PDA

View Full Version : What's on your feet?

jrnj5k
05-05-2009, 10:36
Im just trying to get an idea of what people wear when hiking. Feel free to mention why you wear what you wear.

earlyriser26
05-05-2009, 10:46
Old school, Vasque hiker II, must be a good 5 lbs, but they will stop a bullet

rainmakerat92
05-05-2009, 10:50
I wear Nike Air Trail Runners with Spenco footbeds because they are light and comfortable and I notice a decreased amount of foot pain and foot fatigue when I wear them. I haven't worn boots since I hiked the PCT (1999 - 2001), and saw all the evidence of "foot mangling" caused by boots, especially leather boots.

My shoes have over 1,000 miles on them. I've reglued the soles once.

vamelungeon
05-05-2009, 10:51
Hi-tec natal mid wp
http://www.hi-tec.com/us/47836-product-natal_mid_wp-all.html

Slimer
05-05-2009, 10:58
The old model Montrail Hardrocks.

Lyle
05-05-2009, 11:02
Vasque Blurs (just bought a pair of Vasque Breeze - haven't hiked in them yet) with Orange Superfeet. Most comfortable hiking ever.

Upset with Superfeet. They changed the design of the Orange model, and now they take up too much room in the shoes - throw the fit off. Will have to change insoles now. Why do companies always think they have to "improve" on a good thing?

Yukon
05-05-2009, 11:07
Asolo 520's for backpacking trips, North Face Ultra 104's for day hikes and peak bagging...

darkage
05-05-2009, 11:14
Currently A pair of Merrell Chameleon Evo' .... Light, fit my foot like a glove and best fitting overall for "MY" feet ....

jrnj5k
05-05-2009, 11:14
I wear Nike Air Trail Runners

Campmor says that the Nike Air Wildtrail ACG Hiking Shoe is 13.6 ounces for the pair....is that true?

Kanati
05-05-2009, 11:36
Just picked up my old Vasque Wasatch form the cobbler this morning. The sides were cut out where they bend from the wet conditions in New England last summer. I had the holes patched and they look great, but the insoles are wornout. I have about 1400 miles on these. Must replace them but I'm not sure what to use. In most peoples opinion, are the Superfeet insoles considered to be the best? I saw the post on the orange ones. Can they be trimmed to fit? Thanks

MintakaCat
05-05-2009, 11:39
Asolo FSN 95 GTX Hiking Boots. I never even think about them when I hike, but I guess thats a sign of an excellent boot.

Many Walks
05-05-2009, 11:41
I've done Lowa, Vasque, Asolo and settled into Merrells.

Merrell Moab Ventilator trail runners for lighter hikes. On longer hikes over rough terrain with more gear I wear Merrell Outland Mid boots. Both have Spenco Backpacker insoles. I also have good luck with Keens.

Chenango
05-05-2009, 11:54
I love my Merrell Moab Venilators. I use green Superfeet insoles.

Blissful
05-05-2009, 15:00
Brooks Adrenaline ASRs with spenco hiker insoles

Mrs Baggins
05-05-2009, 15:55
Hi-Tech Altitude IV, high cut, waterproof, my own "home built" super arch supports of arch support full length insoles and extra arch supports under those. Wouldn't matter what boot/sandal/trail runner I wore I'd still have to do that. Collapsing arches. Cheaper than paying the $300 for Rx orthotics and it works spectacularly well for me. The Hi-Tecs are all I will ever wear for hiking.

garlic08
05-05-2009, 16:18
New Balance 8XX with blue superfeet.

bigcranky
05-05-2009, 16:30
Salomon XA Comp three-season, XA Pro XCR in snow.

blackyjones
05-05-2009, 18:28
Asolo 535. Non Goretex. Greatest Boot Ive Ever Bought. And Ive Had Alot.

