PDA

View Full Version : Recipe - No Cook Lunch

LaurieAnn
05-05-2009, 09:34
Sunny Garlic Hummus

Dehydration time: 5 to 7 hours
Makes 2 to 4 servings

Hummus is one of the easiest things to make for a trail lunch, and this one has the sunny flavor of oranges.

1 19-ounce can chickpeas - rinsed and drained
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon lime juice
2 cloves garlic
1 heaping teaspoon orange zest
2 tablespoons tahini
Pinch of kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper

At Home
Combine and blend all the ingredients using a food processor or hand blender until you have a thick paste. Spread evenly on lined dehydrator trays, keeping the mixture about 1/4 inch thick. Dry for 5 to 7 hours or until the mixture crumbles and is thoroughly dry. Store in a medium ziplock freezer bag.

At Camp
Rehydrate the hummus using a formula of 1 1/2 parts dried mix to 1 part water. Wait 5 to 10 minutes and then add a little more water if it’s too dry. Serve as a dip with Greek pitas or your favorite crackers or use as a spread in a wrap.

Tip
If you need to increase your fat intake for cold-weather hiking, drizzle a little olive oil on the hummus just before you eat it.

Courtesy A Fork in the Trail ©2008

I tried this yesterday with crispbread and it was also a great way to enjoy the hummus. A fellow who goes by oregonhiker gave me that tip on one of my blogs.

darkage
05-07-2009, 00:55
I'm not a big fan of chickpeas, but i think i'm gonna give this a try ... I'm also now interested in tracking down more "dip" type rehydrated idea's to go between the tuna/cheese/salami tortillas. =]

seedog
05-07-2009, 07:39
When I was in college back in the day, I had no idea what hummas was. All I knew was that the hippies ate it and it would probably taint my conservative upbriging. Boy was I wrong. I love the stuff now. On occasion I can find shelf stable singles of hummas and pack it on a hike. I've wanted to try making my own, and I'll give this one a go on Saturday. Thanks.

gearfreak
05-07-2009, 07:55
Here's one that's similar. I've tried it several times and it's excellent! :cool:

http://www.wildernesscooking.com/carlsbad-dip.htm

HeartFire
05-07-2009, 08:25
I don't have a specific recipe for this but you can blenderize a can of tuna with a can of beans (I use white beans) add some salsa or hot sauce etc to spice it up, dehydrate, and you are done. It drys into a powder and rehydrates very easily. Very high protein, very tasty. It dehydrates very quickly.

Wonder
05-07-2009, 09:28
I'm not a big fan of chickpeas, but i think i'm gonna give this a try ... I'm also now interested in tracking down more "dip" type rehydrated idea's to go between the tuna/cheese/salami tortillas. =]

I'm not a big fan either......but I LOVE garlic hummus. FOr my last hike, I got a couple boxes of the pre-dried stuff at the natural foods store, and added part of a mini bottle of garlic olive oil (got it at World Market, I think) YUM to the highest degree

LaurieAnn
05-08-2009, 15:57
There is also one on the wilderness cooking website for a Roasted Tomato Dip (http://www.wildernesscooking.com/backpacker-recipes-dip.html) if you really like tomatoes.

LaurieAnn
06-20-2009, 23:49
At the bottom of this article you'll find the beginning of my recipe for
White Bean, Walnut and Pomegranate Dip (it continues on page 2)...

Calgary Herald (http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/real_life_outside/story.html?id=d081b2e5-21a3-4bcb-b87e-2d35f0b50a0b&p=1)

It's just a little bit different and is another recipe that rehydrates with cool water negating the use of a stove at lunch.

LaurieAnn
06-20-2009, 23:54
Here's one that's similar. I've tried it several times and it's excellent! :cool:

http://www.wildernesscooking.com/carlsbad-dip.htm

That's my friend's recipe and it is simply delicious.

Mrs Baggins
06-21-2009, 08:47
I don't have an actual recipe with exact measurements, but when I make hummus I use

chickpeas
tahaini
fresh garlic
olive oil
roasted red peppers
jalapenos
salt and pepper

I just put it all in the food processor and mix it up. I like it with a slightly coarse texture, not completely pureed. I make it for family get togethers and it always gets eaten done to the last morsel.

LaurieAnn
06-21-2009, 09:01
Mrs. Baggins... you are like me. It was funny when I was writing the book because I actually had to measure everything... something new for me... when I am cooking for myself, I just eyeball it.

Wise Old Owl
06-21-2009, 10:14
I like hummus on the trail, and as a section hiker dehydration is not necessary. Why? After lightening up the backpack, a few ounces of hummus isn't a factor and it does not spoil as fast as you might think. But if you want to take that step go ahead.

I was watching a Nat Geo a couple of months back and some Egyptians were camped for the night and you guessed it Hummus and flat bread in large quantity's. They had to bring it in already prepared somehow. They just didn't make it there on the trail. So they must have some way of keeping it I yet do not understand.

It's a hot country and their style of prep & avoiding spoilage is an advantage.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/food.htm

Found it: it has a two week shelf life if kept cool

LaurieAnn
06-21-2009, 11:50
For me it's not just a weight thing but also a bulk thing. You see I carry some of my little boy's gear too so I like to reduce as much bulk in the pack as I can. Drying the hummus cuts the bulk down by 1/2 to 3/4. Great to know it will keep though... just in case I need to take something at the last minute and don't have time to dry it. Thanks :)

Wise Old Owl
06-21-2009, 14:12
our humus has 12 days shelf live, and we use citric acid as an ingredient to add an acidic taste and as preservative, and the final mixing the temperature should not exceed 8 Celsius before packing.I found a lot of our competitors are using E202(potassium sorbate) and E211(sodium benzoate) and concentrations between 0.2 to 1% which kind of testings should we do to have the safest concentration we are a major producer of humus in the uk. 3 weeks is very ambitious no matter what preservative is being used. We use both mentioned preservatives at no more than 1% and can achieve 15 days comfortably with potassium and i think its 18 days with both. Although the trend at minute is to remove all preservatives and reduce salt. As this product is susceptible to extreme yeast growth fermentation especially during the summer is still a problem even with these levels of preservative. 1% is the limit of preservatives i would use. I'm not to sure if citric acid is that good a preservative, it is used mainly as an acidulator lowering pH this will not reduce yeast growth considerably but will control pathogenic growth.

from the internet,

ithai
07-10-2009, 13:53
Thanks for the recipe. looks interesting!

LaurieAnn
07-10-2009, 14:00
You're welcome... hope you like it.