PDA

View Full Version : what's for lunch??

smokymtnsteve
06-12-2004, 15:37
how about a fresh picked Brook lettuce salad with taboule drizzled with olive oil

and veggie burgers with hummus and sauted sundried tomatoes with onion and garlic.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=50920

Pencil Pusher
06-12-2004, 16:44
She certainly is taking her time hiking the trail. I don't even eat that good at home.

smokymtnsteve
06-12-2004, 16:46
she is not eating like this now..these are some pics of when chicken and I were traveling together earlier this spring.

jbwood5
06-12-2004, 16:53
I don't see how long distance hikers can survive on vegies and salads. After 3 weeks of eating anything I can get my hands on, I still lose tremendous amounts of weight hiking and I don't have a lot of extra to start with. This year, I lost so much weight after 3 weeks on the trail that my pack belt was cinched up to its maximum tightness. This is a Gregory Shasta Medium. Darn good thing I didn't get a large :D . Give me large amounts of peanut butter, pre-cooked bacon, Mountain House dinners, Mac and Cheese, etc. Let me loose in town and the first thing I want is the largest burger and fries you can get (ahhh.. The Port Clinton Hotel :D ). Then I got to have a pint of ice cream.

I heard that the Indian interruptation of "vegitarian" is... "Bad Hunter" :D . I heard this from a fellow hiker 2 years ago and I have to chuckle everytime I hear about a vegitarian hiker. I guess we really are all different.:-?

Just John

smokymtnsteve
06-12-2004, 17:01
you can get plenty of good nutrition and calories in veggie-tarin food..why olive oil is the most calorie dense food there is.

grains, are just full of energy, why whole grain pancakes and fruit covered in honey is a lot more breakfast than I see a lot of hikers eat.

while I don't thru hike (don't want to ,,hate the hot weather) my 2 month hike this spring was around 500 miles.

you should try the black bean soup w sauted sundrieds and cilantro corn fritters some time...no pic available

Pencil Pusher
06-18-2004, 02:37
How about fresh crab (caught this afternoon)? I just had some... the nice part of living next to the ocean. Just crab with nothing added; I'm a simple man, Steve.

squirrel bait
06-18-2004, 07:59
mmmmmm.........precooked bacon.......wrap in tortilla smeared with peanut butter drizzled with honey....mmmmmmmmm

smokymtnsteve
06-18-2004, 08:11
How about fresh crab (caught this afternoon)? I just had some... the nice part of living next to the ocean. Just crab with nothing added; I'm a simple man, Steve.

sounds good PP, I'm on the way out! :D

Here on the right-handed coast we have the blue crabs..

I like to catch them , live dress.

and then grill them in the ever present OLIVE OIL and GARLIC!

squirrel bait
06-18-2004, 08:21
Don't go to the wrong coast SMS, catch the blue's off my dock and run as fast as you can upstairs in my house and fry in butter and old bay. Throw some into boiling water. Pick tomatoes, peppers, basil and endive out of my containers and add olive oil and mozzerella. Drink beer, enjoy.

smokymtnsteve
06-18-2004, 08:26
I took a chance this year a set out some tomatoe plants before I left hiking this late march..I have been picking tomatoes for about 3 weeks ...

for breakfast this morning I'm having grits with olive oil and fresh picked tomatoes...a liitle dash of black pepper and of course some GARLIC!

squirrel bait
06-18-2004, 08:32
For lunch today,.......softshells,........mmmmmm the little legs and eyes are really good, fresh coleslaw and iced tea the real way they make it here in the south.

smokymtnsteve
06-18-2004, 08:44
can you still use a beach seine net in the outer banks? .we used to beach seine for shrimp behind St Simons Island on the GA coast. I also enjoy cast netting.

squirrel bait
06-18-2004, 08:58
Yes, the most common spot seems to be under the bridge at Oregon Inlet. Ya have to watch the tides cause the amount of water (the whole Pamlico Sound system) empties out of there and can create manymany problems. Remember there is a limit for shrimp, one, seine net only, two, there are open and closed areas for shrimping and this is kinda of confusing, in the closed areas you can only keep 100 per day, in the open areas it is unlimited. For recreational seining this really doesn't apply to you but is applicable to the commercial shrimpers. FYI the limit for blue crabs is 50 per day with a 5" minimum. Besides eating the shrimp are really really good bait for Pompano in the close surf, don't cast to far they literally right at your feet. Shrimp kabobs mmmmmmm.