Hooch
05-05-2009, 18:36
Dunham, but they've stopped making them. :mad: Thinking about switching to Vasque or Merrell if I can find them wide enough.

sheepdog
05-05-2009, 18:42
boots, gotta have ankle support

river1
05-05-2009, 19:15
No boots for me just a pair Vasque Catalyst and a pair of 2009 Montrail Hardrocks, both are great trail shoes.

Roan Creeper
05-05-2009, 19:22
I don't do massive mileage, but I wear trail runners when I do (except in snow). I bought some North Face Prophecy's today 50% off at Gander Mountain. :)

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-05-2009, 19:28
Campmor says that the Nike Air Wildtrail ACG Hiking Shoe is 13.6 ounces for the pair....is that true?
Mine are last years but they weighed 13.6 ounces per shoe. By the Way I love mine as well.

Sidewinder
05-05-2009, 19:33
sandals for me, cause they're cool

Homer&Marje
05-05-2009, 19:42
Wear heavy ankle support boots....torn ligaments too many times...thankfully never while hiking. Probably because of the boots.

Wore ASOLO for 14 years and just switched to HI TEC V-Lites. Have 100 miles in them so far and love them.

toothpick
05-05-2009, 19:50
Really like my Merrells'. They are light and durable. Only drawback is that they are not waterproof.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-05-2009, 19:53
I'm no fan of water proof they just make my feet sweat and I end up with boots full of sweat lol. I like something that resists water though

vonfrick
05-05-2009, 22:53
sandals for me, cause they're cool

me too, cuz i wanna be cool like sidewinder :cool:

Reid
05-05-2009, 23:11
I wear sandals mostley, but they don't hold me up good when on rough terrain so I switch to my trail runners.

Marta
05-06-2009, 06:58
For spring, summer, and fall wear Chacos with socks. (Cool in the literal sense. In the other sense...The Fashion Police haven't gotten me yet.) In winter, NB trail runners with custom insoles.

CowHead
05-06-2009, 09:32
I got the a pair of New Balance trail runners fit and work great I also have boots, sandals and on occassion I just hike barefoot

RockDoc
05-07-2009, 20:33
Vasque Breeze currently. Sturdy and reliable.
Stayed dry in soggy weather that soaked all the trail runners instantly.

Red Hat
05-07-2009, 20:39
New Balance 800 series All Terrain trail runners... presently the 811s, but I saw the new 812s and they look sweet too. I've been through them every year since 2003 and no blisters to date. I use Smartwool socks with them and a pair of Sealskin socks on top if it is especially wet and cold.

Kerosene
05-08-2009, 09:24
Garmont Eclipse GTX, weighing in at about 2.5 pounds for a pair of men's size 11 with orthotics. I love the fit of the boots, but my next pair won't have a waterproof/breathable(!) barrier. The outsoles on these boots wore out too quickly, however.

I loved how my old Vasque Clarion's fit me, and I've tried Vasque and North Face trail runners with limited success. I've found that I need a very sturdy toe rand and sufficient footbed cushioning to avoid bruising from rocks, which tends to push me toward mid-weight boots. I can't figure out if I want to try a mesh shoe, sacrificing any water-resistance for breathability, or apply waterproofing to a leather/fabric boot. My feet sweat, a lot, but it is counter-intuitive to me to think that mesh shoes will really dry out that fast if I'm wearing any sort of sock.

mooseboy
05-08-2009, 13:19
Go Asolo! MintakaCat, I have the exact same FSN's! Great boots, IMO much better than the Vasque Sundowners I used before (the lining on the Vasques started to go after less than 200 mi. of hiking)...

Asolo FSN's felt great right out of the box, didn't really need "breaking-in" time. Though I have a wide toebox, so I generally leave the bottom 1-2 eyelets unlaced.

Bad Co
05-08-2009, 16:32
An old friend caught wind I was hitting the AT in June for a few months after a 23 year absents
Sent me a pair of Columbia Razor Ridge II
Burl if you are out there Thanks

calculating infinity
05-10-2009, 01:09
i mostly wear sandals but if the ground is exceptionally bad or if im in an area with a lot of poison ivy ill wear some adidas trail runners.

