fries, and are into seeing fish that you can catch out of any body of water up here... Anyway, they have the space and resources to be the best outfitter on the trail but they barely even try. It's simply not their demographic for the most part.

zoidfu
05-05-2009, 03:46
Negative feedback does no good here, this is not a debate thread last time I checked.
Stop putting down others folks favorite outfitters, and just answer the question.

What is YOUR favorite outfitters along the AT, or in the towns along the AT?

Why, because you say so?

But if you really want to know- The Doyle. Pat and Vicki are top rate people, the food is excellent and I like being outfitted with a backpack full of beer- A gear buy that I never regret.

I also like the outfitter at NOC. They hooked me up and I felt like I was the only person in the place even though it was packed.

Lone Wolf
05-05-2009, 04:11

i've been there and it's a good 4 miles from the AT

Engine
05-05-2009, 06:03
Mountain crossings. The selection at Mountain Crossings isn't huge, but I think that is because they don't sell crap they don't believe in. The items they have are top notch and the prices aren't the cheapest but they are fair. I kinda wish they were a bit further up the trail so I wouldn't be there 2 days after Springer, but lots of folks got to complete a thru hike they would not have finished if it was any further.

I now it's a good distance from the trail, but I stepped into an outfitter in Dawsonville once that I was really impressed with also. I cannot remember the name but they treated me like I was the most important person who ever stepped in the door.

hammock engineer
05-05-2009, 06:47
He just openned a couple years ago, not sure if he is still there, but Ye old backpacker put us up at the outfitter and took us to a good grocery store. Same spot as Cabela's but can't remember the name. Think maybe port clinton.

Hooch
05-05-2009, 06:54
I'm a big fan of Mount Rogers Outfitters in Damascus and Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs.

Gaiter
05-05-2009, 08:25
The Doyle. Pat and Vicki are top rate people, the food is excellent and I like being outfitted with a backpack full of beer- A gear buy that I never regret.

I also like the outfitter at NOC. They hooked me up and I felt like I was the only person in the place even though it was packed.

wow i'm kinda shocked, a zoidfu comment that compliments someone? who knew such thing was possible??

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 09:28

Yea we had to hitch to it from the candy shop in PC. It isnt too far just on a really busy stretch of road. Its allgood

Blissful
05-05-2009, 09:30
Rockfish Gap Outfitters in Waynesboro by far. Excellent, too, with warranty issues.

Blissful
05-05-2009, 09:32

You can get things like canisters, bug repellent, socks, insoles, etc. For major items like sleeping bags and tents, no. I made out good there for simple stuff.

Blissful
05-05-2009, 09:35

I'm not sure on these as I didn't stop there, but there's supposed to be a few small outfitter-type places at Delaware Water Gap (DWG). I did see 2 of them. Depends on what you want to resupply I suppose.

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 09:37
I'm not sure on these as I didn't stop there, but there's supposed to be a few small outfitter-type places at Delaware Water Gap (DWG). I did see 2 of them. Depends on what you want to resupply I suppose.

Yea the smaller one near the church hostel has some stuff. They carry alot of stove stuff and Golite gear. Not to bad.

Johnny Thunder
05-05-2009, 10:15
I really like the outfitter in Daleville...but, then again, I like everything about Daleville. Sometimes when I'm home (and lonely) I'll call up local Real Estate agents in Daleville. It makes me feel at ease.

Oh, Daleville.

Joking aside...the outfitter in Daleville has everything you'd need by the time you get there (North or South-bound). A wall of boots. Bunch of polyester clothing. Packs. Bags. It's next to a stupid-good grocer (possibly the best on the trail) and will run shuttles back to the Home Place if you've passed it on a day it was closed.

Chaco Taco
05-05-2009, 11:04
I really like the outfitter in Daleville...but, then again, I like everything about Daleville. Sometimes when I'm home (and lonely) I'll call up local Real Estate agents in Daleville. It makes me feel at ease.

Oh, Daleville.

Joking aside...the outfitter in Daleville has everything you'd need by the time you get there (North or South-bound). A wall of boots. Bunch of polyester clothing. Packs. Bags. It's next to a stupid-good grocer (possibly the best on the trail) and will run shuttles back to the Home Place if you've passed it on a day it was closed.

Agreed:banana Oh Daleville

tenbeer
05-05-2009, 13:22
The outfitter you refer to in Daleville Va. is called Outdoor Trails, and the propiertor is awesome. I drive thirty miles to use his services. He has a place in Lynchburg Va. also

zoidfu
05-05-2009, 23:28
wow i'm kinda shocked, a zoidfu comment that compliments someone? who knew such thing was possible??
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/zoidfu2_bucket/takingabow.jpg

Elder
05-05-2009, 23:33
The outfitter in Dawsonville GA is Outside World. :D
Brent and Eva are new parents. (Sorry no details..:o

Wags
05-06-2009, 00:31
He just openned a couple years ago, not sure if he is still there, but Ye old backpacker put us up at the outfitter and took us to a good grocery store. Same spot as Cabela's but can't remember the name. Think maybe port clinton.

yup scott is still there. he moved down the road closer to the AT now. he's a block behind the peanut shop "yeoldebackpacker"

tons of osprey packs, some granite gears, darn tough socks, food/ice cream/sodas/shuttle services/fuel

in fact, he recently told me he's getting some of the WM line bags :o i'm terrified that if i actually see one of these famed bags all new on the shelf i'll walk out of there a poor, poor man

about the only thing i didn't dig about his store is his lack of shoe selection

The Mechanical Man
05-06-2009, 02:48
Yea the smaller one near the church hostel has some stuff. They carry alot of stove stuff and Golite gear. Not to bad.