Shiraz-mataz
05-11-2009, 06:29
If I wear anything at all it's Teva Terra-Fi 2 sandals.

Frau
05-11-2009, 06:44
Vasque Breeze (GTX) now. BUT, I wear trail runners, too. There should have been an answer available for BOTH. I love my Merrel Moab Ventilators and have numerous hundred miles on them. I have switched to the Breeze just for chigger and tick protection in the summer (with gaiters) AND to protect me from my propensity to slip into creeks in the winter.

Frau

Engine
05-11-2009, 19:37
Blisters. :D

CrumbSnatcher
05-11-2009, 20:36
98'&99' montrail moraines-heavyside mid-weight boots. (some reason i wore one boot a thousand miles in 99'with no insole at all.just my foot on the hard plastic bottom! i think the boot shrank and it just helped my bad blister better,it really didn't bother me. probably no worse than tapping chaco's to my feet in maine two different years the toe stap wears out and duct tape was cheaper than new shoe's)
02'-present. chaco z1 sandels(with the terreno soles)
had one pair of z2's they sucked.

Grinder
05-12-2009, 12:50
I just bought a pair of Saucony Grid Excursion TR3 Trail Runners at Sports Authority.

The interesting new gimmick I fell for is "insurance" for $4.99.

I get 13 months replacement for anything (faall apart, wear em out, etc.,per the clerk) Bring em in and get a new pair.

I figured for $5, what the hell.

On the sizing, I had to go up to 10 1/2 (from my normal 9 1/2) to get a good feel in the toe box. I wore hiking wool socks and brought my old tight Montrails to directly compare the fit.

I'm hopeful.

garlic08
05-12-2009, 13:05
The interesting new gimmick I fell for is "insurance" for $4.99.

I get 13 months replacement for anything (fall apart, wear em out, etc.,per the clerk) Bring em in and get a new pair.

I figured for $5, what the hell.

Wow! If I knew I had a way to return them when needed, I'd definitely try that out, considering I went through six pairs in the last 13 months. Arizona is tough on shoes, even in winter. The only problem would be on a thru hike, how would you return them? Maybe buy two pairs with "insurance", alternate them somehow, and you'd still be ahead. Let us know if it works out!

If you did just fall for a gimmick (hope not), that $5 is pure profit for the store, just like in the electronics and power tool stores. They make nearly zero profit on the sale, so the warrantee boosts profits incredibly.

hawkeye
05-12-2009, 16:15
I see NB is making a boot now called the 1201.Has anyone tried these? I was looking for a mid cut boot made by Dunham. I have the low cut Waffle Stomper but I am having some issues with my left ankle. I am doing 9 days in Vermont come July.

Mother's Finest
05-12-2009, 16:56
don't matter the brand

it just has to fit properly

peace
mf

JuiceBox
05-31-2009, 13:28
Boots all the way. I've taken enough falls to know that I'd roll my ankle in anything else. I've got an old pair of High Tec hikers right now that are killing my arches, I'm hoping to pick up a nice pair of Merrell's for cheap soon.

medicjimr
05-31-2009, 13:37
Hi Tec altitude iv with Dr soles jelling inserts comfy

SassyWindsor
05-31-2009, 22:39
Well stomped Scarpa Boots.

Dogwood
06-01-2009, 01:47
Wow, hikers do like to answer questions about their gear. Don't they?

Just some comments. I started thru-hiking in light wt. boots - Vasque Breezes, about 4 yrs ago. Since that time I have tended toward trail runners for 3 season thru-hiking on established trails with UL pack wts. When I thru-hiked the AT in 06 Hiawassee resembled a medical clinic with a great many potential thru-hikers side-lined with leg, foot, ankle, hip, and back problems. For some of them, their injuries were so severe their trips ended there. I'll guess that 80-90 % of the injured in Hiawassee were wearing trail runners. Many of them had started out with heavier pack wts., little or no thru-hiking experience, and lacked physical and mental thru-hiking conditioning. In addition, many of them had shot out of the starting gate with a beat the clock where is the checkered flag mentality.

I'm not here to take sides or say what is right for all, as I can barely figure out what's right for me, but anyone who is considering a shoe for hiking, whether it be a sandal, trail runner, or boot might want to consider what shoe is right for them based upon their own physical hiking condition when they start out hiking(ask yourself if you have any previous issues with leg joints, feet, arthritis, back problems, etc) that may require a more supportive shoe(as your body gets stronger and more in rhythem with the rigors of hiking one could possibly look at a lighter or less supportive shoe), the terrain of the trail(is any off trail bushwacking involved), total wt. carried(heavier pack wts. typically require a more supportive shoe), expected daily mileage, etc. In addition, new materials and designs can sometimes blurr the lines between what has been traditionally thought of as a boot or a trail runner or a sandal. All boots don't now resemble those European mountaineering heavy leather Frankenstein style boots that will last for years but require significant break in time. Some trail runners are much more supportive than others and some models and manufacturers offer mid top trail runners. Trail runners are not always designed to support your body adequately when carrying high(above 35 lbs) pack wts. Newer models of sandals don't have to resemble something that Moses wore in the desert. Some sandals now offer good to excellent protection and supportive soles and arches.

As I've thru-hiked more and more I've learned over and over again that if my dogs are not happy it doesn't matter the price, wt, how high tech, etc. all the rest of my gear is, or how many miles I can potentially hike in a day, if I don't have my shoes dialed in I put my hike in jeopardy.

World-Wide
06-01-2009, 02:03
Well stomped Scarpa Boots.

Scarpa Kailash GTX's. Took them right out of the box and did a 4-hour hike that had several very steep ascents/decents ranging from 300-620 feet. (no gradual climbs, straight up and straight down) Not one blister by days end! :D World-Wide

m6amba
06-01-2009, 02:27
for almost all hikes, Go-lite storm dragons,(sized same as NB running shoes) Dr Scholls jelly insoles with Smart Wool adrenaline mini crews

if its going to be particularly muddy, or cold out, i have some Rocky Trail Blazers, and some thicker wool socks ( i love rocky boots, have worn them since i was 10, fit MY feet perfectly)

i am blessed with very strong ankles, so i dont need the boots for protection, and have worn the trail runners with over 35lbs x 10miles a day, with NO issues whatsoever

as a side note, on an early season trip with a friend of mine, i convinced him to wear his NB trail runners instead of his big ol boots, and he was very happy with his decision, he's a trail runner convert now

and on my last day trip with my uncle, we had to turn back because his nautica "hiking" boots "blew up", he stepped right out of the outsoles, and was left hiking on the midsoles, was pretty funny, at least we were near the car, he will now be hiking in his trail runners until he can afford another pair of actual hiking boots this time.
lol

here is the link to the album from that "short day-hike"
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2009834&id=1222501212&l=c611be0b55

m6amba
06-01-2009, 02:27
for almost all hikes, Go-lite storm dragons,(sized same as NB running shoes) Dr Scholls jelly insoles with Smart Wool adrenaline mini crews

if its going to be particularly muddy, or cold out, i have some Rocky Trail Blazers, and some thicker wool socks ( i love rocky boots, have worn them since i was 10, fit MY feet perfectly)

i am blessed with very strong ankles, so i dont need the boots for protection, and have worn the trail runners with over 35lbs x 10miles a day, with NO issues whatsoever

as a side note, on an early season trip with a friend of mine, i convinced him to wear his NB trail runners instead of his big ol boots, and he was very happy with his decision, he's a trail runner convert now