Edge Of The Woods Outfitters, call Chuck and Rachel at (570-421-6681).

Great folks , here is the Website....

http://www.edgeofthewoodsoutfitters.com/home.html

Undershaft
05-07-2009, 14:14
My favorite is the Outfitter in Harper's Ferry. What a cool store! It's very small, but they have a good selection of gear, and their prices seemed reasonable compared to other outfitters I've been to. The staff is very friendly and accomadating to long distance hikers. Plus it's only a couple hundred feet from the trail.

Chaco Taco
05-07-2009, 14:29
Rockfish Gap Outfitters in Waynesboro by far. Excellent, too, with warranty issues.

Agreed. I was having shoe issues and found a brand new pair of Merrell's in the hiker box. These shoes made it all the way to Manchester Center, VT. Did get some great stuff at that outfitter and the staff is great!

slow-n-steady
05-08-2009, 00:24

I was at this store, a bunch of dead animals and people walking around calling themselves outfitters didn't impress me tons of cabela's product not much else
I was looking for a Vargo Alochol stove they sent me to the marine department I guess boats have alochol stoves.
I guess if you are new to hiking or a hunter it's impressive, but mostly a tourist trap

The Mechanical Man
05-08-2009, 02:52
I was at this store, a bunch of dead animals and people walking around calling themselves outfitters didn't impress me tons of cabela's product not much else
I was looking for a Vargo Alochol stove they sent me to the marine department I guess boats have alochol stoves.
I guess if you are new to hiking or a hunter it's impressive, but mostly a tourist trap

Slow N Steady, you forgot to mention what your favorite outfitters is?

AND.......I notice you have just joined Whiteblaze recently, but did not make public any personal information about yourself. :(

I happen to have a good friend with the exact same trail name, and I wonder why you decided to get involved and post about this issue, before you let anyone know any information about yourself? Not that any of that really matters.

FYI, That is EXACTLY what makes Cabelas my favorite outfitters along the AT in PA. :welcome
Of course the place is full of folks that are not attuned to ultra light weight backpacking, what did you expect?
Cabelas IS a tourist destination, just like all the other places mentioned here.

Anyone that goes looking for a Vargo alcohol stove in Cabelas, ...........:D:D:D

slow-n-steady
05-08-2009, 07:29
Slow N Steady, you forgot to mention what your favorite outfitters is?

AND.......I notice you have just joined Whiteblaze recently, but did not make public any personal information about yourself. :(

I happen to have a good friend with the exact same trail name, and I wonder why you decided to get involved and post about this issue, before you let anyone know any information about yourself? Not that any of that really matters.

FYI, That is EXACTLY what makes Cabelas my favorite outfitters along the AT in PA. :welcome
Of course the place is full of folks that are not attuned to ultra light weight backpacking, what did you expect?
Cabelas IS a tourist destination, just like all the other places mentioned here.

Anyone that goes looking for a Vargo alcohol stove in Cabelas, ...........:D:D:D

He is your answers read them forgt them and then kindly crawl back in your hole
All-time favorite is Neptue's in Boulder CO.
On The A.T. Winton's place Mt Crossing, Alpine and Princess Brat are great folks Lived in GA for 15 years worked there before I was transfered here

Sorry Cowboy I'm Straight you don't need my personal information
You wonder to much, I was transfered to PA for work, I'm not your friend, just a hiker, that's why every now and then I will check out this site.
However after this crap It's safe to assume it will be the last
Who do you think you are to pose a hundred questions to me anyway?

I happen to own an older model that I purchased years ago, when I was passing thru That area I stopped looking for one. they didn't know of them.
Found one outside of Harrisburg .
Now if you don't mind go away, stay away is that clear enough for you or do you need a map?

Ridge Rat
05-08-2009, 09:17
Edge Of The Woods Outfitters, call Chuck and Rachel at (570-421-6681).

Great folks , here is the Website....

http://www.edgeofthewoodsoutfitters.com/home.html

Chuck and Rachel are great. I go out of my way to goto edge of the woods all the time. They always have great sales on clothing and gear. They're friendly and helpful, and they remember their customers. Last summer I worked in outdoor education for the summer in jersey and would pass up pro deals for the service that comes from edge of the woods.