and on my last day trip with my uncle, we had to turn back because his nautica "hiking" boots "blew up", he stepped right out of the outsoles, and was left hiking on the midsoles, was pretty funny, at least we were near the car, he will now be hiking in his trail runners until he can afford another pair of actual hiking boots this time.
lol

here is the link to the album from that "short day-hike"
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2009834&id=1222501212&l=c611be0b55

m6amba
06-01-2009, 02:29
oops......sorry about the double post

Safari
06-01-2009, 04:58
Keen Voyageur's, fantastically comfortable cut down leather trail shoes... but I must confess to padding along in a pair of Merrell or Teva sandals as often as weather (and terrain) allows, free the feet and your inner hippy...
and your foot cheese for that matter!

m6amba
06-01-2009, 05:24
foot cheese= NASTY

lol

LockJaww
06-01-2009, 10:15
Depends on terrain and conditions :
Converse military Desert Boots for high and dry typical Arizona trails
or
Alico Summit... all leather stitched sole manley man Frankenstein tree stomping scat kickin' clodhoppers.....

ShoelessWanderer
06-01-2009, 16:25
Tevas! I recently hiked Mt. Roger's and half way to the trail realized I'd left my boots 3 hours behind in my car. Was a little worried about attempting the hike in Tevas, but it worked great! Even better than it would have in boots. I am now wearing them on all my hikes!

Wise Old Owl
06-01-2009, 23:30
:rolleyes:This week ? New Balance & Ben Gay...... thick socks....:rolleyes:

The smell keeps the skeeters away.

lvleph
06-05-2009, 16:43
I wear vibram five fingers or go barefoot. I suppose if it were too cold for that I would wear trainers.

vonfrick
06-05-2009, 17:20
i know i already posted on this, but today i just ordered new neoprenes for this summer, LT and the wilderness planned. i wear liners, wool socks and these over all, inside tevas. totally comfy, never a blister, clean and DRY socks and feet at the end of the day. (moisture from sweat dries easily overnight) and i don't have to take anything off to ford or in rain. what's real nice is just to stand in any cold running water and get to cool my feet without actually getting wet. i tried another brand and they were not waterproof like these. i highly recommend them. my last pair lasted 700 miles before one of the seams split and i was able to fix them with a 2 dollar tire patch kit i got at a mini-mart. sealskins look wimpy to me. wouldn't waste the money. these go for $25 or so + shipping.

http://chotooutdoorgear.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=34_41&products_id=66

Jo-To
06-18-2009, 16:33
I picked up a pair of Keen Targhees IIs. So far I loving them. I have about a hundred or so trail miles on them,plus I wear for everyday use alot. Next wek I start my section hike in SNP,so I guess they'll really be tested then over the next 2 wks.

Cannibal
06-18-2009, 16:42
I marked "boots", but it really depends on where I'm going and what time of year. Current CT thru planning is calling for "trail runners".

JoshStover
08-22-2009, 21:43
I have three differents pair to choice from. If its warmer and not to rocky i wear Vibram Five Fingers. If its still warm but rocky I wear my Chacos with a thing pair of Darn Toughs. When its cold or really muddy or Im putting in 20+ miles I wear my trusty old Merrell Chameleon Mids. I love the Merrells. I have been through atleast 4 pair of them and plan to get another pair when these are shot.

Trailweaver
08-23-2009, 02:17
I wear a pair of very old Hi-tech boots because I feel I need the ankle support. I wore them the first time on a three day hike, and never had a blister at all. Haven't ever had a problem with them, and would buy the same kind again. It's like they were made just for me.

royalusa
08-23-2009, 11:46
Salomon Trail Runners.

Frau
08-23-2009, 16:33
I like my old Hi-Tecs, but the inner liner round the heal wore thru. I LOVE my Merrell Moab Ventilators, Low Top. I have two pair off Vasque Gore-tex boots. They will do because I don't put in too many miles in a row. My all-time favorites are the Merrell Moab Ventilators, though, and I will buy another pair shortly. Wish I could find them on sale!