Jester2000
05-08-2009, 18:41

Possibly not, but if you post on an AT-related website about your favorite "Outfitter," other people are going to point out that it's not what most people would consider a backpacking outfitter. For, you know, the sake of accuracy. And I will point out, though it may do no good here, that someone so concerned about negativity surprises us all when they post this:

As you yourself pointed out, none of this matters. Which begs the question, why bring it up? Who cares if he recently joined, or doesn't list his info, or (gasp!) has the same name as a friend of yours? Why badger someone because they want to point out what Cabelas is or isn't?

Don't be surprised when you say this:

. . .Cabela's PA store really has everything . . .

Followed by this:

and people call you on it.

As for me, my favorite outfitter on the trail is, um, the one that employs me.

Patrickjd9
05-08-2009, 23:09
I'll second Rockfish Gap Outfitters. Good, practical gear without getting lost in the world of fashion.

The Mechanical Man
05-10-2009, 22:27
He is your answers read them forgt them and then kindly crawl back in your hole
All-time favorite is Neptue's in Boulder CO.
On The A.T. Winton's place Mt Crossing, Alpine and Princess Brat are great folks Lived in GA for 15 years worked there before I was transfered here

Sorry Cowboy I'm Straight you don't need my personal information
You wonder to much, I was transfered to PA for work, I'm not your friend, just a hiker, that's why every now and then I will check out this site.
However after this crap It's safe to assume it will be the last
Who do you think you are to pose a hundred questions to me anyway?

I happen to own an older model that I purchased years ago, when I was passing thru That area I stopped looking for one. they didn't know of them.
Found one outside of Harrisburg .
Now if you don't mind go away, stay away is that clear enough for you or do you need a map?

You are funny. :D

The Mechanical Man
05-10-2009, 22:31
Possibly not, but if you post on an AT-related website about your favorite "Outfitter," other people are going to point out that it's not what most people would consider a backpacking outfitter. For, you know, the sake of accuracy. And I will point out, though it may do no good here, that someone so concerned about negativity surprises us all when they post this:

As you yourself pointed out, none of this matters. Which begs the question, why bring it up? Who cares if he recently joined, or doesn't list his info, or (gasp!) has the same name as a friend of yours? Why badger someone because they want to point out what Cabelas is or isn't?

Don't be surprised when you say this:

Followed by this:

and people call you on it.

As for me, my favorite outfitter on the trail is, um, the one that employs me.

You are pathetic, I will pray for you. :D

Mike Way
05-11-2009, 09:35
The best so far, Mt. Rodgers Outfitters in Damacus, Va and Rockfish Gap Outfitters in Waynesboro, Va. This is based on having a variety of gear choices, a thru hiker to answer questions and a willingness to help.

Skyline
05-11-2009, 09:47
Rockfish Gap Outfitters and Mt. Rogers Outfitters are good. Long-term businesses with qualified staff.

Wilderness Voyagers in Harrisonburg VA (west of Swift Run Gap in SNP via US33) is in their league. Winton and crew at Neel Gap are also.

Up-and-coming: Evergreen Outfitters and Appalachian Outdoors Adventures—both in Luray (west of Thornton Gap in SNP).

Jeff
05-11-2009, 11:53
Mountain Goat in Manchester Center, VT is outstanding especially with proper shoe fit and other foot related issues. EMS also in Manchester is good as well...sometimes depends on who you get to work with.

Really nice to have two quality outfitters in the same trail town.

Jester2000
05-12-2009, 09:19
You are pathetic, I will pray for you. :D

Nice comeback. Thanks for the prayers!

flemdawg1
05-12-2009, 10:17
I liked the Happy Hiker in Gatlinburg more than BMO in Hot Springs. HH seemed to have a better variety of everything.

No experience w/ the others, will hit Uncle Johnny's in October.

Chaco Taco
05-12-2009, 14:58
You are funny. :D

And you wonder why Kirby wont apologize to you:rolleyes: he was right

Jack Tarlin
05-13-2009, 14:38
Chaco:

Since you asked, here are my favorite outfitters on the Trail, in no particular order:

*Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap, Blairsville GA
*Bluff Mountain Outfitters, Hot Springs NC
*Mt. Rogers Outfitters, Damascus VA
*The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry WV

I also like the shops in Daleville and Waynesboro VA.

I also look forward someday to speaking well of shops that are located in the Northern part of the Trail.

Someday.

flemdawg1
05-13-2009, 17:10
Whats wrong w/ the outfitters in the North?

Jester2000
05-13-2009, 19:24
Whats wrong w/ the outfitters in the North?

Well, there aren't very many of them close to the trail, first of all. And possibly because there are fewer people attempting thru-hikes the farther north you go, the ones that do exist don't cater as much to long distance hikers.

Blissful
05-13-2009, 19:45
There are two pretty good ones in Manchester Center, VT

The one in Gorham is ok but small.

The Mechanical Man
05-15-2009, 23:40
[quote=flemdawg1;838179]Whats wrong w/ the outfitters in the North?[/quote

No grits. :D