Frau

toegem
08-24-2009, 10:39
Recently I bought the Vasque Breeze Lows, I've been wearing Italian made Sundowners that I've had resoled twice. I'm hoping that I like these low tops as much as I like my SDers. I'll get a chance to try them out a week from Fri on a sect. of the AT. I'm so looking foreward to getting out of the flat lands.

winger
08-25-2009, 16:14
Asolo Fugitive.

Jonnycat
08-27-2009, 22:11
Currently wearing Vasque Summit boots. Big, heavy suckers. They have already saved my bacon on more than one occasion, and from the few patches of snow that I experimented on, they seem to grip the snow pretty well, too.

In the varied type of terrain that I cover throughout the year, boots are the only logical solution for me.

Erin
08-28-2009, 01:02
Vasque sundowners. I love them and they are comfortable but I need to find a lighter boot with the same ankle support. I have worn out the innards several times. I gave them to myself for my 40th birthday. I will be 48 soon. Yikes! Suggestions welcome!

bpitt
09-01-2009, 16:48
Merrell Chameleon's, I think that's what they're called. I like'em.

vthiker
09-01-2009, 20:33
Scarpa D3's. I got my first pair in '94 at the Dartmouth Coop in Hanover.

They need resoling....

I have a pair that I got last year and they are even better that the first pair!

berninbush
09-10-2009, 11:54
I just tried a barefoot hike. I've been reading all the research about how going barefoot is so much healthier for your feet, so I've been going barefoot pretty much everywhere except work for a few weeks now.

I did about 3 miles barefoot and 10 miles with Tevas. I love being barefoot... I liked the connectedness with the surface I was walking on, the lack of blisters, the freedom to wiggle my toes. But I did put the sandals back on because I'm still "learning" how to step carefully without having to focus a lot of conscious attention on it. Experience barefooters say they do it as automatically as driving a car. I also need to toughen my feet up more to be able to walk on rougher surfaces.

The trail I was on had a good cushion of pine needles, but in some areas I did have to deal with thorns and sharp sticks and pine cones. Still, I think my feet got more scratched up in the sandals because I was less careful about what I was stepping on, and I got scratched with a couple of sticks that flipped up.

I was also a lot slower barefoot. Again, I attribute that mostly to the learning curve of knowing how to do it, and toughening the feet up.

SMSP
11-01-2009, 21:50
Currently using Merrell Moab Ventilators (non-GorTex) lows for everyday wear and day hiking.

I recnently bought and am very pleased with Vasque GTX Breeze. After using these in GSM with wet, slushy trail conditions, I am a believer in GorTex.

I want to try Keen's next as day hiker wear, I like the big toe box they offer.

SMSP

Bulldawg
11-01-2009, 21:58
Most anything by Keen.

Donnie
11-01-2009, 22:29
Adidas Kanadia Trail

Over 10,000 miles with Adidas and I see no reason to change.

Powell19
11-30-2009, 03:16
I go between boots and light hikers and cant decide which works best with my weak ankle. Definitely boots when the weather is nasty and cold, or the terrain is very rough.

Powell19
11-30-2009, 03:21
I'm currently breaking in a pair of Oboz Sawtooth boots. The are really sturdy and comfortable.

Maddog
11-30-2009, 07:11
Inov-8 Roclite 288 GTX...lightweight and super comfortable! :)

Quoddy
11-30-2009, 13:16
Inov-8 Roclite 288 GTX...lightweight and super comfortable! :)
I'm actually wearing a pair of Inov-8 Roclite 288's right now. The only time I wear this Gore-Tex type is in the winter. Weight is 13.4oz per boot for a size 10.5.

ShelterLeopard
11-30-2009, 13:59
Scarpa boots- really great, but one sole is slipping around, need to see if I can fix it. I also carry a pair of birkenstock arizonas for in camp and in town (and if I get blisters I'll hike with 'em on for a bit)

Lumberpat73
12-13-2009, 23:10
It depends on the climate and time of year, but lately here in New York I've been wearing my Danner Striker II. Its definately not the boot for everyone, and isn't super light, nor does it look like a fancy hiking shoe/boot, but its one of the most comfortable pairs of boots I've ever worn.

Megapixel
12-21-2009, 19:41
Vasque trail runners!

Tinker
12-21-2009, 23:32
Im just trying to get an idea of what people wear when hiking. Feel free to mention why you wear what you wear.

Trail runners - the old adage is "a pound on your feet is worth five on your back".
Starting with the pack first I was able to whittle my weight down from a weekend weight of over 30 to just over 20 (lighter in summer). I don't need all that ankle support (and friction, pressure), not to mention that low top shoes are cooler which means drier which means fewer blisters. They also dry faster when they do get wet (I don't use Gore-tex or other membranes, just nylon and leather). Waterproof socks help when it gets cold out.

mweinstone
12-21-2009, 23:36
i got nothin. toes. a heel. skin. nails. some hair. not alot or anything. not like some friggin cave ass man. and shoes. i got shoes on . whys this guy askin again? oh, just to get an idea. right. so i hope i wasnt specific. peaceout.

JoshStover
12-21-2009, 23:48
I recently replaced my Merrells with a pair of Asolo TPS 520 GV's with Superfeet insoles and I really like them so far. I have just a little over 100 miles on them so far and they do wonderful in the snow...

kombiguy
12-21-2009, 23:58
My 30 year old Fabiano boots finally gave up the ghost, so I broke down and bought a pair of Alico boots. Full grain leather uppers, Norwegian welt, Vibram montagna block soles, hand made in Italy. Real old school beauties. I look forward to getting 30 years out of these.

scooterdogma
12-22-2009, 07:48
ahh, memories ... Fabianos were my first hiking boot. Lasted forever and I credit them with my buns of steel, boy did they weigh alot! Now it's Montrail Hardrocks and Keen Targhees II. Love them both.

Lucy Lulu
12-22-2009, 08:09
Asic Trabucos w/LifeFitness Inserts

gravy4601
12-25-2009, 11:48
i need the support and dont mind the extra weight for comfort i use the Asolo 535

mweinstone
12-25-2009, 11:55
my feet have a big dummy on them all the time.

Wolfmaan
12-25-2009, 12:20
I'm one of the rare barefoot hikers. In summer 2009 I hiked the entire Bruce Trail (600 miles) barefoot.

Mr. Underhill
12-28-2009, 22:42
I've tried just about everything over the years during section hikes (1 - 2 weeks out at a time). I never found a section where I felt that boots were required. I like trail runners. Also, I never really had a pair of Gor-tex that kept my feet dry like was claimed. Walking thru wet grass and puddles for over an hour always resulted in wet feet, even with name brand footwear.

handlebar
12-28-2009, 22:56
Wow! I'm surprised it's nearly a tie between boots and trail runners. Based on my observation in '06, the vast majority of thru hikers wear trail runners. This is especially so on the PCT.

Nonetheless, I'm wearing my LaSportiva Makalus boots because they fit right and my feet aren't sore at the end of the day. Plus they're more economical than trail runners. Folks on the PCT needed at least 4 pair of runners; I used one pair of boots. Although the soles wore through, Dave, the Cobbler, in Seattle, gave them retreads and they're good as new and going to tackle the CDT this coming summer.

I did try trail runners on the PCT at the start of Oregon. While they are lighter on the feet, at the end of a 25+ mile day, my feet were very sore. Not so with the boots. Plus, the Montrail Hardrocks gave my nasty blisters. I called the PO in Cascade Locks and had my bounce bucket forwarded back to Sisters so I could switch back to the boots.

Red River Falls
12-28-2009, 23:04
a $100 pair of Merrell mid boots, not sure of the model
a bit heavy but good support and traction so far